Not for children is it?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

Not for children is it?

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:23 am

I've read numerous introductions to Eva. Most of them said this animation is for children, and many channels broadcast it at children's time, like in the afternoon. But is it really for children to watch? The ideas discussed in the animation and the philosophy was too in depth and sophisticated even for adults. And the violence and nudity, as well as the ugly side of everything, how can a child be supposed to watch such thing and then understand it gladfully, without any fear or doubt?

Take myself as an example. I first watched Eva in 1995, I was only about 5 or 6. I admired the mecha in the animation, but couldn't even understand a single idea discussed. I remember when I saw Satan in the OP I was kinda frightened, and didn't dare to look at it directly due to its 'evil' appearance. Well of course now the fear is gone and things are pretty much clearer.

So, is it really a children animation? It's not Powerpuff Girls.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:48 am

No, no it's not. But that depends on what you define as 'kids'-Is it five year old boys and girls or sixteen year old teens? I mean, seriously-The Reiquarium was explicit nudity. I'm not sure if it's only in Director's cut or something, but the Rei clones had full frontal nudity.

Now, as for EoE... The movie should be rated R18, for violence, gore, horror and full nudity. The themes per say aren't THAT complicated, and a child COULD understand them, but not in depth and surely won't grasp the beauty of it.

As for fear, well... You don't have to be a kid to be afraid of such things. Plenty of adults can be afraid of some of the stuff they show over there.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:59 am

If you have time, then write down the ages you can gather from the off-topic part. You'll be surprised. Or at least I think so.
Nowadays there are no adults or children anymore. I've seen plenty childish adults (18+), and couple of mature children. We are "older" than we seem to be, since we like NGE and furthermore most of us here can understand and/or appreciate it.
And this is not my mad idea. This is experience. You know I don't really put up with my class, but interestingly I can easily have a great chat with all of my mom's girlfriends (she is 30 years older than I am, and we get along with each other perfectly), who are at least 10-15 years older. The oldest is between 50 and 60, and we can get along pretty well.
Now dare say that I'm not precocius. :wink: :twisted: :D
Or just a wierdo. :P

EDIT: I don't get scared that much since I finished Doom 3... well THAT is scary, and NGE is Barbie compared to that. But I can't recall... did I play with Doom 3 after or before watching NGE... :S
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:02 am

IIRC, EoE has a 17 or 18+ rating on it. The series is suggested 14+, so I guess Cartoon Network thinks that's where the majority of its viewers are, even though that doesn't make any sense whatsoever (I mean, no kid that age wants to watch Powerpuff Girls or something, that just defies logic).
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:06 am

Agreed.
IIRC=? :S

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:54 am

I think IIRC= If I can Remember\recall
New Signature Policy

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am

It would be "If I remember/recall it correctly" in that case. Thanks! :D

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:30 pm

Hey, I'm a kid, and I watch it.

Buuuut I'm pretty sure other kids would just not understand it.

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:37 pm

ZeroFive1 wrote:Hey, I'm a kid, and I watch it.

Buuuut I'm pretty sure other kids would just not understand it.

Well that is what I was talking about a few posts before.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Well, it's a shame to skip on the movies after watching the series. I wouldn't show it to anyone below 15.

Actually, I already did just that, but that was out of spite.

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Kaysow wrote:Well, it's a shame to skip on the movies after watching the series. I wouldn't show it to anyone below 15.

Actually, I already did just that, but that was out of spite.

Shit tends to happen.
ZeroFive1 is just 11, and he both likes it and understands it. You see? Biological ages doesn't really matter. For example, I would never introduce my mom to NGE. She wouldn't appreciate it, plus she is a pre-beginner in English.

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Kaysow wrote:Well, it's a shame to skip on the movies after watching the series. I wouldn't show it to anyone below 15.

Actually, I did see it, but I didn't really know what was happening except that the mass-production types were freaky.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:47 pm

EoE has in it everything that is unsuitable for non-adults

the series is about 15-16 and up in common opinion

considering everything uncensored of course and not the crappy-heavilly-edited american and european version
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:28 pm

What's that? Was there something left out of Manga Entertainments release? I have the Renewal version downloaded, and noticed nothing.
You mean the DC episodes, as in Rei-nipples?

There can't be anything left out in Platinum, or I would have heard of that already.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:32 pm

I saw only the DC episodes, and was shocked to see the Rei-clones had nipples. In the movie I was prepared for anything, but he series WAS aired in a channel with an overall youngster audience in Japan...
New Signature Policy

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:55 pm

How perverted people are. NGE isn't about sex... watch Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball if you want something like that... I mean the hentai edition... But that is closer to what I call mating. Yuck.
Humanity is losing it's delicacy. How sad...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:58 pm

In the UK, the Collection 0:# DVDs are half rated PG, half (3 & 6-8 ) rated 12; the movies are rated 15.

I don't think some of the things that are going on can really be appreciated until you've been there yourself.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zeno
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeno » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:32 pm

Actually, when I first started watching Eva I was wondering the exact same thing. At first I thought it was a kids show. It sure seems that way for the first few episodes at least. But it was entertaining enough, so I would download and watch a couple of episodes whenever I was bored. Then, one day I watched eps. 14, 15 and 16 and that’s when the show really grabbed my attention. Not because of any “adult content” but simply because the story seemed to be getting much more interesting and dramatic. The story keeps getting more sophisticated from then on, and I tore through the rest of the episodes (DC versions) and EoE with an ever increasing interest and a growing awareness that my initial judgement that Eva was a “kids show” had been a mistake.
From the standpoint of explicit content I’d say that almost all of the series is kid appropriate (except for a few fleeting parts). However, considering the overall depth of the story it is definitely for a more mature (not necessarily older) audience. From the perspective of conventional ratings I’d give the series a Pg-13 or a 14A. EoE is both more explicit and more difficult to understand. It should probably be rated R (I mean Canadian R, not a sissy American R). But then again, it’s pretty presumptuous of the standard rating system to suggest a precise age when a movie becomes appropriate. It’s really all about one’s maturity level. All in all I look at it this way: If you’re mature enough to form a good understanding of the series and EoE you’re mature enough to watch them.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:24 pm

It depends on the kid really and truly if they can handle eva
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:16 pm

If you’re mature enough to form a good understanding of the series and EoE you’re mature enough to watch them.

But then I'm sure even some adults can't understand the series well.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”