What are the big round spinny things on plugsuit wrists?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

What are the big round spinny things on plugsuit wrists?

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:05 pm

[Split from "3.33 Things you noticed". - Monk]

During the battle in Lilith's chamber, when Shinji makes EVA-13 grab the blades of EVA-02's weapon, during the shot of his hands being burned because of the mental link, the round parts oon the wrists of Shinji's plugsuit are glowing red and rotating, the as the round parts in Mari's 2.0 plugsuit were doing during Beast mode(except the light was were green then) :

SPOILER: Show
Mari's glowing plugsuit :
[URL=http://imgur.com/Ahpy3IR]Image[/URL]

Same thing for Shinji, but in red(sorry I don't know how to make gifs from VLC) :
[URL=http://imgur.com/OrmI36L]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://imgur.com/sO0PYEr]Image[/URL]

Makes me wonder what are those round parts function...
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Perhaps they signify that a higher level of synchronization than normal is occurring.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Or that lightshow, in Shinji's case, is part of commanding the RS-Hoppers.

Spining is just something these... spinning things seem to do.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, the purple light in Shinji's palm are obviously the representation of the damage and pain he feels through the mental link with EVA-13, the difference being the color(in every other case the glow was yellow), but I don't think that the red spinning thing was part of commanding the RS-Hoppers, since by the time Shinji grabbed Asuka's blades the Hoppers were already all destroyed.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 pm

...right, scrap that theory.

Maybe just a generic omen of impending doom.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I think what's interesting is the fact that Shinji and Kaworu's Eva-13 plugsuits are so similar to Mari's original plugsuit from 2.0.

[Below is a response ElMariachi made to this post, cut from a post that was otherwise not all about this topic. - Monk]
ElMariachi wrote:Isn't that just that Mari's 05 plugsuit(and Kaworu's 06 plugsuit too by the way) are simply the next generation of plugsuits and maybe new ones for the other pilots were scheduled too, but then N3I threw everything through the window, and neo-NERV kept the general design through the years, while WILLE made their own version?
Still why ReiQ's plugsuit desing is different needs to be explained, in the 3.0 CRC probably.(maybe she needs a special one because Mark.09 is an ADAM's Vessel?)
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:18 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
Mari's glowing plugsuit :
[URL=http://imgur.com/Ahpy3IR][/URL]

Same thing for Shinji, but in red(sorry I don't know how to make gifs from VLC) :
[URL=http://imgur.com/OrmI36L][/URL]
[URL=http://imgur.com/sO0PYEr][/URL]

Makes me wonder what are those round parts function...

Interesting.
The EVA02 transformation hurt the pilot so maybe this is a sign of excessive pain?

I think what's interesting is the fact that Shinji and Kaworu's Eva-13 plugsuits are so similar to Mari's original plugsuit from 2.0.

yeah!
In Rebuild 2.22 Mari seemed to be connected with IPEA and Kaworu + EVA06 + Lunar Base things was all being done under the hood.
Perhaps the "Mari plugsuit style" (also seen with Kaworu + EVA06) have any direct connection with IPEA (or at least symbolizes that Nerv is "latent")?
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

Mbryo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:37 am

View Original Postandreh wrote:Interesting.
The EVA02 transformation hurt the pilot so maybe this is a sign of excessive pain?

yeah!
In Rebuild 2.22 Mari seemed to be connected with IPEA and Kaworu + EVA06 + Lunar Base things was all being done under the hood.
Perhaps the "Mari plugsuit style" (also seen with Kaworu + EVA06) have any direct connection with IPEA (or at least symbolizes that Nerv is "latent")?

The Juusangouki has similiar rotating things on its hand, when it detaches its second pair of arms from its chestplate.
FUS roh Duh.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 am

View Original PostMbryo wrote:The Juusangouki has similiar rotating things on its hand, when it detaches its second pair of arms from its chestplate.

So does Yui's Divesuit. They probaly do magic, of which more is needed for beastmode.

---

Mari's Plugsuit

Sadamoto noted that it was supposed to be a next-gen Model of plugsuit (Just as her green Suit represented the plugsuit generation before what we saw the Nerv Trio wearing), Kaworu's Mark IV has similar "White thingies" on it.

It makes sense that Shinji's newly comissioned EVA 13 suit would be the newer NERV/SEELE model. It doesn't look any newer than the Mark 6 or the pink plugsuit because TI either made all designers go splat, or leave NERV/SEELE.

As for Rei's, it's the boob-protectorless variant of Mari's second suit. The green things suggest similar design patterns, but it couldn't be *too* different from her 2.0 suit because parallelism/"shadow" motif. Somehow, the female plugsuit always has a version with boob protectors, and one without. Asuka always has them, Rei never does, Mari appears to be variable, since she has a boob-protector-less version of the WILLE suit.

Which makes little sense since she has much more boob to protect than Asuka does. Then again, maybe Asuka wears them so her boobs will look bigger in her plugsuit XD

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 am

Well, ReiQ's plugsuit doesn't that the big round things in the wrist, nor the the two metallic round parts on both shoulders that Mari's 05, Shinji's 13 and Kaworu's 06 and 13 plugsuit have, and the white thingies on the ribs are noticeably smaller for the other's plugsuits(and is green instead of black), which makes it fairly different from the new NERV/SEELE models.

That's why I wonder if it it's a special plugsuit made for piloting Mark.09 due to its ADAM's Vessel status.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:07 pm

The spinny disks might have some kind of secondary/tertiary drive function that interacts with/expands the Eva's control interface when it's doing something unusual, like Beast Mode or Four Arm Mode. As far as I remember, that's when they activate.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, ReiQ's plugsuit doesn't that the big round things in the wrist, nor the the two metallic round parts on both shoulders that Mari's 05, Shinji's 13 and Kaworu's 06 and 13 plugsuit have, and the white thingies on the ribs are noticeably smaller for the other's plugsuits(and is green instead of black), which makes it fairly different from the new NERV/SEELE models.

That's why I wonder if it it's a special plugsuit made for piloting Mark.09 due to its ADAM's Vessel status.

Again, probably just done fpr paralellism, so it looks a bit like the 2.0 suit's "dark twin."

Note that the palms are also blue.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm

The CRC 2.0 refers to this new designs as Multipurpose (New Type) Plug Suit [汎用 (新型) プラグスーツ] and as (Mari Custom Livery)[マリ専用]  or (Kaworu Custom Livery) [カヲル専用]
Those are the official designations in english and Japanese as the book uses them.

Mari also refers to it as shin gata (新型) when putting it on in 2.0.

I wouldn't necessarily blame it on IPEA/Seele as I would on everyone involved deciding on a standard mass produced plugsuit vs all the old stuff Nerv Japan and Euro had laying around for the proto, test, provisional Evas.

OMF asked for some 2.0 pics and all I have laying around is Kaworu.

06 汎用 (新型) プラグスーツ

13A 汎用 (新型) プラグスーツ

EDIT: Images restored
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Mon May 24, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm

The difference is practically just the black lower half, the green stripe and a haircut.

Lol, they drew visible package on Q!Kaworu XD

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Given their position and the tendency of the chest piece to glow at the same time, they strike me as some kind of secondary restraint to buffer the pilot from the Eva and prevent them from being tanged.

Also they spin, and as a scientician I can tell you spinning is important to all forms of sciencecraft.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Forgot to add this last post.

Remember this discarded idea?

Plug Suit Beast Mode  SPOILER: Show

Might have been cool to see.

EDIT: image fixed
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Remember this discarded idea?
No, please tell! :D

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 am

One of the initial concept of the new model of plugsuit was that when Beast Mode is activated, the shoulder-pads opens and the metallic rounds things on them starts ejecting vapor while the rest of the suit tightens even more around the wearer's body while the veins starts to bulge, on top of the glowing and spiraling round thingies and the glowing of the eyes!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:00 pm

:chinscratch: So something that looked a little like Rei's angel penetration, and therefore more boobies? Why was this scrapped in the first place?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 pm

That would have been really hot. I'm kinda disappointed we'll never see it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”