Sakura's line, "Give us a break"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Sakura's line, "Give us a break"

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 am

(The following several quotes were portions of posts excised from posts in another topic that were all multi-subject. Because I cannot create/split/duplicate individual posts of other members, the best I can do is reproduce below the parts of those posts that were off-topic in their original context. The quote header can be clicked to see the quoted portion's original home (from which it was violently removed). The exception is Malevolo's post, because the original was destroyed because it consisted entirely of the quoted portion and if I had merged it into this topic it would appear before this post.)

View Original Postiihieiii wrote:Also... Why the hell Suzuhara sister say this: "Don't pilot the EVA... Give us a break." Huh?!

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Sakura's line "Give us a break..." probably refers to the fact that last time he piloted an EVA things have gone really wrong, and that the last thing they need now is that Shinji pilot again with the risk that another Impact get triggered... which is exactly what happened later!
I think that that line is here to show us that even though she's sympathetic to Shinji, she still harbor some grudge against him(also shown before when she muttered that the DSS Choker will never be taken off and when she curled her fists when Shinji requested to pilot EVA-01) but tries to keep her rancor in check, and that she still have that big-mouthed and bossy attitude she had in NGE when she was said to have lectured Toji for hitting Shinji.

Maybe in FINAL we will have a scene where Sakura blows at Shinji and lectures him for not listening to her, until she see that he's already kicking himself to death for that, that will be the moment we see what kind of person she really is : will she let it slide because she see that Shinji understood his lesson and that the guilt is already eating him alive and that chewing more on him would be petty cruelty... or will she let her rancor get the better of her and continue her rant?

View Original Postiihieiii wrote:
and that she still have that big-mouthed and bossy attitude she had in NGE when she was said to have lectured Toji for hitting Shinji.

Wow...dang...i don't even remember her on NGE :cringe:

Maybe in FINAL we will have a scene where Sakura blows at Shinji and lectures him for not listening to her, until she see that he's already kicking himself to death for that, that will be the moment we see what kind of person she really is : will she let it slide because she see that Shinji understood his lesson and that the guilt is already eating him alive and that chewing more on him would be petty cruelty... or will she let her rancor get the better of her and continue her rant?

Well the "lack" of characters development on 3.0 its kinda tricky...especialy for the crew and Sakura =/...considering that she is the only one who don't give the "cold shoulder" to him....that being said...i quite don't believe that she will freak out on him...but anything is possible on FINAL =P

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
Wow...dang...i don't even remember her on NGE :cringe:

We don't see her in NGE, it's just Toji who mention her from time to time, and at one moment(I don't remember where exactly), Toji said that his sister lectured him for hitting Shinji and that he should be grateful that he put his life in danger to protect them all.
That meant that the sister was the more reasonable of the two and that she didn't hesitated to voice her disapprobation when her brother did something stupid. (in short, it was implied that his sister was a mini-Hikari! :D )

Well the "lack" of characters development on 3.0 its kinda tricky...especialy for the crew and Sakura =/...considering that she is the only one who don't give the "cold shoulder" to him....that being said...i quite don't believe that she will freak out on him...but anything is possible on FINAL =P

The be fair, that was the point of 3.0 : make Shinji( and us viewers) know as little as possible about the characters and what happened in order to confuse him and make him don't know who to believe and trust anymore.
That's why I think(and hope) that FINAL will give us more hindsights on the rest of the cast, so that we can know them better, and actually care about them.

Malevolo wrote:
ElMariachi wrote:
The be fair, that was the point of 3.0 : make Shinji( and us viewers) know as little as possible about the characters and what happened in order to confuse him and make him don't know who to believe and trust anymore.
That's why I think(and hope) that FINAL will give us more hindsights on the rest of the cast, so that we can know them better, and actually care about them.

And them Anno kills them all and makes us whiny again for years for a sequel that will give us the sense of closure. And knowing that depressive Mother***** he will make another movie, NTE: I can (again) troll you.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:11 am

And this (from the translation thread) needs to be copied here as well:

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Sakura : Seriously, give us a break.
Je ne pourrais pas supporter que tout cela recommence une nouvelle fois
I wouldn't support it if all of this happens again.
Interesting change : here Sakura isn't criticizing Shinji, but pleading that what happened 14 years ago don't happens again, because she wouldn't be able to support to get through this all over again. That implies that Sakura lost a lot during these events, and might imply that Toji is dead. But more importantly, the way the line is phrased, it imply less that Shinji was the cause than in the GitHib translation, although it doesn't discard that possibility, but at least Sakura clearly implies that Shinji has the capacity to make all of this happen again(his status as Impact Trigger)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 am

...I wouldn't translate "supporter" as "support" in that context; More like
It's very similat to a common use of a similar spanish work.

Either way, what does she actually say, in Japanese, with word for word translations/implications?
Because this line has gone through 10000 different translations or so, each giving off very different vibes/implications for the interpretation. Is it somehow very ambigous?

She notably pauses before/says this line with importance/does this... lowering motion
The proposed translations so far were:

"I really do want to forgive you" - ...bit I can't if you make it sdo hard for me by defecting to the enemy, you bastard. It would kinda imply that Shinji is being portrayed as a bastard who was given a chance by this one pure innocent maiden and blew it because he kept being a notorious asshole.

"I really do want you to forgive me" - which would be in line with the previous statement that she could understand it if he went back, and proof of how awesome and selfless she is, as well as a conclusion of this mini subplot with Sakura trying hard to be fair/nice to Shinji ( perhaps because Touji probably would have wanted her to), while struggling to hold back her understandable anger over having lost her beloved Onii-chan at such a young age. Because what would that forgiveness be for? WILLEs treatment of him.

"Give us a break." - Compaion piece to Asuka's "There's no time for this in this world" line, just with Sakura being a lot less anal about it; Basically, another sighn of how much the Q-verse has gone to waste.

"I couldn't stand it if this all happened again" - less blame, more "Please no more senseless loss life!" plus foreshadowing for 4I. The "I couldn't stand it" part of it would also be a reveal of vulnerability, a bit of trying to speak to Shinii eye to eye... and a reveal that while Sakura mantains her integrity and plucky disposition, the hellhole hurt her.

Either way, I find the fact that her personality seems to perfectly match the way Kensuke discribed her NGE!Counterpart (that line wasn't even in Rebuild! - But once again, she is being reasonable/sympathetic with someone who caused her direct harm. In a samilar vein, you could say that if not for him, Zeruel woulf have destroyed ALL of humanity, its not that different from the ep 01 berserking eva damage - a new rebuild-exclusive scene even has Misato say "We don't know why it went out of control, so how can we take responsibility for using it again" or something like that. Foooooreshadowing. ) incredibly awesome.
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:57 pm

I corrected the translation of Sakura's phrase so it conveys better the sense in the French version : "I couldn't bear to see it all happen again."
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

We're going to need the original Japanese line before going any farther with this. I tend to think this line, coming from Sakura, and the last line spoken to Shinji before he leave Wille, is laden with import. But we need the original Japanese to make any decision.

EDIT:
The original Japanese line is:

ホンマ、カンベンして欲しいわ。

Which seems to be a complex combination of scripts.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 am

What I find weird about Sakura's plea is the lines she says to Shinji before "Give us a break".

Misato, her commanding officer, is demanding Shinji stay where he is while threatening him with the detonator and Sakura says "Go if you have to but please just don't pilot EVA". Does she not see that her Captain is planning to kill him if he leaves and yet she tells him to go if he has to knowing that Misato might pull the trigger? I just find that ridiculous.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:21 am

I never noticed that! Did Sakura secretly tried to kill Shinji? :lol:

More seriously, maybe from the fact that Shinji had made his mind to go with Mark.09 and the fact Misato still didn't activated the DSS Choker, Sakura must have deduced that she won't kill him, and as a desperate effort to try to avoid any possible future Impacts, desperately pleas to Shinji that he don't pilot an EVA again.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

She may not be consciously aware of the DSS choker; or not be aware of Misato brandishing the detonator, because she might only associate the possibility of its use with when Shinji gets in an EVA (which of course she asks him not to, thus trying to save his life, you could say).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 am

Speaking of Sakura, why doesn't she speak in dialect like her brother? (or did Touji not speak in dialect in NTM? I can't seem to remember.)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 am

Fourteen years in a small and tight-knit community would knock most dialect out of anyone's speech, I should think.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:13 am

She DID have life outside of Wille before 3I/N3I with her brother and family though. It isn't something that goes away easily seeing as she was at least what? ten? before she joined Willie

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:She may not be consciously aware of the DSS choker; or not be aware of Misato brandishing the detonator, because she might only associate the possibility of its use with when Shinji gets in an EVA (which of course she asks him not to, thus trying to save his life, you could say).

Except that Sakura was here when Ritsuko showed to Shinji the schematics of the DSS Choker and its detonator, detonator which later was in Misato's hand, light blinking and pointed right at Shinji, it's not very difficult to connect the dots and understand that Misato is threatening to blow-off Shinji's head with the detonator she has in her hand.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 am

Oh, I know that; but (a) the description (given for Shinji's "benefit") linked it specifically to avoiding awakening an EVA, which isn't at this moment an issue, and (b) Sakura, being more human, humane - if you like, a people-person - is simply not thinking of that, but directly of Shinji himself and the choice he is being forced to make as he is standing there right in front of her.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Except that Sakura was here when Ritsuko showed to Shinji the schematics of the DSS Choker and its detonator, detonator which later was in Misato's hand, light blinking and pointed right at Shinji, it's not very difficult to connect the dots and understand that Misato is threatening to blow-off Shinji's head with the detonator she has in her hand.

I also got the sense that Sakura was in fact the one who put the DSS on Shinji when he was still out of it, hence the "I want you to forgive me" line, meaning, sorry for strapping a bomb on your neck.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Wasn't the "I want you to forgive me" line a mistranslation?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wasn't the "I want you to forgive me" line a mistranslation?

.................I don't know.............. Haven't really been following that. TBH this the first I've heard of the give us a break line.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:46 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wasn't the "I want you to forgive me" line a mistranslation?

It was an early version of the line being discussed in this thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:58 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:Speaking of Sakura, why doesn't she speak in dialect like her brother?

I could have sworn she slipped into Kansai-ben with at least one line before reverting to polite language. Toji does speak Kansai-ben in NME, yeah.

Word for word wrote:ホンマ、カンベンして欲しいわ

In truth, forgiveness want to.

I think "I really want to forgive you" is the best way to render this.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:48 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I could have sworn she slipped into Kansai-ben with at least one line before reverting to polite language. Toji does speak Kansai-ben in NME, yeah.

Which line if I may ask?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:45 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Misato, her commanding officer, is demanding Shinji stay where he is while threatening him with the detonator and Sakura says "Go if you have to but please just don't pilot EVA". Does she not see that her Captain is planning to kill him if he leaves and yet she tells him to go if he has to knowing that Misato might pull the trigger? I just find that ridiculous.

I get the strong impression that Sakura is speaking to Shinji in the abstract, removed from Misato's ability to flip the switch. Both he and she are aware that Misato's detonator is right there in her hand. I'd interpret Sakura's words here as an obfuscated, "I'm sorry you've suffered, but don't make us suffer anymore.".

As to her attitude to the DSS Choker, while there's no dialogue, even without access to the script, I think it's all in the eyes, and hands.

Sakura and the detonator  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]Eva3-33_C0389.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]Eva3-33_C0392_a.jpg[/wkimg]

The director has made a point of putting Sakura, silently, in the shot. She doesn't want Misato to press that button.

Also as an aside, take a look at Ritsuko and Sakura during Shinji and Misato's standoff. Were they looking at Mark.09, or was Ritsuko silently prompting Sakura to grab Shinji? We'll ahve to wait for the script for that one.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”