Convention General Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:55 pm

I'm going to be at AX myself, for the entire duration of the convention. Feel free to hit me up if any of you want to have anime shenanigans.

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52 pm

i'm going to anime midwest and i'm super excited! i managed to get those days off of work!

i am doing an Ayanami Rei cosplay for july 4 but i don't know what to wear the other two days. i was thinking of doing a cute fairy kei coord, but i could also cosplay ritsuko, but idk whether to spend $45 on items for a ritsuko cosplay or jjust save the money for the con.

i was also going to do kiki's delivery service but i can't find a navy blue dress that's just right. i don't have a sewing machine so it would be a closet cosplay, haha. not a hard one to do, though.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:48 am

Day one of AX is over. I went to the Trigger panel and saw some exclusive stuff that nobody else had ever seen. Tomorrow I'm seeing Little Witch Academia 2 and going to some good 18+ panels.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Any Sailor Moon fans, I updated the Moon and Crystal threads with dub news via Twitter's Moon Panel info: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/800189/The-Official-Sailor-Moon-thread/#800189

The Crystal news is a little worrisome for dub fans: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/800204/Anime-Pretty-Guardian-Sailor-Moon-Crystal/#800204
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:03 am

Day 2 was amazing and it is 0300 and I am far too tired to make a giant post about it so I'm leaving this here to say that today was great and that I promise to make a giant post about it when this is all over and I'm awake and stuff so yeah.

Also LWA 2 was fantastic.

CrowBby
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CrowBby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm very new here and not entirely sure where to post to break the ice, but I was wondering if anybody would be at GenCon? It's my favorite convention every year. Or has anybody ever been? I've been going every year since 2008. :tongue:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 pm

As Eva Monkey posted in the Otakon specific thread, we will be hosting a retrospective Evangelion panel this Friday along with the extraordinary Carl Horn, so please feel free to stop by if you are at Otakon.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Curiosity question: Do folks here ever do the one day only attendance option that some cons have? I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to only go to a con that Sunday instead of full weekend, though I'd imagine it's less events (and people) alongside less merch for sale...

I don't remember A/X 04 or the 2 Fanimes (09 & 10) being terribly different on Sundays than Friday or Saturday, besides not as many people out and about.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:13 pm

I could only imagine buying a single-day pass if there was only one panel that I really wanted to go to. That's never happened to me. When it comes to most conventions, there's something I want to go to practically every single day-- and even if there isn't, I like to spend some time walking around the floor or seeing what else the convention has to offer.

I guess buying a single-day pass could be worth it if I didn't want to go to any panels, too. The convention floor at every con I've been to could certainly be explored in a full day if you weren't doing anything else. However, I would advise against buying a Sunday pass if you were doing it for merch. For the best buying options, I'd actually say to buy the one-day pass for the earliest possible day, since that'll be when the booths are most likely to have everything in stock. It'll be crowded, but it'll be the best chance to get what you want-- and it's not like the following few days will be empty.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:32 pm

I've never done a con for a single day. Otakon specifically does not do single day passes.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:41 pm

SDCC, Wondercon, and AX all offer single-day options. Those are the cons that I've been to-- I expect to grow that list, since I'm going to be living on the opposite coast for a few years. (Anime Boston, NYCC, and Otakon, here I come!)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:06 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'm going to be living on the opposite coast for a few years.

Drop me a line if you come to Otakon, I'm always there, I'm always doing Eva stuff.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:18 pm

I've gone to Nycc for 1 day twice in the past other times I usually go 2-3 days. I can't do 4 days, way to tiring.

The only thing bad about a one day pass is that they don't release program information till practically the last minute and all tickets are sold out. I don't know if that is the norm for cons cause I've only ever gone to the NYCC one but it ends up being a bit of gamble. Like you can go on friday only to learn there is nothing you care about and then you out find all the interesting stuff is on a Saturday or Sunday. Like one year I went on a friday and it was perfect because they had Eva rebuild panel and comic/video game panels I was interested so whole day was pretty full but I could've just as easily had a lame day. I got lucky that that Friday ended up being a good day to be there for me.
If you ever go to NYcomic for one day just to buy stuff I'd go on a thursday or sunday. Thursday it noticeably less pact so buying stuff is easier and moving around ain't a hassle and on Sunday you might find stuff for cheaper towards the last few hours. Other than that I would do research on fan/nerd sites to see if you can find out about panels ahead of time because the NYCC sites is useless for upcoming panel info. If you find something you wanna see choose a day based off the research.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:02 pm

I think the cons I've been to, I either found about the panels/events with program guide in hand, walking around (A/X '04) or researching on the site a month or 2 before the con kicked off (Fanime '09/'10). I guess these days, everything updates via social media.

@Nuke: I figured for merch it'd make sense to go on the earliest day possible, yeah. If we ever get to go to an East Coast con, we'll let you know! ^_^ How does that even work that I'm from the Northeast but only went to 2 West Coast cons... :derp:

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:44 pm

This was a while back but I never posted anything from Anime Midwest! It was my first con. The first day I had a pretty cool fairy kei coord but then I did my Rei cosplay. It looked hideous so I took of my wig and put my hair into ponytails and drew freckles on my face to cosplay Hikari instead, despite awful wig hair.

The next day i fixed the Rei wig and it was like. the best that cheap wig is probably going to get. All the other Rei wigs are way too short (i cut this one myself). anyone have recommendations for wigs that work?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:29 pm

View Original PostAri wrote:This was a while back but I never posted anything from Anime Midwest! It was my first con.

How was it, did you have a good time?

I remember going to my first con back when I was your age, a zillion years ago. It's all been downhill since. :lol:

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:34 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:How was it, did you have a good time?

I remember going to my first con back when I was your age, a zillion years ago. It's all been downhill since. :lol:
it was fun! i went with some friends that I haven't seen in forever except we split up a lot because we wanted to go to different panels. I also did a date auction and danced with a guy. But honestly, I just wish I was a bit more social so I could have made more friends. I did meet a few cool people at a photoshoot, though. I will go to Con Alt Delete next. I also got a cute plus hoe and a nice Ritsuko figurine <3

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05 am

View Original PostAri wrote:I also did a date auction and danced with a guy.

D'awww. Was he cute? Who was the one auctioned off?

If you're in Chicago, you should look into Anime Central. I've been a couple times. Carl Horn usually goes and hosts Evangelion panels there. He's always cool to meet.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Carl Horn usually goes and hosts Evangelion panels there. He's always cool to meet.

He usually goes? Here I thought co-hosting a panel with him like I did this year was a once-in-a-lifetime event. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:13 am

View Original PostAri wrote:This was a while back but I never posted anything from Anime Midwest! It was my first con. The first day I had a pretty cool fairy kei coord but then I did my Rei cosplay. It looked hideous so I took of my wig and put my hair into ponytails and drew freckles on my face to cosplay Hikari instead, despite awful wig hair.

That is the cutest Hikari cosplay I've ever seen.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”