Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Now that I have my new PC set up, I started my do-it-all playthrough on Skyrim (after trying out lots of stuff with different characters on PS3), tried out the first Witcher game and played through Gone Home in one session.

Gone Home was an interesting experience, to say the least. Although it is described to be a completely free exploration game without much interactivity, the game's design makes the most sense when the player explores the house in a systematic way. The storytelling works better that way. While some gamers argue that a game that limits interactivity to activating audio bits in different parts of the map is not a game at all, I found Gone Home very immersive and addictive. I was slightly disappointed by the subject matter - because I had been expecting a different kind of story - but the game offered a pleasantly mature story that did not turn out to be as haunting as the game implies on a few occasions, but it was unforgettable nevertheless. The level design is laudable - it really encouraged me to properly investigate each room for extra clues to figure out the background for the story. Gone Home may not be a huge masterpiece, but it is a great example of creative storytelling and gripping atmosphere.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Predictable... BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:40 am

There's a sequence in the original F.E.A.R., where the silhouette of the little girl haunting you is just standing in a passage way, right above a ladder you need to climb down.

Knowing what it was, I tried to provoke it or get to do something. I Shot it, hit it, threw grenades, to no avail.

And yet, despite knowing it was there and what it was (a scripted encounter) it still gave me the creeps when I finally climbed down the latter and saw the silhouette briefly come to life.

As to a game that scared me? SWAT 4. Keeping the suspects hemmed together can be quite harry if you're injured, and down two team members with out any flash-bangs left.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Currently playing Okami on Wii and Persona 3 Portable on PSP. I think I'm enjoying Okami more, despite the often twitchy motion controls. PSP is enjoyable (and the dub is surprisingly inoffensive), but there's also a lot of tedium associated with both the JRPG elements and the dating game-ish type elements.

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Kind of embarrassed to admit it this but I just recently beat Twilight Princess. :facepalm:

I'm not at all embarrassed to admit that I only played through it partway and stopped. :p

Basically ALL of the video game playing that I ever do is some form of catching up. I don't give a flying fruitcake about being up to speed on the latest and greatest (which would require me to get a high-end desktop PC, anyway, something that is not happening anytime soon since my paychecks are the monetary equivalent of freshly dropped dog crap). I only get into a video game playing mood occasionally, and the catalog of quality titles just keeps getting bigger, so finding something to play is easy.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 pm

^ As a legend of Zelda fan I'm embarrassed. I mean over 7 years to complete a Zelda game, Really? :P
SPOILER: Show
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:^ As a legend of Zelda fan I'm embarrassed. I mean over 7 years to complete a Zelda game, Really? :P

Seems perfectly normal to me! :lol:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:28 pm

It took me 12 years to beat Super Mario Bros.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:34 pm

It took me about the same amount of time to beat SMB3, the first game I ever played.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Recently finished both games in the Zone of the Enders HD Collection. ZOE2 was pretty good, but ZOE1 kind of sucked actually. Even with the HD remaster it still looks extremely dated, and it suffers from a lot of repetitive combat and poor game design choices (repeated backtracking to previously completed areas, not giving any hints as to where the next objective is, bland and boring urban areas with very little variety, etc.) The game also screams low budget, with human character models that look like early '90s plastic action figures, poor animation, and character textures that are little better than those single-colored polygons from the N64/PS1 era.

Then there's the fact that the game is only about 5 hours long and ends before the story is actually over... ugh. I know MGS5: Ground Zeroes gets bashed a lot because of how short it is, but I got much more enjoyment out of that game than I did out of ZOE1. I'll definitely replay ZOE2 plenty of times because it fixed most of the problems the first game had, but now that I've finished ZOE1 I'll probably never touch it again. I expected better from Kojima, especially given how hyped up the ZOE series is.
[Redacted]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Almost finished Far Cry again. I forgot how ruthless this game was. The AI is far more sophisticated than your average FPS NPC that's for sure.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:06 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:It took me about the same amount of time to beat SMB3, the first game I ever played.

I only ever beat that damn game with a Game Genie.

By Galoob.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:26 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I only ever beat that damn game with a Game Genie.

By Galoob.

The biggest leap in that game for me was making it past World 7 AKA, the Pipe Maze. It took me exponentially longer just to make it to World 8 than actually beating World 8. We're talking a span of time from about 1994-2005

The only other game that ever took me longer to beat (or in this case, reach 100% completion by finding all the exits) was Super Mario World, which lasted from around 1994-2007.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:51 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:The biggest leap in that game for me was making it past World 7 AKA, the Pipe Maze. It took me exponentially longer just to make it to World 8 than actually beating World 8. We're talking a span of time from about 1994-2005

The only other game that ever took me longer to beat (or in this case, reach 100% completion by finding all the exits) was Super Mario World, which lasted from around 1994-2007.
Do you just play games very infrequently or do you genuinely struggle for years on end?

When I was 8 I had all 96 exits, and I continued to play, frustrated, because I couldn't fathom that a game would stop at 96 and not 100. I swore I was missing something, replaying every level over and over for about two weeks. I found out a good few years later I had actually finished it entirely.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:16 pm

I had a bunch of games growing up, both for the SNES and the N64, so if I wasn't getting anywhere/getting frustrated with one, I'd just switch it out with another, so I wasn't playing it consistently. There were a couple hiatuses that probably lasted up to a year or more. SMW2: Yoshi's Island also took me about a decade after starting the game to get 100% on all the levels and beat all the extra bonus stages.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:When I was 8 I had all 96 exits, and I continued to play, frustrated, because I couldn't fathom that a game would stop at 96 and not 100. I swore I was missing something, replaying every level over and over for about two weeks. I found out a good few years later I had actually finished it entirely.

Well, it tipped me off right away, 'cause you get that little star that appears next to the 96 when you're at the main file select screen.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:41 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Well, it tipped me off right away, 'cause you get that little star that appears next to the 96 when you're at the main file select screen.
I always thought that was because you go through the last star warp after Special World (the one that makes the whole game uglier and was irreversible...).

I had very few games growing up, so I really had no choice but to see them through, and then play them again after going through a different game. Luckily, the games I did have were usually really good ones.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Just started a link between worlds and............Nintendo broke the timeline again.
Ignoring the majoras mask Easter egg the game flubs right at the beginning for once reason: the paintings.
Now according to nintendo this is the game right before the legend of zelda in the fallen hero timeline HOWEVER the paintings in game explain that the hero defeated ganon and he was sealed as in the adult link timeline, but if it was that timeline we would be in post spirit tracks new continent now OR pre-wind waker hyrule and neither is the case as the map is IDENTICAL to the link to the past one.

This game can only exist in the fallen hero timeline yet that does not match up to the rest of the game and before you say "those paintings were referencing a link to the past!" they refer to ganon as the "Demon thief" something he has only ever been referred to as in the child timeline and ocarina of time itself.

Basically: the nintendo timelines are bullshit.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Just play the games and enjoy them for what they are. Fuck the timelines.

Timeline debates in something like the Zelda series are far less important to the value of the game than something like the Rebuild Sequel Theory is to the value of the Evangelion franchise, just as an example.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:29 pm

I am enjoying it, however i am also a lore nut, so the fact that even nintendo cannot be even slightly consistent with THEIR OWN TIMELINE bothers me.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm not seeing what the problem is. Just because Ganon wasn't referred to as a thief in ALTTP doesn't mean he wasn't. OoT is in the history of both timelines so what's the problem?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Truly, a problem BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:24 am

^i think that the problem is that OoT is secretly a bad game, and we're just trying to connect it to others in attempt to hide the fact. :devil:

@topic: Been playing FTL a lot recently. You wouldn't think of a game you can beat in 40 minutes would be a major time sink, but it has been for me. I was getting RNG screwed constantly, and that just made me want to start over, and over, and over...

I've beaten it four times now, twice on easy, twice on normal. Oddly enough, my two highest scores are rounds I lost. One of those rounds I made a mistake, and ended up having to run last no less than 5 rebel blockades. I felt invincible. Then cheated when I died a sector later. BP
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:27 am

^If this was controversial video game opinions thread.........i would agree, Oot isnt a BAD game..........but i played twilight princess first and that just did it better, AND it had midna.
OoT also has majoras mask to measure up to............and it just cant, that game is awesome.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”