Eva wiki translation

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

opiumsmoker
Embryo

Eva wiki translation

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:39 am

Hi everyone! I've been lurkinf through Evageeks for a long time now and I decided to join for various reasons, but one in particular reached me the most. I'm from Latin America (Costa Rica) and we have a pretty big fanbase in here and since Evageeks contains tons on info (particularly the Wiki) I would like to start a translation project, so this is why I'm here, to ask if you guys think that's possible, and maybe throw me a bone regarding the person(s) I need to get in touch and so on.

I'm a bachelor in Classic Philology with an emphasis in comparative religion, plus I'm an active translator for the MMORPG Ryzom, and also credited as junior translator for a local translation bussiness in my country. And of course an EVA fan since 1999.

I really want to set this project in motion... I'll wait for advice and recommendations.

Will start posting the spanish update here, so far:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/es:Evangelion_3.0:_You_Can_(Not)_Redo

http://wiki.evageeks.org/es:Shinji_Ikari

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:Espspoilers

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:EsDeconstruct

http://wiki.evageeks.org/es:Escudo_A.T

http://wiki.evageeks.org/es:Evangelion:_Final

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:EspPending

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Template:EspExpand
Last edited by opiumsmoker on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"There is no record of any such incident

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm thinking about making a spanish version of the wiki...

I'm a bachelor in classic philology with emphasis in comparative mythology. Also I worked as translator for a long time.

If you think this project is interesting in any way, pelase let me know I'm very interested in set this in motion.

Latin American fans are a huge fanbase

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:00 pm

You want to translate existing pages? We don't have a lot of experience with alternative language pages or how they work. Have you worked on something like this before?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:You want to translate existing pages? We don't have a lot of experience with alternative language pages or how they work. Have you worked on something like this before?

I don't think the code or any such thing would be any different, just the language.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 am

Dream is right... there's not much to do with the code... is only a translation issue and @ObsessiveMathsFreak, Yes, existing pages only

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Something like this... sorry I did it in a rush

http://es.evageeks.wikia.com/wiki/Gaghiel

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I don't see anything wrong with making translations of certain pages. As you say, there are a lot of Spanish speaking evangelion fans.

There are two mostly technical issues. The first issues is how the translated pages should be organised on the wiki. The standard Wikipedia method of using en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaghiel and es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaghiel is out because it would require a second database. A subpage Gaghiel/es is also possible, but rather ugly. We could create an "es" namespace, so that wiki.evageeks.org/es:Gaghiel is a valid page. This will probably end up as wiki.evageeks.org/Es:Gaghiel, which may grate on the mind after a while. Allowing a namespace also ties into the second issue.

Since most people here don't speak Spanish, the problem is that some time in the future, edits to the Spanish pages won't be easy to moderate for vandalism, etc. There's also the issue of the two wikis diverging in their interpretations as changes are made.

The solution I'm thinking of to these issues is to create the "es" namespace, restrict its membership to very few members, and finally to make it so that the pages themselves can only be straight translations of the English ones; This is very restrictive however. But, if you're OK with simply translating existing pages -- not making new ones -- we can create the es namespace and host the translated pages.

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 am

If you think that's a possibility I would be glad to be a part of it... meanwhile you open the ES namespace, I can workl on the raw translation just to apply format later.

And regarding the edition issue, I guess the amount of spanish speaking ppl will increase, maybe in a near future we can assemble a team to take care of it

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

View Original Postopiumsmoker wrote:Dream is right... there's not much to do with the code... is only a translation issue and @ObsessiveMathsFreak, Yes, existing pages only

I'm rather impressed that you're taking this on. Best of luck to you.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:05 pm

By the way, Opiumsmoker, since i can speak spanish i can try to help you with some of the translations if you wish. I don't have any degrees on this and i'm Paraguayan, so my spanish is probably not very good, but i don't mind helping at all.

Also, not to be pessimistic, but i'm not sure if many of the future spanish-speaking members (there have been a bunch in the past) would decide to join in or help with the translations. This wiki has always been a rather understaffed project.

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:41 am

View Original PostDream wrote:By the way, Opiumsmoker, since i can speak spanish i can try to help you with some of the translations if you wish. I don't have any degrees on this and i'm Paraguayan, so my spanish is probably not very good, but i don't mind helping at all.

Also, not to be pessimistic, but i'm not sure if many of the future spanish-speaking members (there have been a bunch in the past) would decide to join in or help with the translations. This wiki has always been a rather understaffed project.

Thank you dream, an extra pair of hands is actually needed, this is a huge translation work. i'm from Costa Rica so I guess we both have better memories from the Mexican translation (or at least I'm using that as my point of reference when it comes to terminology).
Right now I'm beginning with the main characters (Shinji's page was gargantual) if you want to can take secondary character. I'm doing a raw translation with almost no format (I will post an example later on).

Thanks for the help!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 pm

OK, I've finally gotten around to creating the "es" namespace. I've added you both as editors so you should be able to create es pages. Just go to a page with an "es:" for example "http://wiki.evageeks.org/es:Gaghiel", and you should be able to make and edit pages as normal. Good luck with the translations!

If you're looking for pages which might be worth focusing on in translation, you could try the Popular pages list. The Shinji article is quite long as I've been editing the summary of that lately. My intention was to eventually get around to creating similar summaries for other character, but that may take a while (unless there are other willing volunteers). I can tell you that, apart from some links, the 3.0 is in more or less completed form.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 pm

View Original Postopiumsmoker wrote:Thank you dream, an extra pair of hands is actually needed, this is a huge translation work. i'm from Costa Rica so I guess we both have better memories from the Mexican translation (or at least I'm using that as my point of reference when it comes to terminology).
Right now I'm beginning with the main characters (Shinji's page was gargantual) if you want to can take secondary character. I'm doing a raw translation with almost no format (I will post an example later on).

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. This is certainly a huge translation work that will take diligence and time. I haven't actually read or seen Evangelion in a latin american distribution, i have only seen it with it's Japanese dub and englisht subtitles so i'm not very familiar with how official distributors translated things. Most of the secondary characters's pages aren't completed yet (i know Kaji and Fuyutsuki's aren't) so i will also try to work on their english pages while i translate what we already have.

And thank you for pioneering the spanish section of the wiki and the translation, by the way.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 am

^
By all accounts the ADV Spanish subtitles were atrocious ("Anti-Tank" fields); actual Latin American distributions,if they exist, haven't really been discussed in the English language fandom.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:^
By all accounts the ADV Spanish subtitles were atrocious ("Anti-Tank" fields); actual Latin American distributions,if they exist, haven't really been discussed in the English language fandom.

Subtitles might be atrocious (but never heard of Anti-Tank fields... but I watched the dubbed version... and comparing it to the other dubs... doesn't sound too far from any other translation... and I'll use the maxican version just to get the terminology... or if you have another recommendation I would like to hear it...

:D

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:You're welcome. This is certainly a huge translation work that will take diligence and time. I haven't actually read or seen Evangelion in a latin american distribution, i have only seen it with it's Japanese dub and englisht subtitles so i'm not very familiar with how official distributors translated things. Most of the secondary characters's pages aren't completed yet (i know Kaji and Fuyutsuki's aren't) so i will also try to work on their english pages while i translate what we already have.

And thank you for pioneering the spanish section of the wiki and the translation, by the way.

Also I will make a terminology "corpus" so we translate every term the same way, but I guess that will appear during the translation process

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Ok, I have some translated articles by now... By big issue... I know sh*t about wikicoding... without a graphical aid... I'm a little lost.

Plus I will have to translate the templates

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm

View Original Postopiumsmoker wrote:Ok, I have some translated articles by now... By big issue... I know sh*t about wikicoding... without a graphical aid... I'm a little lost.

We've got a help page, which frankly needs a little work. Your best bet is probably the standard Mediawiki syntax guid.

View Original Postopiumsmoker wrote:Plus I will have to translate the templates

You don't need to edit the template code itself if you're not comfortable with the syntax. Just using the existing templates, and let me know what translations are required if you need help.

Also, be sure to add a "[[Category: Spanish Language Pages]]" to the bottom of any pages you create so they can be found easily.

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:We've got a help page, which frankly needs a little work. Your best bet is probably the standard Mediawiki syntax guid.

You don't need to edit the template code itself if you're not comfortable with the syntax. Just using the existing templates, and let me know what translations are required if you need help.

Also, be sure to add a "[[Category: Spanish Language Pages]]" to the bottom of any pages you create so they can be found easily.

Copy that O.M.F.! Will read the syntax guide and try to make my first attempt today... Thanks for the help

opiumsmoker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby opiumsmoker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:15 pm

First Evageek spanish wiki page

http://wiki.evageeks.org/es:Evangelion_3.0:_You_Can_(Not)_Redo

:D

Still needs a little work, but looks ok

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”