Scenes that bothered you in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Twelfth_Angel
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 pm

We needed more Mk 6. His design is too epic to be waisted.
Well, at least the design will replace the slurpy series.

chuj5
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chuj5 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:06 pm

I didn't like only "horses" scene.
Yes it was like from Disney movie but that's not the only reason why I didn't like it.

That's because it looked so... poor? Static images of Shinji and Kaworu and notes in the background. It's like from some fan-made video.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri May 31, 2013 4:20 pm

Shinji pressing his face into the "barrier" in Evangelion 13 just as the collar is about to pop, rendering Kaworu headless, while crying and making this atrociously, god-awful face expression. Seriously, WTF? They couldn't have edited this for 3.33? Sheesh, it's not a flattering look for the Puppy.....At all. It almost, to me, comes of as rather mocking, actually. Gotta give credit to Na7e who pointed out this scene during the release of camrip.

:uhh: :cringe:

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri May 31, 2013 4:33 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Gotta give credit to Na7e who pointed out this scene during the release of camrip.

I can't actually claim credit for it. Saltyjoe pointed it out to me. I didn't notice it at first because I was to busy laughing at the hamfisted tragedy.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri May 31, 2013 4:37 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote: can't actually claim credit for it. Saltyjoe pointed it out to me. I didn't notice it at first because I was to busy laughing at the hamfisted tragedy.

LOL, I see.

In any case, I did indeed notice this scene when I first watched it....Just not Shinji actually pushing his face into the barrier with that face.

:lol:

Tian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tian » Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Shinji pressing his face into the "barrier" in Evangelion 13 just as the collar is about to pop, rendering Kaworu headless, while crying and making this atrociously, god-awful face expression.

Well shit, that's all I'm going to see in that scene from now on. Thanks!

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri May 31, 2013 5:02 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Shinji pressing his face into the "barrier" in Evangelion 13 just as the collar is about to pop, rendering Kaworu headless, while crying and making this atrociously, god-awful face expression. Seriously, WTF? They couldn't have edited this for 3.33? Sheesh, it's not a flattering look for the Puppy.....At all. It almost, to me, comes of as rather mocking, actually. Gotta give credit to Na7e who pointed out this scene during the release of camrip.

:uhh: :cringe:

Yep. In 4.0 we will se him making internet meme faces to make sure he has no dignity left :facepalm:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Actually, I think that was a good idea to have him make that face : as you said he doesn't have any dignity in this pose... and that's the point.
He's completely losing it, as his last fickle of hope and happiness is about to die just in front of him and there is nothing he can do about it except cry everything he had, any self-consciousness and sense of dignity has left him, only showing the rawness of his fear and despair... and that's not pretty, because seeing someone you care about die is never pretty nor romantic.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri May 31, 2013 6:11 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Actually, I think that was a good idea to have him make that face : as you said he doesn't have any dignity in this pose... and that's the point.
He's completely losing it, as his last fickle of hope and happiness is about to die just in front of him and there is nothing he can do about it except cry everything he had, any self-consciousness and sense of dignity has left him, only showing the rawness of his fear and despair... and that's not pretty, because seeing someone you care about die is never pretty nor romantic.

Yeah....That still doesn't change just how awful, awful, awful he looks.

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 pm

I think the operation "EVA02 + Wunder" could have been replaced with a battle (the method of activating Wunder could have been different)
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Yeah....That still doesn't change just how awful, awful, awful he looks.

Just as he should at that moment. In real life tragedy overrides beauty without a thought.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Veefy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Veefy » Fri May 31, 2013 8:07 pm

View Original PostTian wrote:I was bothered by how quickly Shinji learned to play the piano. He was all "No I don't play piano" but he totally knows how to play. I could have done without the abstract scene with notes and horses too...

I also agree with Guy Nacks about taking off the DSS Choker. Being able to take it off so easily kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Or does Kaworu really have magical DSS Choker removing powers? It should have been a subdermal implant or something IMO.

It would have been slightly more plausible if they had Shinji know how to play the cello like in the tv series. At least then he's had some exposure to musical teaching and theory.

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Fri May 31, 2013 8:44 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Actually, I think that was a good idea to have him make that face : as you said he doesn't have any dignity in this pose... and that's the point.

Same here. It was indeed necessary. Snot pinkeye eyelid and everything.
I can't recall a scene which I would say bothered me. The thing with Q is that it seems that the porpouse of the movie itself was to bother the viewer from beginning to end.
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 pm

The only thing that felt off about 3.0 was the pacing of the end climax, and that even felt better after a second viewing. Q does well to finally have a pacing like that of an original, underived film. 1.11 felt too much like 6 episodes crammed into 90+ minutes, though 2.22 did much better to establish a pacing similar to that of any other 90's kaiju/Godzilla action film towards the end. But this movie fits every scene nicely within itself. I honestly have no real complaints with it. I won't go as far to say that it's "perfect" in any way, but it's certainly a masterfully crafted film.

I can't even get behind all of the "horse scene" dissing occurring here. That scene was beautiful and captured the essence of Kaworu and Shinji's relationship very well. And if you think that's "gay," then, well... did you see NGE's Episode 24? You know, the one where Shinji blushes at the sight of Kaworu's unclothed and dripping wet penis whilst they bathed together in the nude? I'm pretty sure that's more homosexually erotic than two equine beasts in full gallop. And in either case both scenes were important in many different aspects to their respective continuities.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:49 pm

View Original PostVeefy wrote:It would have been slightly more plausible if they had Shinji know how to play the cello like in the tv series. At least then he's had some exposure to musical teaching and theory.

They should have had Shinji and Kaworu do a cello+piano duet. At least that would be more plausible than Shinji magically learning the piano.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 am

Also Misato's reaction
[url]http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/kzp1990/media/Evangelion%20Shit/Misatowaslike_zps46195275.jpg.html?sort=4&o=17[/url]

Also, we need more films. 4 90-120 minutes isn't enough time to devolop a good charecter relationship. I feel everything's a little rushed in ROE, like they're squeezing all the episodes into three films.
And Fuyutski talking to Shinji, again, too rushed. Can we have episode 21 (a great episode) type, where he actually explains it good, or better yet, the manga version. Though, Final is Final. I'm not saying ROE is terrible, but 3.33 is poor compared to 2.22.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The only thing that felt off about 3.0 was the pacing of the end climax, and that even felt better after a second viewing. Q does well to finally have a pacing like that of an original, underived film. 1.11 felt too much like 6 episodes crammed into 90+ minutes...

I actually felt 3.0 felt like 6 episodes crammed into 90 minutes. It was all so rushed, and since so much time was spent on exposition, even the central character relationship wasn't given breathing room. Just bizarre. What happened to the Anno from the EoE days? Now THAT is how you do breakneck pacing in a film.
I can't even get behind all of the "horse scene" dissing occurring here. That scene was beautiful and captured the essence of Kaworu and Shinji's relationship very well.

That was one of the only scenes in the film that I really liked.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:12 am

if it hadn't been so "rushed", Shinji would actually have had time to think about WTF was going on, and we'd end up with a very different result.

The point is that he didn't have that time, and didn't get to properly talk to ppl, percieving only that they hate his ass without getting a closer look at the occassional residual feeling, or explanations/anything to suggest that these are still the people he knew on some level.

It's a PoV thing.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 am

Seeing Yui physically fused with unit 01 was kind of terrifying.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”