Xbox One

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Xbox One

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 pm

This needed its own topic after being mentioned in both the general vidya thread and the news thread.

Here's a relevant link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal

And another I saw, in the vidya topic:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/microsoft-xbox-one-isnt-always-online-but-requires-internet-c/

View Original Postarkiel wrote:XBOX 1 announced. Looks like a PC. Didn't see any of the hardware innovations of the PS4. And no backwards compatibility, even for the games you bought on XBOX Live. Wasn't expecting PS4 to show this strong this soon.

That Share button isn't looking so bad anymore.

Somehow I doubt Microsoft won't change course in response to the fan reaction though.

But, surely there's someone on here who's got good things to say about this next Xbox? Right? Right?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue May 21, 2013 6:17 pm

you heard the man

PS4
・CPU: Jaguar 8 Core CPU @ 2.0GHz
・GPU: Radeon GPU @ 1.84TFLOPS
・Memory: 8GB GDDR5 @ 176GB/s
■Features:
・Backwards compatible with previous PS* games
・Can remote play on PSV
・PlayStation Eye
・Supposedly plays used games
・Est. price: $300-$500
・Has a Share button!

Xbox One
・CPU: Jaguar 8 Core CPU @ 1.6GHz
・GPU: D3D 11.1 GPU @ 1.2TFLOPS
・Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 68GB/s
■Features:
・No backwards compatibility
・Now has Blu-ray & TV support, in the US at least
・Kinect
・Plays used games if you pay again
・Est. price: $300-$500
・Has Windows 8!

Of course both are pretty shit tier PCs soon enough so.... lel console gaming

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Oh Microsoft, how far you've fallen. I mean, I don't know if I can say you've fallen. You never were very high up there to begin with. But still, this was just sad. Oh well, at this point I don't even think they could get me to buy in if they announced Halo 2 HD using the Halo 2 multiplayer engine as a launch title. Guess I'll be using that money to buy an Oculus Rift and a new video card.

The good news is if this fails miserably, which I'm going to be honest I'm not getting my hopes up given how silly the modern gaming demographic is, it will push more people to the PC, which will continue this glorious trend of PC's becoming more and more dominant like the days of old.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I still stand by the assertion that all you'd need for non-handheld gaming this gen will be a PC and a Wii U.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm

I have a feeling Microsoft took a shotgun to both it's feet with the whole "you need to pay to play a used copy of a game" thing.

...Just a feeling, though.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 pm

And Microsoft is still unclear regarding the always-online thing, man I tell you building a new PC sure sounds good right now.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:And Microsoft is still unclear regarding the always-online thing, man I tell you building a new PC sure sounds good right now.

Unless you are playing older games, that still won't help you. DRM is taking the industry by storm.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 pm

I dont see DRM taking the industry by storm so soon especially after the massive epic fail of SimCity(2013).

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Steam is pretty much already doing what Xbox One is trying, and apparently Steam got away with it. Most of what I play on the PC now is Steam games, largely due to lack of alternatives but also because they make it so straightforward and, if you wait for the deals, cheap.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:I dont see DRM taking the industry by storm so soon especially after the massive epic fail of SimCity(2013).

The two big publishers (EA and Activision) and Nintendo are pushing it. It looks like Microsoft is now following suit. These are the major driving forces of the industry right now. As it stands, I am just very happy the Indie game market is so strong so I don't have to put up with this crap.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm

No backwards compatibility and no used games unless you pay? That's absolutely ridiculous, who thought that was a good idea?
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:No backwards compatibility and no used games unless you pay? That's absolutely ridiculous, who thought that was a good idea?

The big-name publishers hate the idea of used games being sold, fearing that it undercut their profit margins. So they want everyone to buy and download old games from them instead.

Fuck that shit, a PC turns out to be more useful in many ways than a console could ever be.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue May 21, 2013 9:02 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Steam is pretty much already doing what Xbox One is trying, and apparently Steam got away with it. Most of what I play on the PC now is Steam games, largely due to lack of alternatives but also because they make it so straightforward and, if you wait for the deals, cheap.

The difference with Steam is it's digital distribution.

Edit: Entire press conference summed up in a minute and a half.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:The two big publishers (EA and Activision) and Nintendo are pushing it. It looks like Microsoft is now following suit. These are the major driving forces of the industry right now. As it stands, I am just very happy the Indie game market is so strong so I don't have to put up with this crap.

Nintendo is pushing DRM? source for this madness?

Soooo can I watch TV and sports?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Lousy name is lousy.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

What's the next one going to be called, Xbox Two? Or will it be Xbox Four? Xbox Zero? Xbox Negative One? Xbox Irrational Number? How about Xbox Hashtag? Would "#xbox#" break Twitter?

I thought the idea of Xbox Infinity was way better.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Lousy name is lousy.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

What's the next one going to be called, Xbox Two?

I thought the idea of Xbox Infinity was way better.

It's obviously named after me

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed May 22, 2013 12:42 am

I didn't liked the name.The box seems too big like the original xbox.Also what kind of joke is that with the used games?The presentation sucked big time IMO.For a European like me all the TV sports-american things they showed are useless here.Microsoft said that E3 will be gaming focused though so i am gonna wait untill E3 to decide.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 am

Never liked Xbox from the start, but this just looks stupid........And the features this "console" has....Meh....

It's obviously named after me

:fistshake: :D

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Wed May 22, 2013 1:08 am

The whole game could change if XBOX game pricing reflected the loss of the used sale. I figured that was a component of Steam sales: sure you only sell it once, but you also get to capture the entire market for your game instead of losing out to GameStop aftermarket sales.

The new Kinect tech could be remarkable, but we don't seem to need higher fidelity to visual capture to make dance games work. As dance games and personal hacks are the only thing Kinect is good for (and navigating menus a Minority Report... Which may work well but shouldn't be the only reason that box is there), I can't help but feel the PS4's use of high speed memory and in-screen controller trump the XBOX, technology wise. I also note that my television can already use Netflix and Hulu and act as its own cable box, so exactly what the fuck is the point of adding yet another device? Smoother menus and hand waving TV navigation? For 300 bucks?

Primary market for XBOX: hackers that want the new Kinect tech, and people that can't wait four years for games to lose their exclusivity (I waited for Gears of War and Mass Effect...).

Man.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

At least it has a cool dog.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]