End of Evangelion; Japanese or English?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

End of Evangelion; Japanese or English?

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 pm

For those of you that don't know, I do gaming/animation reviews on YouTube and I'm thinking of tackling the End of Evangelion. The review's going to be something along the lines of Linkara's History of Power Rangers series; give a detailed summary and analysis of the film, with a few jokes but overall make a decent guide to the film and dispel common myths and misconceptions.

Anyways, the question I'm asking is: should I review the Japanese version or the English version?

Personally, I'd like to review the English version so I can discuss the problems that dub had (mistranslations, silly additions etc.) and not distract viewers with subtitles on the bottom of the screen. However, some will say that I should look at Anno's original version to get the best clarification to viewers, not to mention it's easier to find a full-screen version for Japanese compared to the constant box-in-a-box approach the English dub had.

I'm very much undecided so I thought I'd ask you guys about it and see which dub to tackle after you've paid your two cents.

(When I finish the review, which won't be for a while since I have to watch the entire series instead of just half of it, I'll upload the parts on a separate forum here so you can give me your thoughts on that)

To anyone who replies, thanks for the advice and have a great day!

-FrDougal9000
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Watch both, but you should really review the Japanese version first and foremost, as that's the version that was originally intended to be experienced.

You can still add asides that reference how stupid the dub was, but don't trash the film in general on the basis of the English dub.....cause then you're not really reviewing the "true" film along with the voice acting that Anno himself directed.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

I would review the Japanese for a "serious" review, and the English for a "funny" review. Is there any reason you can't simply do both? The Japanese, of course, was what the movie was intended to be enjoyed as. That said, depending on your audience, a good lot of them may be more familiar with the English dub. If I were in your shoes, I would review the Japanese dub, first, then draw comparisons to the English dub.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed May 15, 2013 3:30 pm

The question you should ask yourself is "Am I reviewing the movie, or the movie's dub?", because honestly, if you review the dubbed version, you're reviewing a derivative. You should really review the film itself. I know reviewing subtitled content can be a little awkward, but you don't do these things because they're easy. Also, if you review it dubbed, the core of the fanbase will laugh at you. You don't want the internet to laugh at you, do you? :P

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:You should really review the film itself. I know reviewing subtitled content can be a little awkward, but you don't do these things because they're easy.

He's in an awfully catch-22-y position. If he reviews the dub, he could alienate the core fanbase, but if he reviews the original, he could alienate the casual anime fan. I think it boils more down to who he is making the review for. That said, mayhaps he could do some sort of hybrid, using the dubbed when an A/V segment is necessary, but also superimpose the subtitling over the video. Then, though, you can alienate people like Reichu who can understand what's being said in the original moonspeak.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:He's in an awfully catch-22-y position. If he reviews the dub, he could alienate the core fanbase, but if he reviews the original, he could alienate the casual anime fan.

That kind of sounds like pandering to the lowest common denominator.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Both. Just don't laugh at the dub's expense, it's not worth it.

And please, don't argue that Anno made this movie to "troll" fans. That's not the entire story.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Reviewing a re-dub is reviewing what the "I don't want to read my movies" set will see -- but it also reviews something that is a re-interpretation of the original work. So, what is it that you are intending to achieve?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Since the production is meant to be your review of EoE, won't you be talking for most of the time anyway? I don't think a Japanese review will matter all that much. You can always stick to "action" clips when you're not talking.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Wed May 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Watch both, reference any differences between the two, but use the dub for clips for ease of viewing
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Wed May 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Spanish dub

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I would recommend using the Japanese dub for reference/interpretation, to dodge any flubs and to get the original meaning of the work, although you can use English subbed/English dubbed bits for clips so the audience will know what's going on in the scene.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Personally, I would use the Japanese. It's not too much to ask for people to read some subtitles. If it is, the people that think that way probably shouldn't be watching your videos anyway. :tongue:

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 pm

People who are too lazy to read subtitles are the worst. Japanese all the way, no question, the Eva dub is a damn crime anyway.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 pm

View Original PostMoroNoKimi wrote:Japanese all the way, no question, the Eva dub is a damn crime anyway.

It's not a crime, just not as good as the Japanese. Personally, I find it distasteful; however, I know some people that like it that happen not to be total dumbfucks. It's really a matter of how much the subs bug you.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Is it really that bad?

I mean, I know there was some crap in 25 but did it really effected the stuff in 26(which I felt was the best parts of the movie).

I mean, the last time I heard these types of complaints was on the 4kids dubs

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 pm

I would never suggest that the Eva dub is as bad as any 4kids dub, because those are about as awful as it gets.

But I do think it's really bad, the voice acting is so far below the level of the original it's not even funny. I really can't stand it. Shinji, Asuka and Misato are the worst for me but really they're all subpar, like any anime dub that isn't a Ghibli dub.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed May 15, 2013 10:07 pm

View Original Postlastcody wrote:Spanish dub

German dub. You should hear 13-year old Ibuki and Walken Aoba.

Asuka: "ICH WILL NICHT {1,3 second pause} STERBEN!!!"

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 pm

I confess I heard a random snippet of Kaji from the French dub at one point and thought the voice suited him hilariously well. I laughed so hard. OUI OUI~

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 pm

View Original PostMoroNoKimi wrote:Shinji, Asuka and Misato are the worst for me but really they're all subpar, like any anime dub that isn't a Ghibli dub.

And here i thought Ghibli dubs were good, or at least they weren't noticeably bad (talking about the original voices here).

OP: Watch in Japanese/with subs, no doubt about it. However, reviewing the dubs after the main review might be a good idea as well. And yeah, like C.A.P. please don't say that EoE was made to troll fans or whatever post-modernist characteristics people feel Evangelion has.

I confess I heard a random snippet of Kaji from the French dub at one point and thought the voice suited him hilariously well. I laughed so hard. OUI OUI~

I can see that :lol:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”