Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 1698
Joined: Jun 08, 2007
Location: In Glorious Technicolor
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cyharding » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Mongoosedog wrote:Hmm, the more i hear about this show the more i want to watch it, it sounds really good. i really want to watch some of Anno's other works and this sounds like a good one


With the exception of some of the island episodes, it is a pretty damn good series. I like how it mixes 19th century steampunk with 70s anime space opera. It won't be a waste of your time.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 30 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 36
Posts: 2777
Joined: Aug 11, 2009
Location: Owensboro,KY
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:24 pm

I might try to dig it up somewhere too, that and Gunbuster.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Posts: 389
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mongoosedog » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:43 pm

gah! that's another one i want to watch but i don't know where to go to get my hands on them (i live in a relatively small Australian town)
I have no signature!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20699
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:24 am

Mongoosedog wrote:where to go to get my hands on them
The internet. The answer is always "the internet".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

Eva Naut
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 131
Joined: Oct 05, 2009

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Naut » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:09 pm

Ah the intorwebs. Seriously though, Nadia seemed to me, average at best. All the characters acted so bi-polar and asinine in the first half [especially Nadia] and this amplified 100X during the ep. 24-33 stretch of Gilifan's island filler.

The whole series just boils down to Nadia bitching about why she's an alien and why everyone kills annimals. Nadia is like Anno's epic fail attempt at a 70's anime. It was horrible.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael
Age: 34
Posts: 904
Joined: Feb 01, 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:52 pm

BC Baron wrote:Plus, I liked how Nemo was the spitting image of the captain from Super Dimension Fortress Macross.


I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Nadia really is a great series. It's a shame that the island episodes came into existence though because if they hadn't, this would be an even greater classic than it already is.

I found Jean & Nadia's relationship to be far more enthralling than that of Shinji and Asuka's, perhaps because despite their problems, they actually try to solve them, unlike the latter's. In fact, one could go as far as saying that Shinji/Asuka is the very antithesis of Jean/Nadia.

Making all the comparisons and differences between Evangelion and Nadia has been very interesting as well.

SPOILER: Show
Just a few examples include:
-The giant Adam on Red Noah VS the giant Adam found in the White Moon.
-The Neo-Atlantean claim that humanity has reached their evolutionary peak is an excuse to control the human race physically VS the SEELE claim that humanity has reached their evolutionary potential is an excuse to control the human race metaphysically


Reminiscing back, if Nadia hadn't existed, then it may very well be that Evangelion wouldn't have existed as well.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 2711
Joined: Apr 03, 2005
Location: In transit
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby drinian » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Nadia is an excellent series.

At over 40 episodes, I found myself attached to the characters by the time it was over, despite their apparent start as broadly-painted childrens' anime stereotypes.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 5300
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:58 am

Well one of the things that set Nadia and Jean apart from their Evangelion counterparts is Nadia and Jean would actually be happy as a couple.

Asuka and Shinji have no real romantic bonds outside of fanwanking.

Marzan
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 84
Joined: Feb 17, 2009
Location: Prowling around Central D

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Marzan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:54 am

Ironfoot wrote:
BC Baron wrote:Plus, I liked how Nemo was the spitting image of the captain from Super Dimension Fortress Macross.


I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Nadia really is a great series. It's a shame that the island episodes came into existence though because if they hadn't, this would be an even greater classic than it already is.

I found Jean & Nadia's relationship to be far more enthralling than that of Shinji and Asuka's, perhaps because despite their problems, they actually try to solve them, unlike the latter's. In fact, one could go as far as saying that Shinji/Asuka is the very antithesis of Jean/Nadia.

Making all the comparisons and differences between Evangelion and Nadia has been very interesting as well.

SPOILER: Show
Just a few examples include:
-The giant Adam on Red Noah VS the giant Adam found in the White Moon.
-The Neo-Atlantean claim that humanity has reached their evolutionary peak is an excuse to control the human race physically VS the SEELE claim that humanity has reached their evolutionary potential is an excuse to control the human race metaphysically


Reminiscing back, if Nadia hadn't existed, then it may very well be that Evangelion wouldn't have existed as well.


I just recently got my hands on Nadia and began watching it and I'm amazed by all the little snippets that remind me of EVA. Certain angles and characters were just very reminiscent. One that has been particularly telling for me was
SPOILER: Show
In episode 8, the whole sequence with the Tower of Babel shooting with the energy from the power plant was remarkably similar to Operation Yashima in EVA
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael
Age: 34
Posts: 904
Joined: Feb 01, 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:30 am

Marzan wrote:I just recently got my hands on Nadia and began watching it and I'm amazed by all the little snippets that remind me of EVA. Certain angles and characters were just very reminiscent. One that has been particularly telling for me was
SPOILER: Show
In episode 8, the whole sequence with the Tower of Babel shooting with the energy from the power plant was remarkably similar to Operation Yashima in EVA


Nice find dude. There are a lot of small resemblances between the two series that add up to a greater whole. Taking it a little further,

SPOILER: Show
One could say that Ramiel resembles a giant Blue Water. Also, one could say that the eyes on Matarael resemble the eyes used by the Neo-Atlanteans.


As for the characters, there's a million similarities. Kensuke greatly resembles a dumbed down Jean Roque Raltique. Gendo has many qualities of Nemo. Ritsuko's hairstyle is almost EXACTLY the same as that of Nadia's, especially teenage Ritsuko.
Last edited by Ironfoot on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:39 am

Ironfoot wrote:As for the characters, there's a million similarities.

Let's not forget that Nadia and Shinji have the same character design except one is female and one is male.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael
Age: 34
Posts: 904
Joined: Feb 01, 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 am

BrikHaus wrote:Let's not forget that Nadia and Shinji have the same character design except one is female and one is male.


Yeah, essentially Shinji is, as Mr. Tines puts it, a Rule 63'd Nadia. There are only a few differences, like their hairstyles and the fact that Shinji isn't a vegetarian. It reminds me of when Shinji tries Misato's curry. His reaction is what Nadia would've done seeing how much she hates meat.

Oh yeah, off topic, but I realized that your Simon avatar is wearing Captain Nemo's coat. Gainax are truly the masters of recycled ideas.

Marzan
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 84
Joined: Feb 17, 2009
Location: Prowling around Central D

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Marzan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Ironfoot wrote:Oh yeah, off topic, but I realized that your Simon avatar is wearing Captain Nemo's coat. Gainax are truly the masters of recycled ideas.


LOL!
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 pm

Ironfoot wrote:Yeah, essentially Shinji is, as Mr. Tines puts it, a Rule 63'd Nadia. There are only a few differences, like their hairstyles and the fact that Shinji isn't a vegetarian. It reminds me of when Shinji tries Misato's curry. His reaction is what Nadia would've done seeing how much she hates meat.


Shinji=Nadia connection happens for obvious reasons.

The thing is that Nadia and Jean are based on how Anno was as 14 years old. Nadia got all of his negative characteristics* and Jean his positive characteristics, they're yin and yang of 14 years old Hideaki.


* because of this it never seazes to humour me that Anno made Nadia vegetarian. :lol:

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merridian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Ironfoot wrote:Oh yeah, off topic, but I realized that your Simon avatar is wearing Captain Nemo's coat. Gainax are truly the masters of recycled ideas.
Captain Nemo's coat is modeled after the captain's from Space Battleship Yamato, and that wicked collar pops up in petty much everything Leiji Matsumoto touches. :lol: I think it's less Gainax recycling ideas as it is Gainax paying homage to the "classic" stuff, especially in TTGL/Simon's case.

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Merridian wrote:
Ironfoot wrote:Oh yeah, off topic, but I realized that your Simon avatar is wearing Captain Nemo's coat. Gainax are truly the masters of recycled ideas.
Captain Nemo's coat is modeled after the captain's from Space Battleship Yamato, and that wicked collar pops up in petty much everything Leiji Matsumoto touches. :lol: I think it's less Gainax recycling ideas as it is Gainax paying homage to the "classic" stuff, especially in TTGL/Simon's case.


GAINAX's very creative philosophy is based on idea of postmodern mix-n-match aesthetic adapted into anime industry so it isn't too surprising :tongue:

Marzan
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 84
Joined: Feb 17, 2009
Location: Prowling around Central D

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Marzan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Xard wrote:
Ironfoot wrote:Yeah, essentially Shinji is, as Mr. Tines puts it, a Rule 63'd Nadia. There are only a few differences, like their hairstyles and the fact that Shinji isn't a vegetarian. It reminds me of when Shinji tries Misato's curry. His reaction is what Nadia would've done seeing how much she hates meat.


Shinji=Nadia connection happens for obvious reasons.

The thing is that Nadia and Jean are based on how Anno was as 14 years old. Nadia got all of his negative characteristics* and Jean his positive characteristics, they're yin and yang of 14 years old Hideaki.


* because of this it never seazes to humour me that Anno made Nadia vegetarian. :lol:


I take it he's a vegetarian then?
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20699
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Marzan wrote:I take it he's a vegetarian then?
Oh, yes!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:41 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
Marzan wrote:I take it he's a vegetarian then?
Oh, yes!


doesn't work :(

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20699
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Hmm, a page seems to have gone missing...

Carl Horn wrote:Sadamoto's story is called "Gyaku-funsha musume," which means "Retro-Rocket Girl." As he said in the liner notes to DER MOND eight years later, "I want to draw more Nadia!" Apparently these two pages weren't enough.





Carl Horn wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote:Wow. That has to be the most engaging storyline I've ever encountered.

For someone who can't read Japanese, that could easily be interpreted as her taking a gosh-darn huge dump...

Waitamint...

Is that what's going on? :?



You've nearly quoted the actual punchline; and yes, Nadia is in fact producing what Trader Joe's refers to as a "hot veggie steamer." For all we are reminded of Nadia's vegan status in the anime, remarkably little time is spent on the consequences.* I was never prouder of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto than I am now, a sentiment which I am sure we all share.

--C.

*Since Nadia's eating habits are based on Anno's, it is possible this manga is based on a true story.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan


Return to “Related Works & People”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests