Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:30 pm

I'm really sick of people who feel their opinions hold more merit than others.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

DevilzillA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DevilzillA » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:43 pm

Dave wrote:I'm really sick of people who feel their opinions hold more merit than others.

<scrolls up>

Good thing that applies to nothing in this thread. :)

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:09 am

Well, you were a little mean to Phaze there. :P
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:20 pm

DevilzillA wrote:Your sarcasm has failed to make you sound intelligent. I understand what made Evangelion great -- the characters. Nadia just has better ones.

I was obviously just making a point in regards to the fact that Nadia is not some bloodless family friendly show. Which, I admit, is what I felt it would be after seeing the first DVD's cover. It is not some toned down Evangelion -- it just has characters that aren't all a bunch of pathetic losers.

I'm just really sick of Eva fanboys who praise Anno whenever they get a chance but haven't even seen any of his other stuff. It's disgusting.

(thought)
Wow Im suprised no one has ripped his arms off..
(End thought)

Someone dosent have a sence of humor....Lighten up we dont want to start a flame war on a newbie (you wont like it take it from me lol)
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:49 pm

In an effort to spur this topic back on track....

You can find the Nadia omake clips on Bittorrent. Fans of the show might be interested in downloading these.

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/438.html

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:34 pm

DevilzillA wrote:Your sarcasm has failed to make you sound intelligent. I understand what made Evangelion great -- the characters. Nadia just has better ones.

I was obviously just making a point in regards to the fact that Nadia is not some bloodless family friendly show. Which, I admit, is what I felt it would be after seeing the first DVD's cover. It is not some toned down Evangelion -- it just has characters that aren't all a bunch of pathetic losers.

I'm just really sick of Eva fanboys who praise Anno whenever they get a chance but haven't even seen any of his other stuff. It's disgusting.

I don't know about you, but I prefer my anime with some meat on its bones. You know, realistic characters, a solid theme, things that make it have depth. When things considered "mature" are used in place of actual substance in order to give the illusion of depth, it just makes me avoid the series. How good could it be if that's the sole reason for it's fanbase? I am in no way suggesting Anno would ever resort to such a poor form of directing, I am just explaining why your comment was met with hostility.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

DevilzillA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DevilzillA » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:26 am

I understand that. If I felt any other way, I wouldn't even be on an Evangelion forum, I'd be oggling over the garbage (IMO) on Anime Network. My comments were directed primarily towards Luppus who said "if the worst violence if someone falls out of a moving object then I'll pass." or anyone else who felt that way.

I see Nadia and Evangelion as two halves of one whole. Nadia is like the Old Testament, and Evangelion is like the New Testament... in the holy book of uh... kickass anime.

By the way, Eva Monkey, thanks a ton for that torrent link! Those omake ruled. But ADV shall still see my wrath someday for omitting them. That and for releasing a non-anamorphic Destroy All Monsters disc... twice!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:54 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:In an effort to spur this topic back on track....

(cough, cough) I think he said back on track
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:35 pm

i'd like to second DevilzillA's thoughts and say, Nadia is in many ways as good, deep, moving, exhilirating as Evangelion. Everyone on this board is enough of an Eva fan to want to discuss it even now, so each and every one of you should give Nadia a watch. i, too, suspected for years that Nadia was some kids' show, but this simply is not true. i finally saw Nadia last week, after YEARS of being a Gainax fan, and am amazed that no one ever emphasized to me how great the show is.

Don't forget to try in mind :)

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:33 am

I should've bought the complete series when I had the chance.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:43 am

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:I should've bought the complete series when I had the chance.

You still can. I have seen both collections for sale in most of the normal anime buying places. On caution though is that they seem a little more pricey than what I remeber buying mine for.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:19 am

i'm re-watching this now and it's every bit as awesome as i remember it.^^
if not for the infamous "island episodes" this series would be perfect. even better than eva imo. nemo would own gendo every day of the week! :wink:
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

Shinji-kun
Banned

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 am

I recently bought this anime and am waiting for it. I've heard it's like Anno's take on Miyazaki-esque anime. What did everyone else think about it? Analysis?
MAL
"Eva is not pretentious. And I dare you to delete DA JIMBO! You can not delete 1.21 Jimbowatts of pure NGE badassery." - Eva Yojimbo

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Shinji-kun wrote:I recently bought this anime and am waiting for it. I've heard it's like Anno's take on Miyazaki-esque anime. What did everyone else think about it? Analysis?

This was my first experience with a Hideaki Anno show, and I liked it. It was fun, and cute. I can see how others think the character Nadia is annoying, but I only see an annoying character as room for improvement, and in most good shows the characters within develop into improvement down the road (it's debatable whether or not they do in NGE, but that's a whole different topic entirely). So my reaction to Nadia's characters was more like, "This will be interesting to see her change". And she does. Slowly. but surly, both she and Jean do grow into people that can not grate on each other's nerves in some fashion.

I fell head-over-heals with the opening theme. I borrowed the soundtrack from a friend who purchased part of the series on DVD and loved it. some of the musical score was over-reaching for the synthetic musical technology available to GAINAX at the time, but whatever.

It was a very charming anime and I thought Anno to be a very charming filmmaker. ^_^

Then I watched this show called Neon Genesis Evangelion, and... :blahblah:

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Except for Naruto....... but thats another arguement for another thread. :chuckles:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Naruto

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:derp: :soapbox: :fistshake: :argh: :explode: :fume: :angry!!: :shout: :headdesk: :headbash: :flamethrower: :shoot1: :shoot2: :sniper: :wife: :gun-shades: :shoot2kill: :gunmouth:

:| Meh. I don't like that anime...

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 pm

FF4VR, Ive been told that youre not supposed to use red font unless your a mod. I don't know if thats really a rule or not, i think it is; but you might want to refrain from using it from now on. :sweatdrop:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:FF4VR, Ive been told that youre not supposed to use red font unless your a mod. I don't know if thats really a rule or not, i think it is; but you might want to refrain from using it from now on. :sweatdrop:

:nyao: Sorry. That's just the color that literally come out my mouth when angry. It scares people in mid-conversation at times. :P

If that's the case, then I'll refrain in the future.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:14 am

Hmm, the more i hear about this show the more i want to watch it, it sounds really good. i really want to watch some of Anno's other works and this sounds like a good one
I have no signature!

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:59 am

I forget which episode it was, but it's definitely toward the end of the series. The entire sequence when the new Nautilus is introduced, is practically a frame-by-frame recreation of a similar scene from early on in the first season of Space Cruiser Yamato. Awesome. It almost makes me want to sit through the entire series again just for that scene.

My brother and I grew up watching Star Blazers, so when I showed him that one scene from Nadia, just from the sheer nostalgia alone, he almost lost control of his bodily functions.

Actually, I remember thinking that a lot of the submarine battles all throughout the show were very reminiscent of Yamato.

Plus, I liked how Nemo was the spitting image of the captain from Super Dimension Fortress Macross.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”