Anno voicing the main character in Miyazaki's upcoming film

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Also Anno is pretty chill, charming guy in interviews most of the time and good natured to boot. It's only in the Eva era 90s interviews where he comes off as nervous, sweaty wreckball.

Recently Anno ended up giving apromptu, heartfelt speech about meaning Tokusatsu had for him and his generation on television which I could really appreciate even if I have no real affect for the genre.

Even if I don't understand what he is saying I can tell how much he loves Toku.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 am

View Original PostXard wrote:If I remember correctly Anno said somewhere he would've been happy with NGE's final episode being him sitting on a chair in empty room and talking to camera. Other GAINAX guys veto'd the idea :lol:

I don't think chairs were necessarily involved http://www.gwern.net/docs/eva/1996-newtype-anno-interview :

But in the end/as a matter of fact, I didn’t need drawings to represent my vision of things. In truth, I would’ve been just as happy to explain myself by spoken word. I would’ve done it, but alas, it was rejected

(Although maybe you read the Japanese original; I'm just going off the French translation there.)

Also, I think your translation got cut off:

*アフレコ/afureko comes from "after record" and is generic Japanese term for dubbing. In other word

In other words?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Even if I don't understand what he is saying I can tell how much he loves Toku.

I was thinking of transcribing and translating it when I first saw it but came to consider it a bit too much of a challenge.

He starts with saying he's certain that eventually Tokusatsu will disappear entirely and the process has already started and it's something that can't be helped. However, despite this Anno wants to make sure knowledge that such thing once existed will remain for the future even after he (and others now alive) has died. He considers the Tokusatsu Museum exhibition he curatored as first step in this process. The talk continues from there but whole summary is beyond me as there are some (though small) parts I don't quite undertand. Anno's mumbling doesn't make it any easier.

View Original Postgwern wrote:(Although maybe you read the Japanese original; I'm just going off the French translation there.)

Nahh, that was what I was thinking of. I haven't even read the original Japanese text. I guess the eventual aesthetics of EoTV coloured my memory of what Anno said there.

View Original Postgwern wrote:In other words?

Well, I initially ment to write bit longer footnote for afureko but decided it didn't need one. Looks like I forgot to delete the first three words from the sentence I removed. Afureko is simply what goes on at 0:51 in the news clip so just making it clear the term refers to dubbing process should be enough, I think.

Here's alternative news coverage (source: no idea) of the seiyuu news with some amusing 3D Anno animation

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue May 14, 2013 12:16 pm

That man's got some ears.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue May 14, 2013 3:55 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I just thought about something... what if Anno aces VA acting and gets the idea of giving himself a speaking role in Rebuild FINAL, like a narrator or something? Now that would be awesome.

It'd be like The Dark Tower. Except awful worse.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:It'd be like The Dark Tower. Except awful worse.

not liking the metaness of The Dark Tower
not liking final volume

tsk

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 am

"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:09 am

That fucking balalaika strings. I'm tearing up already a bit.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 am

Never have imperialism, militarism, and war crimes sounded so nostalgic and peaceful.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:49 am

View Original Postgwern wrote:Never have imperialism, militarism, and war crimes sounded so nostalgic and peaceful.

Never have I seen so uncalled for comment from gwern

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 pm

That film looks gorgeous. When it comes out here, I'm seeing it. Then I'm buying it.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

So apparently, Miyazaki has more up his sleeve: ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... final-work

It's still amazing to consider the dude was planning on retiring for good 15 years ago.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:07 am

Hah, I was under the impression that this time he was going to call it quits once and for all considering his age and the whole melancholic vibes I'm getting from this film.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:00 am

BTW, what the hell is going on with the Porco Rosso sequel? I thought that was gonna be Miyazaki's next project....this new film kinda took me completely by surprise.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TruthfulLie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:36 am

The more I read about this film, more I worry about it. It's such a touchy area to deal anything that relates to the war especially if it's Japan who's making the film, but on top of that to bring Kaimkaze Zero fighter plane designer to the film's protagonist...I just don't know how I feel about it all. I'll wait and see it for myself to make make up my mind about it. But just reading the reaction from the pre-screening by the various directors and reviewers, it has me worried.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 am

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:The more I read about this film, more I worry about it. It's such a touchy area to deal anything that relates to the war especially if it's Japan who's making the film, but on top of that to bring Kaimkaze Zero fighter plane designer to the film's protagonist...I just don't know how I feel about it all. I'll wait and see it for myself to make make up my mind about it. But just reading the reaction from the pre-screening by the various directors and reviewers, it has me worried.

Well, last I checked Miyazaki is a big time pacifist so if you're worried its a promotion of Imperial Japan, I wouldn't worry.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TruthfulLie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 am

Miyazaki is known as a pacifist but is he enough of a pacifist and brave enough to portray the negative side of the war which Japan was responsible? I doubt it. Though I understand the film's premises isn't focused on the war, era and people involved in it makes hard not to deal with the subject. I'm worried about it being likes of Graves of the Fireflies. It doesn't support Imperial Japan by any means but the fact that the film portrays Japan closer to that of victims' point of view always disturbed me. The film felt like it was saying "look, we suffered too." and it hasn't convinced me that it had any anti-war message or acknowledgment of their own blunder by any means. If it had been some other country that the film portrayed, then it would be another story. We always have to take the work in its context and seeing a Japanese film maker creating a film about the fighter plane that was specialized for Kamikaze attacks as the protagonist doesn't sound too far off from Graves of the Fireflies to me.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Worried about a movie being like 'Grave of the Fireflies'? Depressing feelings aside I wish more films were like 'Grave of the Fireflies'!

Anywho, in Miyazaki I trust. If anything the story of a young man wishing for nothing but to fly & then seeing his dreams & hopes turned into vehicles of destruction, murder & suicide sounds like a terribly poignant film.

*Perhaps casting Anno in the lead role was more spot on than first thought since NGE - the anime that was meant to encourage otaku to go outside & live - has been turned into one of the if not THE most discussed & otaku-merchandise/lifetstyle encouraging work of art ever.

Either way, I'm there with all the cinema buffs of the world & am exceedingly curious to see what kind've story Miyazaki is going to tell here. I don't know much about the real guy but I assume whatever Miyazaki is doing it will be quite the emotional experience.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TruthfulLie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:31 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Worried about a movie being like 'Grave of the Fireflies'? Depressing feelings aside I wish more films were like 'Grave of the Fireflies'!

Anywho, in Miyazaki I trust. If anything the story of a young man wishing for nothing but to fly & then seeing his dreams & hopes turned into vehicles of destruction, murder & suicide sounds like a terribly poignant film.

*Perhaps casting Anno in the lead role was more spot on than first thought since NGE - the anime that was meant to encourage otaku to go outside & live - has been turned into one of the if not THE most discussed & otaku-merchandise/lifetstyle encouraging work of art ever.

Either way, I'm there with all the cinema buffs of the world & am exceedingly curious to see what kind've story Miyazaki is going to tell here. I don't know much about the real guy but I assume whatever Miyazaki is doing it will be quite the emotional experience.

Most of the reviews have praised how beautiful the film was, but amongst many I find this particular review interesting.

Nakimori Akio wrote...

I finished the viewing of "Kaze Tachinu." Climactic! The earthquake, pride of Japanese, defeated in war, dream of flight, will of engineer and pure love...it's all beautiful. But its ideology is totally full of weaknesses. Considerable criticism is expected. In order to highlight the beauty and innocence of the protagonist, it portrays him as mere designer of the fighter and grants grace to wrongdoing of 'fighter=war' idea. The old maestro who has created many masterpieces despite it being possibly his last work, is reluctant to critique [on war] while at risk of the criticism [of his own]. That's how beautiful "Kaze Tachinu" is yet vulnerable. Just like the country itself. It feels like a task of ideological challenge has been given to future generations from Miyazaki Hayao.

A beautiful film is good thing, I expect nothing short of him. But when its ideology towards WWII is considered weak, it's not just a beautiful film anymore but a film that may be glorifying certain ideology. So I worry because again I expect nothing short of this guy since he has been one of the great if not the greatest. And with much of the recent political movement in Japan as of recent, this stuff may be sensitive to some people including myself. Creating a beautiful film about Horikoshi Jiro is one thing but to glorifying him is another. Because, as you stated, not many people know of his life. You can decide for yourself if he's a person who deserve to be glorified or someone who should be frowned upon based on historical facts. But the film features a fictional one which may and most likely will glorify and beautify the real Horikoshi who created the Kamikaze Fighters. And knowing that Miyazaki has portrayed this character as projection of himself is another thing that concerns me. Such maestro who has much influence over many people, I feel it's an important issue and as a fan I am concerned.

As for the 'Grave', it was beautiful and haunting but still disturbing for me by the idea that such story could implement distorted idea of the war to a lot of people especially Japanese kids when they are already being thought such idea in school.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 pm

This whole insinuation of "if you don't denounce you are a glorifying nationalist" is highly dubious. Dude made planes and was unfortunately born in an era of conflict which used his talents like many other men around the world at that time. I'm pretty sure Miyazaki focused on the movie playing before the war for very good reasons which is to make for a romantic story about his love for aviation. To question his character because he doesn't appease in apologetic politically correct anti-war sentiments that some would like to hear is laughable. This is the guy that openly hates on people for killing trees.

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:Miyazaki is known as a pacifist but is he enough of a pacifist and brave enough to portray the negative side of the war which Japan was responsible? I doubt it. Though I understand the film's premises isn't focused on the war, era and people involved in it makes hard not to deal with the subject. I'm worried about it being likes of Graves of the Fireflies. It doesn't support Imperial Japan by any means but the fact that the film portrays Japan closer to that of victims' point of view always disturbed me. The film felt like it was saying "look, we suffered too." and it hasn't convinced me that it had any anti-war message or acknowledgment of their own blunder by any means. If it had been some other country that the film portrayed, then it would be another story. We always have to take the work in its context and seeing a Japanese film maker creating a film about the fighter plane that was specialized for Kamikaze attacks as the protagonist doesn't sound too far off from Graves of the Fireflies to me.

Japanese civilians got firebombed into oblivion and were just as much victims of war than any other nation. Grave of the Fireflies focuses its attention almost entirely on the personal tragedies that war gives rise to, rather than seeking to glamorize it as a heroic struggle between competing ideologies. It emphasizes that war is society's failure to perform its most important duty to protect its own people. If one wants to be this kind of cynical and see some false victim mentality I'd say he holds some unreasonable grudges and needs to learn some perspective.

And from what I've last read, the controversy about Japanese history books were isolated cases and kids get taught just fine.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”