Evangelion and Pacific Rim comparison

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SatoshiKonFan
Embryo

Evangelion and Pacific Rim comparison

Postby SatoshiKonFan » Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 am

Looking at the (awesome) Pacific Rim trailer, I couldn't help notice some visual and plot similarities contained in this post: [url]http://www.electric-shadows.com/?p=386[/url]
Would love to hear what you guys think.[/url]
Is it real or is it anime?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun May 05, 2013 12:17 pm

There's some similarities, but I think the most appropriate comparision is with the Giant-Mecha anime genre in general. There are any number of giant robot shows that would also fit the bill here.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun May 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Del Toro has made it clear there is no specific influence from Eva (giving the general impression he's a bit fed up of fielding that particular question). It may be one of many mecha-anime influences but only because Eva itself has influences from other mecha-anime. This isnt 'Eva the Live Action Movie' by stealth. Hell, the pilots arent even inside the mechs.

SatoshiKonFan
Embryo

Postby SatoshiKonFan » Sun May 05, 2013 1:18 pm

True that Del Toro has commented on a general mecha-link, which is why I'd love to hear from the co-writer (and monster designers for that matter), I still think there is a direct influence. Which is no bad thing - Evangelion itself was directly influenced by another TV masterpiece, The Prisoner.

Jayfive - I reckon the pilots are going to have get in the robots for the climax of the film. The human element isn't there if they're remotely controlling them miles away.
Is it real or is it anime?

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah, in entertainment today you either take someone else's idea and change it to be your own or you restrict yourself even more by trying to avoid copying. Similarities aren't bad, so long as it has its own ideas to make it good. I'm really honestly looking forward to this movie ^_^ .

I'm also anticipating seeing it so I can participate in the inevitable "Evas vs Jaegers" thread that will pop up everywhere on the internet.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Lowki
Embryo

Postby Lowki » Mon May 06, 2013 12:26 pm

"To defeat Gods, we had to create Gods" I think this is really where the similarity begins and end. Without seeing Pacific Rim myself yet I can't say for sure but I doubt any of the main protagonists have a severe oediupus complex or are as wonderfully in-capable or messed up as the Eva pilots in general. This is a Hollywood blockbuster and will adhere to far more cliche hero archetypical roles as such. Visually there may be similaritys or influences but again this can be attributed to the Mecha genre in a whole not just Eva as previously stated.
-Generic profound message (not feeling very profound right now so deal with it) x x -

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 12:29 pm

The script was written by an Eva fan and is pretty much a carbon copy of... you know what? I'll just post this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCcFTeDdq_Q
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostElect G-Max wrote:The script was written by an Eva fan and is pretty much a carbon copy of... you know what? I'll just post this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCcFTeDdq_Q

Oh, come on, man. They aren't even close.

Seriously, I'm not even looking forward to this flick (seems formulaic as all hell, and that oil tanker business sealed it for me), but this ripoff nonsense is stupid. It's like Warren's constant spewage about RahXephon every time it comes up: "OMG there's a girl in a yellow dress it so ripped off Eva!" Never mind that the girl, her role in the story, her appearance, and the composition of the shots are completely different, she's in a yellow dress so it must be a ripoff. Same thing here.

You want ripoff fuel here, look at freakin' Ultraman or Godzilla (hell, a couple of the shots in that trailer looked like they were lifted directly from GINO). I mean, even that would be silly, since those flicks influenced absolutely everything remotely related to them, but at least the influences would be genuine. By contrast Eva's a loooooooong way down the list.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon May 06, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby MoroNoKimi » Mon May 06, 2013 1:18 pm

There's already a thread for this, isn't there?

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10916/Pacific-Rim/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 06, 2013 1:33 pm

This movie is going to rock socks, the giant robot bashing even excuses the PG-13 lack of boobs, peace out.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon May 06, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm still in doubt that this movie will be really good but I don't think it's a direct Eva ripoff. That's just generalization at it's worst.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 06, 2013 4:12 pm

I dunno, man. I think it'll be the best summer flick of this year. We'll finally have a solid story to accompany giant monster fights. Since when has that happened on an American big-budgeted action film?

Oh, right. Never.

I mean, sure, it'll shout out to anime fans, one of which is Evangelion, but so what? It's really no worse than Star Wars taking story elements from Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai or The Matrix taking fight choreography from John Woo movies. If you were alright with those, then you should be alright with this.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 06, 2013 4:31 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It's really no worse than Star Wars taking story elements from Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress
FTFY
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Having said that, I will probably be quite put out if there isn't any nod to Eva in there at all. Even if its just a visual easter egg or something.

If one of the characters says 'Get in the fucking robot', that would be awesome...
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:FTFY

I was thinking more in terms of narrative forms, but yeah, Hidden Fortress does have more to do with Star Wars than Seven Samurai.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 pm

lots of denial about PR being an Eva ripoff

Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that the writer admitted to being an Eva fan and stuffing the script full of homages, like the LCL in the suits, the albino characters, the use of a giant-as boat as a weapon, and the entire "you two pilots have to train together to be in sync" plot.

Let's instead make stupid comparisons to Gojira, which has absolutely nothing in common with Evangelion OR Pacific Rim except for the presence of giant monsters rampaging around in cities.

:rolleyes:
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 pm

View Original PostElect G-Max wrote:Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that the writer admitted to being an Eva fan and stuffing the script full of homages, like the LCL in the suits, the albino characters, the use of a giant-as boat as a weapon, and the entire "you two pilots have to train together to be in sync" plot.

He's also said point blank that his primary influences were shows other than Eva. Why are you keen to take his word when it suits you and not when it doesn't?

Let's instead make stupid comparisons to Gojira, which has absolutely nothing in common with Evangelion OR Pacific Rim except for the presence of giant monsters rampaging around in cities.

:rolleyes:

. . . have you actually watched a Kaiju movie? Like, ever? 'Cause you just described the plot for pretty much all of them. By the standards you've described here the mere presence of giant monsters makes it a Gojira ripoff.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:He's also said point blank that his primary influences were shows other than Eva.

Citation?

While we're at it, can we get a citation for the original claim that Travis Beacham was an Eva fan? Perhaps a link to the leaked script?

View Original PostBagheera wrote:. . . have you actually watched a Kaiju movie? Like, ever?

I've seen both Power Rangers movies, Roland Emmerich's Godzilla with Matthew Broderick, and all of the Evangelion movies.

Oh, and the Escaflowne movie.

Do any of those count?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 6:51 pm

View Original PostElect G-Max wrote:I've seen both Power Rangers movies, Roland Emmerich's Godzilla with Matthew Broderick, and all of the Evangelion movies.

Oh, and the Escaflowne movie.

Do any of those count?

:uhh: Are you serious?

Dude . . . if that's all you've seen on the subject, why are you even talking about this? You're so far out of your depth you don't even know. :facepalm:

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote::uhh: Are you serious?

Dude . . . if that's all you've seen on the subject, why are you even talking about this? You're so far out of your depth you don't even know. :facepalm:

Okay then. Name another anime series that his as similar to Pacific Rim and Evangelion as they are to each other.

And Rah Xephon doesn't count.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”