About Unit 02['s Beast Mode]...

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TK421
Embryo

About Unit 02['s Beast Mode]...

•      
  •      

Postby TK421 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:32 pm

What was up with its Beast Mode in 3.33? It turned into a cat! That was really weird and seemed kinda out of place. Anyone have any ideas?
Hello.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed May 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I guess anno was trying to be a little more literal on why it's called beast mode, after eva one really turned primal when it wen bezerk
ANATA BAKA !?

thegoodson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thegoodson » Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 pm

As a big fan of Q this was honestly the most jarring (but still oh das cool) aspects of 3. My best guess is its tied in with how 02 is the first "combat Eva" and has a different method of construction. Whether that involves giant panther DNA, idk.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: [SPOILERS] About Unit 02...

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 3:41 pm

View Original PostTK421 wrote:Anyone have any ideas?

Ideas about what? There isn't really anything to answer. It's just another beast mode.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Wed May 01, 2013 3:44 pm

I think the beast mode form depends upon the user. or 3.0 Unit 02 might not be the same unit 02 we know

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: [SPOILERS] About Unit 02...

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm

View Original PostTK421 wrote:What was up with its Beast Mode in 3.33? It turned into a cat! That was really weird and seemed kinda out of place. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe Unit 02's control system was Asuka's pet cat!

There's a lot of cat-like imagery in 3.0: Mari and Asuka's helmets, Code Triple Seven, Mari Makinyami herself, and arguably Unit 08's head. When it and Unit 02 climb out of Terminal Dogma chasing Eva 13, the way 08 flicks its head and horns up is very reminiscent of anime cats/catgirls.

Maybe Anno's just making a long string of pussy jokes? :tongue:

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 pm

View Original Postlastcody wrote:I think the beast mode form depends upon the user. or 3.0 Unit 02 might not be the same unit 02 we know

I doubt that. Reichu (afair) went into detail a bit about that. When Mari activates the Beast Mode in 2.22, it says that it's just Phase 1, implying that there were several modes to begin with.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Lizard-dog from 2.0 is actually the second Beast Mode form. I'm guessing what we got prior to the kitty cat might be #1?

Also, for those who might find it amusing: Eva-02 actually says "Nya" in the script.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TK421
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TK421 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I find it odd because, up until this point, the Evas have been primarily humanoid in appearance. Even when they go berserk they retain a fairly human shape, though they do crawl on all fours at times.

But this? This is totally new. It has a tail. It has paws. It's just...weird. haha.
Hello.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Lizard-dog from 2.0 is actually the second Beast Mode form. I'm guessing what we got prior to the kitty cat might be #1?

Also, for those who might find it amusing: Eva-02 actually says "Nya" in the script.

Where? I demand proof! During what run time do wear this "Nya"? When Unit-02 pounces on the awakened Mark.09 before it makes it's attack?

:huh:

I guess that explains the kitty helmets we see in the beginning of the movie and why Asuka sports kitty hat as well.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Also, for those who might find it amusing: Eva-02 actually says "Nya" in the script.

And this is the nya~ face

SPOILER: Show

EDIT: proof for Rei IV

1391 = Aoba: ..............Eva-02 enganged Adams' Vessel
1392 = Misato: We're counting on you, Asuka
1393 = Mark.09 shoots beam
1393 = Eva-02 slaps beam aside, then Nyas it's way onto Mark.09's in the next cut

ニャッ! = Nya
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Has anyone here ever read the Book of Daniel in the Bible's Old Tentement? I always speculated that "Beast Mode" was a reference to God turning King Nebuchadnezzar into an animal. You can read that here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/11639/The-Beast-Revisited/

Kitty Unit 02 doesn't look quite like the images in the Book of Daniel, but at least we can sort of confirm the Eva Unit growing some kind of fur this time around.

SSJ Spartan01
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SSJ Spartan01 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 am

I didn't find a whole lot wrong with Evangelion Q, but I'm afraid to say that Unit-02's Kitty Cat Beast Mode stage was probably the worst thing about the movie for me. I can't even imagine Anno coming up with this, it's just so random haha. There's a chance that this ascended mode of beast form could be due to Asuka's angel contamination.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu May 02, 2013 8:12 am

^ You're not wrong there - Everything about it screams Yamashita, haha.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 am

Obviously, in the NTE world, the pets of children are used to create Evangelions and not the souls of their mothers.

"Going to live on the farm with grandpa" is actually code for becoming a giant robot to fight aliens. Obviously.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 am

Well, Eva-01 did show some bestial behaviour in NGE, specifically when it got down on all fours and munched through Zeruel's carcass, although this is the first time an Eva's actually gone from humanoid to quadrupedal form...Possibly it has to do with the special code Asuka invoked?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

TK421
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TK421 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 am

It just looks silly, like something out of another (inferior) giant robot anime, if you ask me. I'm surprised more people are talking about it.
Hello.

Psychodrake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Psychodrake » Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

View Original PostTK421 wrote:It just looks silly, like something out of another (inferior) giant robot anime, if you ask me. I'm surprised more people are talking about it.

That's where subjectivity really comes into it. It's playing to the strength of the organic nature of Eva. While I admit growing giant paws out of nowhere is a little stupid and a little bit much, the whole thing retains an Evangelion feel through its execution - The beast modes have been used in powerful scenes that involve relentless, otherwise impossible assault, and both times have failed. Also, the way they're animated and the sound design behind them screams Evangelion, with use of very powerful and hard hitting roars/growls and the crunching of bone and tooth.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 02, 2013 2:08 pm

I have come to not mind the beast mode stuff because it has become clear by now that NME is not nearly as much about the Evangelions themselves as NGE was. There hasn't been as much of a huge buildup of mystery as to their nature, not like existed in NGE. They really are more like mere tools and weapons this time around. I'm not even convinced that each Eva has its own unique mother-soul anymore; maybe Unit 01 is now a special case.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I have come to not mind the beast mode stuff because it has become clear by now that NME is not nearly as much about the Evangelions themselves as NGE was. There hasn't been as much of a huge buildup of mystery as to their nature, not like existed in NGE. They really are more like mere tools and weapons this time around. I'm not even convinced that each Eva has its own unique mother-soul anymore; maybe Unit 01 is now a special case.

I thought the giant white engine that sprouted from 00's back were far more ridiculous than the Beast Mode. At least they established the beast mode in the previous movie so it wasn't a surprise, other than looking like a cat. When the white jetpack sprouted out, it was the only time I looked at my friend who was watching with me and said, "What is happening?"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”