Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Comic Books?

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:49 am

Well, I finished The Invisibles, in so far as such a book CAN be finished anyway. I enjoyed it but I don't really understand it, and I suspect it isn't something you're actually supposed to understand in a rational sense anyway. The ending felt like a crock of shit though, a gigantic non-issue cop out which, because the story deals with self-sustaining time loops, means nothing was ever at risk from the very beginning even though almost everyone had no idea what the hell they were doing. That and there are so many utterly dropped plotlines along the way, some of them quite major... I still don't know what the heck the hand of glory actually did, or why they bothered to teach Jack how to fight and fly planes when he doesn't care to use these talents at any later point, or how the heck the King-of-all-Tears is able to be killed twice, or where Billy Chang went, or who the random blind guy who plays chess is supposed to be.

Oh well, on to The Filth next I suppose.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:10 am

Superman #51 is probably the best Superman comic written in the last five years outside of Grant Morrison's Action Comics, and this is the opening page:

Superman #51  SPOILER: Show

Looks like the speculation is true, but there's so much love and emotion in these pages. If I wasn't excited enough beforehand, I'm super stoked for Tomasi's run to begin proper for Rebirth now. Hell, I might even read the rest of this Super League crossover. Fucking sign me up and hook it straight into my veins!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:04 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:
Superman #51  SPOILER: Show

Who cares you'll be back in 4 months? this is not all star superman so it doesn't matter.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:39 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Who cares you'll be back in 4 months? this is not all star superman so it doesn't matter.

Not so, it seems like the new 52 Superman is going to die & the pre new 52 Superman from the Lois & Clark series is going to take over.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:14 am

I read the first issue of the new Black Panther last night. Real good stuff. Writing's on point, the art is incredible, there's political intrigue, powerful character dynamics, a gorgeous locale and plenty of nuanced action. Basically it's everything I want out of this sort of superhero comic and it's only at one issue in. If the quality sticks, and the series realises its potential, Coates and Stelfreeze are going to craft something very special here. Highly recommended.

BLACK PANTHER #1  SPOILER: Show

The story is about upheaval and revolution in Wakanda; when the people of the richest and most advanced country of the world decide that they no longer need a monarchy to govern them.

Also, Ta-Nehisi keeps a blog over at the Atlantic about researching and writing for the book; Conceptualising the Black Panther. The depth of thought and attention to detail he's given is mind-boggling and, as a reader, much appreciated.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Not so, it seems like the New 52 Superman is going to die & the pre New 52 Superman from the Lois & Clark series is going to take over.

Yep. It may be pretty obvious, but my theory goes along with the popular speculation...

SPOILER: Show
...that New 52 Superman will "die" but Clark Kent will continue to live, a normal life, depowered. His powers will get distributed across this new Chinese Superman and Lois Lane who becomes the new Superwoman. Meanwhile, post-COIE/pre-Flashpoint Superman (whatever the fuck you want to call him) becomes the primary Superman again. Then considering too that Lex Luthor is going to co-star in Action Comics in his own new Supersuit, and Jon Kent teams up with Damien Wayne in Super Sons; the Superman line is going to be pretty buck wild and keyed up for Rebirth, kind of like how the Spider line is now for Marvel. I'm really looking forward to it to be honest, especially with Tomasi, Gleason and Mahnke on the main title.
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 am

^
Chinese Superman? Isn't Superman meant to be a paragon of American virtue? xD
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Yeah, New Super-Man is the name of the title. I'd wager it was set up as a vanity/containment title for Gene Luen Yang, who was the most recent writer on Superman, but editorial couldn't really find a home for him anywhere else in Rebirth. I'm all for new, diverse characters, but the cynic in me doesn't see it lasting any longer than eight issues or so. I would love to be proven wrong, though.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:14 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yeah, New Super-Man is the name of the title. I'd wager it was set up as a vanity/containment title for Gene Luen Yang, who was the most recent writer on Superman, but editorial couldn't really find a home for him anywhere else in Rebirth. I'm all for new, diverse characters, but the cynic in me doesn't see it lasting any longer than eight issues or so. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

I'm having trouble seeing how Supes would work in a Chinese context. The specific type of superhero that's represented by Superman is just so quintessentially American that trying to do it in another cultural context would just seem . . . terribly forced, I think. This is not to say that China (or India or Japan or whatever) can't have superheroes; quite the opposite! A quick look at shonen series like DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach will provide dozens of examples in the case of Japan, and the same holds when we start to look at the mythology of China and India. But the supers in those stories don't look anything like American supers, and trying to transplant one into the culture of another always feels really awkward to me.

(Personal anecdote: when I was making NPCs for a supers RPG setting I made an Indian expy of Superman called Vishnu. I thought I was being terribly clever and progressive at the time, until I started looking into what the concept of "superman" meant in Hindu mythology. What I found looked nothing whatsoever like Superman, and was actually a much more fantastic being. I was a lot more careful when creating characters from other cultures thereafter.)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 am

Moon Knight got good again, with Greg Smallwood back on art and Jeff Lemire writing:

Knight Knight  SPOILER: Show

In typical MK fashion, it's also completely mental and schizophrenic:

Welcome to New Egypt  SPOILER: Show

Now that both Black Panther and Moon Knight have their own ongoings, I wonder if I'll get my wish of one day seeing a team-up/duo/buddy series a la Superman / Batman AKA World's Finest; the two modern avatars of the Egyptian gods Bast and Khonshu working together. In my mind that book would have so much potential. There could even be a story arc of other more villainous avatars rising up in the pantheon and destroying the balance. Throw in Wakanda and other globe-trotting antics and you've got comicbook gold!
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Finished the fourth book of Lucifer this morning, only one left to go now. Really bummed as I don't want this wild ride to end. Where will I go next for a Sandman-esque comicbook epic? Especially considering I've read Carey's The Unwritten too, which is probably the closest contemporary equivalent (and it's fucking amazing). Maybe I'll have to move The Invisibles omnibus up the queue in my wishlist... as it's the only thing in that kind of vein I can think of at the moment.

In other comics news; my read-through of Morrison's Batman is going pretty slowly, because I'm also re-reading all the Paul Dini Detective Comics which was published alongside at the time. Once I've knocked out The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, I have Private Casebook and Heart of Hush. Then the meaty stuff; Black Glove and RIP. Then I'll revisit Final Crisis for the sake of thoroughness.

Oh, I've been reading Joe Kelly's JLA as well which is almost entirely drawn by the awesome Doug Mahnke. So far it's as good, if not better than, Grant Morrison's run on the title. Which is a massive relief, because Mark Waid's issues were such a fucking bore (it was a real grind working through those, took me like three months or more to get through the one volume). Seriously, the more time goes on I realise the only thing I've actually liked from the guy is Kingdom Come.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:28 am

Civil War #0 preview!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic ... omics-2016

On the personal front, I started Waid's Irredeemable, blasted thru 6 issues so far. Its intriguing but mostly I have no strong feelings on it good or bad.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:37 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Finished the fourth book of Lucifer this morning, only one left to go now. Really bummed as I don't want this wild ride to end. Where will I go next for a Sandman-esque comicbook epic? Especially considering I've read Carey's The Unwritten too, which is probably the closest contemporary equivalent (and it's fucking amazing). Maybe I'll have to move The Invisibles omnibus up the queue in my wishlist... as it's the only thing in that kind of vein I can think of at the moment.

"The Unwritten"? That's pretty good company you're mentioning it in so I'm going to have to google that.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:24 pm

I picked up volume one of Southern Bastards completely on a whim (mostly because Jason Aaron is writing it). Something about southern-fried crime dramas I just can't resist.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/civil-war-ii-0-marvel-comics-2016

Gorgeous Coipel art wasted on a shitty-arse Bendis book.

:dejected:

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:On the personal front, I started Waid's Irredeemable, blasted thru 6 issues so far. It's intriguing but mostly I have no strong feelings on it good or bad.

Be advised; quality, pacing and drive go way down after about the third of fourth volume. Everything the series has to say is said in those earlier issues. Everything else after that just drags poorly, so much so that it just becomes plain bad.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:"The Unwritten"? That's pretty good company you're mentioning it in so I'm going to have to google that.

Yes, do look into it! One of my favourite series of recent years. Admittedly, it starts out a little dry and isn't for everyone, but it really picks up as it goes along and the ending is one fucking hell of an emotional bruiser.

The simplest way I can summarise the series: It's about Tom Taylor, the son of a famous author who bases the protagonist of his best-selling series - basically analogous of the Harry Potter craze - on him, and it consumes the son's life (a direct nod to the real life situation of Christopher Robin). The concept is that the power of belief blurs the lines between reality and fiction, and a cult pops up believing that the real Tom Taylor, and the Tommy Taylor of the fantasy books, are one and the same. That's when things get real weird real fast.

The whole series is basically a giant love-letter to literature, fiction, comicbooks and fandom. It's gorgeous. Strongly recommended.

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:I picked up volume one of Southern Bastards completely on a whim (mostly because Jason Aaron is writing it). Something about southern-fried crime dramas I just can't resist.

I've heard nothing but good things about Southern Bastards. I'm still meaning to read Scalped even, although I won't get around to it until later in the year due to all the other crap in my read pile.

Have you heard about The Goddmaned, Kaz? It's another new Jason Aaron series drawn by the same artist from Scalped. It's only three issues in, so I've asked my LCS to backorder them for me so I can start following it in monthlies. I mean, have a look at the below. It's looks freakin' wild.

Writer JASON AARON & artist R.M. GUÉRA, the creators of the seminal crime series SCALPED, reunite for a new ongoing series of stark and brutal biblical noir. "And the earth was filled with violence." Genesis 6:11. It's 1,655 years after Eden, and life on Earth has already gone to hell. The world of man is a place of wanton cruelty and wickedness. Prehistoric monsters and stone-age marauders roam the land. Murder and destruction are the rule of the day. Humankind is a failed experiment. This is life before the Flood. The story of man on the verge of his first apocalypse. Welcome to the world of the Goddamned.
Warren Peace, #643919

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:06 pm

I'll definitely be adding this to my reading list!
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 pm

How civil war 2 should truly end:

And this is why squirrel girl is the best.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”