Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:06 am

Halle-fucking-lujah: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/18/dc-comics-uncancels-omega-men-restores-full-twelve-issues/

:peace:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Phew, thats a relief. I was starting to think I'd be missing out.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:05 pm

:D :facepalm:
SPOILER: Show

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Public notice: the following is NSFW.

Free minicomic
http://studygroupcomics.com/main/phosphorous-by-julia-gfrorer/

lots of words too
http://mercurialblonde.tumblr.com/post/98815251583

Talk about one up'ment:D

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:08 pm

^ Cool comic.

But are you saying the analysis is a one-up on the artist? I would think that any artist would appreciate someone taking such a deep look at their work.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 am

No it's just I've read things featuring sex but not used this way.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:56 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/30/the-aquaman-story-that-will-launch-a-thousand-headlines-major-spoilers/

Ok... this arc has been... ok the Thule stuff with a alternate universe Atlantis creeping into this world and poisoning it is pretty epic in scope and how Arthur is handling it is cool, Posiden giving Arthur new weapons is cool, however them having Arthur being thrown out of Atlantis again is getting old, The art mainly by Trevor Macarthy is EXTREMELY inconsistent and my biggest concern of course that they where moving things into place to break Arthur & Mera up, this scene made those fears all the worse, however...
Thankfully the writer Cullen Bunn is on the CBR forums (I don't have a account there but I lurk) and has been extremely talkative with people about this issue both critics and fans, and one fan specifically stated that she was worried Mera would treat this as a betrayal and Bunn specifically said that will not be the case, so that for me is a strong relief.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:08 pm

more gfrorer
http://studygroupcomics.com/main/black-is-the-color-by-julia-gfrorer/

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Kinda neat.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Oh for Fuck's sake...
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-teases-civil-war-sequel-for-spring-2016
:cringe:
:facepalm:
:uhh:
Surprised it's not Falcon vs Steve since those 2 are having a falling out in the 8 months between the end of Secret Wars and the new Falcon as Cap book.
Maybe Steve will be on Tony's side.
And they totally are gonna put Opena or Coipel on there and I will have to check it out.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Are you fucking kidding me.
As someone who hated the FIRST civil war this is just overkill on why i don't read Cap/Iron man any-more.

Ugh this shit is going to bleed into carols books again isn't it....
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

...so, the third part of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight series is called The Master Race.

...yeah.

...also, the cover has Superman's dong on it.

Behold...it's safe for work. In fact, that's not even the worst thing about the cover! Not by a long shot!

Anybody else think he's just pretty much thrown all fucks to the wind?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Oh Miller. How the mighty have fallen.

Rob Liefield draws better than this! Rob LIEFIELD. Hell. . .I draw better than this!
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 pm

That's clearly Gorilla Grodd with a shave job to disguise himself.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:16 pm

^

Ladies and gentlemen, I want to welcome you to this shared experience in which we have all witnessed Gorilla Grodd's junk in red spandex.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:...so, the third part of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight series is called The Master Race.

...yeah.

...also, the cover has Superman's dong on it.

Behold...it's safe for work. In fact, that's not even the worst thing about the cover! Not by a long shot!

Anybody else think he's just pretty much thrown all fucks to the wind?

It reminds me of some of the crappier Aliens comics I've seen, and that's saying something.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:It reminds me of some of the crappier Aliens comics I've seen, and that's saying something.

Really?... I have seen most of the Alien comics and I don't recall any will art even a 5th that bad.
Like this is probably one of the lesser art styles for the various dark house series and that top panel alone is VASTLY more competent than the cover.
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=235432

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Frank, drop the pencil and step away from the sketch table. Slowly.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Looks like I stumbled in on a circlejerk!

I was hesitant to defend the cover since not hating on Frank Miller is uncool these days, but Kurt Busiek did just that.

Yeah, yeah, I know some people will already have gauged the intent behind the work and continue to dislike it. That's not the point. If you don't like something because it isn't easy on your eyes or doesn't portray a character the way you want, fine. That's your preference. But criticizing him for "drawing bad" (which really just means he isn't conforming to delicate mainstream sensibilities) is lame. Miller can draw like he did 30+ years ago, but he doesn't want to. He succeeded in doing exactly what he intended, which was to draw Superman as an ugly, ruthless behemoth. The drawing reflects the spirit of the story he's writing. And, yes, you won't like that either. I know.

But he does have skill and his works have more energy and challenge to them than most mainstream comics. By the way, acknowledging Miller as an artist doesn't necessarily mean I agree with whatever messages his works may be trying to convey.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 pm

The problem here isn't the way he wants to draw a character the problem is that he is ignoring all the rules of basic anatomy and has various details that were just sloppily/lazily done.
Look at the S there, part of it is coming off the emblem for no reason whatsoever, the perspective here is wonky as fuck meaning some body parts look massive whereas others look ridiculously small in comparison and superman himself is flying in the most awkward and un-dynamic looking way i have ever seen.

This is BAD ART.

Also I just have to question why DC keeps letting him butcher their characters.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”