Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ryousanki King
Adam

Comic Books?

Postby Ryousanki King » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm curious as to who reads them, if anyone, and which titles you read. I'm a big Marvel nut, especially for Spider-Man and related spinoffs like Venom and Carnage, though if I see a Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, etc, I'll snatch it.

What do you guys read?
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:29 pm

As a kid, the two comics I collected religiously were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sonic the Hedgehog. As I got older, I got into Dark Horse's Alien series. If it had "Alien" in the title, I bought it. Alien, Alien vs. Predator, Alien vs. Batman, Alien vs. Superman, Alien vs. Predator vs. Terminator, the whole shebang. And sometimes I bought from the series that crossed over or were related, like Predator. These days, I haven't been all that interested in comics aside from film adaptations of comics, as well as a passing interest in Manga, as well as some interest in online comics. With a renewed interest in the Marvel universe, especially the X-Men portion of it, I've been tempted to start reading the various series. But due to a lack of funds, if I were to do that, I would most certainly be in an illegitimate fasion, because I'm such a jerk like that. But you knew that already.

Favorite comic of all time: Alien vs. Predator: Duel
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:36 am

I got into Marvel (via reprints in UK comics) back in the late 60s - X-Men and Dr. Strange & Nick Fury being early favourites. These days I've rather tapered off - now Lucifer has ended, Jonah Hex is the only monthly I follow, plus the more irregular titles Powers, Planetary, and - if another issue ever appears - The Red Star.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:59 am

Mostly I read Marvel titles, but I also still read 2000 A. D.

The current titles I'm reading each month
  • New Excalibur
  • The Punisher
  • X-Factor
  • Astonishing X-men
  • Ultimates
  • Cable & Deadpool

I'm also reading all the Annihilation minis and as much of Civil War as I can get.

And now for a breif comparison of two comic characters.

Captain Britain: Is the King

Captain America: Has a really weird shaped head. Also rapeface.

:P
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:08 am

I used to read X-Men too a lot! Oh! And Captain America was my hero!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Toji
Embryo

Postby Toji » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:57 pm

I liked reading the Bishop mini series. Unfortunately, I never did get a hold of the final issue, so I'm left wondering what happened to Bishop after issue 3 >.>.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:12 am

Ive tryed to get out of comics from time to time but theirs always something to bring me back.

NEXTWAVE

Read it
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 am

I got a friend whos making a comic book series, he went to california to talk with the producers that work for todd mcfarlin!

btw monkey wheres your avitar from, looks like a demonic atherin zallaa from gundam seed
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:38 am

DatDude wrote:Ive tryed to get out of comics from time to time but theirs always something to bring me back.

I know what you mean. I've been through the almost given up stage about once a decade, transitioning from Marvel to independents to DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm to...

TheBlueTree wrote:btw monkey wheres your avitar from, looks like a demonic atherin zallaa from gundam seed

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41009#41009
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:39 am

honestly MR.T how do u find all this info so fast?
Mr. Bud

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:43 am

TheBlueTree wrote:honestly MR.T how do u find all this info so fast?

I just remember where the threads are where this is on topic, and/or use the Search facility.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 am

I justed use that today for the first time, Im such a forum n00b
Mr. Bud

Seele 08

Light of the Dawn
Adam

Postby Light of the Dawn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:52 am

Israel's position in all of the comics stuff is just a shame.
All of the comics shops in the whole goddam country (only 3) are far away from me and most Israeli comics fans.
But whatever. X-Men rules.
"I will only be your friend if I'm ordered to."

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 am

DatDude wrote:Ive tryed to get out of comics from time to time but theirs always something to bring me back.

NEXTWAVE

Read it

NEXTWAVE: Healing America by punching people in the face!

God yes. I mean, when I first heard about it I was just please we would be getting another series with X-51 in it, but Nextwave far surpassed that.

tick tick tick BOOM

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:18 am

Don't read many american comics anymore.

I have the whole Preacher-set, which was about the coolest thing I ever saw back then. Oh yeah; I did have a subscription to the swedish edition of Spawn until it was discontinued, but that comic really wasn't all that great. Just pretty to look at.
Can't think of any other right now.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:55 pm

The only comic book I ever read was Sonic the Hedgehog, and then its short-lived but arguably superior spin-off Knuckles the Echidna. I missed a lot of the Knuckles series, however, and I eventually stopped reading the Sonic comic because the two, as well as the innumerable "specials" and miniseries offered by Archie, were so tightly interwoven (yet so poorly thought out, not to mention the fact that the guys and gals at Archie at some point decided that the plethora of characters offered up by SEGA, SatAM, and their own cool-fangled Knuckles continuity wasn't enough to get the story anywhere, so rather than work on said story, they decided to choke the series with heaps upon heaps of new, often lame faces), that the story eventually became utterly incomprehensible.

A few months back I resubscribed out of plain curiosity. I have about 30% understanding of what the hell is going on. What I can still say with confidence, however, is that considering only its heyday (which as a disclaimer seems a lot less confident) ,

American continuity>>>>Japanese "continuity".

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:50 am

Mr. Tines wrote:and - if another issue ever appears - The Red Star.

As if by magic, the first part of the next arc (Sword of Lies) appeared this week, after about an 18mo hiatus.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:36 am

They say that Japanese comic heroes are recognized by their color-coded uniforms and unique super attacks.

They also say that American comic heroes are recognized by their habit of wearing their underpants outside their costumes.

It's a good thing Tintin was never like that, else I'd have naught but manga to read.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:34 pm

So, uh, Civil War #4 was a bit harsh with happened to Goliath..

Right in the chest!

Also, this new team of Thunderbolts will apparently become the focus of the Thuderbolts on-going soon, with the whole nonsense with Zemo and the Wellspring being tied up in some miniseries.

Also also, the new Punisher series is starting next month! :D :D :D

cat42
Lilin
Lilin

Postby cat42 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:08 pm

I don't keep up with comics well, though the Japanese ones I keep up better than most American (of the ones I read)

American:
Batman
X-men (Ultimate X-Men is the best X-men title IMO)
Spiderman (they're reprinting it from the begining and giving it away for free in some american Newspapers)
Jhonen Vasquez's work
Sandman
Preacher
a lot more I can't think of

Japanese:
xxxHolic
Ai Yori Aoshi
Hellsing
Ah! My Goddess!
Happy Mania
Flowers & Bees
Eva