Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Har Har, I see what you did there.

Now you've done it.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Now you've done it.

Oh dear...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:25 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:In all seriousness...I'm not a fan of the overly GAR series (why I loved Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann so much I will never know) so...yeah. The show is probably actually quite good, but the just plain stupid MS designs (A fish? Really?) and general GAR overload just doesn't do it for me.

Speaking as someone who prefers the Real Robot genre to the Super I'm just going to say, once you get older and the more you watch, you are going to want to fill your gaps breaching into different shows, slowly freeing yourself from the shackles of self-imposed limitations and you will be surprised how fun they actually can be. Right now, you just sound overly opinionated about something you do not know much about.

I also don't think you can brush off G Gundam with simply one of "those" GAR shows. To appreachiate G you have to know the history. It was shortly after the completion of V Gundam that Bandai acquired Sunrise. They decided that it was time to reinvent Gundam or kill it off. Imagawa, G's director, was an apprentice of Tomino who once told him that you can never beat the original. So what did he do? He completely put Gundam's premise of being Real Robot upside down and not only made it work but also made one of the most enjoyable A.U. series to this date.

The wacky mobile suits? It's a homage to the old Shaw Brothers eastern Imagawa is so fond of while riding on the Dragonball wave of the early 90s. Ever played Street Fighter II? It's basically one big fighting game robot tournament. Yeah, it can get silly at times but what makes it so great, it treats its silliness earnestly. Considering you liked TTGL, it shows you are not that insular yet. I'm sure if you give it a fair chance you will like it and if not at least you gave it a try.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Speaking as someone who prefers the Real Robot genre to the Super I'm just going to say, once you get older and the more you watch, you are going to want to fill your gaps breaching into different shows, slowly freeing yourself from the shackle of self-imposed limitations and you will be surprised how fun they actually can be. Right now, you just sound overly opinionated about something you do not know much about.

I also don't think you can brush off G Gundam with simply one of "those" GAR shows. To appreachiate G you have to know the history. It was shortly after the completion of V Gundam that Bandai acquired Sunrise. They decided that it was time to reinvent Gundam or kill it off. Imagawa the G's director was an apprentice of Tomino who once told him that you can never beat the original. So what did he do? He completely put Gundam's premise of being Real Robot upside down and not only made it work but also made one of the most enjoyable A.U. series to this date.

The wacky mobile suits? It's a homage to the old Shaw Brothers eastern Imagawa is so font of while riding on the Dragonball wave of the early 90s. Ever played Street Fighter II? It's basically one big fighting game robot tournament. Yeah, it can get silly at times but what makes it so great, it treats its silliness earnestly. Considering you liked TTGL, it shows you are not that insular yet. I'm sure if you give it a fair chance you will like it and if not at least you gave it a try.

Yeah...I'm sorry. :asuka_sad:

I might try watching G, just to see if I like it. I can't say I will enjoy it though. Still, worth a try.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Well said, Fireball. I can be pretty ruthlessly puritanical at times when it comes to my entertainment, but there comes a time when you have to just say "fuck it" and go and have fun with an idea. And Imagawa was right -- if you can't beat the original you have to do something new and different, and G Gundam did that magnificently. Dismissing it because it does exactly what it was designed to do is kinda silly IMO.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:
------

This is pretty accurate :hahaha:

There doesn't seem to be one for Gundam X. Otherwise....Unicorn is the Freddie Mercury of Gundam? That's pretty awesome.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:There doesn't seem to be one for Gundam X.

or F91
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:The MAster Gundam is pretty cool, I'll agree.

Still no excuse for Zebra Gundam or Skull Gundam though And as for this...thing...UGH.

How can you forget about this guy.

There doesn't seem to be one for Gundam X.

Seems like everyone always forgets about poor little Gundam X.

On Topic: I decided that i'm finally gonna watch some classic UC Gundam however with so many shows, OVA's and movies I am wondering whats the best order to watch them in.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:On Topic: I decided that i'm finally gonna watch some classic UC Gundam however with so many shows, OVA's and movies I am wondering whats the best order to watch them in.

Back to the Academy with you, cadet!

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Back to the Academy with you, cadet!

Wow great post Commander Fireball I shall begin my viewing ASAP however I do have 1 more question should I watch the series by order of release or by chronological order of the UC timeline.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 am

Like Char told you, production order is recommended like with everything when in doubt.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 am

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Wow great post Commander Fireball I shall begin my viewing ASAP however I do have 1 more question should I watch the series by order of release or by chronological order of the UC timeline.

I'd say that doesn't really matter although if you want to get through the "main story" first then go through production order since the ovas are just side stories for the most part although stardust memory gives you the story of how the titans came to be.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 am

So release order it is then. thanks for the advice guys looking foward to some classic Gundam.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm

:salute:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Why has Bright a picture of Bernie in his office?

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I've been watching ZZ finally (Alongside 0079 actually), and I've been reading a little bit about the series online. Apparently Tomino decided he hated Zeta or something, and a lot of ZZ was made to specifically shit on it (Like the "ANIME JA NE" thing supposedly was a jab at Zeta being so serious). It had something to with how Tomino thought that anime shouldn't be serious or something.

So...what gives? Why is Tomino so...Tomino? And how can Kill 'em All Tomino of all people say that anime can't be serious?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Who knows. Coping with depressions isn't easy. He was pretty bipoluar that time.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Sat May 04, 2013 12:37 am

Silly question but in what series does the Psycho Gundam appear in? and is the Mk.3 canon or non-canon?

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 am

The Psyco Gundam appears in Zeta, and I think a version of it appears in ZZ as well.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 am

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Silly question but in what series does the Psycho Gundam appear in? and is the Mk.3 canon or non-canon?

Mk I is in Zeta in Hong Kong, Mk II in the latter stages of Zeta and returns in ZZ. Mk III is non-canon.

Return to “Anime and Manga”