[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.33 on Blu-ray and DVD April 24th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final installment is scheduled to debut in Japan on January 23, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

transcendent12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby transcendent12 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I take it you won't be downloading BD/DVD-rips, then?

never said anything about that:P It's just if I did have a Japanese version (any they totally rock in quality compared to the funimation releases (box and stuff)) It would have been nice to append some fansubs so I could watch it on my 46" inch TV at home. But even if I did decide to remux the blu ray, i'd have to buy a blu ray writer for my PC. As it turns out the only way I can watch it on my proper tv and sound system is to get a blu ray rip and just connect my laptop via HDMI. Last incentive for getting the Japanese version is a) ownership, cool box etc b) some pipeline hope that I'll learn Japanese some time in the future. So pretty pointless :P damn you logic... So it'll probably end up something like this: camrip -> blu ray rip -> funimation -> Japanese tetralogy -> learn Japanese -> watch evangelion -> retire.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 pm

If there really aren't any added scenes, that's pretty disappointing. Maybe they're trying to shove this out the door while hard at work on Final, though, and we'll get a rerelease with more content later on like we did with 1.x.

I mean, it's not like Anno is any stranger to finding ways to charge for the same thing two or three times... :|

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 pm

@transcendent12 That's what I plan to do once I get my hands on the subbed BD-rip. I'll settle for the 720p version since that's the best my 26" Vizio can do, but I may just go for broke and watch the 1080p version on the 47" Vizio downstairs. Unfortunately my current laptop's not fast enough for 1080p, and it only has a VGA connector....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

The Killer of Heroes
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Wow, this is certainly surprising!

Hopefully this means we get a quick(er) official English release too!

Stan
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Great that they didn't wait a whole year to release it. This will be my 1st time per-ordering an eva film from Japan---so can anyone please give me safe sites where I can purchase it? (I mean sites that I can buy from with confidence)
Thanks

MAGI_01
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 pm

This news certainly put a smile on my face this morning!
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm definitely back to disappoint if there isn't any additions to the film. What's worse, now that the 3.33 monicker will be taken, albiet meaninglessly, it makes me think it's less likely they will release a properly finished and editorially ironed out version. What would they even call it? It's such a break from precedent.

I don't care one iota about the kaiju short. I wasn't going to be buying until the dub release anyway but still, it's ultimately disheartening news for now.
Shinji embraces the otaku empowerment fantasy and dives headfirst into his mother's basement. -Chrad
Acts of man are better than acts of god. -Misato

The Killer of Heroes
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Here's a thought: Maybe we will get a new 4.0 trailer.

Other than that, I'd just expect minor edits to the animation.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

I've taken that as a given... honestly if we don't get a new or redone 4.0 trailer it'd be shocking. For those of you who've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I'm not going to spoil anything by saying that it's basically one long shot with lots of movement in it; the thing is, the movement is the sort of weightless computer animated approximation of movement that one was seeing 20, 30 years ago. I mean, it's just embarrassingly atrociously executed the way it was shown in theaters. I very sincerely doubt they'd allow such a poor quality demo show up in 1080p on home release.
Shinji embraces the otaku empowerment fantasy and dives headfirst into his mother's basement. -Chrad
Acts of man are better than acts of god. -Misato

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Just a tip for our unspoiled folks.

In a sick and selfish way I hope someone else has a similar reaction to me. Maybe we can discuss our feels and the nature of them while eating tubs of ice cream.

Edit: re the new scenes, while I'd like them I don't think they're particularly necessary. Some more details and information might be nice, but the movie's formatted in a very specific way that the smallest changes can change how one interprets it, and more importantly interprets the characters, and I think that's both important and intentional.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:If you have no control over whether to expose yourself to a bit of entertainement news/spoiler then what do you have control over?

My bladder, and that's about it.
Last edited by CJD on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jomei » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Great news! Although I knew this one was coming sooner or later, this just adds to a long list of amazing things coming out in 2013.

The lack of new scenes seems odd. Will have to wait and see how that develops, but at any rate, I'm excited to see this.

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Super excited about the release date! Won't get too upset just yet about there being no new scenes MENTIONED.

Honestly I 100% expect after all four Rebuild films have come out & hit the stores we'll get hit with a EVANGELION NEW THEATRICAL EDITION COMPLETE release or something. An Evangelion Whatever.5 per se.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

That's the whole point. Instead of little drops trickling out with text spoiler and crappy cams you get the proper experience of a full force blast right in the face.

View Original PostCJD wrote:My bladder, and that's about it.

So bowels are an uncertainty?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Holding out was surprisingly easy for me this time, especially when I look at my 2009 self. I'll hold off on deciding whether to consider that an improvement in mental health or just an increase in general apathy.

I was certainly excited when Q came out and choosing to avoid spoilers was difficult at first, but I occupied myself in other ways and eventually the temptation was gone entirely. Hooray for other things!
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Felipe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Felipe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

I have nothing constructive to add, but...fuck yes, gentlemen. Especially fot those of us who decided to wait for a... proper release.
Huh.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Expect some info about 4.0 within next 6 months?

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Were still two months away from the release, so maybe there's slight chance that we'll still get new scenes and whatnot or some conformation or something. I'm not giving up hope yet! It's also amazing the release is coming out a month earlier, considering the other films came out on Blu Ray/DVD in late May.

I definitely plan to import this, also helpful that it's Region ABC for Blu Ray.

riffraff11235
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:32 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I'm not giving up hope yet! It's also amazing the release is coming out a month earlier, considering the other films came out on Blu Ray/DVD in late May.

Technically it's even earlier than that. The time between the theater releases of 1.0 and 2.0 and their home video releases was around 9 months, so 3.33 is coming out about 4 months sooner than expected.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:That's the whole point. Instead of little drops trickling out with text spoiler and crappy cams you get the proper experience of a full force blast right in the face.?

Hm, some ppl have said that seeing the camrip or watching it in the theater without reading spoilers first improved their experience.

The movie DOES hinge heavily on PoV....

Still... Wait till you DO see it...
Alas poor Kaworu! I knew him well...

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:54 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:That's the whole point. Instead of little drops trickling out with text spoiler and crappy cams you get the proper experience of a full force blast right in the face.

Welll, I wasn't prepared either. I don't know that anyone was, though the effects of said unpreparedness varied by individual. I do think all this talk of being unprepared, though, has actually helped prepare the unprepared.

Anyway, I'm not saying spoilering yourself is a good idea, in fact I think it's an unfortunate reality (I imagine the reaction to certain parts of the movie would be quite different if people had seen it in person before reading spoilers), but avoiding spoilers is, whether you want to believe it or not, quite hard for people on the internet. There's no effective protection, you can't put on a spoiler condom and continue to live your life the way you have before. You have to completely alter how you go about it. Like looking up eva fan art? Can't do that anymore. Like following Eva facebook pages, twitter feeds, or tumblrs (can one even follow tumblrs? I think I've heard people complaining about spoilers on tumblr)? Can't do that anymore. Like discussing anime on general anime forums? You better hope no one posts spoilers for the movie in non spoiler text in a non spoiler thread. I've even seen spoilers in completely unrelated video games through people talking about them.

RIFF DON'T CLICK THIS! Anyone else can click it.

Spoilers that will effect riff  SPOILER: Show
Hell, riff spoiled himself looking up the Wikipedia page of a voice actress from a separate anime because he thought he recognized her voice from a previous work. As he looked through her credits he found out that she voices a character in 3.0, and the name of that character is a big deal.

So bowels are an uncertainty?

I always forget about bowels.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Expect some info about 4.0 within next 6 months?

Eh, if there's nothing on the 3.33 disc about it I wouldn't. The fact that they removed the 2013 date from the official website I suspect it's almost certainly been pushed off. I'm expecting 2015 like other people.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”