Original (Including EoE) VS Rebuild: Which Is Creepier?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Squigsquasher
Banned

Original (Including EoE) VS Rebuild: Which Is Creepier?

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:56 pm

One of the defining features of NGE has always been how monumentally creepy it is. We have the truth about the Evangelions, the horrific mental assault Asuka suffers in episode 22 (which has stopped me from ever listening to Hallelujah again), the squicky anti-fanservice, Reiquarium, the horrific events of episode 23 ("It hurts, Shinji"...URGH!), End of Evangelion with the "thumbing off" scene, Asuka's death, the grotesque scene in which Gendo merges Rei with Adam, the Mass Production Evangelion Series, the scene where Asuka utterly breaks Shinji, who finally snaps and tries to strangle her, the SCREAMING, and many others.

However, Rebuild of Evangelion has it's own set of nightmare fuel. We have the scene with Unit 03, which is now a billion times creepier, Shinji being boiled alive and feeling every second of it, the redesigned and utterly terrifying Sahaquiel, Ramiel's screeching, Unit 02 going berserk, Shinji completely losing it, the deformed Rei face (which is even creepier than before), Rei getting omnomnomed by Zeruel, etc...

The question is: which was creepier, the original series+End of Evangelion, or the Rebuild series?

My personal vote goes to the original series, mainly thanks to episodes 22, 23 and EoE.

But what do you think?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:05 pm

NGE, without a question. While RoE certainly looks a lot sharper and cleaner than the original series and EoE did, the TV series and EoE still win in the creepiness category.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Original.

Rebuild is more interested in being a character study of Shinji (Even moreso than compared to the original series) than anything else, like being "creepy".

Toonsis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonsis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:52 pm

I find absolutely nothing creepy about either, especially the Rebuild movies. At least thus far. I've only seen half of the tetraolgy. My mind could be drastically changed after I watched the last half.

The original series and EoE are strictly thought provoking, in my opinion.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I don't know if creepy is the right word but NGE definitely had an unsettling quality to it. This feeling isn't really present in Rebuild which has focused a lot more on bombast while toning down the mystery. An example of that are the Evas, which feel much more like your run-to-the-mill mecha now that the mother's soul element seems to have been largely done away with along with berserkers.

AlexanderSoryuu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AlexanderSoryuu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:35 am

I'll refrain from spoiling anything, but You can (NOT) Redo is a borderline horror IMO.

Depends on the point of view, I guess, but I'd say NGE still wins the prize as it's creepy from start to the beginning, while real creepiness in Rebuild ( The feeling of dread, mostly ) starts with the third movie.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:10 am

The funny thing is that i don't find evangelion creepy at all. Total opposite, i love violence/shocking/creepy/gore images of anime's, films and TV-shows. Guess i am the creepy one. :tongue:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 pm

I know we haven't gotten to the end of Rebuild yet, so the creepiest may be yet too come. But even said, I don't think you can get any creepier than this:

Reichu's abomination strikes back!  SPOILER: Show
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I know we haven't gotten to the end of Rebuild yet, so the creepiest may be yet too come. But even said, I don't think you can get any creepier than this:

Penis/foreskin?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Penis/foreskin?

Indeed (source thread).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:40 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I know we haven't gotten to the end of Rebuild yet, so the creepiest may be yet too come. But even said, I don't think you can get any creepier than this:

Saichi, this haunted me for several months. I finally got rid of the mental images, and then you come back to torment me. Mean.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Sachi.............That.......!! :gunmouth: (My worst nightmare has just returned... Thanks a lot) :bawl:

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 am

NGE by a landslide, RoE is just a lot sharper and cleaner than the series, but NGE is way deeper and creepier than than RoE could ever be.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 pm

View Original PostRj123541 wrote:NGE by a landslide, RoE is just a lot sharper and cleaner than the series, but NGE is way deeper and creepier than than RoE could ever be.

But wait, you just copied what lunchbox said.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:42 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:But wait, you just copied what lunchbox said.
I normally skim through threads, I did not know my comment was similar to his until you pointed it out.
logic.
ロジック

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 pm

The real question should now be: "Which is creepier? Angelic Days or Petit Eva"?

We can have a tournament of creepiness. The winner gets a crossover with a Slender Man web series.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:19 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:The real question should now be: "Which is creepier? Angelic Days or Petit Eva"?

We can have a tournament of creepiness. The winner gets a crossover with a Slender Man web series.
Angelic Days is not creepy at all. It is pure rubbish, it basically was a stain on the NGE franchise.
logic.
ロジック

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 pm

View Original PostRj123541 wrote:Angelic Days is not creepy at all. It is pure rubbish, it basically was a stain on the NGE franchise.

Amen.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:48 pm

I've never viewed Evangelion as particularly creepy, sometimes it's surreal but creepy denotes a particular type of fright when watching, Evangelion never frightened me but it did make me think and ponder.

That being said, I do think Rebuild has thus far cut out a lot of the surreal like and mystic elements in the main anime series and replaced it with more fighting and violence, hopefully things will change in the future two films.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:41 am

I'm not gonna compare all of NGE with only half oh NME. That's not how I roll.

But these new movies certainly have their work cut out for them if they plan to top parts of NGE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”