Fan Fic Writers Club

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Fan Fic Writers Club

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:39 pm

I'd like to get some discussion going about FanFic writing with my fellow authors.

Just to get things going, I'll throw a few questions out their.

Why write using Eva as a base?

What kind of stories do you try to tell?

What do you feel is important to telling a good story?

I'm going to leave the floor open for a wile before I answer myself. Please add anything you like on top of this.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:10 am

The "Mission Statement" on my NGE home page

me wrote:...stories written with the intent of exploring options which might end up with Asuka better off than the bleak “This sucks” ending of End of. But this is Evangelion, which doesn't do happy endings, so we just have to see where those journeys take us.

And at the same time, writing fics provides a vehicle for putting forth some interpretations that I can read into the noisy data. At least in narrative form, the exercise in Rorschach blot reading feels better to me than merely expounding the raw “this is what I think happened” — I give back ambiguity as well.

addresses the first two points from my perspective.

Telling a good story requires a clear and confident prose style (you need a communications channel to the audience); characters with reasons for doing what they do, and enthusiasm from the author.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:05 am

Since what we write is an Evangelion fanfic, it must have something to do with the anime. But I tend to - as always - expand it with my own ideas. Not necessarily interpretations of the movie. To be honest, in the long run it will have precious little similarities with the "mother story".

I'm continuing the Girlfriend of Steel 2nd Edition from around the fourth volume (which could have been downloaded from EvaMonkey, but it is deleted as I see.). Though I've never seen the first one. I only use it's plot, nothing else but the pure lines there. I don't know what was supposed to be behind those lines, but I think I have put enough stuff there... :twisted:

My main goal is that if you finish the story once, it would be a totally different experience reading it again, with the full knowledge of the tale. I'm trying to place the reader in a shadowy labyrinth, which will be a shining palace for the second run. My "motto" is: never ever be clear, but be so kind to explain things in the end; though there must be a couple of things which must be left in darkness. But sometimes even I can't figure out what the heck is happening... :) that is when I delete the whole crap. :D

Mr.Tines is right, enthusiasm is indeed a requirement. Otherwise you'll put it down after the first few parts, and eventually you'll forget about the whole thing.
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:00 am

Well I'm currently writing my own Evangelion Fanfic called Strange New Worlds. It features the 4 usual Eva characters post Third Impact (Misato, Asuka, Shinji, Rei) and it also features 4 new characters which are inhabitants of another planet which has just been destroyed by an unknown entity, they manage to escape in a Ship and they come accross the third impact world. From there on it goes into discovering the connection between the two groups.

It sounds really awful and really really cheesy I know, but its something that you're best off reading because jumping to any conclusion on it. I've developed my own ideas and such as to a back story and will be expanding on the "Lillith/Adam" coming from an alien civilisation theory. I'll also be incorporating Parallel Universes into it, but will not be delving in any time travel.

I'm usually reluctant to talk about it on message boards such as this for fear of being laughed at, but I thought I may aswel. I'm proud of it anyway.

My motivation for writing it was just a desire to write something with the Eva cast but to try to write something different then a typical Post 3I story or something set during the actual story.

I think the important thing about telling a good story is just to have something interesting or unique to draw the reading in, whether its the authors writing style, a character or a plot point there needs to be something there to keep the reader interested.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Fan Fic Writers Club

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:12 am

DatDude wrote:I'd like to get some discussion going about FanFic writing with my fellow authors.

Just to get things going, I'll throw a few questions out their.

Why write using Eva as a base?

This is a question I don't totally know the answer to. I have many ideas about other anime yet I seem to be fixated on only writing Eva fics. Maybe it is because I think I understand the characters the best from Evangelion and I like to see where I can take those said characters. Then again I fully accept that my representations of the characters are a completely deluded concept of my own greedy mind wanting to comprehend Eva in my own way and I write to see if anyone agrees with me. Another reason may just be that writing Eva fics is just more fun to me than other anime. (That third one is the odds on favorite considering the simplicity of my mind at times.)

What kind of stories do you try to tell?

Mostly romantic comedies. I am far removed from being a teenager and am sort of bored of all that overwhelming angst shit. There is happiness in the world, you just have to find it and that’s how I write.

What do you feel is important to telling a good story?

Expressing your own feelings and beliefs. Even if no one agrees with your view I still say you should stick to that writing as if you don’t your fic is probably going to turn out to be something of a chore more than a pleasure. And when something that is supposed to be a hobby becomes a chore it most likely gets dropped leaving a story with no ending and there already is enough of those out there.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:50 am

Very true tines EVA isnt a pace ofre happy endings, but an ending well earned usually works.

One aspect of EVA I'll alway like is the emotional near misses tha happen throughout the show. Everything could have changed is two or more of the character just lest eachother in emotionaly. I think I hit the nail on the head with that in Redeeming the Demon.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Faußtin wrote:Mr.Tines is right, enthusiasm is indeed a requirement. Otherwise you'll put it down after the first few parts, and eventually you'll forget about the whole thing.

Equally importantly - so would the reader, if you're having to force the words and don't feel inclined to polish what you're writing, it will show, even if not consciously.

@Topic - long form response, compared to the "here is one I prepared earlier" above.

I started writing in my early teens, with the usual reason of wanting to read more stories like ones I'd enjoyed, but had run out of a supply of: 'Doc' Smith, Andre Norton, and latterly Jim Schmitz - those were mainly serial numbers slightly filed off things that probably count as hommage or pastiche rather than fan-fic as it is usually understood. After a dry spell through the 80s and 90s I picked up again, with something much closer to fan-fic, at least in one strand (character names have been lightly disguised and references made to the events of the source material).

That ran into a brick wall, when the characters started taking off by themselves, so I took the final plunge into out and out fanfic, with the Dirty Pair serving as a vehicle for light sci-fi fluff, compared with the heavy stuff that wasn't playing.

And then I saw NGE, and especially EoE - and just had to write it out of my system for catharsis. The first two stories, and long ones at that, just demanded to be written. The third was almost an antidote, mixing in someone who ought be a good role model for Shinji to aspire to - a normal schoolboy, somewhat insensitive and uncouth; and, for once, not feeling compelled to carry on from where I started until the whole messy business of 3I has been resolved.

Unlike Hunter21, I don't do rom-com - the genre makes me cringe, for one thing - and though I'm long past been a teen, the angsty stuff just flows more naturally to me. No, for me, the thing about NGE is that it all centres about the immanentizing of the Eschaton, and not to deal with it is ignoring an elephant in the room.

That actually curbs the amount of stuff I've written as there are only so many variations on that theme I can ring, when taking the original set-up, perturbing the initial conditions and watching it hurtle hellbound in a handcart. I have a scenario and an opening scene for one where Touji and Hikari are pilots of EVA-03 and -04, and a whole bunch of crossover concepts with opening scenes, from Serial Experiments Evangelion to Neon Genesis Kashimashi that will probably never actually get committed to fixed form.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 am

It should be mentioned that finding a good place to post you wrok can matter a lot. IT effects the type of reviews you get, and feed back can help stear your writing. Fanfiction.net is good to start with but their loads of better places just a google search away

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:09 am

I've always been a big fan of writing, and Eva fan fiction seems like it would be a natural, although I've never actually written anything for it. My concern, though, is so many Eva fanfics go the route of the depressing ending. Why is this the case? It's almost as if the fanfic writers are clinging to the main story a little too closely. I agree with Hunter21 in saying that there is happiness in the world, and why can't Shinji or Asuka be allowed to find it? That's not to say every fanfic has to be a romantic comedy, but they can show personal growth in the characters, which could lead to a more upbeat ending to Evangelion. You might scoff and say that it wouldn't be Evangelion with a happy ending, but then again, this is fanfic, so why not strive to make something different from the original storyline?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:09 pm

Very true I like that logic

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 am

Well said, Brik. Well said. Let me know if you're making a fanfic. I'll be glad to read it. Perhaps Eva Monkey will put up some of the good ones. (I know, I know, I'm daydreaming again... but dreaming is just sooo good... :roll: )

It should be mentioned that finding a good place to post you wrok can matter a lot.

I'm posting it to deviantART. The first part was viewed a couple of times, but the second one had only a single view... :( I've been thinking of putting it elsewhere lately, though I'm not that desperate... yet.
DatDude, as I've heared you have a (couple of) fanfic(s). Where can they be found? I'm interested.
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:21 pm

http://www.darkscribes.org/index.php?action=4&user=83

Darkscribes is a great place to post stuff :wink:

Also if you can pm me and tell me how to post fics on dev art I tryed to figure it out once but didnt get to far.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 pm

I was thinking about posting at darkscribes as well but the site is still broken as the link to send a written example of your work to Lord Deathscythe sends me to a dead page.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:02 pm

Hunter21 wrote:I was thinking about posting at darkscribes as well but the site is still broken as the link to send a written example of your work to Lord Deathscythe sends me to a dead page.

Their in the process of upgrading the main page. I suggest register on the board and PM the man himself LD.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:so many Eva fanfics go the route of the depressing ending. Why is this the case? ... I agree with Hunter21 in saying that there is happiness in the world, and why can't Shinji or Asuka be allowed to find it?

Because that way the ending matches the tenor of the series.

I may filter my reading differently, but I found that many Eva fanfics are fluffy pieces with happy conclusions, all over before the scenario hits the downhill ride.

If you confront the big picture, you have to deal with the world ending, let alone finding any happiness that might be left. There might be one last perfect day, but that would already be rotting from the inside out with its evanescence; and after the Apocalypse, an ending in major key would be like a Hollywood focus-group driven fix-up.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:01 pm

I think its more important to have an ending well earned, then ones thats automaticly dipressing.

Yui spoke a lot about hope, and how everything can turn out alright. I think its aginst the spirit of the show to forget that.

I realy want to do a fic about something other then eva but this has me thinking about after EoE. Die in fire all or you for putting this in my brain.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm losing count of the number of dooms you have wished upon me :P

There's a difference between having achieved happiness, and the pursuit of happiness (as in life, liberty and ... ). Hope means that the pursuit does not seem futile; not that it is achieved.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:47 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:There's a difference between having achieved happiness, and the pursuit of happiness (as in life, liberty and ... ). Hope means that the pursuit does not seem futile; not that it is achieved.

I didn't get that vibe from EoE, but thats another topic all together. :P

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:28 am

DatDude wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:There's a difference between having achieved happiness, and the pursuit of happiness (as in life, liberty and ... ). Hope means that the pursuit does not seem futile; not that it is achieved.

I didn't get that vibe from EoE, but thats another topic all together. :P

For what it matters I agree with DatDude. If all you see is a dark and futile future for Eva I don't think you really get the final message of it.

Plus the whole point of writing a fanfic is to be creative. If all you’re going to do is write a fic with the exact same nuances and refuse to grow the characters and accept that people can change (a big part of the meaning of the ending in my opinion) then why don't you just copy and paste the script from the series/movie as your fic. It's going to be the same thing.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:57 am

My point exactly.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Fanfiction”