MMO's

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

MMO's

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Does anyone here play any MMO's or MMORPG's?

I play Guild Wars and Kingdom of Loathing on and off again.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:20 pm

I play Final Fantasy XI, it's my favorite MMORPG so far.

WoW was good too, but I didn't like it's cartoon-like style..

unfortunately, i have canceled my accound since the previous month cause i'm leaving for holidays :cry: :P
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:38 pm

I don't play online games, I have enough addictions as it is.

Kadou
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kadou » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:40 pm

I could never get into MMOs, even if I wanted to for whatever reason. I'd lose interest after a month or so.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:47 pm

ww.planeshift.it

I play this because im too cheap to pay for commercial MMO's
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:35 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't play online games, I have enough addictions as it is.

Quoted for truth, man, quoted for truth.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:10 pm

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach looks pretty cool. I won't start playing though, not unless I know for sure I can play a Githzerai.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:21 pm

I'd play it if I had cash. Sadly I do not. But I'd play a Githyanki if they were available....or a Kobold, I love Kobolds!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:38 pm

Toontown is so cool.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:12 am

Until recently, [URL=http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=52089]Everquest[/URL]. Been playing since 2000 and had over 700 days online. The latest patch required the newest DirectX 9, which broke my machine, so no more EQ for me. The guild that I was in required 70% raid attendance, so I had to play 6 hours a day 5 days a week. Now I suddenly have all this free time.

A few weeks ago I posted at ANF's video game forum under"You're favorite RPG" and I said [URL=http://www.zangband.org/]"Angband"[/URL] will blow any RPG out of the water as far as gameplay goes. Then I was wondering if there was an angband ebuild in the Gentoo portage tree (I run Gentoo linux on my thinkpad), there was, I installed it, now I can't stop playing it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:24 pm

Ornette wrote:The guild that I was in required 70% raid attendance, so I had to play 6 hours a day 5 days a week.

Damn man. DAMN. :shock:

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:55 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Ornette wrote:The guild that I was in required 70% raid attendance, so I had to play 6 hours a day 5 days a week.

That is royally fucked up
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: MMO's

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:33 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:Does anyone here play any MMO's or MMORPG's?

My brother plays Guild Wars all the day! I don't understand what you guys like in this game! You always seem to run and fight and run and fight!
Personally i don't like online games much! I used to play Age of Empires online when i was little, but other than that no..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Satsume
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Satsume » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:50 pm

I used to play Subspace/Continuum a lot. My aim was totally horrible, and I was really bad at it, so I stopped playing. Besides, spaceships shooting at each other all day got a little boring. I went on to Survival Project, GunBound, and Maple Story, but I got bored of those too. Then Flyff and Ragnarok Online, which I've also stopped playing for now. So.. at the moment, I'm not really into any MMOs. They all get boring for me and some of the players online are really annoying. So I've given up, for now! xD I haven't done any p2p. I'm cheap like that.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

Re: MMO's

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:42 am

the_seventh_child wrote:
SEELE 08 wrote:Does anyone here play any MMO's or MMORPG's?

My brother plays Guild Wars all the day! I don't understand what you guys like in this game! You always seem to run and fight and run and fight!
Personally i don't like online games much! I used to play Age of Empires online when i was little, but other than that no..

Guild Wars is fun....when your armor is of a decent level....lots of PvP action like 20 players per side fighting eachother or 20 on your team in a single mission. It gets crazy and chaotic which is what I love. E/R FTW!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:58 am

Space Penis wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:

That is royally fucked up

Yeah, it does sound really fucked up. The thing is, I really enjoyed logging in and spending all those hours figuring out how to deal with new content as a guild. Plus, this is one of the uber guilds across all servers, so we regularly have 50 people online everyday (guild raids 6 days a week, but I can only make 5 days, so I'm just make the 70% minimum). And of course, over the years I've made a lot of good friends, like going to amsterdam to hang out with all the euro members of (a previous guild on the PVP server) my guild.

But, I understand, it's pretty absurd. Even now, I'm being hounded by guilds on multiple servers to keep playing. I played the druid class and on multiple druid forums I've contributed to the wealth of knowledge of how to play the class on multiple levels. I was invited to the closed beta of WoW (and it was kinda fun, the first time around during beta) and now I've had two invites to the closed beta of Vanguard (which is happening now), but my machine is too weaksauce to run the client. Honestly, I agree with EM's sentiment, I'm not going to start another MMORPG simply because I can't invest 60 hours a week to be the best in the game, and even though a lot of the more recent MMORPGs are designed so you can get ahead by playing TONS of hours every day for months and months (SWG is a good example), people who are insane and will spend every waking hour playing a game (like I did back in 2000), casual players cannot keep up.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:36 pm

Hmm I'll post some pictures of a few of my Guild Wars chars

Seele Eight Ne/Mo

Seele Four Me/W (modeled after the UK Seele dude, after all the mesmer class looks...really gay)

Negata Valetana E/R
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't play online games, I have enough addictions as it is.

Amen... I intentionally avoid the things due to the fact that I cannot even accomodate preexisting interests, and by my own assessments I am one of the weak-willed people who would be transformed into a soulless vegetable by MMORPGs. I vegetate enough as it is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 am

Bumping this ancient thread because of something LoganPayne linked.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming/

I was part of that #5. The thing that the article doesn't mention, (and this was removed from the wikipedia page for some reason, eventhough I have screenshots as proof) is that the next day Sony respawned the 4 warder dragons and allowed everyone another attempt which ended in Kerafyrm's death.

http://www.dailysummit.net/english/archives/2003/12/02/shame_and_ridicule.asp
http://gotgame.corante.com/archives/2003/11/25/i_saw_god_and_i_killed_it.php

More technical infos: http://www.albrandes.com/skden/articles/sleeper.asp

My original post back in 2003: http://www.tesuji.org/old_news/the_sleeper.html

Unfortunately, it died inside a pillar:

Some more screenshots:

Edit: updated my site: http://www.tesuji.org/old_news/kerafyrm_the_sleeper_re-revisited.html
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:16 am

:lol: That was hard.

Since you gave this thread the Frankenstein treatment, I'm obliged to show something:

[URL=http://imgur.com/4jIgu]Image[/URL]
The girl in the middle (the one with the Axe shirt) and packing a wicked-looking bow, that's my toon. She's an level 174 dex-build archer with +7 full equips; those on either side are my buddies in a casual guild.

The game -- called Ran Online -- is a free-to-play Korean job, with a modern-day high school theme (unlike Megaten, but otherwise a break from the usual traditional medieval theme) and six character classes, and of course as expected, lots of grinding, some game bugs and a player needs a party to play; in a party must tank the mobs (except for the Shaman class, who provides buffs and spells and thus have to stick at a spot for us to concentrate all the mobs and then kill them).

Problem with the game is, apart from the aforementioned grinding and bugs, large percent of players are flaming, whining kindergarten assholes who wanted everything on the silver plate. The atmosphere is more like a frathouse at full alcohol-burning throttle.

Of late, script kiddies capitalized on an item replication exploit and caused a PR shitstorm on the operator's part, banning anyone even players suspected of carrying duplicated items or over a billion in gold.

Damn tough.

Here's me, back in 2006, wet behind the ears:
[URL=http://imgur.com/43iX7]Image[/URL]

Used to be playing up to 6 hours back in the day, but because I have a lot of IRL things to worry about, I can only now manage 1 or 2 hours.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”