MIA in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Touji, Hikari and Kensuke in 3.0 and Beyond...

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:26 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Perhaps Toji is alive, but simply not on the AAA Wunder. There's got to be more surviving humans; after all, the Wunder had to drop off their fleet somewhere.

The Wunder is pretty big, he could be in the crew quarters or any of the other places Shinji can't see because of his quarantine.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sun May 12, 2013 11:37 am

Still, the Wunder is filled with civilians, it indicates a lack of military personnel. I wonder where all these people live and how they managed to survive.

StormSky92
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby StormSky92 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 pm

I assumed that Toji, Kensuke, and the rest of the people in Shinji's class are dead from Near Third Impact. Pen-Pen.....whose knows. Probably dead too. Or maybe with Misato on the Wunder. Kaji, i'm confident he's alive. Since he was mentioned in the movie, I assume he's off doing something.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 am

I wonder why the Japanese press doesn't ask Kaji's and Toji's voice actors if they had done any work for 3.0
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 am

View Original PostDima wrote:I wonder why the Japanese press doesn't ask Kaji's and Toji's voice actors if they had done any work for 3.0

Because they don't appear in 3.0, so obviously the voice actors didn't do any work for the film...
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 28, 2013 11:27 am

I think the question was really aimed at finding out what they might have done before it was supposedly chucked away and rewritten. But that's still a pretty big assumption, and I don't imagine that the voice work would have been done that early on, either.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:38 pm

View Original PostStormSky92 wrote:I assumed that Toji, Kensuke, and the rest of the people in Shinji's class are dead from Near Third Impact. Pen-Pen.....whose knows. Probably dead too. Or maybe with Misato on the Wunder. Kaji, i'm confident he's alive. Since he was mentioned in the movie, I assume he's off doing something.

I sure hope they are dead. It surprises me how many Toji and Kensuke fans there are out there. They have always just been window dressing. Khara even realized how worthless Toji was, that having him be in Eva 03 wouldn't impact the film emotionally at all, so Asuka got put in there instead.

They are better dead than alive. Shinji finding Toji's shirt and freaking out would be rendered a useless and pointless scene if he ends up being alive.

There is one movie left and an already cluttered cast, we don't need Rosencrantz and Guildenstern popping up in the last act. For Shinji to get his shit together they need to stay dead.

Kaji actually has valuable plot information and they speak about him as if he is alive, and he has ties to Mari, who is being set up to be a key player in the end. Kaji will pop back up.

Pen-Pen, I love him, but he vanished in the TV series when things got serious as well. This is the point in the story where comic relief is all but removed.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:
There is one movie left and an already cluttered cast, we don't need Rosencrantz and Guildenstern popping up in the last act. For Shinji to get his shit together they need to stay dead.

It would be funny if they made another film in the style of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead to explore how Toji, Kensuke and possibly Hikari feel about being so rapidly shovelled into the pit of dead Eva characters during the timeskip.

And I'm nothing like you

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:I sure hope they are dead. It surprises me how many Toji and Kensuke fans there are out there. They have always just been window dressing. Khara even realized how worthless Toji was, that having him be in Eva 03 wouldn't impact the film emotionally at all, so Asuka got put in there instead.

Actually I read some interviews (in this forum, somewhere) that Asuka ended up getting hurt so Mari would have some screentime in 2.22 past her initial battle in Eva-05-P. They literally had nowhere to put any Mari scenes. So they decided to put Mari in Eva-02, and to justify that they had to put Asuka out of action. So the activation test pilot got changed to make that happen.

Said article seemed to imply Mari was more of a business oriented addition to the movie than a storytelling/artistic addition.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:19 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:Actually I read some interviews (in this forum, somewhere) that Asuka ended up getting hurt so Mari would have some screentime in 2.22 past her initial battle in Eva-05-P. They literally had nowhere to put any Mari scenes. So they decided to put Mari in Eva-02, and to justify that they had to put Asuka out of action. So the activation test pilot got changed to make that happen.

Said article seemed to imply Mari was more of a business oriented addition to the movie than a storytelling/artistic addition.

So theoretically if Mari hadn't been added we would have seen Toji failing to pilot Eva-03? Well I suppose under those sorts of conditions Toji and Co. might still be pottering around somewhere, blindsided to make room for more shots of Asuka in her new plugsuit.

And I'm nothing like you

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed May 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Kaji. Is. Dead.

Kaji is Dead  SPOILER: Show

Shinji:Asuka, maybe you know! Where's Ayanami?!

Asuka No idea.

Shinji: No idea? But I saved her!

Asuka: All this fuss over just one person.
In this world, we don't have the luxury of worrying about such things.
[wkimg]Eva3-33 C0316 a Asuka cap.jpg[/wkimg]
Asuka: Isn't that right, Captain Katsuragi?

Though I may be needlessly projecting NGE relationships onto NTE. Still, what else would Asuka be alluding to here . (Toji again! No Way!!)
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed May 29, 2013 4:10 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Kaji. Is. Dead.

Asuka No idea.

Though I may be needlessly projecting NGE relationships onto NTE. Still, what else would Asuka be alluding to here . (Toji again! No Way!!)

Isn't it possible....just possible that Asuka might be referring to Shinji himself here in an oblique fashion? I mean given all the "fuss" they just gave over recovering him and Unit 01.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed May 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Asuka's lines to me suggest a subtext of: 'And I risked my neck and nearly got killed for this whiny brat Misato?'

She certainly gives the Captain...shall we say...'a look'. Her expression becomes more snarky as she says her name. She certainly doesnt wait for a response to her question.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Isn't it possible....just possible that Asuka might be referring to Shinji himself here in an oblique fashion? I mean given all the "fuss" they just gave over recovering him and Unit 01.

thats what I think. And earlier if I recall correctly didn't one of the Wunder's bridge crew mention Kaji? And if so that may imply that Kaji survived third impact at least.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Asuka's lines to me suggest a subtext of: 'And I risked my neck and nearly got killed for this whiny brat Misato?'
Then that fell flat, since this "whiny brat" saved her neck when she was being fried alive in space.

View Original PostJayfive wrote:She certainly gives the Captain...shall we say...'a look'. Her expression becomes more snarky as she says her name. She certainly doesnt wait for a response to her question.
It has been brought up sometime ago, some people think that this exchange hints of a precedent case were Misato was the one who gave to Asuka the "we don't have the luxury for these kind of things" lectures, and Asuka is bringing it back at Misato's face, essentially saying "don't forget your motto just because it's baka Shinji!"
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Thu May 30, 2013 1:14 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Isn't it possible....just possible that Asuka might be referring to Shinji himself here in an oblique fashion? I mean given all the "fuss" they just gave over recovering him and Unit 01.

I also thought she was referring to Shinji.
My train of thought was she told Misato something along the lines of "We went there to get Unit 01 to power the Wunder, not to save just one person (Even if it is Shinji)".

Sort of a "Focus on the mission" talk.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 30, 2013 1:28 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Kaji. Is. Dead.

Asuka No idea.

Maybe you are. That scene seems to reference Shinji's fuss over just one person. (Just one Rei, even.) Also, Kohji Takao directly references Kaji in a way that seems to alude to a recent encounter with him and without a hint of tragedy over a supposed death. Given that there's really no other reason to assume that Kaji's dead (he was in the same general area and Gendo, Misato, and all the other who survived N3I at the end of 2.22 after all), I think the viewer is meant to assume he's still alive.

Now this assumption of Kaji's survival could either lead to pay off when we see him alive and well in FINAL or in having the rug pulled from under our feet if we do learn about his death, but regardless his survival seems to be an assumption the viewer is supposed to make at this point in the saga.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm

View Original PostStikuru wrote:I also thought she was referring to Shinji.
My train of thought was she told Misato something along the lines of "We went there to get Unit 01 to power the Wunder, not to save just one person (Even if it is Shinji)".

Sort of a "Focus on the mission" talk.

You know, going by that interpretation, that make the fact Asuka treated Shinji like crap even more childish : she's all "don't forget we went there for EVA-01, not him"... yet she is the one who desperately called for Shinji's help when she was being fried by Code 04B!

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Maybe you are. That scene seems to reference Shinji's fuss over just one person. (Just one Rei, even.) Also, Kohji Takao directly references Kaji in a way that seems to alude to a recent encounter with him and without a hint of tragedy over a supposed death. Given that there's really no other reason to assume that Kaji's dead (he was in the same general area and Gendo, Misato, and all the other who survived N3I at the end of 2.22 after all), I think the viewer is meant to assume he's still alive.

That would tie nicely with the fact that the crew seems inexperienced, perhaps the Wunder was launched to the seas very recently, and before that Kohji was with Kaji in the settlement where the surviving Lilin are living, and Kaji told him that he won't get bored with a Captain like Misato... and indeed her tendency for completely insane plans is still here, even after 14 years and a second Armageddon! :lol:

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:You know, going by that interpretation, that make the fact Asuka treated Shinji like crap even more childish : she's all "don't forget we went there for EVA-01, not him"... yet she is the one who desperately called for Shinji's help when she was being fried by Code 04B!

Or.. maybe not. Maybe Asuka asked to go rescue Shinji but got shot down by Misato - told "they don't have the luxury of worrying about one person". But once they finish up the Wunder they have a justifiable reason to rescue the Evangelion itself - as a power source. Shinji happens to still be inside, and of course she drops by his holding cell as soon as she can just to see his idiot face.

That's a lot of reading into one small phrase, mind you.

Regarding the final bit of 3.33 - you don't turn around, go back and go to all that trouble if you hate somebody's guts. You keep on walking.

I like that theory about Kaji. It makes sense that there's a colony (or more) of survivors somewhere. Someone has to be making those supplies they were loading, after all, and if Kaji's alive he'd be there. Who knows, maybe we'll find N3I was pretty regional after all. I dunno.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That would tie nicely with the fact that the crew seems inexperienced, perhaps the Wunder was launched to the seas very recently, and before that Kohji was with Kaji in the settlement where the surviving Lilin are living, and Kaji told him that he won't get bored with a Captain like Misato... and indeed her tendency for completely insane plans is still here, even after 14 years and a second Armageddon! :lol:

But this time, she have even less reservations for tossing cannon fodder :irked:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”