Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

What anime are you watching right now? Jan 2013

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 am

Continued from

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Finished Baccano!: Fun stuff.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sun May 26, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Nekomonogatari 1-2

Oh Tsukihi-chan, you truly are irresistible :lol:
SPOILER: Show

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Nisemonogatari is still lurking within the heart of Shinbo I see
I kid, I kid

SDF Macross is actually great so far, i'm surprised as I thought I wouldn't like it that much as I do and would have to trudge through it but it's actually an enjoyable show. Granted, the animation is poor, the art is inconsistent, and the writing is awkward for Lynn but it has a lot of charm packed in, especially for the characters Roy and Misa who I like the most out of the cast. It looks like it's picking up as well so i'm looking forward to more. After it's on to the alternate movie, then Plus, then Zero, and finally the gloriousness that is Frontier.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:37 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::headscratch: I've never even heard of it.

It's the show with all those gifs with the Indian guy and the duck. Not a bad show and pretty wacky most of the time. It's from two seasons ago.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:12 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's the show with all those gifs with the Indian guy and the duck. Not a bad show and pretty wacky most of the time. It's from two seasons ago.

That's exactly it. :nod: Sorry if i generalized there. I personally haven't seen much new stuff recently so I feel like I'm so far behind. Guess i should be a little easier on myself...
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's the show with all those gifs with the Indian guy and the duck.

:chinscratch: ...Nope, doesn't ring a bell.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 am

View Original PostJune wrote:SDF Macross is actually great so far

Of course it is!

View Original PostJune wrote:and the writing is awkward for Lynn

Ehhh, not really. Minmay is one of the best and most realistic depictions of teenage girls and arguably the most accurate one before Asuka came along. She was also very subversive character for her time when idol boom was at its peak - she doesn't exactly live up to her image in civil. Whatever awkwardness you're thinking of is most likely intentional, unless there's some hidden issue about her character I'm forgetting (but I don't think so).

If there's one episode where I felt the writing really showing its age it would be the pretty early Mars episode and tat was issue with Misa's character, not Minmay's.

(btw you want to drop referring to her as Lynn because the biggest jackass in anime history is about to get on the stage)

View Original PostJune wrote:After it's on to the alternate movie

DYRL's great and at least as much a cultural instititution in Japan as the original series. Certainly it's the best space opera love triangle film ever directed by 24 year old virgin.

Nekomonogatari eps 1-2

Hello there, fire sisters

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 am

It's really the scene where she tells Hikaru to join the military even though he's afraid and calls him a coward and selfish or something like that. I just thought that took her naivety to extreme levels as she is 16 and should know the dangers and apprehension he's feeling over it however I also am considering the alternative that she is encouraging Hikaru to join the military so he can fly again. I think the latter is more likely and the translation I am using warped her lines into something bothersome. Everything else about her though does indeed fit with the fickle, moody teen type that the writers are portraying. Anyways I am liking her character from the point that she will add interesting development to this triangle I keep hearing about, and also I find her kinda adorable.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 am

View Original PostJune wrote:It's really the scene where she tells Hikaru to join the military even though he's afraid and calls him a coward and selfish or something like that. I just thought that took her naivety to extreme levels as she is 16 and should know the dangers and apprehension he's feeling over it

oh, that :hahaha:

It is, uhh, Minmay. The girl lives inside his own self-centered bubble world and I don't remember just how long it'll take for her to realize there's actually a war going on. - war as in people she knows get killed there instead of some vague abstraction that takes place somewhere far away.

That is completely in-character for her.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 am

Been marathoning AKB0048 today I’m almost finished the series only have two episodes left (I’d finish the rest tonight but too tired lol). Overall I have really been enjoying the show, even though at first I was a bit off put by the CG idol dancing but I quickly got over that (even though it still feels like their eyes are piercing my soul). But yeah music in the show is great and the action is pretty nice too. These idols are really hard core lol
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 am

Kiddy Grade: As far as I understand it, this is a somewhat nostalgic series for some Americans because it was aired on TV (I think), but having now seen the show, I must conclude it's one of those shows that people latched onto because nothing better was available (see also: Gundam Wing). I guess it was better than that toxic sludge Pilot Candidate.

Let's get the good things out of the way first. I absolutely love the fact that there's a character named Sinistra, and he's one of the most consistently good people in the show. Too bad he's also a totally pointless chunk of bishounen-shaped filler putty.

Kiddy Grade gives me the impression that it was created by a human-doppelganger robot for human-doppelganger robots (in fact, it appears it was directed by an animator with practically nil actual directing experience). There are faint traces of characters and plot present, but instead of a fleshed-out complete series, it feels like a made-up anime from some hip American sitcom with a lovably creepy weeaboo character. It's like if McBain from The Simpsons was a real movie series, and it was the most boring thing ever.

A lot of Studio Gonzo's original shows share this same premise: ass-kicking girls in a futuristic setting get involved with a totally forgettable villain plot, and exploding robots ensue. Kiddy Grade feels quite a lot like another Gonzo offering Melty Lancer stretched out to a two-cour length; it's just as incomprehensible, but unfortunately it doesn't have Melty's occasionally inspired action bits. Kiddy Grade's calling card is bland, low-key awfulness. Gonzo's shows often seem totally lost with world-building, but Kiddy Grade has practically none. There are talking heads and supposedly serious political intrigue, but nothing seems connected in any meaningful way. You'd think a far future world with technology indistinguishable from magic would let the creative staff really go to town and impress the audience, but KG raises its "no fun allowed" flag early on. The first episode actually features some pretty good comparison material, as it was made in 2002 and includes a scene where the main characters' spaceship performs a catapult-assisted launch to the orbit. Angel Links did this same scene two years earlier, and it was glorious. I'm not saying the show as a whole was all that good, but the launch sequence hit all the high notes I'd expect from a space action adventure. In comparison, KG's launch sequence is a wet fart, despite featuring additional terrorists.

The art design is sometimes so lazy that words fail me. Look at this thing. That's supposed to be the bridge of the biggest and baddest spaceship ever built. Majestic, isn't it? I've noticed this issue in a lot of Gonzo shows where all the interior spaces seem oddly empty and unfurnished as if they were unfinished plywood sets for Roger Corman's next film, but nowhere is it more pronounced that in Kiddy Grade. If I wanted to see people zwee-fighting and pulling random superpowers out of their asses in empty warehouses, I'd watch tokusatsu.

"Nah."

The writing is hideous, but it's (unfortunately!) not viewer-insulting high-octane bad like in Allison & Lillia. Rather, the badness just hovers there like an ever-present fog of war. For example, Lumiere's hacking powers seem totally random in terms of whether or not her fingertip data-beams need a medium through which to propagate, but it's hard to get mad about it because everything about the action scenes is so limp-wristed. For a moment I thought the show might start trying a little when around the mid-point of the series the main duo gets caught up in a working class revolution on a planet owned by moustache-twirling billionaire cabal. However, the popular revolution angle is dropped almost instantly and replaced with a baffling Clone Saga arc where you can't tell which character is which, and you won't even care. Then Norio Wakamoto appears to deliver some embarrassing lines, the billionaire cabal reveals its diabolical plan which seems like the best thing that could ever happen to the oppressed masses of the galaxy, the abovementioned biggest spaceship ever gets highjacked just like that, and there's a massively lame fleet battle.

Kiddy Grade is an anime version of elevator music, if the elevator ride lasted nine hours. And as hard as I find this to believe, it got a full-length sequel four years later. That's the sole stunning thing about this affair. Studio Gonzo must have been involved in yakuza money laundering. I can find no other explanation for this.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 am

Just came across a show called Real Drive, the women in this show don't look like sticks, it's amazing. I'm gonna give this a watch after I finish the Macross series and then the Muv-Luv VN's.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 am

View Original PostJune wrote:Real Drive, the women in this show don't look like sticks
It gets referred to as Healthy Drive for exactly that reason, even if it acts like Aria in the Shell for most of the series.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It gets referred to as Healthy Drive for exactly that reason, even if it acts like Aria in the Shell for most of the series.
A mix of Aria and GitS sounds pretty good to me, Healthy Drive sounds fitting as well. If only this could become a standard in anime, average body shapes need love.

Well just finished Episode 18 of SDF Macross and well
Alright, Roy is dead and I don't exactly like how it was handled. I can understand why he decided to go the way he did, spending his remaining time with Claudia since he knew he was gonna kick the bucket soon but the man had enough energy left to head off to his apartment and play guitar while his girlfriend was in front of him making that glorious Pineapple Salad. It fits his character but it's just so weird for me, it could have been fixed if they made it more concrete by say showing him touching his wound, giving a nod and walking back to his place but they left it up to assumptions. I'll take my assumption as a fact and leave it at that. Other than that the show has been great so far, i'm glad Xard suggested it as it's a real joy ride.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am

^^
Would've required Major Fucker to admit that he is not hewn from granite and is therefore, clearly, an inadmissably unmanly course of action
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:^^
Would've required Major Fucker to admit that he is not hewn from granite and is therefore, clearly, an inadmissably unmanly course of action
It was pretty manly alright, but in the ironic haha sorta way.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Gundam 00 episode 18

I SWEAR TO GOD

THIS. FUCKING. GUY.

also fuck you Andrei, you shitstaine of a Hathaway character

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:So I've been watching through Gundam SEED for the first time and I have to say...I'm enjoying it a lot actually. Way more than I thought I would. I'm about 31 episodes into it now and I'm not seeing the supposed terribleness (Though I do hear some people say it's only SEED Destiny that's completely bad). Sure there are flaws in it (Good lord there are a lot of flashbacks, though some of the individual ones seem appropriate), and it does take quite a bit from older series (Namely the original and Gundam Wing from what I can tell so far), but I'm enjoying SEED's spin on those elements so far.

You just reached the point of no return.

View Original PostXard wrote:Nekomonogatari eps 1-2

Hello there, fire sisters

lel

gonna wait for all episodes to come out first

also, so much Macross talk, matte for me Onii-chan, bakas!

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Is there some derpy moment coming up that will ruin the series or something? XD

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 pm

It's the moment that marks the coming of Kira Jesus Yamato.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:also, so much Macross talk, matte for me Onii-chan, bakas!
Well you were taking too long so I took off without you :P

Return to “Old Stickies”