It's over TWELVE THOUSAND!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

It's over TWELVE THOUSAND!

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:31 pm

What, exactly, is Anno's deal with the number 12,000? They alert Shinji when Sahaquiel reaches 12,000 meters. Eva-02 has, to quote Asuka, "...twelve thousand plates of fortified armor!". When Eva-01 gets marked with the stigmata, it rises to a height of "12,000 meters and counting". Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems a bit odd that this number pops up on three separate occasions.

What does Anno like so much about this particular number?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: It's over TWELVE THOUSAND!

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:54 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:What, exactly, is Anno's deal with the number 12,000? They alert Shinji when Sahaquiel reaches 12,000 meters. Eva-02 has, to quote Asuka, "...twelve thousand plates of fortified armor!". When Eva-01 gets marked with the stigmata, it rises to a height of "12,000 meters and counting". Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems a bit odd that this number pops up on three separate occasions.

What does Anno like so much about this particular number?

Maybe it's another reference to Christianity? The Christian religions seem to use the number 12 fairly often as well:

Wikipedia wrote:The importance of 12 in Judaism and Christianity can be found in the Bible. The biblical Jacob had 12 sons, who were the progenitors of the Twelve Tribes of Israel, while the New Testament describes twelve apostles of Jesus; when Judas Iscariot was disgraced, a meeting was held (Acts) to add Matthias to complete the number twelve once more. (Today, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.)

The Book of Jude contains much numerical symbolism, and a lot of the numbers mentioned have 12 as a divisor. 12:1 mentions a woman—interpreted as the people of Israel, the Church or the Virgin Mary—wearing a crown of twelve stars (representing each of the twelve tribes of Israel). Furthermore, there are 12,000 people sealed from each of the twelve tribes of Israel, making a total of 144,000 (which is the square of 12 multiplied by a thousand).

In Orthodox Judaism, 12 signifies the age a girl matures (bat mitzvah).

There are 12 days of Christmas. The song Twelve Days of Christmas came from the traditional practice of extending Yuletide celebrations over the twelve days from Christmas day to the eve of Epiphany; the period of thirteen days including Epiphany is sometimes known as Christmastide. Thus Twelfth Night is another name for the twelfth day of Christmas or January 5 (the eve of Epiphany). Similarly, Eastern Orthodoxy observes 12 Great Feasts.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah, it's just good old 12 with extra zeroes, because 12 m of altitude or 12 armor plates make no sense.

It's not just Cristian mythology, lots of languages have extra words for "12-nesses" of things (like the English "dozen" and the almost identital German equivalent "dutzend")
Some mathematicians say it's simply a very practical number and would make a better base than 10 since you can evenly divide it through a lot more numbers.
With 10, dividing through three is a particular problematic issue, leading to the
1 = 0.9999999999.... dualism.

I don't think there's any meaning beyond "lol 12" to be found here, he needed to have them say some number that sounds big. When you want technobabble, you have to make the characters sprout numbers so it doesn't sound too vague. Any numbers.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 am

Don't forget Gunbuster.
SPOILER: Show
12,000 years later...

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:11 am

Wasn't it 14,000?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:45 pm

There were also 12 members of SEELE, like the 12 apostles.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Wasn't it 14,000?

You're confusing with the date:
SPOILER: Show
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:03 am

Oh, right, I derped.

Man, there was some serious stretching of the time dilation theory in this show.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Just discovered that they did something like this in Q as well, except they multiplied the number by 3.
Q  SPOILER: Show
Rotation rate of the Flywheel is at 36,000.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Maybe it sound better on TV? Multiples of 10,000 years are used in a lot of media. Perhaps 12,000 sounds better in Japanese?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”