Eva Unit Format(s) and Name Meaning Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Horns. Deep meaningful signifigance or another one of those "Hey it'll look cool, lets throw it in!" things?

Well, I guess it COULD be a coincidence that the four Evas on the "Adams Suspect List" just so happen to be the four Evas with long forehead horns...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 pm

It could be a little bit of both actually. Unit-01 always had a horn. That was a design choice to make it look like an Oni. I can imagine they gave the Mark-06 a horn because it was Seele's answer to Unit-01. Unit-13 is pretty much evil Unit-01. And then maybe they figured that it would work to give it to the transformed Mark-09. So one horned Eva's might have started out just bieng cool, then they decided to do something with it.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 pm

The horn similarity between the potential Adam's makes sense to me. I hope it's a reality.

Also, if these four are the prime suspects, we only have two Adams left for 4.0. I expect a mighty big showdown between Unit 01 & Eva 13.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I quickly watched some parts of the screener. Is it me or do we see Kaworu "leaving" (dressed in his casual cloth) when Mari removes eva 13's core?

Would it mean his soul was linked to that core?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:00 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I quickly watched some parts of the screener. Is it me or do we see Kaworu "leaving" (dressed in his casual cloth) when Mari remove mark 06's core?

Mari force-ejects Shinji's plug. (There are two in Eva-13, one for each pilot.) The weird flash of Kaworu in the school uniform appears as Shinji's plug is being jettisoned. The most logical implication I've seen is that is symbolizes the parting of the "kindred spirits".

It recalls, for me, Shinji and Yui at the end of EoE, where, when Shinji ejects his plug, we see Yui drifts down to the darkness of space, as Shinji floats up to Earth.

I think the idea that Kaworu has become spiritually bound to the Eva is an idea with merit, for various reasons.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Oh that was confusing, thank you. The quality is so bad that I thought she was in front of the eva, but she was in fact in her back. That makes sense.

Angel 13
Embryo

[Spoilers] New 2.0 connection to 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Angel 13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 am

I'm starting to think more about what Kaji delivered to Gendo in 2.0. In the briefcase, it was stated by Gendo that it was one of the last surviving Adams. Could this Adam be Eva-13 in the new Rebuild movie? Thoughts?
Kaworu Nagisa: Humans constantly feel pain in their hearts. Because the heart is so sensitive to pain, humans also feel that to live is to suffer.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:23 am

No dialogue like that in 2.X. Here's how it went:

Kaji:
Here is the promised item.
The lost number that was being kept as a spare.
The guidepost that will link the spirit with the divine.

Gendo:
Right. This will open the gates of Human Instrumentality.
The Key of Nebuchadnezzar.

Though it has been suggested that Gendo grew the Key of Nebuchadnezzar into Eva-13 in that big womb-like contraption.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Angel 13
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Angel 13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 am

If true, this would easily explain how Gendo was able to create Eva 13 over the last 14 years.
Kaworu Nagisa: Humans constantly feel pain in their hearts. Because the heart is so sensitive to pain, humans also feel that to live is to suffer.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mari force-ejects Shinji's plug. (There are two in Eva-13, one for each pilot.) The weird flash of Kaworu in the school uniform appears as Shinji's plug is being jettisoned. The most logical implication I've seen is that is symbolizes the parting of the "kindred spirits".

It recalls, for me, Shinji and Yui at the end of EoE, where, when Shinji ejects his plug, we see Yui drifts down to the darkness of space, as Shinji floats up to Earth.

I think the idea that Kaworu has become spiritually bound to the Eva is an idea with merit, for various reasons.

Kind of reminds me of the bookend Quantum!Rei at the end of EoE. Does it mean that Kaworu is alive (albeit in spiritual form) or is it meant to be a reflection of what Shinji has lost?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mari force-ejects Shinji's plug. (There are two in Eva-13, one for each pilot.) The weird flash of Kaworu in the school uniform appears as Shinji's plug is being jettisoned. The most logical implication I've seen is that is symbolizes the parting of the "kindred spirits".

I saw the situation more like this (although I could easily be wrong)

Kaworu says he is going to close the door of Guf. Mari notices even after his death the door is still open (being as Shinji is a backup mesure). After she ejects unit 13s plug thats when we see that flash of kaworu and impact ends. I see it as his soul which tried to close the door was trapped inside the plug and when Mari opened it he was able to escape unit 13 and close the door of guf hence the flash of him at the very moment the plug ejected

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 am

Kozar927: Eva-13 has two entry plugs, one for each pilot. Mari ejects only one, Shinji's. Kaworu's is still inside the Eva.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Kozar927: Eva-13 has two entry plugs, one for each pilot. Mari ejects only one, Shinji's. Kaworu's is still inside the Eva.

Oh I though the plugs rested in a big chamber that was open so they both could see each other. I guess the visuals in the cam rip are too bad for me to know what im seeing.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:39 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Oh I though the plugs rested in a big chamber that was open so they both could see each other. I guess the visuals in the cam rip are too bad for me to know what im seeing.

Actually, even in the camrip, you can see Shinji's plug eject from the left side of Eva-13's back (not the midline of the nape area, like is customary). The "glass wall" between the plugs is just an illusion created by the visual systems.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:00 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Actually, even in the camrip, you can see Shinji's plug eject from the left side of Eva-13's back (not the midline of the nape area, like is customary). The "glass wall" between the plugs is just an illusion created by the visual systems.

ahh thanks for clearing that up.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:19 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Image

Good catch.

While easy to dismiss as "just a cool design feature". We know Anno likes to play with recurring imagery or symbolism to hammer home a point or message, and the horn can be something meant to tie them together... As Adams? Yep, probably, and looking very likely at this stage.

Also, that Mark.09.

:drool:

I've actually got that pictured Mark.06 kit too. Need to get 'round to building it!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:12 pm

When I put that image together, I did manage to conveniently forget about these things:

...some of which visibly have forehead horns of their own. (These are speculated to be the same entities that are fought in the Final preview, as well; do you remember if those have horns, Blue?)

This is putting some weird thoughts in my head -- perhaps better saved for follow-up to the preexisting Impact Mechanics discussion, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

WereCrow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby WereCrow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:46 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:No dialogue like that in 2.X. Here's how it went:

Though it has been suggested that Gendo grew the Key of Nebuchadnezzar into Eva-13 in that big womb-like contraption.

On that topic; The Adam(or whatever) inside the key seems to be lacking a head as the nervous system terminates in the connecting piece to the string.
Unit .09 seems to be perfectly fine functioning without a head as well.

Was the head that was blow away by Mari a spare piece of zerogouki perhaps? Or completly cybernetic?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm

View Original PostWereCrow wrote:Was the head that was blow away by Mari a spare piece of zerogouki perhaps? Or completly cybernetic?

I dunno, but you can see in the trailers that the remaining stump is nice and pink.

Based on what's said in the movie, Mark.9's ability to function without a head has something to do with its capacity as an "Adams' Vessel". Now if we can just figure out what that phrase means, we'll be golden!

For my part, I'm guessing that Gendo hasn't actually used the Key of Nebuchadnezzar yet, and it's still in its case waiting for the time that he enacts his plans for real.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:29 pm

I cannot believe it took me this long to notice that Mark.9 was headless in that particular shot of the trailer and I've seen it so many times, I've lost count! Jeez, these aren't ordinary or standard EVAs by any stretch. Evangelion 3.0 almost seems to "cut ties" with the original NGE by adding something new and distinct, yet, also familiar. Basically, it's becoming somewhat of a different animal IMHO. I do hope there is indeed a connection between the "horned" EVAs. It's a concept I most definitely find intriguing and I hope, as many stated, it leads to a confrontation between EVA 01 and the "Imposter/Wannabe" (EVA 13).

:w00:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”