Eva Unit Format(s) and Name Meaning Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Also just for shits and gigs, was playing around with the scans from the theatrical program and put the head back on the Mark.09 with scythe, hehe:

SPOILER: Show
A possible reason why they never went with the blue paint scheme; the Mark.06 is a type of darkish/deep blue.

Mark.09 looks so much better with its head intact. Seriously, couldn't they've repaired it so that when its true form was revealed, the additional head would've just smashed/popped through Unit 00's traditional face. It would've probably had a more dramatic effect IMHO.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I guess this is the correct thread for this... it is something of a "format" issue...

Any thoughts on why Eva-13 and Mark.09 so closely resemble Unit-01 and Unit-00, respectively? Sure, they share the same (or similar-looking) pilots, but is that a good enough reason? From a crass marketing perspective, you'd think they'd want to give them both a unique design. If you purchase a Mark.09 figure, you're basically buying another Unit-00...

Speaking of which, I'm somewhat shocked that Rebuild is so resistant Unit-00's blue look. In this continuity, that armor has been refurbished twice, yet they won't go blue even when it's a completely different Eva.

Probably due to both Eva's missing. Unit 00 was eaten by Zeruel and Unit 01 is being used for the Wunder. So they might of had them designed like that so fans wouldnt miss them.

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:By the way, could Eva-13 and the Mark.09 have Fruits of Life? They never seem to be equipped with battery packs like Eva-02' and Eva-08 and never run out of power (shown when Eva-13 outlasts Eva-02' during their fight)

Add Eva Mk.06 to that list. I would assume the flight from the Moon to the Earth was not completed in less than 5 minutes...

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 am

View Original Postpalerider1911 wrote:Add Eva Mk.06 to that list. I would assume the flight from the Moon to the Earth was not completed in less than 5 minutes...

Yup. Also, even if it had only 5 minutes battery time to go to the earth, it would have had to crash earth like a meteorite to make in time.(Though, i think even if it would have done that.....) We don't know how long it took Mark.06 to reach Geofront from the moon.......(Maybe days/months?)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Yup. Also, even if it had only 5 minutes battery time to go to the earth, it would have had to crash earth like a meteorite to make in time.(Though, i think even if it would have done that.....) We don't know how long it took Mark.06 to reach Geofront from the moon.......(Maybe days/months?)

We see Kaworu putting on his plugsuit after Zeruel shows up, and from that point until the movie ends, is roughly 20 real-time minutes.

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:46 am

I don't really know where to put this, but someone brought up the Whore of Babylon (as in the book Revelation) somewhere when discussing 01's color scheme during its Awakening. So I went and read most of Revelation and it also talks about horns:

[3] So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.
[12] And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.
[13] These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.

So, horns represent Kings that have not yet received a kingdom. It's safe to say Eva Units with horns are Adams, then. And the Adams will eventually recombine to form the "Beast", which is described like this:

[8] The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
[10] And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
[11] And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

So it is dead, but will come back eventually? Adam? Lilith? (The latter seems more likely, as she is definitely dead and in a "bottomless pit" (Dogma).

Not sure what to make of the kings though. Gendo was referred to as one, so he might be the one that "is". But who are the five that have fallen? Who is the last one who will only last a short time? Shinji?

Rebuild seems quite keen on that book. Might search for other parallels.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Yup. Also, even if it had only 5 minutes battery time to go to the earth, it would have had to crash earth like a meteorite to make in time.(Though, i think even if it would have done that.....) We don't know how long it took Mark.06 to reach Geofront from the moon.......(Maybe days/months?)

Shinji just enter the eva and 2 minutes later, his 5 minutes plus emergency is out,so the movie skipped stuff,plus kaworu may have come like a bullet, with at field protecting him from reentry, he was clearly desacelerating, and the crew reaction from eva 01 being lanced to kaworu showing up was less then a minute.
ANATA BAKA !?

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Shinji just enter the eva and 2 minutes later, his 5 minutes plus emergency is out,so the movie skipped stuff,plus kaworu may have come like a bullet, with at field protecting him from reentry, he was clearly desacelerating, and the crew reaction from eva 01 being lanced to kaworu showing up was less then a minute.

Both the Mk.09 and Eva 13 are able to function without the need of some external power source, or batteries. With Mk.06 also having the "Mark" designation, and being able to fly, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that it would have the same time constraints [as far as energy is concerned] as the "Unit" designated Evas. [Unit-02' and Unit-08.]

So arguing that Mk.06 flew from the moon base to Earth at a really high speed isn't necessary. Also keep in mind that the angle of reentry was an issue for Asuka+Unit-02' when they were recovering Unit-01 from orbit, so I don't know that an AT Field could protect Mk.06 from reentry at a speed faster than free-fall [as you said "like a bullet"].

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 am

Holy.......No wonder why Kaworu is called "The space Jesus."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [SPOILERS] The Mark. Evangelions

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:29 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:The Mk.06 and Mk.09 lack mouths.

06 has an articulated jaw piece, complete with red interlocking "teeth" if the models are to be believed, directly implying that there's a mouth that can open. As for 09, its mouth is shown in the film; it crushes 02's head with it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:06 has an articulated jaw piece, complete with red interlocking "teeth" if the models are to be believed, directly implying that there's a mouth that can open. As for 09, its mouth is shown in the film; it crushes 02's head with it.

In regards to Mark.09, I believe they're talking about the perceived "mechanical" head that eventually gets blown up by Unit-08 (or more specifically, by Mari in said Unit), although it clearly shows its head is made organic material (we see blood and stuff). Despite being similar, Unit-00 and Mark.09 do differentiate when it comes to the jaws. In the case of the later Eva, it lacks the jaw piece that is usually seen for the former.

:wink:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:In regards to Mark.09, I believe they're talking about the perceived "mechanical" head that eventually gets blown up by Unit-08

In the context of Lunchbox's golem idea, it shouldn't matter "which" 09 is being referenced.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:In the context of Lunchbox's golem idea, it shouldn't matter "which" 09 is being referenced.

Actually, it is rather important. I was referring to the 09 head that got destroyed; the head that appears in the fight with 02 is something different. The theory here would be that the Mk.09 acquires a soul from an unknown source. As to your comment about the Mk.06, I don't have a model of it. Thank you for correcting me.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:The theory here would be that the Mk.09 acquires a soul from an unknown source.

Isn't that introducing an additional, unnecessary layer of complexity to what's already a clusterfuck?

Here's a response to your Adams' Vessel thread.

The context in which Mari uses the term -- as a response to Mark.09 functioning without a head -- would seem to imply that Mark.09 is beyond normal Eva capacities. What could accomplish this, while still looking like an Eva? An Adams that's been directly modified, as opposed to a clone or something. But the "vessel" part implies that the soul is missing, e.g. the phrase "an empty vessel", otherwise simply calling it an "Adams" should suffice. Though how Mari could know about the soul's status, I have no idea.

Complicating matters here is that Mari implies that Rei Q is in danger of becoming ?the? Adam's Vessel (i.e., fusing with Mark.09??) if she doesn't abandon the unit. This line hasn't been addressed much, probably because it's far too much WTF for anyone to handle and it's easier to just ignore it. :devil:

01:10:55 {Mari} Hey, Ms. Sucks To Be Seele's Pilot,
01:10:58 {Mari} you can hear me, right?
01:11:00 {Mari} Don't you think you should get out before you turn into an* Adams' Vessel?
01:11:04 {Rei} No. That is not the order I received.

* [Not completely comfortable with "an", since it implies that Rei would become a separate Adams' Vessel, and I'm not sure that's what they're going for. Then, I can't aggressively vouch for "the" either.]

It's worth noting that Eva-13 is NOT called an Adams' Vessel, despite this phrase being used insistently with Mark.09. It's called a surviving Adams instead. This raises the question of what precisely is different between the two. I want to say "Maybe 13 has a soul, and hence isn't an empty vessel", but the damned thing doesn't generate an A.T. Field, so can that really be it?

And on the other foot, if being an Adams' Vessel means no soul, that should mean that 09 can't generate an ATF either, but, if so, they never draw any attention to this like they do with 13.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 pm

@Reichu: I'm just curious, having learned a few languages myself, what is it with the Japanese language that seems (judging by the posts I've seen in the translation thread and here and there) so difficult to translate? don't they have proper definite and indefinite articles like everybody else? :tongue:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I think I liked this business better before 3.0 came out and I had to start analyzing two continuums at the same time.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:what is it with the Japanese language that seems so difficult to translate? don't they have proper definite and indefinite articles like everybody else? :tongue:

For one thing, Japanese leaves out a lot of the grammatical information we'd normally expect, and just implies it instead. I guess if you're used to communicating that way, it's not a big deal, but when you're accustomed to the usual application of pronouns, articles, etc., it can be hard to find one's feet. And, nope, there is nothing in Japanese equivalent to "a/the". (I've heard that something similar can be implied depending on whether a subject is marked with wa or ga, but if so that's still of limited usefulness, since not all nouns are subjects...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:55 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:For one thing, Japanese leaves out a lot of the grammatical information we'd normally expect, and just implies it instead. I guess if you're used to communicating that way, it's not a big deal, but when you're accustomed to the usual application of pronouns, articles, etc., it can be hard to find one's feet. And, nope, there is nothing in Japanese equivalent to "a/the". (I've heard that something similar can be implied depending on whether a subject is marked with wa or ga, but if so that's still of limited usefulness, since not all nouns are subjects...)
I'm used to implied pronouns, in both Portuguese and Spanish it's normal to omit personal pronouns like "I", "You", "He", etc... because you can simply infer them from the verb's conjugation.

Maybe I can help with a little 'ol thinking outside the box? of course if you care to tell me what the moon runes actually say to you. :lol:

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I want to say "Maybe 13 has a soul, and hence isn't an empty vessel", but the damned thing doesn't generate an A.T. Field, so can that really be it?

Does/do Adams have to have an AT-field?
NGE's Adam only used an anti-A.T. field, so why would this/these Adams be any different?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:18 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Does/do Adams have to have an AT-field?
NGE's Adam only used an anti-A.T. field, so why would this/these Adams be any different?

Anything with a soul in NGE has an A.T. Field as well. Adam had a soul, hence she had an A.T. Field.

NME hasn't done any infodumps on souls and A.T. Fields yet, though with the introduction of the "image collapse" mechanism (Angels turn into goo when their A.T. Fields collapse upon death), along with Eva-01's A.T. Field originating from both the core (Yui) and entry plug (aka the "vessel of a soul", containing Shinji), the connection between soul and A.T. Field is still implied.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”