Shinji and fuyutsuki interactions

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pioneer
Embryo

Shinji and fuyutsuki interactions

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:24 pm

do they ever interact? does fuyutsuki interact with anyone besides gendo and seele? i know there's the episode where he sees the bridge bunnies on the train, but other than that, does he talk to anyone?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

They don't interact with each other in the series proper.

Supplemental stuff......well........that's a whole other story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY

Actually the only time i can remember that comes close is when Fuyutsuki reprimands Shinji and Asuka in ep. 9 after the disastrous first battle, but that's it.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Actually the only time i can remember that comes close is when Fuyutsuki reprimands Shinji and Asuka in ep. 9 after the disastrous first battle, but that's it.

This is the only instance I can recall as well, other than some meta-sequences in EoTV. I don't think Shinji ever actually acknowledges Fuyutsuki's existence in the series; a shame when considering Fuyutsuki's unique relationship with the Ikari family. A conversation between these two would be great.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:47 am

It's interesting because when Shinji wants to know about his father and asks Kaji about it, Kaji even says something along the lines of "Fuyutsuki is the one who knows your father" but Shinji doesn't bother following up on this.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:33 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:It's interesting because when Shinji wants to know about his father and asks Kaji about it, Kaji even says something along the lines of "Fuyutsuki is the one who knows your father" but Shinji doesn't bother following up on this.

This to me kinda stuck out as one of the biggest missed opportunities in the series and a scene that I always wanted to see, because it would shed more light on Fuyutsuki's character, his relationship/thoughts about Shinji, etc. It would maybe have provided Shinji with the one of the best people he could have connected with, because honestly Fuyutsuki is one of the most level-headed, characters in the series.

:Dons Fanwanking cap:

maybe Fuyutsuki avoided interacting with Shinji because he was living proof that the woman he loved preferred another man? I still think that it couldn't have hurt for Anno to include a scene with them interacting on some level, but who knows?

The same could also be said of the Bridge Bunnies having little to no contact with the pilots at all. There's a reason why these kinds of interaction scenes are included in so much fanfiction out there (because they're virtually non-existant in canon)....and also why they weren't included in the series. I can't say I know for sure what Anno was thinking, but taking my best guess, I'd say he did it deliberately to give Shinji/Asuka/Rei/etc. more of a sense of isolation and loneliness which would make their mental breakdowns more understandable.

Could he have given at least one bridge bunny or Fuyutsuki a scene with one of the pilots in some sort of pre-friendship conversation that would shed more light on their characters? Sure.

Could he have developed a friendship between them? Maybe. But for the series to still end the same way, that friendship would have to have been destroyed or Hyuga/Maya/Aoba/Fuyutsuki, whoever it was with, get killed in an attack or something.

Basically, for the series to end the way that it did, Shinji had to have pretty much no lifelines left, thus Anno just decided to give him as few as possible while the series ran its course.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 am

This made me thinking. What if....WHAT IF Fuyutsuki actually never existed or was long dead and was just a sad projection of Gendo's imagination. Kind of like an imaginary friend created from his repressed lone subconsciousness.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:36 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:This made me thinking. What if....WHAT IF Fuyutsuki actually never existed or was long dead and was just a sad projection of Gendo's imagination. Kind of like an imaginary friend created from his repressed lone subconsciousness.

Sarcasm yes?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:38 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:This made me thinking. What if....WHAT IF Fuyutsuki actually never existed or was long dead and was just a sad projection of Gendo's imagination. Kind of like an imaginary friend created from his repressed lone subconsciousness.

We see Fuyutsuki interact with people besides Gendou, namely Kaji and Seele, so I don't see where you're drawing this from. Unless you are indeed being sarcastic as Lurkis suggests.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Yeah, you guys still need to stick around a bit longer :P

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 am

I have a feeling this one might have been deliberately avoided by Anno. However, the reasons for it are vague at best and could range anywhere from run time considerations to some obscure subtext that someone has probably already fanwanked.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Shinji and fuyutsuki interactions

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:27 am

View Original Postpioneer wrote:do they ever interact? does fuyutsuki interact with anyone besides gendo and seele? i know there's the episode where he sees the bridge bunnies on the train, but other than that, does he talk to anyone?

I don't think that's as weird as the fact that Gendo and Asuka never interact once in the entire series.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:29 pm

It's also that while Kaji is a friend of his guardian's, and Rei is his coworker and classmate, Shinji has no pretext on which to speak to Fuyutsuki/question him about his father.
They don't really have much direct work with each other.

So Shinji would have to go and aproach that stern looking boss dude, and ask him an uncomfortable question. Doesn't sound like something Shinji would do.

That the children and the bridge bunnies or Fuyutsuki and the bridge bunnies have no scenes together isn't completely true - episode 11.
Maya and Aoba apparently admire him.

The children's reactions when "Oh, it's Hyuuga!" - It makes sense that they'd be on friendly terms with him since he's Misato's aide, so if they have direct contact with one of them, it's probably him.

Also, episode 12: "We can't pack up and flee when the Children are risking their lives!"

The truth is, why should they really interact much aside from being coworkers? Ultimately, both the Bridge Bunnies and Fuyutsuki are only supporting cast who exist solely so that Ritsuko, Misato and Gendo have someone to talk to.
That they even look like there's more interesting stories to tell about them speaks for the show's overall quality, I guess.

Also, this is a setting chock full with conspiracies, men behing the men and there's various layers of people knowing specific things... and those on the "lower" layers are manipulated by the higher ones without really seeing them.
there's the civilians like, say, Hikari, clever civilians who are good with Computers like Kensuke, the children, the normal NERV personel, and then there's the higher ups and they're all keeping secrets from each other.
Asuka never speaks to Gendo because she's just a mook in the big sceme of things, just like Shinji never meets Keel.
The protagonist never meets, never even learns of the existence of the main antagonist.
Let that sink in.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Shinji has no pretext on which to speak to Fuyutsuki/question him about his father.

Except if he had listened to Kaji as I said above.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That the children and the bridge bunnies or Fuyutsuki and the bridge bunnies have no scenes together isn't completely true - episode 11.
Maya and Aoba apparently admire him.

They didn't talk to him though.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:27 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:They didn't talk to him though.

There's a whole (4-person) conversation on the train.

SPOILER: Show
Episode 11 wrote:RITSUKO:
Hello, Vice Commander. Good morning, Sir.

IBUKI & AOBA:
Good morning, Sir!

FUYUTSUKI:
Morning.

RITSUKO:
You're quite early today.

FUYUTSUKI:
Well, I have to go up top in Ikari's place.

RITSUKO:
I see. Isn't today the City Council's regular meeting?

FUYUTSUKI:
It's a pointless job. Ikari has always thrust the sundry tasks onto me.
Without the Magi, I'd be lost.

RITSUKO:
Speaking of which, the city elections are approaching up there, right?

FUYUTSUKI:
The City Council is merely a shell.
The municipal government, after all, is in fact run by the Magi.

IBUKI:
The Magi? You mean the three supercomputers?

FUYUTSUKI:
Government by majority decision of three different computers.
It's a system that is properly in line with the fundamentals of democracy.

IBUKI:
And the council just obeys their decisions?

FUYUTSUKI:
It's a most efficient form of government.

IBUKI:
That's a city of science for you.
It's really an era where science reigns supreme.

AOBA:
Talk about an old-fashioned line.

FUYUTSUKI:
Come to think of it, you're running an experiment on Unit 00, aren't you?

RITSUKO:
Yes, we're going to run the second prolonged activation test at 10:30.

FUYUTSUKI:
I'm looking forward to good news.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pioneer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pioneer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:31 pm

so i already knew about the train conversation. but, does fuyu ever talk directly to Misato? i'm not sure tbh

since fuyutsuki was one of the only people who presumably knew about gendo's real plans, i never really noticed that his role is actually pretty minimal.

regarding Asuka and gendo: it makes sense that gendo doesnt care at all about the pilots. moreover, the only times he talks to Misato are when he is giving her orders. ritsuko was essential for maintaining Rei, so that's why he would have any kind of relationship with her.

given aforementioned the lack of interactions in eva, it works that the protagonist never knows the antagonist. however, how well does seele know Shinji? i'm not sure what the consensus is on seele's involvement in Shinji's manipulation.

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The protagonist never meets, never even learns of the existence of the main antagonist.
Let that sink in.

I don't mean to fork the thread and all, but is it totally fair to call Keel the "main antagonist" of the series? I mean, obviously he's the primary villain in an objective sense. But literary analysis usually defines the antagonist with respect to the protagonist. If Shinji is the protagonist, then Gendo is the primary antagonist for all intents and purposes. (One could also make a credible claim that Shinji is his own antagonist, of a sort).

This is similar to how, in the first two Star Wars films, Darth Vader is clearly the antagonist -- even though we learn that the Emperor is directing him from behind the scenes.

It's certainly possible to have a story in which protagonist and antagonist never interact (or in which the antagonist isn't a person at all, so much as a force or an idea). But the antagonist, by definition, must be working at opposition to the protagonist's goals and personal journey. At best, we can say that Keel's agenda is tangentially opposed to Shinji's -- but, for the most part, Keel and Shinji never really come into conflict.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The protagonist never meets, never even learns of the existence of the main antagonist.
Let that sink in.

That's another element of the whole deconstruction thing, right?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There's a whole (4-person) conversation on the train.

Oh I forgot about that scene!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 pm

FUYUTSUKI:
Government by majority decision of three different computers.
It's a system that is properly in line with the fundamentals of democracy.

I have always laughed at this line. Now I wonder... Was Fuyutsuki being sarcastic?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I have always laughed at this line. Now I wonder... Was Fuyutsuki being sarcastic?

Fuyutsuki's not allowed to believe in a three-[s]party[/s]computer system?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”