Star Trek Into Darkness

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Star Trek Into Darkness

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:The thing I'm instantly finding a bit baffling is that in the last film, the fleet (or at least a very large portion of it) was wiped out. And yet again they're doing that here, too? Is it not possible to make an important story of weight for these guys without having to make a scene of newly minted spacejunkyard and thousands upon thousands of dead crewmen? Honestly, it seems a bit much to be doing that exact thing again. But anyway that's just my first thoughts.

Apparently, entire fleets of starships have become the definition of "Red-shirts" in the Star Trek Fandom. :rolleyes:

Although I'm a huge fan of the original universe, I can't help but be excited about the next installment. Whether or not it's an homage to the originals by revamping and existing element (such as the Eugenic Wars) or creating an entirely new element, I'm game.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:40 am

I read on some website, ScreenRant or /Film a while back that the antagonist was gonna be Gary Mitchell, from the second pilot......but he's not nearly enough of an iconic villian that i'd expect them to bring back.

However I'd much rather prefer the villain be Mitchell rather than Khan.

TWOK is not a perfect film per se, but it's a perfect STAR TREK film. it also has the most balls of any entry in the series, killing off Spock an iconic and beloved character supposedly for real when it was released, and some of the best character development, emotional moments, battles scenes and music of the series. If they really are bringing back Khan they're just shooting themselves in the foot by inviting comparison to the franchise's best film. Which is what Nemesis tried to do in a different way and failed in almost every way possible.

IF Khan is the villain, they're gonna have to pull off some kind of genius-level screenwriting to make it not feel overshadowed.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 am

have you seen the those three frames of the film that they showed on Conan O'Brien?
Voluntary Illusion.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 am

haha, that was the most troll-tastic "preview" i've seen since Anno & co. busted out that psychedelic piano.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

Seems that the teaser trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness can now be shown. What do I think about the trailer itself, if you do want to see it before showing The Hobbit in theaters? To sum up: HOLY SH*T! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME, YEAAAAAHHH! (wild shooting)

... sorry... that would be me in guilty-pleasure geek mode. But it's just the trailer. Don't get too hyped... like I did.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 pm

I like the visuals of the trailer, primarily those that indicate a good portion of it will take place on earth.

Enterprise going all Red October? Interesting that they never did this before....

Although my one main gripe is how the plot seems so incredibly cliche for the series: Pissed off dude wants to get revenge. When you boil all of the films down to their most basic plot element, you get this:

I: Stop a mechanical lifeform from destroying Earth
II: Pissed off superhuman wants to get revenge
III: Return to Genesis and find Spock
IV: Stop a probe from destroying civilization
V: Find God....... :facepalm:
VI: Unravel the mystery of a political assassination.
Generations: Stop madman from destroying a civilization so he can snort some coke and get a fix.
First Contact: Prevent the Borg from assimilating Earth.
Insurrection: Save an alien race being taken advantage of.
Nemesis: Pissed off clone of Picard wants to get revenge.
Star Trek (2009): Pissed off Romulan wants to get revenge.

See what I mean? I mean, I still think that the movie will probably be good, but come on, can't they come up with a plot that HASN'T been done to death in the series already?

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 am

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

I like the look of this primarily because it appears to have little in common (visually speaking) with the other major science-fiction flicks we've gotten in the last two to three years.

Seeing how they arrive at having to hide the Enterprise in the bay is going to be a treat. As for the 'VENGEANCE' fellow... as long as he is an original character who is motivated by something we haven't seen in the franchise before, it'll be a little easier to look beyond its appearance as another 'revenge' film in the franchise.
Voluntary Illusion.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 am

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:51 am

I want to be excited for this film, but there's no way I can even glance at the name "Benedict Cumberbatch" without bursting into a fit of gigglPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:35 am

View Original Postchee wrote:I want to be excited for this film, but there's no way I can even glance at the name "Benedict Cumberbatch" without bursting into a fit of gigglPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Benedict Cumberbatch

Cumberbatch
Cum batch :shinji_blush:

:freud:

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 am

View Original Postchee wrote:"Benedict Cumberbatch"

well if that isn't a name that came straight from a census list
Voluntary Illusion.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am

Oh dear, now we have to deal with Sherlock fangirls...

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am

villain identity  SPOILER: Show
Cumberbatch's character confirmed for named "John Harrison". still got my money on his being a Gary Mitchell clone though.

although as i read this i find that blonde from the trailer is confirmed for Carol Marcus. oh boy oh boy i sure love pasty Englishmen playing Ricardo Montalban
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Cumberbatch is playing Khan. Trust me.

Also, the Enterprise is a spaceship... designed for space only.... space is sans atmosphere.... the Enterprise should crumble under the pressure of an atmosphere. Let alone the pressure of being submerged underwater.

It's whatever. Should be a fun movie.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:53 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:maybe what they're working on is setting up the Eugenics War thing from the beginning, or something?

I think this is extremely plausible.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:35 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:But yeah if the character's name isn't Khan, then he's not Khan... maybe what they're working on is setting up the Eugenics War thing from the beginning, or something?

It'd have to be a new Eugenics War, as the timeline change doesn't remove the old one. Or the Enterprise series, in case anyone still remembers it.
Voluntary Illusion.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:56 pm

The problem with using Khan as a villian is that there will be comparisons to the Wrath of Khan, considered by many Star Trek fans as the best of the films. Into Darkness might not be able to stand on its own if they go down this path.

Return to “Film and Video”