Gendo in 3.0 and beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:The presence of the updated Nerv logo on the Nemesis Series guarding Shinji in space.

SPOILER: Show
ImageImage

these are from the camrip, I was wondering if it was indeed the nerv logo, has this been confirmed by anyone who's seen the movie in better quality??

They kind of look like the old Nerv logo...??

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 am

Yes, those were the images I was thinking of. We don't have any better-res images at the moment though. But considering that Nerv's Nemesis Units were protecting the tesseract and they actually had one planted ON the tesseract (which Asuka and the rest had no knowledge of) as well as the logos, I think it's safe to say that Nerv was behind launching Eva-01 into space, or at least supported its exile.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:it's safe to say that Nerv was behind launching Eva-01 into space, or at least supported its exile.
what remains a mystery is if unit-01 is still impaled by the lance or was it removed? if it was removed wouldn't it unfreeze unit-01 and continue 3I?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:43 pm

If the lance is still impaling the Eva, Unit-01 has found some way of reactivating despite that. Asuka, if she isn't just acting out, seems to know that too.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 am

View Original PostK40s wrote:if it was removed wouldn't it unfreeze unit-01 and continue 3I?

I doubt that. I think of it a bit like casting a spell. You get interrupted you need to start from the beginning, and your reagents are already consumed so you need to get more (in this case a highly emotional 14 year old boy in the pilot seat).

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:14 am

It's fun to think that Unit-01 is out of mana and Shinji is the potion.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:It's fun to think that Unit-01 is out of mana and Shinji is the potion.

Purple Evangelion needs Shinji badly![/spoiler]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:It's fun to think that Unit-01 is out of mana and Shinji is the potion.

I had a terrible vision of Evangelion as a JRPG with Eva-01 as the main protagonist....

Is it me or could Gendo be cracking up a bit after 3I and repeated Rei cloning? During 3.0 he actually starts talking to Lilith's severed GNR head, despite it bearing only a physical resemblance to Yui (as opposed to when he was talking to Eva-01 in 2.0, as Eva-01 actually is Yui). Is he slowly going insane from the events of post-3I, or is has he always been like this and it just wasn't as evident before?

I'm also unsure why Gendo let Eva-01 and Yui's soul fall into Wille's hands. Possibly he'll try to get it back in 4.0 with his green MP Evas?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I'm also unsure why Gendo let Eva-01 and Yui's soul fall into Wille's hands. Possibly he'll try to get it back in 4.0 with his green MP Evas?
I think they answered this:

00:32:22 {Ritsuko} The fact he was taken in priority over Eva-01
00:32:25 {Ritsuko} means he still has potential as a trigger!
00:32:27 {Ritsuko} Misato! Use the DSS Choker!
00:32:44 {Ritsuko} Mission directive from Executive Officer.
00:32:46 {Ritsuko} Pursuit unnecessary.
00:32:47 {Ritsuko} All personnel, resume emergency damage control and camouflage operations.

01:20:46 {Ritsuko} The Adams' Vessel... Wunder's original master!
01:20:48 {Ritsuko} It intends to take the ship's controls back from Eva-01!
Talking about Mark.09

01:27:33 {Fuyutsuki} What a nightmare.
01:27:35 {Fuyutsuki} Nearly all went as Seele intended.
01:27:38 {Gendo} But not only was Seele's boy eliminated, the path was forged for Eva-13's Awakening.
01:27:46 {Gendo} Captain Katsuragi's actions are within predictions, as well.
01:27:49 {Gendo} This will do for now.
Their objective seemed to awaken eva-13, not recover unit-01, and Misato's actions (probably including the rescuing of unit-01 and using it to power the wunder) were according to plan :gendo:

Maybe Gendo's scenario involves unit-01 and eva-13, both awakened.

Güf Trüp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Güf Trüp » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Rebuild Gendo seems to be ridiculously skilled in planning ahead and thinking on his feet, even more so than in the original, considering his plans involve predicting what his son will do in his current emotional state.
That also brings me to my question: Did Gendo know that Kaworu would stop 4th Impact? Almost definitely, right? He knew that Shinji would bond with him so that he would prevent 4th Impact from finishing, in the same way that he had Shinji bond with Rei so that he would start 3rd Impact?
Or does he just always say "The plan is entering it's final stages... Yui..." to look cool in front of Fuyutsuki?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:38 am

View Original PostGüf Trüp wrote:Rebuild Gendo seems to be ridiculously skilled in planning ahead and thinking on his feet, even more so than in the original, considering his plans involve predicting what his son will do in his current emotional state.
That also brings me to my question: Did Gendo know that Kaworu would stop 4th Impact? Almost definitely, right? He knew that Shinji would bond with him so that he would prevent 4th Impact from finishing, in the same way that he had Shinji bond with Rei so that he would start 3rd Impact?
Or does he just always say "The plan is entering it's final stages... Yui..." to look cool in front of Fuyutsuki?

Yea, he definitely knows how Shinji would react in certain situations, which is scary when you think about it, and bonding with Rei and Kaworu was necessary for these impacts. (NGE Gendo's plans were never this accurate.) Also, he's a lot crazier when it comes to his plans, i mean OVER 20 years of planning just to see his wife again, and that involves ending the world almost twice, making his son and the world suffer.

Also, at the end of 2.0 Gendo's "first stage" plan was completed when Shinji rescued Rei. (I think he knew that kaworu was going to stop 3rd impact) I remember in 3.0 Kozo said to Shinji that merging Rei with Unit-01 was according to his plan too, and i think he knew 4th impact was going to be stopped as well. Getting SEELE out of the way and tricking them was his plan also, and causing 4th impact was only to get that gigantic "screw" out of the Geofront for his final plan, and it seems that his final plan involves using key to nebuchadnezzar, Unit-13, unit-01 and that "screw". ( side-note: Maybe Gendo got his hands onto Dead Sea Scroll which can predict future events,( i think...) and that's how he knew everything from the start)

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:48 am

View Original PostGüf Trüp wrote:Rebuild Gendo seems to be ridiculously skilled in planning ahead and thinking on his feet, even more so than in the original, considering his plans involve predicting what his son will do in his current emotional state.

More importantly,what is Fuyutsuki role anyway ? we are never told what he actually do besides standing next to gendo and blabling stuff like he knows what is going on to feed the audience with exposition.
What does he do at nerv anyway ?

i think this deserves a thread on his own
ANATA BAKA !?

lesmiserables
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lesmiserables » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 pm

I had an idea regarding Gendo: He's going to sacrifice himself.

Why? Kaworu calls Gendo "King of the Lilin". It reminds me of a bible account in Mathew (or Mark?) where Pilot refers to Jesus as "King of the Jews". We all know how Anno likes his bible references. In relation Fuyutsuki mentions Gendo's sacrifices and hints at the sacrifices he's going to make.

Just an idea! This topic seems to have more direction than the Father/King thread so hopefully it still fits here.

(Also it's been a while since I've been here; it's nice be cruising around again)
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:38 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:( side-note: Maybe Gendo got his hands onto Dead Sea Scroll which can predict future events,( i think...) and that's how he knew everything from the start)
If it's the case, it would be nice if one day us viewers had the occasion to see what's written in these damned scrolls, because the more time passes and the more I have the impression that besides being an Hitchhiker's Guide to the Angels, Spears, Impacts and Everything Else, it's a Death Note which grant its owner Light Yagami-levels of planning bordering on the supernatural!

Great now I have the mental image of Q!Gendo doing the dramatic potato chips scene! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 pm

View Original Postlesmiserables wrote:I had an idea regarding Gendo: He's going to sacrifice himself.

Why? Kaworu calls Gendo "King of the Lilin". It reminds me of a bible account in Mathew (or Mark?) where Pilot refers to Jesus as "King of the Jews". We all know how Anno likes his bible references. In relation Fuyutsuki mentions Gendo's sacrifices and hints at the sacrifices he's going to make.

If this is true, then it could kinda explain why Eva-13 doesn't have "Mark" on it's name.(It's Shinji's unit and he's a special case) Rei, and Kaworu are subordinates of the king Gendo :lol: because they both have Mark.Units.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:17 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:If this is true, then it could kinda explain why Eva-13 doesn't have "Mark" on it's name.(It's Shinji's unit and he's a special case) Rei, and Kaworu are subordinates of the king Gendo :lol: because they both have Mark.Units.
That would be kinda odd, seeing how the Mark.Units seemed more powerful than the EVA Units.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet......
But....Ummmm......Under Gendo's uberpimp (sun)glasses his eyes are covered with some grey, leather type of stuff..... :cringe:
(And no, it's not shadow)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am

Picture?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:20 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Picture?

Can't get the picture (Way too slow/crappy computer....)
But look and pause the scene where Kozo and Gendo are talking about "Seele still maintaining their silence." (The scene right after Shinji sees Rei naked and all)
There the camera zooms to Gendo's face, and shows the grey leather kind of stuff covering his eyes. (under his pimp glasses)

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned yet......
But....Ummmm......Under Gendo's uberpimp (sun)glasses his eyes are covered with some grey, leather type of stuff..... :cringe:
(And no, it's not shadow)
You mean similar to the eye-cover they placed on Mark.06 when they were installing the helmet on the moon?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”