DSS Choker

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Weird even for Rebuild.

We've turned the Geofront into a giant grail, thought that Mari was as old as Yui, thought that Mari was fucking Gendo, decided that the FOIs were every single person living in Tokyo-3, and we're just getting weird now?!

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:04 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:We've turned the Geofront into a giant grail, thought that Mari was as old as Yui, thought that Mari was fucking Gendo, decided that the FOIs were every single person living in Tokyo-3, and we're just getting weird now?!

This was the last straw. We're officially into craycray territory. Errbody prep your tin foil!
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:14 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:This was the last straw. We're officially into craycray territory. Errbody prep your tin foil!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:We've turned the Geofront into a giant grail, thought that Mari was as old as Yui, thought that Mari was fucking Gendo, decided that the FOIs were every single person living in Tokyo-3, and we're just getting weird now?!

Don't forget the one where we thought that Mari was Shinji and Asuka's daughter from an alternative timeline or even crazier, when we thought that Rebuild would be happy! :lol:

More seriously, on purely factual observation, Mark.09's attack of the Wunder relied on so many strokes of luck that I find it simply impossible that Gendo didn't had an ace in the hole, counting the stroke of pure luck if the whole operation was purely improvised :

1/ Mark.09 managed to find on the first try the room where Shinji was, just with a "telepathically" call that he answered by a very helpful "I'm here!"...

2/ then it punched at random at the hull to have access to the interrogation room without accidentally crushing Shinji in the process

3/ and on top of that, it appeared at the exact moment where it would confuse Shinji the more and made him think that Misato can't be trusted : just after she told him that "Rei doesn't exist anymore", but before she had the time to explain what exactly she meant by that(that Rei is absorbed inside EVA-01, and thus doesn't "exist" in their plan of existence anymore), thus making Shinji willingly follow Mark.09

4/ and Gendo bet that Misato didn't installed on Shinji a device to restrain or neutralize him on the spot and if she did, bet that she wouldn't had the guts to use it, after years without seeing each other and a decade and half living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland...

That makes a lot of strokes of luck don't you think, too much for it be believable when you stop thinking about it for a minute, and we're talking about Gendo Ikari, the man that spent the decade after Yui's disappearance molding Shinji and Rei into persons that would be naturally get closer to one each other to awake EVA-01 and bid his time during more than a decade with SEELE literally breathing on his neck to trick them and Kaworu into mass suicide, that guy never leave anything to chance, or if he had to do it, he will do everything to maximize his chances that the outcome is one that will benefit his plans.

That's why I think that there was something in the interrogation room that let Gendo have some view and control over the situation, be it that he hacked into the Wunder's Magi and was monitoring the whole briefing and/or hacked the DSS Choker itself and used it to tack Shinji's precise location and maybe used some unknown option to make it synchronize with his brain and telepathically talk to him, and/or had remote control over the DSS Trigger to prevent Misato to blow up his head, all of this be it thanks to Mark.09 being the Wunder's "original master", madz hak computer skilz or because Yui is on Gendo' side and give him access to the ship's systems.
Or for the detonation part it could be simply that Gendo bet that Yui, being now the control system of the Wunder, would see that Misato will kill her son and will use her control over the ship's system to cancel the detonation signal if Misato presses the button.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 pm

View Original PostLiLi wrote:Where? Could you point me to the scene please?
Either way, I think the collar is not given as the reason he cannot synch with Eva 01. It seems their analysis showed that his synch ratio has dropped to Zero.

Have 1080p copy of 3.33
YW

Still waiting on Evangelion Final...

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 pm

^ You, sir, have just proven one of the biggest conspiracy theories about that choker. Holy fucknuggets. :jawdrop:

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:19 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:^ You, sir, have just proven one of the biggest conspiracy theories about that choker. Holy fucknuggets. :jawdrop:

really? lol. i contrubuted ;)
joined like a few hours ago :P

also i watched it like 5 times, so i notice new things all the time :D

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:20 pm

It's "Function", not "Program".

The list of all the stuff is a few pages and months back in this thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/649191/DSS-Choker/#649191
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 pm

*shrugs* Well, serves me right for jumping the gun.

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's "Function", not "Program".

The list of all the stuff is a few pages and months back in this thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/649191/DSS-Choker/#649191

gomen, thought i was first xD
guess not. didnt really bother to read 10 pages of posts. gomen!
oh well :irked:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:04 am

I have various problems with the theory that the DSS Choker has a function to suppress the pilot's suppression with an Eva :

- first, the way it's presented in the movies : first you have Ritsuko saying to Misato that she has launched tests about his deep synch-rate and is waiting for the results, and later present the results to a deep-synch test dramatically showing a 0.000% rate. The way it's presented implies that the results shown to Shinji are the direct results of the test Ritsuko made earlier without any tampering.

- why would even Misato and Ritsuko lie about the synch-rate in the first place?
They go as far as saying that his synch-rate is 0.000% but somehow he managed to awake EVA-01, so he got a Choker to be on the sure side... why? They don't want him to pilot because they fear he could awake another Eva, so why come up with that 0.000% BS instead of just telling him that they don't want him to awake an Eva and put on him that Choker that suppress his ability to synch with an Eva on this purpose? They told him that it would terminate him if he awakes an Eva, so I don't think that knowing that it physically prevent him to pilot will shock him more!

- originally, it was created for Kaworu, meaning that all these functions were probably at least tested with Kaworu's powers in mind... so why ha can pilot EVA-13 without any problems, if the Choker was specifically built to prevent him from piloting.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:41 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:- originally, it was created for Kaworu, meaning that all these functions were probably at least tested with Kaworu's powers in mind... so why ha can pilot EVA-13 without any problems, if the Choker was specifically built to prevent him from piloting.

Mind you, we have only his word for that - and his veracity in a number of matters has been questioned; perhaps he said that to make Shinji feel less bad about it. Clearly, as he could take it off Shinji, he could equally have taken it off himself had he wished; so as a device designed to control him it is obviously a failure (and when it killed him, that was possible simply because he allowed it to).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Relaxing... (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:31 am

^
Well, personally, I always thought that the "Suppression function" was for suppression of angelic powers. That idea comes from the moment where Kaworu removes the Choker from Shinji, you can see that the inner side emits a bright red glow and a humming sound exactly as the ones emitted by the Angel Sealing Pillars.

But the Choker is still not powerful enough to completely suppress his powers, hence why the Choker murder sticks took so long to detonate(he still had enough power to delay the explosion long enough to give his final speech to Shinji), but enough so he couldn't retake EVA-13's control from Shinji when he lost his mind, he had to wait that Shinji lost too all control over EVA-13 after absorbing the 12th Angel so he could use some of his control powers to make EVA-13 impale itself.

At least that's how I see it.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 pm

IIRC, the Wille people state that the collar was built to prevent Shinji from piloting. I don't see a synchronization suppressant as being out of the question in the least. Also, what if the collar was stopping Kaworu from taking back the control system of Eva-13, instead of whatever it was that Shinji did to the controls?

wiser3754
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:IIRC, the Wille people state that the collar was built to prevent Shinji from piloting. I don't see a synchronization suppressant as being out of the question in the least. Also, what if the collar was stopping Kaworu from taking back the control system of Eva-13, instead of whatever it was that Shinji did to the controls?

When the 12th angel has encircled Unit-13 you'll notice the collar beginning to illuminate, more noticeably when Kaworu laments he's been cast down to the 13th angel. When the Choker is priming itself you'll notice it's speed greatly increases when he makes Unit-13 pierce itself for the first time. How he took control of it, simple, he was using his Angelic abilities to do so, which in the end, was his downfall.
However, the same question lingers on everyone's tongues, did the Choker prime and kill it's host because of an EVA awakening, or was to kill the wearer bearing a blood-type blue pattern? Most likely the former but I'm not going to ask anyone to answer this.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:IIRC, the Wille people state that the collar was built to prevent Shinji from piloting. I don't see a synchronization suppressant as being out of the question in the least.

Actually, they never explicitly states that it was to prevent him from piloting, but to prevent him him to awake an Eva :
View Original PostGithub translation wrote:00:25:56 {Ritsuko} Should you succumb to your emotions while piloting an Eva, and the risk of Awakening becomes too great to avoid,
00:26:04 {Ritsuko} this will intervene by terminating your life.

The way the phrase is turned, Ritsuko said that the collar won't detonate if he pilot, but if he awakes an Eva(which can only be done by piloting it)
That was the base of a theory of mine that Misato could have planned to give Shinji a second chance and the opportunity to make up for what he did 14 years ago by proposing him to become a pilot for WILLE - with the DSS Choker as a leash for the case he loses control.

The only moment someone from WILLE tells him to never pilot again is Sakura(even Misato's line "From now on... do nothing" is actually ambiguous since Japanese don't have future tense and she could actually be talking about not doing anything to help right now), and that was just he was about to escape with Rei-Q, so it could be interpreted as her begging him to don't enter Gendo's game and refuses whatever proposition or order to pilot he might get while there, and Shinji interpreted it as WILLE not wanting him to pilot ever again, lest they detonate the DSS Choker.

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:Also, what if the collar was stopping Kaworu from taking back the control system of Eva-13, instead of whatever it was that Shinji did to the controls?

Well, that could ties with the theory that the DSS suppress part of his powers, letting him too weak to take back the control from someone too strong willed(and there is few things more strong-willed than an half-crazed Shinji on "mega-stubborn" mode!) and making him having to wait until Shinji too lose all control over EVA-13(which is too let to stop it from starting 4I, forcing him to sacrifice himself)

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:When the 12th angel has encircled Unit-13 you'll notice the collar beginning to illuminate, more noticeably when Kaworu laments he's been cast down to the 13th angel. When the Choker is priming itself you'll notice it's speed greatly increases when he makes Unit-13 pierce itself for the first time. How he took control of it, simple, he was using his Angelic abilities to do so, which in the end, was his downfall.

I never noticed that the Choker's priming accelerate when EVA-13 impales itself, I have to see that scene again.

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:However, the same question lingers on everyone's tongues, did the Choker prime and kill it's host because of an EVA awakening, or was to kill the wearer bearing a blood-type blue pattern? Most likely the former but I'm not going to ask anyone to answer this.

Why not both?
It could be that the Choker was made to detonate if a pattern blue is detected to prevent Kaworu to start using his powers left and right and make a stunt like what he did in NGE, from here since Shinji isn't supposed to be an Angel, it might not hurt to keep that function activated for Shinji, you know to be on the sure side, since WILLE wasn't even sure that it was really Shinji who was materialized by EVA-13 and not some nameless angelic horror with Shinji's appearance who could start sprouting Zeruel's tentacles and throwing AT Fields left and right, could be messy inside the Wunder's narrow corridors! :lol:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:39 am

ElMariachi: "Synchronization Observation and Suppression Program" is a single item, with a fairly predictable "kanji salad" Japanese original, so "suppression program" can only refer to suppression of synch. If the "suppression program" were something separate, it would be in a separate listing.

Also, 'future tense' in Japanese is inferred through language like "from this point forward" -- exactly how Misato prefaced her statement.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:00 am

^
I don't know, why make a dramatic announcement that his synch-rate with EVA-01 is now at 0.000% with Sakura releasing a sigh of pure relief at the prospect that he'll never be able to take control of that doomsday machine again, if it's for Ritsuko to say in FINAL "oh yeah, we lied about it, it was just the Choker, you can still pilot this abomination just fine!"?

Unless he has his capacity of synchronization with any other Eva suppressed by the Choker, but still has the synch-rate at 0.000% with EVA-01, with or without Choker.
But since for some reason he still managed to awake it briefly during operation US : DSS Choker, to be on the sure side... but then if the Choker can suppress the capacity to synchronize with an Eva and they didn't wanted him to pilot ever again, then that means that logically they would had put him a DSS whether he awoke EVA-01 or not, so why tell him that they put him one because he awoke EVA-01 in space?

Although that would explain what Kaworu meant when he said that he always planned to take the DSS Choker from Shinji : with it Shinji wouldn't be able to pilot EVA-13 and do their Synchronization Magic to break the seal to Lilith's Chamber. Then that means that Kaworu can on a certain level bypass the synchronization suppression function of the DSS Choker... that thing is a fucking scam! :lol:

View Original PostReichu wrote:Also, 'future tense' in Japanese is inferred through language like "from this point forward" -- exactly how Misato prefaced her statement.

Which part of her statement is the "from this point forward"?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

wiser3754
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:ElMariachi: "Synchronization Observation and Suppression Program" is a single item, with a fairly predictable "kanji salad" Japanese original, so "suppression program" can only refer to suppression of synch. If the "suppression program" were something separate, it would be in a separate listing.

Also, 'future tense' in Japanese is inferred through language like "from this point forward" -- exactly how Misato prefaced her statement.

Yes, you're observation makes perfect sense with the exception that Kaworu asks Shinji to sync together like with their piano duets when they try to break through the FOI lid using EVA-13, so the Choker isn't exactly doing it's job at that point.

But what everyone wants to know is, why the D in the acronym "DSS" is "Deification", meaning "one who embodies the qualities of a God", would be used in the Choker placed on Shinji? Yes, it was meant for Kaworu originally, and the general explanation is once the pilot invokes "God mode" in an EVA ,the "Shutdown" system is activated killing it's host.
But an observation I've found is when the 12th Angel had encircled EVA-13 you'll notice that the Choker's runes are bleeding through Kaworu's plug suit when he laments that he'd been cast down to the 13th Angel.
Granted, EVA-13 is pseudo evolving without eating the 12th angel at that point but why is the Choker's runes reacting to Kaworu, because he's an Angel (DUH) and what does that say about Shinji who was also able to pseudo evolve Unit-01?
In this thread, that's the only answer I'm searching for, whether Shinji is indeed an Angel (whose mother was researching artificial evolution) or he's something else entirely, that Choker holds the answer.

Also, Shinji's sync rate with Unit-01 being at dead zero, perfect answer, Unit-01 is synced to the WUNDER's Magi, Achiral and Unit-01 lacks the Dual pilot feature found in EVA-13.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:24 am

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Yes, you're observation makes perfect sense with the exception that Kaworu asks Shinji to sync together like with their piano duets when they try to break through the FOI lid using EVA-13, so the Choker isn't exactly doing it's job at that point.

It's clear that Kaworu can nullify or at least limit the DSS Choker's powers, looks like whoever designed that thing didn't tested it enough...

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:But an observation I've found is when the 12th Angel had encircled EVA-13 you'll notice that the Choker's runes are bleeding through Kaworu's plug suit when he laments that he'd been cast down to the 13th Angel.
Granted, EVA-13 is pseudo evolving without eating the 12th angel at that point but why is the Choker's runes reacting to Kaworu, because he's an Angel (DUH) and what does that say about Shinji who was also able to pseudo evolve Unit-01?
In this thread, that's the only answer I'm searching for, whether Shinji is indeed an Angel (whose mother was researching artificial evolution) or he's something else entirely, that Choker holds the answer.

It's possible(and even probable IMO) that the DSS Choker "charges" itself when it detects a pseudo-evolution, since it's the first step before a full awakening, as a way to be ready to detonate the second the proper awakening happens, and maybe as a form of warning for the pilot that he should better calm down now before his head explode.
I find that explanation more plausible than exploding because Kaworu became a 13th Angel, although it's also possible that the Choker is settled to explode if the wearer use angelic powers.

But there is definitively something fishy with Shinji, while Mari and Asuka had their eyes go all glowy and green it was by external means(Beast Mode) but Shinji had his eyes turns red then made the Eva pseudo-evolve all on his own. More, the only other people with red eyes are Kaworu(an Angel) and Rei(you could also be an Angel if she have Lilith's soul like in NGE), so that definitively don't play on Shinji's favor if the few seconds before EVA-01 pseudo-evolves when his eyes turned red where recorded by the enry plug's black box and seen by Ritsuko and co.

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Also, Shinji's sync rate with Unit-01 being at dead zero, perfect answer, Unit-01 is synced to the WUNDER's Magi, Achiral and Unit-01 lacks the Dual pilot feature found in EVA-13.

I think that Ritsuko took that into account... :lol:
Besides she started the test before EVA-01 was ignited, it started even before Shinji was brought to the Wunder's Command Bridge, she said it to Misato :
00:09:43 {Ritsuko} We are now analyzing his deep level sync test results.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”