Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
evafanatic
Adam

[SPOILERS] Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

•      
  •      

Postby evafanatic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 am

While reading the spoilers for 3.0 I couldn't help but notice that Asuka did a few things that reminded me of Misato in eoe(particularly the last scene). Do you guys think that Asuka will represent that kind of transition to adulthood for Shinji? And will she be that kind of mother figure that Misato was to Shinji since she is now basically the same age as Misato was when she was taking care of Shinji?

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 am

although Asuka is 28 she still basically remains 14..i think theres still somewhat of a chance of a relationship between the 2. i dont think she ever told him how she felt about him. maybe in 4.0 she will finally tell him and she will help him with his problems. perhaps when it seems everyone is going to die she will convince him to overcome his depression thus he will become strengthened and ultimatley save everyone and redeem himself.

just a guess we will see

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 am

You could make an argument that Misato's emotional age (in some respects) didn't really match her physical age either back in the series/EoE. So I can see the parallels.

It would be vaguely interesting if there's a progression: Gendo becomes the mastermind (formerly Keel), Misato becomes the ruthless user (formerly Gendo), Asuka becomes the mother/guardian (formerly Misato). So, who'd fill in for Asuka/Rei?

Hmm... Sakura Suzuhara...? hope i'm wrong.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 am

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:although Asuka is 28 she still basically remains 14..i think theres still somewhat of a chance of a relationship between the 2.

You can (not) turn Eva into RahXephon.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

beecass
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby beecass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 am

After watching the eight minute preview, I noticed one particular telling moment that indicated that despite remaining physically fourteen, Asuka has definitely emotionally aged since 2.0: the NME version of the character seemed to me to be even more obsessed with 'going it alone' than her TV counterpart, and in the opening of 3.0, openly requested Mari's assistance without her typical meltdown. I'll reserve judgement until seeing the film, but to me, that's a pretty significant shift in character. She already seems a lot more disciplined and less volatile than before, but definitely retains her hotheadedness and a certain degree of recklessness.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:i think theres still somewhat of a chance of a relationship between the 2. i dont think she ever told him how she felt about him.
As much of an A/S fan I am, I can't help but feel that them ending up together now would at the very least be... awkward. Then again, this still being somewhat, kinda Eva, maybe that boosts the chances of it actually happening...? >_>

Even if she had feelings for him, it seems far fetched that someone she knew for what, a month? - was on her mind for 14 years. At 28, you'd guess she'd have her share of experience by now. That is, if her state didn't prevent her having any relationships, be it that men shied away from her or her never bothering due to prioritizing work, feeling ugly/scarred, or feeling she'd only attract perverts with her body anyway. But it probably wouldn't be because she was holding out for Shinji.

I agree though that a lot about her was left open in 2.0, which is probably what bothers me most about the timeskip. The doll? Well, if it had any deep meaning, she's probably not nearly as attached anymore. Her past? If she ever had the same Mama-issues, they wouldn't nearly matter as much anymore. At least I couldn't imagine something her Arael encounter or meeting Mammi again being nearly as effective when she's an adult already. Her emotional growth, not just feelings for Shinji but friends and other people in general? Welp, she was just a teenage girl, what does that matter now? And of course there's that little Bardiel incident. Anything from her POV on the matter? Her coming to terms with having been taken over by an Angel, being left to die along with it by her own people at the (albeit forced) hands of the guy she at least had a crush on? Oh well, why bother with her recovery when she's fine now (not to forget dat cool/mysterious eye-patch!1!).

Don't get me wrong, I know we could (in theory) still get info/flashbacks to things like that, but I just don't see it working nearly as well with so much time in between. A lot of other things should have influenced her in the meantime - and if it ends up being played like she wasn't, it'd make the whole "28 year old in mind" even less believable.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Form the audio rip Asuka seemed more composed than before, even though we haven't seen much of her. And it seems she still holds the Bardiel incident against Shinji avoiding a conversation about her eye patch. As much as I would like to see a AxS ending it does not seem very likely.

And ShinjixSakura would be a bit creepy too.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Coral
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Coral » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

I think an A/S pairing would be really bad, mostly for two reasons. Firstly, it makes no sense in terms of characterization. Asuka has had 14 years of emotional development, it'd be silly to think she'd still pine over the boy she briefly had a crush on 14 years ago, who subsequently fucked over the entire world when he tried to resurrect his robot girlfriend. If anything, she should only really feel resentment and contempt. Having her suddenly go into pedo mode would basically be admitting that the time skip is half baked fan service, that she hasn't really changed at all and she has no actual inner life other then being Shinji's tsundere love interest.

The second reason is of course the fact that it would be deeply inappropriate and creepy. Asuka is twice Shinji's age, and literally percieves him as a child. In most countries, a romantic relationship between a 28 year old and a 14 year old is statutory rape. Even in Japan, where it's technically legal, it's certainly not condoned or seen as appropriate. I know people have crack shipped Shinji/Misato, Kaji/Asuka and Rei/Gendo but suddenly making canon a relationship which at it's core is basically molestation is super fucked up, even for Eva.

Now I don't know if you can 100% with certainty take it off the table, because 3.0 has totally gone off the rails and now anything can happen. Who knows, maybe Shinji will stumble into a hyperbolic time chamber in 4.0 and spend the next 14 years working on his dating technique and his pecs. But outside of something that forced and nonsensical, there's not really much chance of Shinji and Asuka hooking up.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Form the audio rip Asuka seemed more composed than before

Yeah, the two bits ive picked out are where Shinji sees her for the first time, he's all 'Asuka! Thank god your OK' and all you hear is 'BLAM' as she punches the glass in the front of Shinji's cell. And while I cant understand what she says, the demenour is one of simmering but controlled anger.

And then at the end, shes opened up the ejected Unit 13 plug and found Shinji in the foetal position (next to kaworus corpse apparently) and while chews him out ofr a bit, eventually she sorts of sighs and changes tack, as if to go '...OK, Look its no good you staying here...'

She saves the real fury for battle it seems. And/or when shes trying to Mari at arm's length.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I would like to see what Asuka went through between 2015 and 2029, which would help to explain her current state of mind.

Especially if it involves her drunkenly making out with Mari. *me gusta face*

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote: and all you hear is 'BLAM' as she punches the glass in the front of Shinji's cell.

It's funny at first I thought she had punched him.The dialogue that accompanies that scene seems to be Asuka reminding Shinji of how much of a child he is, it's the first instance that she uses the Gaki Shinji remark.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Ynnead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ynnead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm

It's funny but Mari/Asuka would probably be the most normal relationship either of them could have now due to the whole "not physically aging" thing. Relationship with anyone else would get creepy after a few years when they are both in their 30s and Asuka still looks 14.

Assuming of course that it wouldn't be some sort of freaky time travel yuri incest

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Well you'd think given what shes like, Mari wouldve jumped on someone by now....

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm

I agree with the others saying that an Asuka/Shinji pairing in Rebuild would make no sense and would signal a massive step backwards for her character.

In NGE, Asuka and Shinji hurt each other but ended up with a lot of shared experiences and parallels between them that gave their relationship pathos. Here, she had a crush on him for a few weeks, he blew up Tokyo-3, and then entirely disappeared from her life for a decade and a half, only to act even more petulantly and destructively upon his return. She even admonishes him for not lifting a finger to save her after triggering fourth impact. After all the shit he's pulled, she would've been well within her moral right to just leave him to die at the end of Q -- the fact that she drags him through the desert so he can get another chance at returning to civilization just further demonstrates the massive difference in their levels of maturity.

Plain and simple, Asuka has no reason to want to shack up with a guy who she barely knows and who, more importantly, consistently treats her like gum stuck under his shoe. He blew it, many times over. Fortunately for her, she still has millions of better options even after two cataclysmic impact events.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Mari is the only Eva pilot I can imagine taking an Evangelion & some lucky soul on a joyride up to Make Out Point.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Yeah, I could see her just going up to her favoured bridge bunny (male, female, doesnt matter) and whispering in their ear 'You, Me, Unit 8's plug, 10 minutes'.

But anyway, Asuka's role in this is maybe to be the counterpoint to Shinji. She came through a near-death experience and came out of it ready to grab life by the throat. Whereas Shinji drops further and further into the depths.
Last edited by Jayfive on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ynnead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ynnead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Well you'd think given what shes like, Mari wouldve jumped on someone by now....

I don't get comments like this, what exactly about Mari makes people think she is some sort of sex manic? I didn't get that at all, I mean the sniffing thing maybe but that's more strange behavior then flirting.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Not sex manic, just impulsive, sensual and knows what she wants.

Im not talking about her being WILLE's resident bike, just that if she takes a liking to someone, they will sure as hell know about it.

Also it can be argued that the 'landing on Shinji' scene is of mari using her, shall we say femininity, as a distraction. Shes not the least bit embarassed about straddling him, shes just annoyed shes not entered Japan covertly and losing her glasses. And she not in the least bit bothered about Shinji checking her out (or at least looking like he is).

And then the whole 'crawling on all fours' thing.

Basically she's sexy and she knows it :P

And even without the sexual element, I could see her teasing Asuka all the time, infuriating Princess by giving as good as she gets but not getting into a shouting match

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 am

I'd like to point out that Shinji is also 28.
If someone is in a coma and then comes out of it they aren't the same age as they were when they went in. Plus he hasn't just been comatose but in some kind of self aware dream world. He has 14 years of experiences as well as Asuka. So really there isn't any difference.

His birthday is still the same no matter how long he was in there for.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 am

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:I'd like to point out that Shinji is also 28.
If someone is in a coma and then comes out of it they aren't the same age as they were when they went in. Plus he hasn't just been comatose but in some kind of self aware dream world. He has 14 years of experiences as well as Asuka. So really there isn't any difference.

His birthday is still the same no matter how long he was in there for.

Thats not true. From Shinji's perspective its a matter of seconds since he 'rescued' Rei. Im not sure where youve got this 'self-aware dream world' thing from.

This is the transcript for the first scene post-title card:
00:07:42 Cardiopulmonary function is nominal. No discernible paralysis of the extremities. Yes. His eyes are opening.
00:07:51 Can you understand me?
00:07:56 What is this place?
00:07:58 He is speaking. He seems to have returned to a conscious state.
00:08:03 I'm sure I saved Ayanami...
00:08:07 Yes, continuity of memory also appears acceptable.
00:08:11 Um, where's Ayanami...?

The whole point is that Asuka has had 14 years to grow up, mature and indeed improve. Shinji hasn't. He's physically existed for 28 years but physically, mentally and emotionally he's still 14.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”