Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:In my English subs she calls Lilith:

"The bringer of life to this planet and the agent of its extinction...The Second Angel, Lilith".

Yeah, that's more or less what Misato said in this scene too, it was only the phrasing of the subtitles which were weird.

EDIT : I repost since I didn't get any answers yet : this Saturday I will see on theaters Evangelion 3.0, it will be the first time official subtitles will be shown, so is there a list of terms and/or phrasing you would like me to look for and note the translation?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:15 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:EDIT : I repost since I didn't get any answers yet : this Saturday I will see on theaters Evangelion 3.0, it will be the first time official subtitles will be shown, so is there a list of terms and/or phrasing you would like me to look for and note the translation?

Umm, Sakura's "Give us a break" line, any references to the Twelfth Angel and Eva Mark.09 being made of core, the official translation of "failures of Infinity" and "curse of Eva" might also be interesting to see.

The official rendering of Fuyutsuki's monologue to Shinji might also be interesting.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 am

Dully noted, about Fuyutsuki, I suppose that the line were he talk about Shinji's memories having been erased is the more important bit, right?

Anything else someone have in mind?

Personally I will pay extra attention to Kaworu's dialog with Shinji when he showed him the devastated landscape(especially the designation of EVA-01 as the "catalyst") and when he convinced him to pilot EVA-13(did he said to use the EVA to repair the world or to change it?)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:39 am

How are you gonna remember all this?! Both what to look for, and what the answers are. Gonna bring a notepad into the theater? :lol: On your phone, I mean. Pffff, who uses actual physical notepads anymore. Except good programmers, of course.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 am

Actually, that's exactly what I planned to do! :lol:

EDIT : OK, so so far, according to Shinoyami65's request and my own little list, I'm going to look for :

2.0 :
    The comment about Asuka's physical contamination and mental contamination when she was in a coma

3.0 :

Misato : "From now on... you'll do nothing."
    The mention of the "Curse of Eva"
    Sakura : "Give us a break!"
    Kaworu's explanations of what happened 14 years ago and the HIP, especially his designation of EVA-01 as the "catalyst"
    Fuyutsuki's infodump, especially the part about Shinji's memory being erased and Yui becoming EVA-01's "Control System"
    Kaworu's comment when he convinced him to pilot EVA-13 : did he said to use the EVA to "repair" the world or to "change it again"?
    The exact term for "Failures of Infinity"
    Kaworu's comment about ReiQ's soul being on the wrong place.
    The "whole body core" business with the 12th Angel and Mark.09

I'm leaving for the cinema in three hours, so if you have other things to as for, it's now or never!

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:40 am

There is also Mari comments when Eva 13 is falling...like "help the princess" and stuff =P

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Very well ladies and gentlemen, I've compiled my notes and will lies them here for your eyes only!

That's how it will be structured :
1/ the translations of the list above, made of my own questions and requests from the forum(plus iihieiii's request about Mari's final lines)

2/ then terms and phrasings that picked my attention(and there is a lot of them!)

3/ all of the crazy and WTF things the translation team made

Every point will be structured like that :

The dialog translated by Reichu and Co. via Github
The line in French
The line in French translated in English
Any additional commentaries from me

OK then, let's go!

1/ Lines from the initial list :

Physiologically, all traced of contamination are gone, but there is the chance the Angel infiltrated her mind.
Les traces de contamination physiologiques on disparues, mais on ne peut pas écarter le risque de contamination mentale
Traces of physical contamination are gone, but we can't discard the risk of mental contamination
Yep, same line here, nothing else to report.

Misato : From now on... you'll do nothing.
Ne fait rien
Do nothing
No indications that Shinji's time as an help for the good guys is over, that made her a little less ominous.

Asuka : Right. It's the curse of Eva.
C'est la malédiction de l'Eva.
It's the curse of the Eva.
Here again, no changes to report.

Sakura : Seriously, give us a break.
Je ne pourrais pas supporter que tout cela recommence une nouvelle fois
I couldn't bear to see it all happen again.
Interesting change : here Sakura isn't criticizing Shinji, but pleading that what happened 14 years ago don't happens again, because she wouldn't be able to support to get through this all over again. That implies that Sakura lost a lot during these events, and might imply that Toji is dead. But more importantly, the way the line is phrased, it imply less that Shinji was the cause than in the GitHib translation, although it doesn't discard that possibility, but at least Sakura clearly implies that Shinji has the capacity to make all of this happen again(his status as Impact Trigger)

Kaworu's infodump :
Kaworu : Nerv call it the Human Instrumentality Project.
Nerv l'appelait le Plan de Complémentarité de l'Homme
Nerv called it the Human Complementarity Project
Here Kaworu talk about the HIP in a past tense, like it was already finalized or abandoned by the time of Kaworu's explanations

Kaworu : Lilin call it Near Third Impact. It was all initiated by you.
Les Lilin l'ont appelé "Near Third Impact. Tu fut la clef de tout.
Lilin called it "Near Third Impact". You were the key of everything.
Another interesting change : here Kaworu don't say that Shinji was the cause of this blood-red world, but the "key", a component. The French language has a word for a cause, which is... cause. SO by this phrasing, Kaworu strongly imply that Shinji has been used in whatever turned the world into that hellish red world, not that he was the direct cause.

Fuyutsuki's infodump :
Fuyutsuki : You were watching, too, but your memories have been erased.
Tu a assisté à cela également, mais ta mémoire a été effacée.
You were here too, but your memory was erased.
Here again, the same thing is said, and the wording make it clear that something or someone deliberately erased Shinji's memories, they weren't suppressed by his then young mind.

Fuyutsuki : Now, she is the control system of Eva Unit 01.
A present, elle est l'interface de pilotage the l'Eva
Now, she became the Eva's piloting interface
That confirms that the "Control System" from the GitHub and UTW subtitles means what let a pilot control an EVA, and not its Operating System(aiming aid, communication...)

Fuyutsuki : She is preserved within Eva-01, the same as your mother. It is all part of Ikari's plan.
Elle est emprisonnée à l'intérieur de l'Unité 01 auprès de ta mère, tout comme planifié par Gendo.
She's trapped inside Unit-01 alongside your mother, as planned by Gendo.
Here we have two confirmations : that Yui is still inside EVA-01 and that Rei keep her company, and that Rei ending inside EVA-01 was planned by Gendo.
Here again the phrasing don't leave place for any ambiguity : Gendo planned to trap Rei inside EVA-01 one way or another. That ties with Tsurumaki's interview in the 2.0 CRC, where he said that he asked Anno if Gendo planned exactly what happened with Rei, Shinji and Zeruel, and he responded that Gendo "aimed at this and things went the way he expected." : Gendp planned to have Rei being absorbed inside EVA-01 and triggering its awakening with Shinji, maybe not the way it happened at the end of 2.0, maybe he planned to simulate a "freak accident" with Rei after Zeruel and send Shinji against the 11th or 12th Angel, but things changed and Rei's absorption and Shinji awakening EVA-01 happened sooner that he planned, but the end result is the same, so he's content. Or maybe he really planned to use Zeruel to awaken EVA-01, but with the Dummy System since Shinji resigned, and began to act toward that end(Rei acceding to a fucking N² missile out of nowhere), but in the end Shinji came back and did it himself.

Kaworu convincing Shinji to pilot EVA-13 :
Kaworu : That which was changed by Eva can be restored by Eva in turn.
Ce que l'Eva a changé peut être changer par l'Eva
What the Eva changed can be changed by the Eva.
He doesn't talk about restoring the world, but to bring more change.

Kaworu : The Lilin originally created this due to their fear of me.
Les Lilin ont originellement crée ceci pour moi, par peur de ce que je pourrais faire.
Linin originally created this for me by fear of what I could do.
So the people who created the DSS Choker(SEELE? NERV before the split? WILLE?) feared that Kaworu could do a lot of bad things if they don't put a leash on him. It probably has to do with his status as Impact Trigger, but it could also refers to other powers he might possess, maybe that suppressing them was the role of the "Suppression function" of the DSS Choker, it would also explain why once opened, inner part of the Choker glows red and make the exact same humming sound than the Angel Sealing Pillars.

Kaworu : And if we use them together with Eva-13, we can even repair the world.
Et avec elles et l'Eva Unité 13, nous pouvons même réparer le monde
And with them and the Eva Unit 13, we could even repair the world.
Here he's talking about repairing the world, but note that he said that they could do that with the spears, not that they will do that.

Kaworu : Yes, all failures of infinity.
Ce sont ceux qui ont échoué à fusonner avec l'"Infinity"
They are those who failed to fuse with "Infinity"
Now that's something very different. Turns out that according to the translation, there was an entity called "Infinity"(the French subtitles kept the English name and italicized it for emphasis), and the red Evas trid to go to it and merge with it.
So could it be that the FoIs were born inside Lilith's Chamber and tried to climb all the way up through the Main Shaft to fuse with he core-ified landscape and make it become something else? Maybe they are the origin of the giant teeth canyon and blue iris?(and maybe the giant red crosses too)

Kaworu : Her soul is in the wrong place.
Le siège de son âme n'est pas au bon endroit.
The seat of her soul is not in the right place.
This translation suggest that ReiQ does have her own soul, but that it's not in the right place inside her body. It could eventually be a metaphor to say that ReiQ's soul is actually Rei II inside EVA-01, but the phrasing make it very unlikely(or else it's the most convoluted metaphor I've ever seen!)

Mari : The whole thing is a core.
Asuka : The whole thing is the core?!

Mari : L'ensemble est un "Core"?!
Asuka : Tout ça est le "Core"?!

Mari : The whole thing is a core.
Asuka : The whole thing is the core?!

Asuka and Mari said the exact same thing than in the the GitHub translation. So yeah, both the 12th Angel and Mark.09'w whole body are made of core. No wonder they were such a hassle to kill! And here to, the French translation used the English term "Core".

Mari : Help out the Princess, at least!
Va sauver la Princesse au moins!
Go save the Princess at least!
Reichu said that the verb Mari used could mean "save" or "help", the French translation opted for "save". The rest of her rant to Shinji is exactly the same than in GitHub's translation.

That's all for part 1, I need some more time to continue to decipher the mess that is the lines I noted everywhere in my notepad while in the dark, which led to a lot of notes written on top of others... :facepalm:
Part 2 and 3 should come soon.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm

YAY Elmariachi FTW! Jez i was waiting all morning for this thing!
Thank you very much bro ! :D

AMAZING POST BTW :tongue:

After this post i'm probably going to make a 2.0 FAQ :tongue:
Last edited by iihieiii on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks a lot, it's great to see what an official translation says! I'm curious about parts 2 and 3. Probably obvious question, but the French company that translated the new Eva movies for theaters also distributed the movies (so far 1.0 and 2.0) on DVD/BD, right?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Kaworu : Yes, all failures of infinity.
Ce sont ceux qui ont échoué à fusonner avec l'"Infinity"
They are those who failed to fuse with "Infinity"
Now that's something very different. Turns out that according to the translation, there was an entity called "Infinity"(the French subtitles kept the English name and italicized it for emphasis), and the red Evas trid to go to it and merge with it.
So could it be that the FoIs were born inside Lilith's Chamber and tried to climb all the way up through the Main Shaft to fuse with he core-ified landscape and make it become something else? Maybe they are the origin of the giant teeth canyon and blue iris?(and maybe the giant red crosses too)

"Infinity" part was never in Japanese, but was engrish in katakana.
インフィニティのなり損ないたち
インフィニティ = Infinity
なり損ない = failed to be/achieve?
たち= group suffix

My interpretation of this has always been that Infinity is not an entity but a state of being that probably has something to do with instrumentality/impacts.
Infinity = endless, ultimate quantity. Seems like something to strive for when artificially evolving your species. But since for whatever reason they became frozen headless Evas they have failed to achieve it.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Well, in any case that's how the French subtitles translated the word, that could mean that "Infinity" in Japanese wasn't just a state of being put in Engrish to make it cool, but a proper name for something?(or someone?)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Thanks a lot, it's great to see what an official translation says! I'm curious about parts 2 and 3. Probably obvious question, but the French company that translated the new Eva movies for theaters also distributed the movies (so far 1.0 and 2.0) on DVD/BD, right?

Yep, that's the same company, Dybex.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm curious about the phrase "The seat of her soul is not in the right place." Isn't the entry plug referred to as the Seat of the Soul in some area of the fandom?

Oh, and thank you for doing all of this work for us. I really appreciate it. :D

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'm curious about the phrase "The seat of her soul is not in the right place." Isn't the entry plug referred to as the Seat of the Soul in some area of the fandom?

Oh, and thank you for doing all of this work for us. I really appreciate it. :D
Well, isn't the body the throne of the soul? or so I've heard people say.

Could it be that they took ReiQ's soul from someone else's body and shoved it in a soulless Rei clone, meanwhile her original body is being kept as a soulless shell stored somewhere? Basically ReiQ is using a borrowed soul that has nothing to do with Rei/Lilith.

Thanks elMariachi for the field work! C'est superb! :D
By the way does this mean there are already official English subs, or they just translated from Japanese to French?

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Great Job!

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:12 am

Thank you for doing this, ElMariachi! You sir, are a prince among men. :D

One line of your fan-wank comments on the translation really caught my eye and I am going to take it to a new thread.
So could it be that the FoIs were born inside Lilith's Chamber and tried to climb all the way up through the Main Shaft to fuse with he core-ified landscape and make it become something else? Maybe they are the origin of the giant teeth canyon and blue iris?
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 am

Great job, ElMariachi! Some really great confirmations here, especially the part about "Infinity". I just had one small gripe with one of your translations:

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Sakura : Seriously, give us a break.
Je ne pourrais pas supporter que tout cela recommence une nouvelle fois
I wouldn't support it if all of this happens again.

Italian has a similar verb, "sopportare", but in this context it doesn't translate to "support". (False cognates FTL....) Here, it means something along the lines of "to bear" or "to stand". So I would translate the line as "I couldn't bear to see it all start anew," or something similar.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Great Job!

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:06 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:One line of your fan-wank comments on the translation really caught my eye and I am going to take it to a new thread.

:pray: Thank yooou, thank you thank you thank you. For bonus points, how 'bout including a link to that thread too in your post? :wink: EDIT: Nevermind, I did it for you.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 pm

It's worth noting here that there is also an on-going discussion of Sakura's line which has expanded to include discussion of this translation here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Great job, ElMariachi! Some really great confirmations here, especially the part about "Infinity". I just had one small gripe with one of your translations:

Italian has a similar verb, "sopportare", but in this context it doesn't translate to "support". (False cognates FTL....) Here, it means something along the lines of "to bear" or "to stand". So I would translate the line as "I couldn't bear to see it all start anew," or something similar.

You're right, "bear" convey much better the sense of her phrase, I'm going to make the correction.

EDIT : OK ladies and gentlemen, time for part 2 and 3 of my notes of the French subs of Evangelion!

2/ Interesting terms and phrasings picked up

* First, not a traduction, but something that I could clearly hear thanks to the better quality sound of the theater : when Shinji and Misato are in Lilith's Chamber in 1.0, you can hear on the background the sound of a loud breathing and an heavy heartbeat. Well that exact same sound can be hear around the LCL vat were Rei is occasionally seen chilling, whether it's in 2.0 or 3.0.
The AAA Wunder also have a similar heavy breathing and loud heartbeat background noise after it's powered by EVA-01, albeit the sound is slightly different than with Lilith's Chamber and the LCL Vat, in the Wunder the breathing is more acute.

The notes on part 2 will follow a chronological order, with sometimes some mentions of things that happened before or will happen after when it's relevant.

* EVA'-02 is called EVA 02 Améliorée, meaning EVA 02 Upgraded/Enhanced

* When Asuka make her first sortie with the WILLE armor and lamented that it was a lame sortie, she continued with Je venais juste de la faire nettoyer! : I had just made it cleaned!.
The way it's phrased, it imply that it was not the "Gamma" version's first sortie, and that Asuka had just made it cleaned after a previous operation when she had to go out to dirty it again. That line imply that some time passed between the tesseract falling on Earth and Shinji awaking in the Wunder(maybe days, or even weeks, who know)

Of ranks :
* Sakura is designed as a Second Lieutenant, both when Ritsuko talk to her and when Sakura formally present herself to Shinji.

* Misato is designed as Captain through the whole movie... except in two occasions when she's called Colonel : when Asuka leave the interrogation room, and Gendo at the end when talking about Misato's involvment in 4I going according to the plan.
It could be that Misato effectively is a Colonel, and the Wunder's Captain, as it was theorized in a topic dedicated to the subject, but it could also be Asuka that wanted to drive a point home to Misato by calling her by her old rank at NERV(to warn her to don't go soft on Shinji just because it's been 14 years since they last saw him), and Gendo who don't know that Misato's new rank is Captain(or didn't care).

* Ritsuko's rank is designed as "C2", the closest thing I could thing corresponding is the term second-in-command (2i/c or 2IC) used in the Royal Navy. My take is that C2 means "Commandant en second", "Second in Command", a rather convoluted way to say "Vice-Captain" if you ask me.

* Asuka's line to Shinji about how in this new world they don't have the luxury of worrying about the life of just one person if much harsher in the French version : Une vie ne vaut rien dans ce monde, One life is worth nothing in this world.
Ouch! And that's not even her harsher line(see later)

* The "ADAM's Vessel" is called "Vaisseau d'ADAM", which means "ADAM's Vessel"... but "Vaisseau" in French only convey the sense of "ship", not "recipient", so another English translation would be "Ship of ADAM"

* When looking at Mark.09 flying away with Shinji through a trap in the Wunder's roof, Asuka's line is very different from the GitHub translation :
What do you know.
He's not even an idiot.
He's just a brat!

Quand il agit comme ça,
il est plus un égoïste qu'un idiot!

When he acts like that,
he's more an egoist than an idiot!

According to my sister, a student on Japanese, the term used by Asuka, "gaki", has a double meaning : a kid and a selfish, because kids are considered as intrinsically selfish. A good translation in English is "brat", used by GitHub, but the French language don't have a term that convey this double meaning, so the translators settled by the "egoistic" meaning, probably the tendency to egotism is one of Shinji's main trait and his greatest flaw, which will be very relevant at the scene with the spears.
I also want to note that Asuka will continue to use égoïste for the whole movie, only one calling him a child during their fight in Lilith's Chamber(see bellow)

* When Shinji arrives in neo-NERV HQ and meet his father for the first(and only) time in 14 years, Gendo calls EVA-13 "l'Evangelion Unité 13", the Evangelion Unit 13, the same way EVA-01 or 02 where walled Eva Unit 01 or Unit 02, so no "Evangelion 13" special designation for it here, despite what the booklet said.

* When arriving in the bottom of Central Dogma with EVA-13, Kaworu calls the place "L'origine du '3rd Impact'", "The origin of 3rd Impact".
Here there is no place for any ambiguity as with the term epicenter : in French Kaworu clearly says that 3rd Impact originated here, in Lilith's Chamber. A big proof that Shinji awakening EVA-01 in 2.0 is not what destroyed the world!

* Kaworu : Yes, the Eva Mark.06. Remodeled into an autonomous type, exploitation by the Lilin brought the unit to this state of ruin.
Oui, c'est l'Eva Mark.06, triste fin pour elle qui a été automatisée par les Lilin.
Yes, it's Eve Mark.06, sad end for her which has been automated by the Lilin.
I admit that I don't exactly remember the phrase said by Kaworu, but I just found it interesting how he qualified the end of Mark.06 as "sad". It implies that he had some attachment to it, which could be understandable if it was his original body as ADAM.

* Asuka : You really *are* a little brat.(when Shinji told her that he don't want to cause 3I again, but want to fix everything with the spears)
Tu n'est qu'un gamin naïf et egoïste.
You're just a naive and egoistic kid.
I would want to draw your attention on the use of the word "naive" : that clearly establish that Asuka thinks that Shinji is being manipulated and lied to about the spears, so she must know that pulling out the spears will only lead to a catastrophe. That changes many things : first it help establish everyone's responsibility in the events in the chambers : yes Shinji lost his mind and pulled the spears even though Kaworu(and Asuka) were begging him to stop... but Asuka did have information that Shinji didn't and didn't bothered to tell him, and instead directly goes into killing mode. As for Kaworu, or WILLE knew that the LoC had morphed into a LoL(and that the reset option is not possible anymore) from some time before Kaworu... or even with the two different spears Instrumentality would have happened, Kaworu knew this and manipulated Shinji.(maybe Kaworu that Instrumentality would bring Shinji the happiness he desired)
It's also the only time in the movie where Asuka calls Shinji a kid(in the French version at least)
Anyway, it's another glaring example of one of 3.0's main themes : the ravages of the lack of communication(accidental like when WILLE got their briefing to Shinji interrupted by Mark.09, deliberate with Gendo and tragic by Asuka's unwillingness to explain and later Shinji's refusal to listen), I hope that in FINAL Shinji and Asuka will take the opportunity to have a long conversation and tell one each others what they know and what they feel, because if everyone keep jumping to conclusion and not wanting to listen to others, the situation is bound to end in a "Komm Susser Tod"...

* Mari : You should get out of there before you turn into an Adams' Vessel.
Tu devrais partir d'ici d'ici avant de finir absorbée par le Vaisseau d'ADAM.
You should get out of there before you get absorbed by the ADAM's Vessel.
Here Mari implies that Mark.09 has the nasty habit to absorb it's pilot, that's the only way I could see to explain how Mari could know what kind of risks Rei is incurring, maybe that already happened to previous Reis while they where fighting WILLE during the past 14 years.
But anyway this line is much clearer that the cryptic "turning into an Adams' Vessel"

* Mari : Your original was a lot friendlier, you know.
On s'entendais bien mieux avec l'original.
We got along much better with the original
Here Mari is including more persons than herself, in my opinion that support the theory that Mari was talking about Rei II and not Yui.

* Remember when I said that Asuka's line about one life not being worth anything was not her harshest? Well here is her harshest point :
Asuka : Go down already, bratty Shinji!
Tais-toi et laisses moi te tuer, Shinji l'égoïste!
Shut-up and let me kill you, Shinji the egoistic!
Yep, they had the same interpretation than the infamous "Shut-up and die, brat Shinji!" line from the UTW sub...

* Shinji : We can't stop now, Kaworu-kun! Remember why we came all the way here?
On ne peut plus reculer après avoir fait tout ce chemin!
We can't back down after making it this far!
Shinji's line seems a little less egoistic, and a little more desperate, like he's really backed against a corner, which is understandable if we take into account Asuka's line just above showing that Asuka is really hell bent on killing them! It serves to reinforce the complete tragedy of how miscommunication led them to killing one each other.

Mari : Plus, we don't know *what* might happen once the final Angel is defeated. Troubling, isn't it?
De plus, je suis curieuse de voir ce qui va se passer une fois que l'Ange final est détruit.
Plus, I'm curious to see what will happen once the final Angel is destroyed.
Like Asuka's killing intent, the French subs have the same interpretation than the UTW one : Mari is actually eager to see what would happen after the 12th Angel is defeated. Also notes that her eagerness only lasts during less than one minute, until the moment the DSS CHoker detect a pattern blue belonging to a possible 13rd Angel, at which point she start worrying and understand that it's Gendo's plan, not SEELE's ("So this is what Gendo-kun was aiming for.")

* Gendo : you are still creatures blessed with the Fruit of Knowledge.(during his final meeting with SEELE)
vous êtes des créatures ayant consommé du Fruit Interdit
you are creatures who consumed of the Forbidden Fruit
Well, Forbidden Fruit could be a metaphor for the Fruit of Knowledge, since that's how it was called by God in the Bible, the forbidden fruit that Adam and Eva mustn't eat.

* SEELE-01 : Our wishes have come to fruition.
Nos objectifs on déjà été accomplis.
Our objectives have already been completed.
It can be interpreted similarly than in the English subs, that they are confident that Gendo will finish the scenario and that they leave the keys to him, and died not knowing that he tricked them... but it could also be interpreted as SEELE knowing that Gendo is double-crossing them, and SEELE-01 is subtly telling that they don't care since they already took their precautions(Shinji as the "back-up"? Mark.09 programmed to go into pseudo-evolved mode at the same time EVA-13 awakes and hack the Wunder? Both?)

* Mari : It's one of the surviving Adams!
C'est un ADAM laissé en arrière
It's an ADAM left behind!
The phrasing is different, but the sense is the same : EVA-13 is confirmed as being one of the four ADAMs.

* Kaworu : Shinji-kun, you just need to find peace and a place to call your own. Fate will surely guide you.
Shinji, à présent tu a besoin de trouver un endroit où te reposer et à toi. Les liens qui t'entravent t'y emmèneront.
Shinji, now you need to find a place to rest and to call yours. The ties that shackles you will take you there.
So the subs version made it clearer that this "place to call your own" is just somewhere to let him recover from this nightmarish day. Another thing interesting is the "liens qui t'entravent" bit : the meaning of the verb used(entraver) is very precise and design something that impedes something or someone. So by using that phrasing, Kaworu implies that the "ties" that will take him to that place to rest will do it against his will... which is exactly what Asuka will do later!
So or Kaworu saw EVA-02 self-destruct and Asuka eject, and know both Asuka and Shinji to know that their ties are still strong enough so that Asuka will search for Shinji and lead him to safety, whether he want it or not, or the guy is fucking prescient, which I wouldn't rule out(or a time looper...)
If we take his foreshadowing to the end, then the place where Asuka, will lead him is where Shinji will find rest, peace and hope, so or they end in a place when Shinji can rest instead of being picked up by the Lilin, or they get picked up sent to a WILLE base/the Wunder being repaired and supplied in a Lilin settlement, which will be the place where Shinji will recover. There is also the possibility that these "ties that shackle him" include Misato, which once recuperating Shinji and seeing his destroyed mental state, will send him somewhere else, since neo-NERV don't seem to have any use for him anymore... reinforcing the idea that even in that nightmarish future, Shinji still have people who care for him(Misato and Asuka), who formed bonds with him 14 years ago that still exists, and thus he shouldn't abandon hope yet.

* Fuyutsuki : Nearly everything went as Seele had intended.
C'est presqu'exactement ce que Seele voulait.
That's almost exactly what Seele wanted.
Fuyu said more or less the thing in the French and English version, although taking into account SEELE-01's last words that their objectives were already accomplished, maybe what Fuyu meant is that, baring Kaworu's death and EVA-13 deactivating(closing the Door of Guf before Instrumentality could begin), everything else was part of SEELE's ritual, including the Black Moon emerging from the ground and the Door of Guf opening to that weird giant sphere surrounded by tesseracts. Even if both the spears where LoL. So maybe all what SEELE wanted was to bring forth Instrumentality and only needed a LoL, or two, or a LoC with it, while Kaworu explicitly wanted to have a LoL and a LoC, maybe he wanted to repair the world with the LoC while bringing Instrumentality(and what he perceived being Shinji's happiness) with the LoL, but Gendo's trickery destroyed his plans.

* Gendo : Captain Katsuragi's actions are also within expectations.
Le Colonel Katsuragi a également agi suivant le plan.
Colonel Katsuragi's actions also followed the plan.
Here Gendo flat-out said that Misato's actions weren't within the possibilities, but that he actually planned that she will act like act, WILLE was as much a pawn in the plan than Shinji or Kaworu. Which is kinda logical when you think about it : his plan had two crucial points : that Shinji pulls out the spears no matter what happens( which Gendo is implied to have made sure of by breaking him mentally from behind the scenes) and that EVA-13 is ultimately stopped after its awakening but before it can launch Instrumentality. Mark.09 is still a SEELE machine, even if it's a pilot loyal to Gendo who pilot it, so Gendo was not safe from some nasty surprises from SEELE, like when it had gone into autopilot to hack the Wunder(and that's it if he didn't actually already knew about this backdoor program), so having other people ready to do anything it takes to stop EVA-13 was necessary, and WILLE, with two EVA piloted by veterans and a fully powered AAA Wunder, all provided. All according to the plan. :emogendo:

* Asuka : You didn't come to help me. Only thinking about yourself, as usual. You think you can get away with everything if you don't say a word.
Tu n'as pas bougé le petit doigt pour m'aider. Tu ne penses qu'à toi et penses que te renfermer est la solution.
You didn't lifted a finger to help me. You only think about yourself and think that closing yourself is the solution.
Here, instead of being a rant of how Shinji is prostrated in his entry plug instead of helping her, it looks like she's berating him for his attitude in general, his tendency to only think about how things affects him and to close himself to everything and everyone when things don't go the way he wants. Actually, it looks like Asuka really tough a lot about Shinji's character and behavior during the past 14 years, to the point that she's now able to give a fairly accurate portraying of Shinji's main flaws. That's not something you came up with with just a conversation in an interrogation room and a fight, she probably though a lot about Shinji, especially why he acted the way he did 14 years ago, ready to sacrifice the world to save Rei(and why he wasn't ready to do the same for her?). Well if that's the case, then Asuka is bound to be Shinji's warrior therapist for FINAL, meaning a lot of interactions between them!

* Asuka calls the "The L Barrier density" at the end "Champs de Rétention L", L Retention Field .
So this mysterious barrier is a field that retain something coded "L", now it remains to be seen what this "L" stands for : LCL? Lilin?

* To finish, something that I think will please more than one member here : in the preview for FINAL : EVA 8+2 was called "Eva 08 et 02", EVA 08 and 02, meaning that there is hope that the monstrosity that is "FrankenEva" is actually just a visual metaphor for EVA-02 and EVA-08 fighting alongside a la "Both of you, dance like you want to win"! :D

Well, it's 1:30 am here in France, so sorry guys but part 3 will have to wait for tomorrow, but I think you will have enough to work and fanwank with all this new material!

So as Kaji would said : "God leck!" :salute:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 pm

YAY waiting all day for this too :lol:
Awesome post as always :tongue:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Honestly this will probably cause more confusion than clarification.

Unless there's definiteve proof that the company that did the localization have been given more access than the script I don't see the point of putting any weight on this.

Always start from original source and make the fewest jumps necessary. Getting yet another language involved with its own nuances isn't gonna help.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”