3.0 Reactions and Reviews from Viewers (Japan?)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

[SPOILERS] 3.0 Reactions and Reviews from Viewers (Japan?)

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Title says it all; interested in the native response on a more informed basis than what, say, 2ch would probably give. If any reviewers of note and/or reputation release a review of the film we would very much like to have it posted here for digestion of the native reception to the movie please.
Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:25 pm

I'll probably get to posting summaries if not full translation from here and there at the very least when I have time.

For now I'm reposting this from yesterday (note: there's more reviews now but I don't have time for recount)

Haha, looks like that one person (Maya's seiyuu I think?) who predicted 3.0 splitting Eva fandom in half like nothing (ecept original show's shift in gears I guess) was right. I just took a look at the yahoo reviews with the average hanging around 3/5 stars and it looks like this:

4-5 star reviews: 137
3 star reviews: 60
1-2 star reviews: 124

It's hard to say how many of 3 star reviews lean towards positive/negative/complete neutrality without actually reading them but clearly positive and negative reviews are pretty much equal in number :lol:

Fandom split? Fandom split!

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 am

Does it absolutely have to be a Japanese review? Kotaku just posted the review from their US branch:

[url]http://kotaku.com/5961452/evangelion-30-is-not-the-film-you-were-expecting[/url]

And it made me unexcited as hell...

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:17 am

I wanted to post that somewhere but couldn't find a good spot for it, so thanks for adding it here.

That link nicely summed up all the ways in which I was disturbed reading the spoilers here.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am

View Original PostHENRCAST wrote:Does it absolutely have to be a Japanese review? Kotaku just posted the review from their US branch:

[url]http://kotaku.com/5961452/evangelion-30-is-not-the-film-you-were-expecting[/url]

For the record, that's the same guy who said Sword Art Online was the smartest anime he's seen in years.

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 pm

So, can I feel relieved now?
Please tell me I can!
This review kinda ruined my day, so any excuse to make it invalid in my mind would be priceless!

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 pm

if you take anything from Kotaku seriously you probably need help
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

The Kotaku review? Yea, personally I don't value his opinions very much. I put much more weight on Xard's analysis, even though he hasn't seen it, and Ornette's opinions, since he has seen it.

I mean, I'm scared shitless about so many things from this movie, but I'm not in the least worried it will be bad.

Edit: Hey now Aza, there's no need for that. Kotaku guys are a mixed bag. Some of them are ok, some of them aren't. I enjoy Fahey's reviews and Plunkett, while I disagree on things, seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm

A lot of stuff from that review seems to make sense to me from what I've read and heard so far: Evil!Misato, Mari being still there for show, the critic of the "Eva curse", the irrelevance of the developments in the first two movies...

Some stuff is arguable while there are also some silly parts like:
why they need a flying battleship?

Maybe to wage a war? But Toshi made a sensed comment when he replied by pointing out that the real issue isn't "why" but "how did they get it".
Or the bit about "Gainax" rather than "Khara".

Anyway it looked like a decent review overall, the comments of Toshi in particular seems completely legit.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 pm

This thing caught my eyes from the review.
SPOILER: Show
This is about Misato's attitude toward Shinji..
And christ, it's like she's reading from a manual called "How Not to Deal With Shinji Ikari."

(Obviously) I have not watched the movie, but --judging from the spoilers I've read so far-- that sounds about right. I guess the movie story is constructed in such a way that people/circumstances force Shinji to break down.

Well it sounds like the movie itself is well made on its own... My only beef is that 2.0's storyline appears to be abandoned -- where's Rei who cherished the lunchbox Shinji made for her? Didn't Shinji appear to have rescued her? Oh boy..

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 pm

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:This thing caught my eyes from the review.
SPOILER: Show
This is about Misato's attitude toward Shinji..

(Obviously) I have not watched the movie, but --judging from the spoilers I've read so far-- that sounds about right. I guess the movie story is constructed in such a way that people/circumstances force Shinji to break down.

Well it sounds like the movie itself is well made on its own... My only beef is that 2.0's storyline appears to be abandoned -- where's Rei who cherished the lunchbox Shinji made for her? Didn't Shinji appear to have rescued her? Oh boy..

He did rescue her. And then Gendou apparently shoved her into Unit-01 along with Yui. Poor Shinji just can't catch a break, heh.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm positive we'll see a couple story points from 2.0 dealt with in the Final. Kaworu already gave Shinji one information dump in 3.0, getting another from Misato would really drag the film down.

Jumping the gun, I don't think they'll want to start Final with a big action scene but rather something quieter, more character driven.

At the very least I expect we'll hear something about what happened to Kaji & Rei II will return in some form or other - she shows up for one second in 3.0 for a reason.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Jumping the gun, I don't think they'll want to start Final with a big action scene but rather something quieter, more character driven.

I read something similar about 3.0 but it turned out pretty much like the beginning of 2.0... I really don't know, maybe the next movie will be set after other 14 years...
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I read something similar about 3.0 but it turned out pretty much like the beginning of 2.0... I really don't know, maybe the next movie will be set after other 14 years...

Sounds like they'll be going for a quiet wasteland character growth feeling. you know what i mean, right? When the main character screws up and has to return to nature and discover himself again before he can come back.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 pm

A "Wilderness Sabbatical", as in Scott Pilgrim, eh? :~)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:58 pm

View Original PostGrub wrote:Sounds like they'll be going for a quiet wasteland character growth feeling. you know what i mean, right? When the main character screws up and has to return to nature and discover himself again before he can come back.

Yeah, but at this point "coming back" would require crossing into another fucking dimension, which at this point is completely feasible, given the limited cast.

Gotta think that the limited cast is a deliberate choice, especially with all the time they spent in 1.0 and 2.0 turning Tokyo-3 into a character itself. The contrast is just too high... or did the director that do all those scenes not work on 3.0?

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 am

View Original PostHENRCAST wrote:Does it absolutely have to be a Japanese review? Kotaku just posted the review from their US branch:

Ha! What an awesome read. I'm now officially looking forward to seeing this. :nod:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 am

This reply from the kotaku review caught my eyes.

About your whole thing with the characters not communicating - Ins't that kind of the point of NGE? The characters lock themselves away

I understand kotaku guy's point about better communication can fix the problem, but I feel under the circumstances characters are in Q, it is very difficult.

And most of his complaints works the same way in most other anime/movies, etc.
Also sprach Zarathustra

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 am

I'm not going to read any reviews from multimedia sites - too high a chance of encountering a review by someone whose expertise isn't in film or anime.

I'd rather read a Brikhaus review.
Or, and this is an idea, a Half in the Bag review.
Voluntary Illusion.

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:05 am

I also found a review from Japanator (I admit I'm somewhat of a review addict). It is a pretty different, more positive take when compared to Kotaku's.

[url]http://www.japanator.com/review-evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo-27282.phtml[/url]

On a completely unrelated side-note, I'm getting more and more remorse for having spoiled pretty much the entire movie for myself...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”