3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 pm

On the subject of 1.0 being more "upbeat" than 3.0, I really don't think that's true. In fact, going back and rewatching it after seeing 3.0, you start to notice a lot of really dark instances of foreshadowing, like when Shinji constantly broods over the fact that he feels all alone, and that if he messes up even a little, everyone will hate him for it, not to mention him cynically telling Misato that as long as he kills the angels, it really doesn't matter what happens to him, as far as anyone is concerned, and she gets very upset, mostly at herself.

It really makes you consider the possibility that 3.0 was planned that way all along.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:47 am

I don't know who is saying 1.0 is upbeat but it has never been that since it was released in 2007. Short of the comedic scene where Misato welcomes Shinji home with a crappy microwaveable dinner the film has almost zero moments of levity or light heartedness. Shinji doesn't crack a single smile until the final scene with Rei & everyone else is pretty morose too with all the characters seemingly awaiting their eventual demise by Angel apocalypse.

It's really only the (intentionally) comic & light-hearted first half of 2.0 that keeps fans thinking the first two films were Happy Eva Times.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:37 am

^ Even then it didn't last long in 2.22. I mean, all it took were three instances of fun music from Kare Kano playing in the score with about an equal number of fan-service shots, and suddenly everyone thought that a movie were people nearly get bitten to death in the jaws of an Eva or absorbed entierly into and Angel is the fun one of the bunch, and therefore dislike it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:52 am

While the cooking contest bit might get the sound-bites, it was the substitute ginger that caused most of the complaints.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:57 am

Not like they're not connected.

I still find it funny that most of my complaints re: the film series evaporated in light of Q, which IMO did a lot to redeem Shikinami's character. The fact that this happened in a movie that was so relentlessly Shinji-centric is doubly amusing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 am

^ And if previous film patterns hold true (last character shown on-screen besides Shinji has a big role in the next film: End of 1.0: Rei and Kaworu, End of 2.0: Kaworu, End of 3.0: Asuka) she'll have a nice amount of focus in Final. :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:^ And if previous film patterns hold true (last character shown on-screen besides Shinji has a big role in the next film: End of 1.0: Rei and Kaworu, End of 2.0: Kaworu, End of 3.0: Asuka) she'll have a nice amount of focus in Final. :wink:

I saw someone on the forums before I registered said that, I am pretty sure it was you.
If they start out where they left off in 3.0(walking in the wasteland) I believe this holds true.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:26 am

Probably was me, yeah. But honestly, even if Final doesn't show us the pilots walking in the desert (I think it will, though), there should be some chances for a few quiet moments between characters reaching an understanding of sorts. Assuming things just aren't a war zone the majority of the film.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:35 am

Personally, I would not be the least bit surprised if Anno went the EoTV route for Final, albeit with more attention paid to the moments in-between.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:40 am

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either. I'd honestly be fine with that, because I enjoyed the storytelling mode in EoTV (and EoE).

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:38 pm

View Original PostAsavarii wrote:I find a lot of the criticism levelled at 3.0 comes from frustration at not understanding what the F was going on. Fight the good fight, and all that! ;)

I too felt this frustration, but I want to wait until I have the full picture before passing judgement.

You and some nailed it , i totally agree

Q is not the common in between episode , cause it goes very far , it have a plot hole , a giant one but the film shows an interest way of dealing with that hole

That's why i wait Final so much cause it could be very interesting to fix the hole , but how he will do it ?

Final is the future, , the hole is in the past , flash back ? Anno is really in flash backs ? story telling of a character ? more likely + visual hints.

I really want to know how he will deal this .

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Absence of information is not the same as a plot hole.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:01 pm

I see , my bad then

but i hope you get my message

I hope a clever and interesting way to fill the gap with Final .
I'm more excited about it than even the conclusion of the whole saga

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Oh, sure! But then, some of the discussion here is aimed at filling at least parts of the gaps by deduction - it's one of the things that keeps us occupied while we're waiting.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:03 pm

View Original PostAsavarii wrote:I find a lot of the criticism levelled at 3.0 comes from frustration at not understanding what the F was going on. Fight the good fight, and all that! ;)

I too felt this frustration, but I want to wait until I have the full picture before passing judgement.

Just my two cents, but I think that on top of that, it's also the fact that the movie seems hellbent on punching Shinji in the guts as hard as possible and negate absolutely everything he did for the past two movies: Tokyo-3? Destroyed. The rest of the world? Destroyed too. Lilith? Dead with an Angel inside her. The friends he made? Dead or they hate him. Rei? Didn't saved her. Makes you wonder what was the point of the two previous movies if everything was to end being destroyed, better have started the quadrilogy with Q and tell the story before it via characters talking about it on passing and a couple of flash-backs, like with 2I.

Of course, there is probably much more to the story than what we have been shown and what Shinji was led to believe, the hints about it were extensively discussed on this forum, but most of the audience didn't had the will to see the movie several times and analyze it down to the last frame. Just see the all the fanfic that take at face value the affirmation that what Shinji did at the end of 2.0 directly led to the nightmarish landscape we see in Q despite all the evidences that something more happened.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:18 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Of course, there is probably much more to the story than what we have been shown and what Shinji was led to believe, the hints about it were extensively discussed on this forum, but most of the audience didn't had the will to see the movie several times and analyze it down to the last frame. Just see the all the fanfic that take at face value the affirmation that what Shinji did at the end of 2.0 directly led to the nightmarish landscape we see in Q despite all the evidences that something more happened.

This, agree 100% and this goes back to Q as having Shinji being the audience's avatar, I don't believe we where ever suppose to 100% get an answer on what actually happened in Q, now as the 4th movie that is a different story.

Really like how Q is good at putting you with Shinji.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”