Shinji Character Analysis (2.0/3.0)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 10, 2013 1:45 am

Aren't image macros verboten these days? I seem to recall them being stripped out of threads in the past.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xie
Embryo

Postby Xie » Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Bingo. Haven't we all figured out how foolish it is to divine Anno's intentions? Deciding that Q dictates the form of Final may be as wrongheaded as when people said 2.0 would dictate the form of Q. If ya hadn't noticed, Anno likes throwing curveballs.

I don't care about Anno's intentions. If Shinji gets anything other than an execution in 4th it will make no sense. There is no redemption, no hope, no love, no happiness, no peace for Shinji. The only thing that would make sense would be his brutal and swift demise at the hands of his former friends and allies. It would be laughable story telling if this whole affair ended up with him being even remotely happy.

P.S. I find it rather ironic that a lot of the pro-Shinji posters feel the only logical outcome is his immediate execution. While the anti-Shinji crowd weirdly hold out hope for a "good" ending for him. :crazytwirl:

P.S.S. Im pro-Shinji, for the record.
Last edited by Xie on Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
It doesn't matter who we are... what matters is our plan. No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 am

View Original PostXie wrote:I don't care about Anno's intentions. If Shinji gets anything other than an execution in 4th it will make no sense. There is no redemption, no hope, no love, no happiness, no peace for Shinji. Anything other than his brutal and swift demise at the hands of his former friends and allies would be ludicrous. It would be laughable story telling if this whole affair ended up with him being even remotely happy.

:huh: ...I don't even know how to respond to this.

:uhh: ...Maybe it's better not to.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 10, 2013 4:02 am

View Original PostXie wrote:the world portrayed in Eva and the people there of, are not worth saving. So yes, you are wrong. Using weapons that run on the souls of butchered mothers and their forsaken children is...frankly unspeakable.

You speak as if you think the story of NGE or NTE is a literal depiction of a possible real world. It is not; it is a metaphor, a fairy tale if you like, from which we can learn if we are prepared to try to understand it - and which (it would seem) goes straight over our heads if we don't make that effort.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You speak as if you think the story of NGE or NTE is a literal depiction of a possible real world. It is not; it is a metaphor, a fairy tale if you like, from which we can learn if we are prepared to try to understand it - and which (it would seem) goes straight over our heads if we don't make that effort.

This. People are forgetting the fact that Evangelion is a work of fiction, and it's all just a metaphor about the director's view on life. I really don't understand why people don't see this.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby one-eyed » Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 am

This. People are forgetting the fact that Evangelion is a work of fiction, and it's all just a metaphor about the director's view on life. I really don't understand why people don't see this.

I understand that, but I also had an emotional response based on similarity to my life, so I'm sorry if sometimes I become passionate. I admit that I got involved too much, but I'm trying to get rid of. Again, I apologize.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 10, 2013 7:55 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:I understand that, but I also had an emotional response based on similarity to my life, so I'm sorry if sometimes I become passionate. I admit that I got involved too much, but I'm trying to get rid of. Again, I apologize.

You don't have to apologize. Just realize that it's Anno's story, and that what he's saying might not match up with what we would expect based on events depicted so far. It's not conventional by design. If that doesn't make sense to some viewers, well . . . in the words of Anno, "Too bad!" :devil:
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am

Who is the person that said that Evangelion is a reflection of the heart or some shit like that? I guess this strongly applies here in regards to many people here and I'm inclined to share similar sentiments in that. I don't know how folks believe things are going to be grim for Shinji, either. EoE pretty much had Shinji crying on top of Asuka with her registering disgust while here instead, Shinji seems to have some sort of "support" system with him walking with Asuka and Rei Q, the former who could've just let him there to rot and die. I say EoE provided somewhat of more bleak outlook, while here Shinii at least has TWO, living, BREATHING, not so broken people by his side. Some folks have already predicted his doom before Final.

:huh:

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 am

View Original PostXie wrote:P.S. I find it rather ironic that a lot of the pro-Shinji posters feel the only logical outcome is his immediate execution. While the anti-Shinji crowd weirdly hold out hope for a "good" ending for him. :crazytwirl:

P.S.S. Im pro-Shinji, for the record.

I'm "Pro-Shinji" as you put it, and I for one think a "good" ending is very possible for him. Does this add irony to that irony?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lennik » Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 pm

I think dividing people into groups of "Pro-Shinji" and "Anti-Shinji" is inherently problematic. I fail to see how constantly pointing out what a victim he is and repeating the fact that he didn't want to hurt anyone as a way to absolve him of all responsibility and whine about how unlucky he is is "Pro-Shinji." It's not. It's just an excuse for him not to grow up and learn from his mistakes. Then there are those who sympathize with him who say that he would be better off never having been born, that there's no hope for him, and that he would be doing everyone a favor if he just killed himself already. That is absolutely not "Pro-Shinji" in any way that I can see.

Then there are those of us who acknowledge that he screwed up, big time, and that he needs to learn from all of this that no, he doesn't have to behave like a mindless automaton following orders, but he does need to learn to not be so stubborn and actually listen to the opinions of others. I consider myself Pro-Shinji because I do feel sorry for him, and I want him to get his act together and become the hero he can be, but that doesn't mean sugarcoating his actions. He made a mistake. He can still make up for it, but it isn't going to be easy.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 10, 2013 5:37 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:I think dividing people into groups of "Pro-Shinji" and "Anti-Shinji" is inherently problematic. I fail to see how constantly pointing out what a victim he is and repeating the fact that he didn't want to hurt anyone as a way to absolve him of all responsibility and whine about how unlucky he is is "Pro-Shinji." It's not. It's just an excuse for him not to grow up and learn from his mistakes. Then there are those who sympathize with him who say that he would be better off never having been born, that there's no hope for him, and that he would be doing everyone a favor if he just killed himself already. That is absolutely not "Pro-Shinji" in any way that I can see.

Then there are those of us who acknowledge that he screwed up, big time, and that he needs to learn from all of this that no, he doesn't have to behave like a mindless automaton following orders, but he does need to learn to not be so stubborn and actually listen to the opinions of others. I consider myself Pro-Shinji because I do feel sorry for him, and I want him to get his act together and become the hero he can be, but that doesn't mean sugarcoating his actions. He made a mistake. He can still make up for it, but it isn't going to be easy.

This, every word, a thousand times over.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby one-eyed » Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am

I think dividing people into groups of "Pro-Shinji" and "Anti-Shinji" is inherently problematic. I fail to see how constantly pointing out what a victim he is and repeating the fact that he didn't want to hurt anyone as a way to absolve him of all responsibility and whine about how unlucky he is is "Pro-Shinji." It's not. It's just an excuse for him not to grow up and learn from his mistakes. Then there are those who sympathize with him who say that he would be better off never having been born, that there's no hope for him, and that he would be doing everyone a favor if he just killed himself already. That is absolutely not "Pro-Shinji" in any way that I can see.

I see hope in what you say and it is based on small tips and messages that you interpreted of what you saw. I find beautiful have hope, I think right, but I do not think it to be trusted because as you know that the hope you saw does not a trap for the tragedy in 4.0? I will not let my guard down, I think Anno is now rich, famous, successful, and he can do whatever he wants with the characters and if anyone don’t like horror. . . in the words of Anno, "Too bad!"

I know I'm being boring and repetitive. I really do not like to play the role of devil's advocate, but the worst lessons of life that no one wants to learn are: Bad things happen to good people, some mistakes can never be mended, friendships and loves die, villains can win, the misfortunes never walk alone and be careful what you wish that you can get (the latter is more suited to Gendo, since Shinji never succeeded and I doubt will achieve something in life.) And if that's the message? If some people were made to fail despite the intentions? You can deny this possibility?

I really would like to get another opinion, but that's what I think. All I can do is pray, but I really cannot believe it.

aboose
Lilith

Postby aboose » Sat May 11, 2013 9:22 am

There is little to no evidence that Shinji is destined to fail, though. One of the big themes of evangelion is that piloting the eva leads to pain and destruction. The only thing that Shinji has pretty much done in eva is pilot eva, and pretty much all it has brought him is pain. NGE showed us that the one time that Shinji made a decision for himself and acted outside of the eva was the one where he finally learned to love himself. Maybe your interpretation is different, but I don't see that as "bad ending."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 11, 2013 9:33 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:I know I'm being boring and repetitive.

Yup.

You can deny this possibility?

Easily. You and your cohorts are seeing what you want to see, no matter your protestations to the contrary. In an odd way it's very Shinji-like: if you don't want to see hope in the story you absolutely will not see hope, no matter what anyone else says!

This will not and cannot change until you decide to look at things differently.
Last edited by Bagheera on Sat May 11, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat May 11, 2013 10:24 am

Bagheera
It's useless to talk.........No matter what you say, your words cannot change(And they won't change) their personal thoughts/opinions....

In a strange way, this conversation between Bagheera and one-eyed reminds me of Misato and Shinji. (possibly in 4.0) Where one-eyed is Shinji who doesn't try to find the hope, and Bagheera is Misato who tries to give advice's to Shinji, but he won't listen/accept them. In other words, talking to Shinji won't do anything in Final. Only deeds will work. IMO. (Though, i don't know what kind of deeds will work.....)

Hope has to be presented in front of someone's eyes to believe in that hope. Deeds of course, not words. (At least it's much more effective in that way) Kaworu's words were useless, until he took DSS choker off from Shinji.(Deed)

Repeating: considering that Shinji is much more worse state than one-eyed :lol: words won't definitely work on him. Someone has to do the work for him and show the hope. (using deeds.jpg) Only that way Shinji will believe in hope.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby one-eyed » Sat May 11, 2013 10:43 am

Bagheera and Giji Shinka: I admit that I'm being annoying and I apologize.

I'll refrain from comment on this subject because I think I'm causing discomfort and I apologize for that. I admit I really cannot be hopeful, but is not worth ruining the hope and mood of others for a view that I myself find it distasteful. I think I absorbed the shock and I'm prepared for the worst or better in 4.0.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat May 11, 2013 10:49 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:Bagheera and Giji Shinka: I admit that I'm being annoying and I apologize.

I'll refrain from comment on this subject because I think I'm causing discomfort and I apologize for that. I admit I really cannot be hopeful, but is not worth ruining the hope and mood of others for a view that I myself find it distasteful. I think I absorbed the shock and I'm prepared for the worst or better in 4.0.

Nonononnonoo! My comment wasn't anything like: Bagheera is right and that you are wrong, or that you are bad or anything like that.........One way to give you hope for Shinji's future and 4.0, is to watch 4.0. :tongue:

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Nonononnonoo! My comment wasn't anything like: Bagheera is right and that you are wrong, or that you are bad or anything like that.........One way to give you hope for Shinji's future and 4.0, is to watch 4.0. :tongue:

That may be true. But on other hand if Anno is planning downer ending "because fuck you", one-eyed prepares fore the worst already to be less disappointed. That's actually my method as well.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:That may be true. But on other hand if Anno is planning downer ending "because fuck you", one-eyed prepares fore the worst already to be less disappointed. That's actually my method as well.

Yeah.
Shinji most likely is too. It's easy for us to say that there is hope, because we can predict things as a viewer. These things happen to him only once, but we can dig deeper and think. Shinji can't.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Yeah.
Shinji most likely is too. It's easy for us to say that there is hope, because we can predict things as a viewer. These things happen to him only once, but we can dig deeper and think. Shinji can't.

:facepalm: And what proof do you have of that?

This is one thing I'm really getting tired of hearing (and I mean REALLY TIRED OF IT), that people automatically assume that Shinji is incapable (to the nth degree) of moving on and learning from his mistakes, or people treating his character to the point that it's a crime against the universe for him to become a better person. But no, in order for people to see Shinji as "Shinji", he has to only exist as a complete failure as a human being, whose only purpose is to fuck up and everyone else around him.

At what point in the whole history of Evangelion did people come up with this...this..."label" of Shinji Ikari as a complete waste of a human being?

If Shinji was this label, would he have bothered to reject Instrumentality in the original series? If he was this label, he could have easily said, "I hate myself so much, so let myself be erased by Instrumentality as we all are one." He could've taken the easy way out, but HE DIDN'T. He rejected the cheating path and learned that you can live with your mistakes and pain, which is GROWTH in to a BETTER PERSON!

Yes, he fucked up, and yes he will answer for his actions somehow, but that does not mean he can't learn and move on.

I honestly don't know where this skewed idea of where Shinji exists only as a complete failure came from, but that isn't what he is, and it's getting tiresome.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”