4th Film Info (READ OP) + Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:To me it feels like preview was supposed to be what Q was and not 14 years later script but it was altered for whatever the reason, in a way that preview seems like the time gap.

I get that same vibe from it now. But people should never judge a film based on what it could have been like, but rather by what it is now, as that is the product we have to deal with anyway. The filmmaker took it out for a reason and therefore it should stay out of the canon's context. (It's one of the reasons why I personally disregard storybords, previous script drafts.) So now, with Q all finished and released, the preview at the end of 2.22 covers what happened in the 14-year time gap. And Unit 08's appearance isn't the only thing that changes from preview to movie. The shots featuring Mari at the preview at the end of 1.11 show up nowhere in 2.22, as do the shots of Misato slapping Ritsuko. The same thing is happening here with Unit 08, it's just on steroids.

atarashiieva
Embryo

Postby atarashiieva » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:It's likely, but I'm still bothered by the difference in unit 8 shown in preview and one in Q. Granted 14 years have passed, it's without halo and double entry system. To me it feels like preview was supposed to be what Q was and not 14 years later script but it was altered for whatever the reason, in a way that preview seems like the time gap.

IIRC, the EVA-08 from the preview was destined to play a similar role as the current EVA-13.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: So now, with Q all finished and released, the preview at the end of 2.22 covers what happened in the 14-year time gap.

I'd like to think that this was the intention all along. It makes sense, given how Shinji's nowhere to be seen in that trailer. Oh boy, the CRC interviews for Q are sure gonna be interesting as hell to read once they're translated.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

PainXIII12
Adam

Postby PainXIII12 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:We dont know, if that's the final design. Eva-02 wasn't even finished, when it was first shown at the end of 1.11.
LOOK IN THE BACKGROUND MPE MARK 06?!!!!!

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TruthfulLie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 am

View Original Postatarashiieva wrote:IIRC, the EVA-08 from the preview was destined to play a similar role as the current EVA-13.

Exactly, probably some change in script caused this as well. So the whole preview can't be taken too seriously but loosely what could have happened during the time gap.

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Charsi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I'd like to think that this was the intention all along. It makes sense, given how Shinji's nowhere to be seen in that trailer. Oh boy, the CRC interviews for Q are sure gonna be interesting as hell to read once they're translated.

Perhaps 3.33 as originally envisioned was going to have no Shinji in it at all. Maybe they decided that story wasn't compelling - politics, IPEA, no big epic eva battles and no Shinji. It's not hard to see why they might have suddenly said "this is going to tank at the box office" or whatever and shelved it.

Perhaps when they threw 3.33 out, what they really did is bring forward all their 4th movie stuff into the 3rd.. with a few detail changes here and there, like Eva-13.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Granted, it would be interesting to see Evangelion without Shinji. If anything covering the timeskip is ever made, that's probably exactly what we'll get.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:31 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Shades of the next episode preview at the end of Katanagatari episode 3 and the actual episode 4.
I was mad as fuck when this happened good lord
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 am

I'd like to throw in that I'm 100% certain that Unit 8+2 in the preview is just a hastily put together mockup & is not going to at all look like that in the final film. (If it shows up of course)

Why? Well, the Unit 02 half has a perfectly developed classic Eva arm... yet it's the arm in 3.0 that is the interchangeable one. Based on the hodgepodge work done on Unit 02 in the third film, I'd say it's clear Wille doesn't have the capabilities to perfectly fix their two Evas - let alone give them a paint job - so continuity wise the 'FrankenEva' we see in the preview makes no sense.

I'm sure Unit 8+2 is going to be an ugly Eva, as it should be since it's Wille using what spare parts they have to give them one last Unit, but it's not going to be the exceedingly simple design from the preview.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 am

Gendo'sPapa: It's been previously mentioned that the outward appearance of 8+2 does not have to literally reflect which components come from Eva-08 and Eva-02. In other words, they can armor it up with a silly half-and-half appearance, but underneath it can be mostly Eva-08 with some key components from Eva-02.

General: I also requested that Eva-specific discussion get moved to the Eva Series thread, to help slow this thread's bloating -- to no avail apparently. Will have to move some posts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'd like to throw in that I'm 100% certain that Unit 8+2 in the preview is just a hastily put together mockup & is not going to at all look like that in the final film. (If it shows up of course)

Yeah, I've never heard of a movie production go all the way back to the drawing board to design something now that isn't going to be needed until the next movie's production budget is collected and implemented.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:30 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Gendo'sPapa: It's been previously mentioned that the outward appearance of 8+2 does not have to literally reflect which components come from Eva-08 and Eva-02. In other words, they can armor it up with a silly half-and-half appearance, but underneath it can be mostly Eva-08 with some key components from Eva-02.

But didn't EVA-08 also lost its left arm when Mari forcibly ejected Shinji's entry plug from EVA-13? Then it would be completely impossible to make a biologic left arm for 8+2.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But didn't EVA-08 also lost its left arm when Mari forcibly ejected Shinji's entry plug from EVA-13?

Nope, the arms are intact, just damaged.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:21 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:It's likely, but I'm still bothered by the difference in unit 8 shown in preview and one in Q. Granted 14 years have passed, it's without halo and double entry system.

I don't know if it has a double entry system in the preview, but don't forget 8+2 is most certainly mostly unit 8. If both Asuka and Mari are piloting it, it could mean it has a double entry system as well... It's a very heavy speculation and I'm not fond of adventuring myself too far in these kind of things, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

It's frustrating to have to wait until we can finally get all the answers to our questions.

alexsan1991x
Embryo

Postby alexsan1991x » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Some speculation on Gendo as to events unfolding into 4.0:

* Gendo's master-plan - Karowu realises that both Lances are now of Longinus type, during the end of 3.33 and even remarks "I'd expect nothing less of the King of Lilin". I speculate that ReiQ, under orders from Gendo, replaces the Cassius type with a second Longinus in preparation for Karowu's descent to the 13th. I believe this holds real potential, as ReiQ is "waiting for orders" in pretty much all of her free time. It would seem Gendo has been having her perform quite a few orders, hmm...

* Fall of SEELE - Directly a result of Gendo's plan when 4th Impact is initiated. Gendo has Fuyutski deactivate SEELE, effectively eliminating them from the game permanently. SEELE's agent, Karowu, is destroyed as the 13th as part of Lilith's contract and SEELE, believing 4th Impact is truly upon them (likely as unknowing as Karowu about the Lances), allow themselves to be destroyed as they are regarded as partaking of the Fruit of Knowledge. Gendo even says that everything happened within prediction.

* The use of the Lances - If the film does start with a flash-back about 06 vs the 12th, then during this time the use of the Lances could be explained. This could also help explain Impact Mechanics, tying another loose end. It'll also explain how Lilith's core was not destroyed, but her body was.
Her core is absorbed by Eva 13 when it enters pseudo-evolved mode, and subsequently lost when Mari forcibly ejects Shinji as Eva 13 goes tumbling down into who-knows-where with both Lances of Longinus with it. This is heavily backed-up by Ritsuko's comment "4th Impact has been avoided... But we don't know whom to thank".

If Gendo master-minded these situations then he now has a damaged Eva 13, two Lances of Longinus and a Lance of Cassius. He also has full reign over how things will proceed according to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I honestly believe Gendo is going to play a massive role in 4.0.

Some speculation on Kaji in 4.0:

* Wille - I'm beginning to have myself, without a doubt, convinced that Kaji is the master-mind behind Wille and that their base of operations (considering how much naval fire-power Wille had/has) is the Research Facility that Kaji takes everyone to in 2.22. A flash-back could easily show how Near 3rd Impact eventually leads to the 12th Angel vs Karowu and how subsequently NERV is divided.
It would be pointless to kill off a character like Kaji so off-handedly when he's someone the fans WANT to see and learn about.

* Wunder - I speculate that Wunder is in-fact part Angel. At the start of 2.22, we see Kaji working at Acheron, wherein the 3rd Angel has been contained. It's heavily hinted that its escape and subsequent destruction are orchestrated by Kaji on Gendo's behalf. This leads me to believe that Kaji has knowledge of Angel containment. If Wunder is indeed part Angel, it would explain why they need Eva 01 to power it in order to generate an AT-field. The design of Wunder is VERY organic, with its wings and rib-cage like design.

Ritsuko also says "Wunder's original master!", which is quite cryptic until you think about it.
Take a look at the new head Eva 09 grows. It looks near-exact to the massive face/head at the front-end of Wunder. Now, we know that Angel's cores can be held within Eva units by the fact Eva 06 has contained the 12th Angel, which Mari tells us "The whole thing is a Core".
Asuka is also quoted as saying this when she is fighting 09 in 777-Mode.
This was likely SEELE's attempt at taking Wille out of the game, as during the entire show-down, ReiQ loses control of her unit and the SEELE emblem appears inside her Entry Plug, which says to me that they had activated a dormant over-ride programme thus giving full control of the vessel to the Angel. The same thing happens within Wunder's helm, as they lose control.
I know this speculation will likely be debunked as the terminology "Adams Vessel" is thrown around several times during this sequence, but I'm still not convinced as to what an Adam's Vessel actually is... at any rate, they must be Angelic in nature.

* "Let's go to where the Lilin are!" - Asuka's final line in 3.33. I speculate she's taking Shini, and letting ReiQ tag along, to Wille HQ (the Research Facility that Kaji takes everyone to in 2.22 as a treat, that's now likely a MASSIVE military base/settlement for the surviving Lilin). Here, Shinji will be once again confront by Misato, Ritsuko and Sakura. I'm betting Sakura tries to defend Shinji, whilst Asuka and Mari sit back and watch things play out before Kaji steps in to defend Shinji.
Brining things full-circle once more. This would also give us the chance to learn about the surviving Lilin and what transpired with Misato, Ritsuko and Kaji during the 14 year time-gap.

If my speculations are correct about Kaji, then we have a plot-device to drive onwards to a finale between Wille and NERV, including a reunion of Rei II and Shinji, ReiQ having a self-realisation about what/who she is and a final show-down in which Kaji orders Wunder to be sacrificed in order to deploy Eva 01 against the MP series that'll be under Gendo's command.
I expect Kaji will go down with the ship with Misato in his arms. ;)

ANYWAY. Enough fan-wanking by me.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by alexsan1991x on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:29 pm

A good theory, except for a point : Acheron is a zone(probably the rooftop) of Bethany Base, the facility where the 3rd was contained and experienced. And EVA-05, the 3rd and the whole base has been obliterated when the 3rd was destroyed, so Linin City can't be located here.
Beside that base was on the North Pole, thousand of kilometers from Asuka's, Shinji's and ReiQ's location.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

alexsan1991x
Embryo

Postby alexsan1991x » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:31 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:A good theory, except for a point : Acheron is a zone(probably the rooftop) of Bethany Base, the facility where the 3rd was contained and experienced. And EVA-05, the 3rd and the whole base has been obliterated when the 3rd was destroyed, so Linin City can't be located here.
Beside that base was on the North Pole, thousand of kilometers from Asuka's, Shinji's and ReiQ's location.

I think you've misread.
I'm saying that the Lilin City will be at the Research Facility Kaji takes everyone to as a treat in 2.22.
The one with the dolphins and fish? :D

EDIT: I'll edit it to make it clearer. :)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 pm

View Original Postalexsan1991x wrote:I think you've misread.
I'm saying that the Lilin City will be at the Research Facility Kaji takes everyone to as a treat in 2.22.
The one with the dolphins and fish? :D

EDIT: I'll edit it to make it clearer. :)

Oh, that one! :D
Did we know how far from Tokyo-3 that facility is? It seemed a little to close for me to be the last bastion of mankind!

PS : the fact you posted a long theory about what will be in Final means that you're starting to appreciate 3.0? :tongue:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexsan1991x
Embryo

Postby alexsan1991x » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh, that one! :D
did we know how far from Tokyo-3 that facility is? It seemed a little to close for me to be the last bastion of mankind!

PS : the fact you posted a long theory about what will be in Final means that you're starting to appreciate 3.0? :tongue:

Hmm, we're never told where that Marine Research Facility is, but it was MASSIVE and if Kaji had a hand in it, he may have been laying the ground-work for a long time. ;)

Oh, and definitely. I've really come to appreciate 3.33! I read your theories also and found them quite interesting. Haven't had the chance to PM you with work and other crap + thinking out my own theories. :P

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:13 pm

View Original Postalexsan1991x wrote:Hmm, we're never told where that Marine Research Facility is, but it was MASSIVE and if Kaji had a hand in it, he may have been laying the ground-work for a long time. ;)

Oh, and definitely. I've really come to appreciate 3.33! I read your theories also and found them quite interesting. Haven't had the chance to PM you with work and other crap + thinking out my own theories. :P

Well, it didn't looked that massive for me, but I didn't see 2.0 in a while so maybe I don't remember it quite well, but still seeing how nightmarish and dangerous the landscape around Tokyo-3 became(There is fucking EVAs growing from the ground damnit!), and the possibility that Gendo had some sort of control over the Nemesis Series, I would put Lilin City as far away from this lovecraftian place as possible!

Besides wasn't the facility in a river? It would be impossible for the massive WILLE fleet of to dock near that place, and I'm not even talking of the Wunder!
For me, Lilin City is most likely a port city to supply the fleet, although it's possible that the city has another facility to raise fish for consumption.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”