Eva-02 in EoE - could Asuka have taken in an S2 Engine?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Leighton
Lilith

Eva-02 in EoE - could Asuka have taken in an S2 Engine?

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:43 am

Hi everyone, back after snatching a few scenes from EoE.

During the final battle, could Asuka (and her mother) have gone berserk, thus breaking the mouth armour of Eva-02 allowing the consumption of the S2 engine of one or multiple of the EVA series?

[That brings up another question, do the EVA series lose their regenerating ability if another EVA eats their S2 engines?]

Now, would the battle actually be on equal grounds, or even in Asuka's hands (her fighting ability seems to be much greater than the Kaworu controlled EVA series), considering both sides have the regenerating ability?

Or would the Lances of Longinus that were thrown at her still completely have nullified the ability/brought her demise?

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:04 am

Once the MP Eva's lose their S² they lose the ability to reactivate not regenerate.

In the fight with the MP Eva's they were just playing around with Asuka, never seriously fighting her to begin with. It gave her a false sense of superiority which lead to her downfall.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Eva-02 in EoE - could Asuka have taken in an S2 Engine?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:allowing the consumption of the S2 engine of one or multiple of the EVA series?
With the S2 gone, you've effectively pulled the plug on that Eva.

Knowing to, and actually being able to fit in a quick snack while being mobbed, those are more critical limits; and as things stood neither held.

I used this idea in one of my fics, but there, things panned out to overcome those latter restrictions -- and led to the separate question of "I've eaten half a dozen of these things now, so now what?"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Would it even have needed to? Evas with no power sources have been shown to operate without power while berserk before. 01 takes Zeruel apart when it shouldn't even be capable of moving. Hell, even 02 activates while powerless right before the MP units tear it to shreds, though it's too severely injured at that point for berserking to save it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:Would it even have needed to? Evas with no power sources have been shown to operate without power while berserk before. 01 takes Zeruel apart when it shouldn't even be capable of moving. Hell, even 02 activates while powerless right before the MP units tear it to shreds, though it's too severely injured at that point for berserking to save it.

While they can on brief occurrence operate on what seems to be sheer willpower for a while, the Evangelions are still dependent on external energy via the umbilical cable. There's no telling how long a berserk Eva will remain active, but a shiny new S2 engine would guarantee seemingly limitless power. That is among the reasons why Gendo was reluctant to deploy Unit 01 after the Zeruel incident.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:15 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:That is among the reasons why Gendo was reluctant to deploy Unit 01 after the Zeruel incident.

I had the impression that it was only, or at least mainly, because he didn't want to provoke Seele any further, especially after the unauthorised usage of the Spear.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I had the impression that it was only, or at least mainly, because he didn't want to provoke Seele any further, especially after the unauthorised usage of the Spear.

That is definitely a large consideration, but at this point Unit 01 was likely the most valuable of Gendo's many chess pieces, among Rei, Lilith, and Adam. Naturally, right? It's not only Lilith-incarnate bearing the Fruit of Knowledge, but it now has an S2 organ and thus the Fruit of Knowledge, not to mention the soul of Yui Ikari. To deploy it would be to risk causing 3rd Impact prematurely, and could ruin his plans. It's been ages since I've seen these episodes, but I recall concern being raised by somebody for reasons among these lines.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Anubis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Anubis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Could she had won by taking out the Dummy-plugs?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:51 pm

View Original PostAnubis wrote:Could she had won by taking out the Dummy-plugs?

Probably. This is how Rei defeated them in Evangelion Anima from the first chapter (or was it one of the first chapters? I can't remember well enough) we somehow got translated time ago.
View Original PostSachi wrote:To deploy it would be to risk causing 3rd Impact prematurely, and could ruin his plans. It's been ages since I've seen these episodes, but I recall concern being raised by somebody for reasons among these lines.

I can only remember an earlier mention of Eva-01's importance by Ritsuko in episode 16, anyway I'm in the same situation, it's been quite some time since I last watched those episodes.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:23 pm

The dummy plugs are fixed, via cybernetic implant, within the spines and thoracic cavities of the MP Evas. I doubt they come out with the ease of a tampon. Eva-02 was on a pretty limited schedule, as well.

Leighton wrote:During the final battle, could Asuka (and her mother) have gone berserk, thus breaking the mouth armour of Eva-02 allowing the consumption of the S2 engine of one or multiple of the EVA series?

Eva-02 actually did roar more than once during the battle against the JSSDF, so the jaw armor probably should have been animated breaking open. (EoE's Eva animation has any number of weird inconsistencies.) But that aside, I'm sure Eva-02 had the intrinsic capacity to assimilate another entity's S2 engine, same as Eva-01. No idea why Team Soryu didn't go that path, or at least contemplate. They should have been able to figure out the MPs had them, whether through Kyoko's Eva Intuition, or via the on-board sensors (the ones that help the pilots target Angel cores oh so nicely).

Well, beside the obvious answer that the narrative required them both to die.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:37 am

Ara-ara, I understood "taking out" as plainly "destroying" rather than physically removing them, Rei destroyed them with a long range sniper rifle in Anima if I remember well, I guess that just as Reichu said dislodging them would be pretty difficult.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”