[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [2]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Jornophelanthas » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 am

This will be my final post on this (sub-)forum until I have had the opportunity to see Rebuild 3.0. While I have already explained this decision elsewhere, this post will list my predictions/speculations for what will happen in this movie. And to be quite honest, to secure my chance at bragging rights, if I turn out to be more or less correct on one or two points.

So without further ado, here are my guesses:

- Shinji will be kept in isolation from the regular cast for most of the movie. He will only have significant exposure to Kaworu until the movie's climax. There may or may not be a single conversation with Asuka early on, but it will be disastrous from Shinji's point of view.

- SEELE will attempt to recruit Shinji as a backup pilot to Kaworu. This will mean Shinji will perform activation and calibration tests with Unit-06 (but not Unit-01), taking turns with Kaworu. Shinji will meet Keel Lorenz and bond with Kaworu.

- Misato will have very little screentime, and she will mostly be tagging along with Kaji. She will either die, or she will end up in a position where she will be able to participate in the main story again in 4.0.

- Kaji will have a more significant plotline. It will be revealed who he is working for (my guess is UN/IPEA), and that his intention is to destroy both Angels AND Evangelions. There will be a scene that alludes to the NGE scene where he gets killed, but he may actually survive this time.

- Ritsuko will be interrogated and jailed, perhaps even killed at some point. There are no clues at all that she is anything but a background character in Rebuild.

- Command of the Evangelion Project will be given to NERV EU. Nearly all the new cast members will be NERV EU staff, including the pink-haired girld and the bearded commander from Bethany Base. They will command at least one Evangelion battle, and they are very likely to fail (and get blown up in their base) before the movie's end.

- Asuka and Mari will both be piloting for NERV EU. Remember that Asuka is already a pilot for European Evangelion command, and that Mari is British. They will be rivals, but develop a mutual respect for one another soon. They may even become friends.

- Gendo and Fuyutsuki will be seen doing several secretive things throughout the movie, only to return during the movie climax, after the EU staff has failed. Fuyutsuki may get killed along the way.

- Unit-01 will be kept in isolation throughout nearly all of the movie, after Shinji has been recovered. Rei will be retrieved from it at a later time by Gendo. (I realize I'm not the first to make this call.)

- Kaworu will descend to Terminal Dogma in Unit-06, and Shinji will be secretly put into the (still-frozen) Unit-01 by Gendo (possibly flanked by Fuyutsuki, Misato and/or Kaji) in order to stop him. Shinji will be forced to choose between loyalty to SEELE and loyalty to Gendo. Gendo will convince Shinji to pilot by throwing Shinji's own words back from 2.0 at him: "You will pilot because you are the designated pilot for Unit-01!"

- The final confrontation between Shinji and Kaworu will also involve Rei.

- At some point, Mari will disobey orders and reveal that she has an agenda of her own. Mari will invite Asuka to join her. Asuka will be torn between fighting Mari or joining her. Either Asuka in Unit-02 will fight Mari in Unit-08, or Asuka and Mari will fight a group of MP EVAs together. Asuka will not die in either scenario, but Mari may.
This will happen near-simultaneously with the Shinji-Kaworu confrontation (see below).

- Kaworu will see the Lilith figure Misato showed Shinji in Rebuild 1.0, and identify it as (an) Adam.

- Shinji will be given the option (and the encouragement) to kill Kaworu, but this time Shinji will not do it. Instead, he will reach out to Kaworu, and Kaworu will take Shinji's hand.

- Shinji will also extend a hand to Rei, who also takes his hand. (This will also be a visual metaphor.)

- Holding hands with both Rei and Kaworu at the same time, Shinji will make a conscious decision about initiating Third Impact or not. We might not get to see what he decides before the credits roll.

- Rebuild 4.0 will deal with the aftermath of that decision, including a future that goes further than the epilogue in EoE. Any interactions (reconciliation?) between Shinji and Asuka will be postponed to this movie.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 am

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:- Shinji will be given the option (and the encouragement) to kill Kaworu, but this time Shinji will not do it. Instead, he will reach out to Kaworu, and Kaworu will take Shinji's hand.

- Shinji will also extend a hand to Rei, who also takes his hand. (This will also be a visual metaphor.)

- Holding hands with both Rei and Kaworu at the same time, Shinji will make a conscious decision about initiating Third Impact or not. We might not get to see what he decides before the credits roll.

I'd love for something like this to happen.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:- Shinji will be given the option (and the encouragement) to kill Kaworu, but this time Shinji will not do it. Instead, he will reach out to Kaworu, and Kaworu will take Shinji's hand.

And this looks like something which only existed in my mind so far, Shinji becoming a bridge between Kaworu and Rei, my KaworuxShinjixRei scenario would be fulfilled.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:- Kaworu will see the Lilith figure Misato showed Shinji in Rebuild 1.0, and identify it as (an) Adam.

Not sure about that, it would be just a reversal of episode 24 and thus not that surprising. But still, there's no reason why it shouldn't happen, and we would still be left to wonder what happened to the other Adams.

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:- Rebuild 4.0 will deal with the aftermath of that decision, including a future that goes further than the epilogue in EoE. Any interactions (reconciliation?) between Shinji and Asuka will be postponed to this movie.

I think Asuka and Shinji might meet at one point after Asuka retrieve Eva-01 from space. She does have some contact with Eva-01 when it fires its eye lasers. But I have a feeling meetings between those two might be thin on the ground after the beginning of the film.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:13 pm

man, ive been reading 4chan an d if what I see is true, hooooooooollllllllllly F@#K!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:man, ive been reading 4chan an d if what I see is true, hooooooooollllllllllly F@#K!

Send me a P.M, please?

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm

View Original PostMana wrote:11) Just for fun: the souls inside of the MP Evas are of the previously defeated Angels and are piloted by Kaworu dummy plugs.

I have been thinking about this for months. I think Asuka would get a real kick out of killing whichever Harpie has Bardiel's soul. :asuka_thumbsup:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:man, ive been reading 4chan an d if what I see is true, hooooooooollllllllllly F@#K!

Not exactly a reliable source. Even if someone there might be telling the truth, it's probably drowned out in mountains of troll shit.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Not exactly a reliable source. Even if someone there might be telling the truth, it's probably drowned out in mountains of troll shit.

Indeed but somehow I've not been laughing so hard from quite a while.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Kozar927
Lilith

Postby Kozar927 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Send me a P.M, please?

Me to please please pleaase. I cant view 4 chan at work

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm

I never imagined Shinji could get pregnant

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:26 pm

clearly you just haven't been imagining hard enough
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I never imagined Shinji could get pregnant

I told you so, Shinji is a girl. :lol:
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Really? People are going to anything with 'chan' in the name for spoilers?

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Knuckles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:40 pm

The thread titles in this forum are starting to get too interesting for me to hold off much longer. I think I'm going to take my leave of absence. The Utada song + spoilers is almost too much to handle right now without my brain asplode.

My only speculation is I'm pretty sure Shinji will kiss someone this movie, but I'm hoping it's not Kaworu. Rei would be a logical follow up: holding hands in 1.0, hugging in 2.0, making out in 3.0, have sex in 4.0 and initiate some type of 3I, the end.
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 am

For those people who have stayed clean (and even those who haven't), I would suggest a walk down memory lane, checking out the early days of this sub-forum.

There;s so much that was wildly off; but also a lot of stuff that is still going on in one form or another like (just grabbing from amongst the oldest threads)

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/2088/Is-rebuild-a-retcon/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1985/Fan-service/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1984/The-Role-of-the-New-Characters/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oenara
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Oenara » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Not exactly speculation, but: Any last-minute thoughts from my fellow unspoilereds who are planning to watch the BD or fansubs? Hopes, predictions, anticipatory gushing? Plans for [s]drinking games[/s] viewing parties? Tales of victory and defeat against Teh Spoilers?

Personally, the thing I'm most curious to see is how the widespread consensus that

No specific plot spoilers, but don't click if you're a purist who avoids spoiler-free reviews  SPOILER: Show
the movie is incredibly dark and depressing and has an unhappy ending

is compatible with the trailer's

continued from the last spoiler tag  SPOILER: Show
quotation/tagline "No matter what, there is always hope." Barring the chance that Anno etc. simply forgot that. ;)

OT: If any spoilered folks are reading this, I have a favor to ask - would one of you be willing to answer a couple of questions about the movie for me?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:40 pm

View Original PostOenara wrote:Not exactly speculation, but: Any last-minute thoughts from my fellow unspoilereds who are planning to watch the BD or fansubs? Hopes, predictions, anticipatory gushing? Plans for [s]drinking games[/s] viewing parties? Tales of victory and defeat against Teh Spoilers?

Personally, the thing I'm most curious to see is how the widespread consensus that

No specific plot spoilers, but don't click if you're a purist who avoids spoiler-free reviews  SPOILER: Show
the movie is incredibly dark and depressing and has an unhappy ending

is compatible with the trailer's

continued from the last spoiler tag  SPOILER: Show
quotation/tagline "No matter what, there is always hope." Barring the chance that Anno etc. simply forgot that. ;)

OT: If any spoilered folks are reading this, I have a favor to ask - would one of you be willing to answer a couple of questions about the movie for me?

All I can say is I can't wait to see how the un-spoiled like you react! I really liked it, thats all I'll say.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm

View Original PostOenara wrote:OT: If any spoilered folks are reading this, I have a favor to ask - would one of you be willing to answer a couple of questions about the movie for me?

Sure. Send me a PM.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

I'll definitely be posting my thoughts on the movie shortly after watching this. Might have to give my brain a cool-down period, though. :lol:

As for expectations/hopes, I don't really have any in particular. I'm just really excited to see what Anno-sensei has in store for us!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”