[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [2]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 pm

View Original PostSuperdarkpit wrote:Has anyone said anything about the newly found pink evangelion in the recent 3.0 trailers? C'mon! It's a Pink evangelion! How did that not attract a lot of attention!

There was much ado about this in both the trailers and speculation thread. So yeah, the pink Eva Unit did attract quite a bit of attention.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

brankoburcksen
Embryo

Postby brankoburcksen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to speculate about this, but it pertains to Evangelion 3.0.

I kept wondering to myself what point there was to make such a big deal about new characters by putting them in the trailer and causing a lot of talk just from a mural on an Eva Store. Yes, it's a good way to market a new movie even if the new characters' roles in the story are minimal, but that got me thinking a little more about franchising.

If Evangelion has been good about one thing these past fifteen years and more, it's selling a brand that keeps giving back. In recent years, franchising has become a paradigm. Movie studios milk big movies for all they're worth, stretching titles like Breaking Dawn and The Hobbit to the limits of what the story content can put on screen. Disney now intends to push Star Wars past infinitum. Anime itself is not immune to this.

Gen Urobuchi, the writer for Madoka Magica, imagines a series past the third movie, bringing on new writers even though the first series tied everything together very well and felt complete.

All that's to say the introduction of new characters in the second, third and coming fourth movie, besides offering new faces to market, may be there to set things up for something beyond the final movie. I doubt Anno would stop after these movies finish considering the huge sums of money they are and will make just to let Evangelion lie dormant for another decade while his middle age drifts toward seniority. While new characters can't do much in the way of story in just two films, they outline many creative possibilities. Moving the setting into space also encourages speculation about that.

I do believe it's very probable that after the fourth movie, instead of a complete ending, we're going to sit through another long list of credits only to be slapped with a preview for a forthcoming series to continue where the FINAL movie leaves off.

That's all mere speculation, but apart from marketability, that's what new characters offer, plus the popularity of the franchise is too tasty to just sit and cool. Since the third movie does move into space, I can imagine a scenario where Seeds of Life landed on other planets like Mars or one of the moons of Jupiter like Europa and the new story becomes, first a race to make contact with those other Lilim or Adams, and then a struggle to understand one another. It would be cool if the First Ancestral Race also played a larger role, but...

That's just my take on why we're getting more new characters in the third movie apart from marketing for just this movie.

This is unrelated, but is there a thread somewhere discussing the 13th volume of the manga?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

View Original PostSuperdarkpit wrote:Has anyone said anything about the newly found pink evangelion in the recent 3.0 trailers? C'mon! It's a Pink evangelion! How did that not attract a lot of attention!

It did. We talked about it in the trailers thread for quite awhile.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Someone still sane enough also pointed out that purple isn't less ridiculous than pink, my brother said the same thing as soon as I told him that there's a pink Evangelion now.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

airman4
Banned

Postby airman4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Well pink eva is probably eva - 08 ?

The pilot is unknow , maybe mari illustrous makinami ?

The pink eva got 8 eyes , one more than lilith ...

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Someone still sane enough also pointed out that purple isn't less ridiculous than pink, my brother said the same thing as soon as I told him that there's a pink Evangelion now.

The epitome of Evangelion tackiness ocurred when the LoL had the shape of friggin' Strada!

Yes, Eva 08 is most likely Mari's.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 pm

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:The epitome of Evangelion tackiness ocurred when the LoL had the shape of friggin' Strada!

Strada? What do you refer to? It means "road" in Italian but I don't get the exact reference.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Someone still sane enough also pointed out that purple isn't less ridiculous than pink, my brother said the same thing as soon as I told him that there's a pink Evangelion now.

I'm not bothered by the pink, but I just can't agree with this. Purple has been a color of darkness and shadow for a long time. It's a "legit tough" color -- sometimes ridiculous, but fully capable of representing something completely serious in a way that pink has never been able to.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

airman4
Banned

Postby airman4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 pm

WOW
People actually think that pink eva is a weak robot ?

Jesus , humans.
I'm not surprised , people actually judge things (and humans) by their skin colors , so why not for evas !

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:18 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:WOW
People actually think that pink eva is a weak robot ?

Jesus , humans.
I'm not surprised , people actually judge things (and humans) by their skin colors , so why not for evas !

Ridiculous, not weak. No one's ever said it was weak.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:Jesus , humans.

Welcome to earth, did you have a nice time on the moon with Kaworu?
View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Purple has been a color of darkness and shadow for a long time.

I didn't notice it at all, in Italy it's even considered an unlucky colour, especially inside theatres, because it was used by the bishops during Lent which forced theatrical companies to stop their works.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I didn't notice it at all, in Italy it's even considered an unlucky colour, especially inside theatres, because it was used by the bishops during Lent which forced theatrical companies to stop their works.

Dude, royal purple. Whether you noticed it or not it has a strong pedigree.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:28 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Dude, royal purple. Whether you noticed it or not it has a strong pedigree.

Royal purple goes back to ancient Rome or even before, but it doesn't say anything about darkness and shadow, it was a colour of power and wealth.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 pm

ya know what....maybe the characters WONT die!!! ya never know. the point of the rebuild movies is to do something different. why would they repeat what they did a decade ago?

airman4
Banned

Postby airman4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Welcome to earth, did you have a nice time on the moon with Kaworu?

I didn't notice it at all, in Italy it's even considered an unlucky colour, especially inside theatres, because it was used by the bishops during Lent which forced theatrical companies to stop their works.

Hahahah!

I was pointing that this pink eva could surprise actually.

Since the big black american eva got destroyed easy by eva 01 , i don't judge until i see the thing in action lol.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:ya know what....maybe the characters WONT die!!! ya never know. the point of the rebuild movies is to do something different. why would they repeat what they did a decade ago?

I've been vaguely suspecting this thing from a while, y'know.
View Original Postairman4 wrote:Since the big black american eva got destroyed easy by eva 01 , i don't judge until i see the thing in action lol.

Well, if you consider Shinji's spiral of desperation, purple doesn't really seem to be a lucky colour, for him at least.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

airman4
Banned

Postby airman4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Maybe at this point, the purple color is for Yui ...

Anyway i would love to see the white eva (eva 04 )
and a color brown eva.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 pm

View Original PostRj123541 wrote:If Gendo,Ritsuko,and Misato die how is the next movie going to play?
Well that would be one of the interesting things to explore of course.

Then again my list of deaths may have been too extensive... if, say, Ritsuko hasn't been given the time and development that episode 13 did and her scenes in the later episodes, for example, then her death carries no meaning. As is, killing her would only resonate with fans superimposing things from the series because she's basically been a non-presence so far. Same would go for Kaji, I would think. As is, the most shocking deaths I'm expecting would be the Gendo one, and Mari. Mari is probably the biggest stretch on my list; it really all depends on what the writing staff were able to come up with for her to do, probably.

Also if Shinji dies then, well, I'm calling it all over again like I did about a couple years ago: Asuka centered Instrumentality on the horizon. But who knows.

I definitely agree with Xard though, that they almost have to do Instrumentality in some form. Not only is it a fundamental element of Evangelion both structurally and thematically, but also in the greater culture that has existed around it. But moreso, the reason I think Anno will do it again is because he wants to. In both of the previous explorations of Instrumentality he was met with a sizeable amount of backlash, criticism, and rejection of both the concept and his presentation of it, I think. So he's probably very drawn to coming back to it yet again to reinforce what he has to say about the human condition through it.

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Strada? What do you refer to? It means "road" in Italian but I don't get the exact reference.

An anime, then again, people there have CAR names to boot.

Royal purple goes back to ancient Rome or even before, but it doesn't say anything about darkness and shadow, it was a colour of power and wealth.

And Eva 01 isn't supposed to be a powerhouse right?

ya know what....maybe the characters WONT die!!! ya never know. the point of the rebuild movies is to do something different. why would they repeat what they did a decade ago?

Because some people want "Kimochi Warui" all over again, just in high definition so their suffering is more enjoyable.

Apparently, the fans think "Happy Eva? I'd rather die first! I only want Shinji to angst and cry his tears out in fear and shock and be tortured to Lovecraftian levels of mindlessness!"

Enough suffering, Tabris will make Shinji happy, even if befriending is in the order, let's just hope he did changed his haxxor powers for high end destruction.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 pm

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:An anime, then again, people there have CAR names to boot.

Heaven Strada? First time I hear of it.
View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:Because some people want "Kimochi Warui" all over again, just in high definition so their suffering is more enjoyable.

I lolled.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”