A feedback post about mods

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

ran1
Banned

A feedback post about mods

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:08 pm

This post and the consequent bitching and moaning have been moved here from the FML thread and has been transferred into this thread, which originally began at this post -- http://forum.evageeks.org/post/565603/A-feedback-post-about-mods/#565603 --Tines
---------------------------------------------------------------

View Original PostDream wrote:Are you really asking a known troll to prove how fat people are "ideologically" Healthy (Whatever the fuck that even means)?

Bad ran! Courtesy towards other members and the staff is expected.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:37 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Bad ran! Courtesy towards other members and the staff is expected.

The staff isn't always courtesy to other members. just saying.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:47 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:Bad ran! Courtesy towards other members and the staff is expected.

I thought Bold Red Text is supposedly to be banned in this forum??
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:50 am

It was edited in by a mod.
Voluntary Illusion.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:32 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:It was edited in by a mod.

And he/she did not leave a remark that he/she edited it? Mods are fine to leave impression that an ordinary member can write in Bold Red Text ??
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 am

You should assume every instance of bold red text is by a mod, which is why normal users are not allowed to use it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:41 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:You should assume every instance of bold red text is by a mod, which is why normal users are not allowed to use it.

Would it be nicer if a mods just add a remark that he/she has edited the original text and for what reason?

If you think we the veterans should have already known, can't you spare a thought to those newcomers? Those people would have thought ran1 wrote those Bold Red Text. Basically your answer is just a lazy answer.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:44 am

The remark in question gave the reason.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:46 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The remark in question gave the reason.

But your answer still does not answer my second point - "If you think we the veterans should have already known, can't you spare a thought to those newcomers? Those people would have thought ran1 wrote those Bold Red Text."
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Tip offs. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Most people can figure it out from context relatively easily. All you need to know is that only mods can use red text, that mods can edit other people's posts, and that most people don't rebuke their transgressions in the third person.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:@symbv: Ran is personally addressed in the red lettering, that alone should be the tip off that someone else is speaking.

Coming from veterans like you two, this does not sound convincing though.

I wonder if you people and the mods know this forum is not viewed as newcomer-friendly? I am sure this kind of "most people can figure out" thinking from old chaps and mods contribute to this impression. Perhaps this explains why we don't get to see much of newcomers posting here?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:20 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I am sure this kind of "most people can figure out" thinking from old chaps and mods contribute to this impression. Perhaps this explains why we don't get to see much of newcomers posting here?

This red text case hardly contributes to anything like that. It's almost a universal thing on the Internet so most of the newcomers won't be confused by it.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:22 am

View Original PostOz wrote:This red text case hardly contributes to anything like that. It's almost a universal thing on the Internet so most of the newcomers won't be confused by it.

Examples?

And your tone seems I do know little about Internet, which is smug - I am in forums like MAL and S48 and a bunch of Japanese and Chinese forums (those count as Internet, right?) and I do not notice this kind of practice.

Again, I would like to hear from a newcomer saying that instead of another veteran commenting.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:33 am

Examples of what exactly? The various forums I've frequented over the years had similar techniques, but lots of them are already down so I can't bring examples based on my own experience - not that I would even remember where I would find concrete examples in the first place.

All of us veterans have been newcomers at some point and have learned the Netiquette through trial and error. Pretty much all new members here on EGF have frequented other forums in the past so it's not like they join without any idea of Internet tradition. Besides, as others pointed out already in this case it was fairly obvious based on the context. The discussion was heating up so the staff's interruption was to be expected and as others pointed out the red text itself had hints of not being written by ran himself.

Sure, it could have been better if the mod had included a note that the posted was edited by a mod, but it was hardly necessary since the context made it easy to understand even without that.

EDIT: That tone was not intended so I apologize for that. However, you can read that reply without that tone as well. It depends on how you interpret my post.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:51 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I wonder if you people and the mods know this forum is not viewed as newcomer-friendly?

We take our animu very serial.

That retainment being what it is may be an issue of discussion, but EG is far from the worst I've experienced. Likely because it emanates, not from behavior, but simply a somewhat-intimidating knowledge gap. For those who are eager to learn, they'll find a place here. Those who already know something and can contribute knowledge or a perspective that we've yet to come across, them too.

And to those who just want to pick the brain of a curmudgeonly British sage, we throw the doors wide open. :toothy:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:14 am

Symbv, it really seems like you're trying to pick a fight here. Wouldn't it be easier to just say "this would probably work better with a note indicating it was edited by a mod" or some such and move on?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:44 am

Forum Rules & Guidelines wrote:B. Formatting:
Avoid using altered font (color, style, size) unless it serves a purpose. Purely functional formatting includes italic, bold, and underline; larger text for headings; smaller text for “footnotes”, “postscripts”, or “asides”; coloring text that needs to stand out; and so forth. It is also permissible to occasionally format font for mere “effect”, e.g., using teeny-weeny font to emulate “whispering”. However, the gratuitous use of enormous text or making text colored for no discernible reason, among other things, is inappropriate.
Formatted text shall not be permitted to serve as one’s “default” (e.g., making the text of every post blue).
Bold red text may only be used by the moderation staff.
Broken bbcode tags are an eyesore. Make sure you employ them properly. Preview your posts before hitting Submit!

Bold red text may only be used by the moderation staff.

I don't know if that was just put in, but my guess was that it was already there.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:I don't know if that was just put in, but my guess was that it was already there.
You can check for yourself on the history tab that the current wording was established about 4 years ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 pm

If it already hadn't been established, I wasn't using BOLD RED TEXT

I imagine Tines or Faz or whatever relatively benevolent mod was active probably edited that one in
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm

This thread is awfully silly right now. Anyway, I'd put money on Tines being the editor.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 pm

The FML thread is in complete meltdown because of trolls and idiots.

FML
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”