What are you currently playing? [3]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:16 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Nice exaggeration.
Come onnnn, it's pretty bad.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:20 pm

That's cause it's not a dedicated controller with 8 direction switches, the 360 controller registers inputs fine

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:23 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Come onnnn, it's pretty bad.

My experience with some players disagrees.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:39 pm

All I know is I've heard people bitch, and not just on /v/, a lot about the "dreaded 360 dpad," and that the change to the Xbone dpad was probably the most well received thing to come out of the press conference.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:48 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:All I know is I've heard people bitch, and not just on /v/, a lot about the "dreaded 360 dpad," and that the change to the Xbone dpad was probably the most well received thing to come out of the press conference.

It's not that bad. Really, it was the only bad thing about an overall great controller.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:51 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:All I know is I've heard people bitch, and not just on /v/, a lot about the "dreaded 360 dpad," and that the change to the Xbone dpad was probably the most well received thing to come out of the press conference.

The 360's dpad is the reason why I prefer to play fighting games on a sony console instead, although its not horrendously bad it does feel awkward at times especially when trying to perform special moves. The controller did receive a redesign much later on, but I really didn't feel like dishing out $60 on an new controller just to get a better dpad.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Reus got broke by a patch. Can't do 2 hour games anymore. More blessing than curse.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:45 am

Been enjoying Poker Night at the Inventory 2, gotten the four bounty items, and most of the sets, just need to complete the two remaining bounty challenges before I can get GLaDOS to reveal hers.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:09 am

I'm [s]three chapters[/s] two episodes into Resident Evil: Revelations. The gameplay has proved disappointingly plain so far, and the vaunted atmosphere is doing nothing for me. I played Resident Evil 0 (again) last summer and this game's atmosphere doesn't do half of what that game's did for me. Even RE4 felt like it had more atmosphere than I've been getting so far out of Revelations.

The most fun I've had so far was the introduction to the dodge mechanic. Now that is something of which I can thoroughly approve, and provides a lot of what little survival-horror-ness this game has to offer. My first explorations into melee have been promising too, because it seems that with practice you could knife, back up, knife, etc, while carefully staying at the edge of the enemy's reach. All the shooting so far, though? Not so interesting, and it seems to be clearly the majority of what you'll do in the game. Shooting mutated dogs as Chris was by far the most boring part I've experienced, especially the part where you can't move.

Mind, I liked not only RE4, but RE5 as well, and even learned to enjoy RE6 for what it was. But those games had fun hit locations, and there was significant strategy to defeating groups of enemies, especially to doing so efficiently. RE:R so far seems like the worst of both worlds, having neither the atmosphere of the original breed nor the combat strategy of the newer breed.

But as I've said before, I like very few things at first blush, so don't be surprised if this opinion turns around drastically at some point.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks to BPES, I started playing Disgaea the other day on my PSP... I am now hooked. When I close my eyes, I see geotile combos waiting to be solved.

I also started Far Cry 3 (PC) - was watching a friend play it last week, and decided I rather liked the gameplay. Also Vaas is the best nuts villain ever. Of all time.

Finally, I was accepted into the World of Warplanes beta, so I'll be playing that at some point (because installation and updating is a bitch on my internet).

In the coming few weeks, I'll also be getting into the Metal Gear series. I am seriously grateful for PSN XD
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 am

So I started playing Pokemon Showdown. It's a nice alternative to actual metagaming, and much less stressful.. Just got my first win, too. The other guy forfeited against my Sand Storm Team. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 am

I seem to have developed a thing for difficult retro PC games recently, such as Half-Life, System Shock, and System Shock 2. I'm also considering playing Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000 (the original classic, apparently extremely difficuly AvP game, which is apparently much better than its successors and seems very scary from walkthroughs I've seen). I also recommend Black Mesa, the remake mod of Half-Life. It's free, and it's a complete remake of Half-Life but doesn't remove any game elements or degrade the game in any way. It's just like the original, except it uses high-quality models and textures (better than those used in Half-Life 2 IMO). The only problem is that currently the Xen chapter hasn't been added yet (it will be updated eventually, though).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:38 am

Fable One HD? Why yes, sir, I would buy that.

And shut up. Yes I know I can get it on the PC for $20. Yes I know this will most likely be a rip off considering. No, I don't care. Don't judge me! Fable is one of my favorite games of all time, and the first RPG I remember truly loving. (I actually played Morrowind before it but at the time I had no appreciation for how good Morrowind actually was. It wasn't until years later when I bought the Morrowind box set for PC on a whim that I fully came to understand what a truly amazing game it was.)

Also obligatory Oakvale music.

In other news...

We New Deus Ex Game now!

Dat some Bob Page I here? Hell yes.

Jesus Christ. We're still a week away from E3 and this is already the best E3 in years.
Last edited by CJD on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 am

I wish Sega could make a damn reboot of Shenmue, I reached disk 2 a few days ago and I realized that it's really too old. Except for its story which is why I like it a bit.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 am

Sega doesn't make good business decisions anymore, unfortunately. Well, not most of the time at least.

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 am

Yeah, all they can think about is Sonic, Sonic and nothing but Sonic, they make only games of him to make money with kids, they don't care about other games anymore, not that I'm trying to imply that Sonic is for kids, but I've had enough of his games.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:05 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:Yeah, all they can think about is Sonic, Sonic and nothing but Sonic, they make only games of him to make money with kids, they don't care about other games anymore, not that I'm trying to imply that Sonic is for kids, but I've had enough of his games.

SPOILER: Show

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SAYS OTHERWISE.

At least it's not Mario. According to Wikipedia, "the franchise has spawned over 200 games of various genres". Over 200 games. Christ, Nintendo.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:
SPOILER: Show

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SAYS OTHERWISE.

At least it's not Mario. According to Wikipedia, "the franchise has spawned over 200 games of various genres". Over 200 games. Christ, Nintendo.
They don't even make good games though, they can put Sonic everywhere and kids'd be happy anyway. Money ruins REALLY everything.

AlexanderSoryuu
Banned

Postby AlexanderSoryuu » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 am

Crisis Core - FF;

ZACK IS MAH African-American brother. Man, seriously this game rocks. I ain't into FF and apart from the most overhyped one and Dirge of Cerberus, I ain't played many, but this one just does it for me. No boring neckbeard turn-based faggotry, likable characters, cool story. The only thing that could have been more polished is the combat, but they were obviously trying to avoid DMC syndrome and opted for a more RPG-esque type of hack n slash, which is also pretty cool. Oh did I mention that Zack is mah African-American brother and basically as cool as me? Cause he is.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Sega doesn't make good business decisions anymore, unfortunately. Well, not most of the time at least.
Indeed VC4 is a pipedream :sniffle:

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”