Cloud Atlas

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Cloud Atlas

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 am

Trailer:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

Anyone read the novel? I'm looking foward to it. Although, it seems like it's either going to be hit or miss.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Cloud Atlas is probably the upcoming movie I am most excited to see, the trailer they released kind of blew me away.

I'm planning to read the novel, but not until after I see the movie.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 pm

It looks amazing but i want to read the novel before or after i watch the film.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm

I have no idea what I just watched but it sure grabbed my attention.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Has been on my radar for a while. It's a film that is either going to go down as a masterpiece or a messterpiece. Regardless, it is clearly the most ambitious project of the year and that always deserves praise & recognition.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Regardless i am still going to watch it.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey, that sounds kind of cool.

*watches trailer*

DOOOONAAAAA!!! :w00:
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:57 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Hey, that sounds kind of cool.

*watches trailer*

DOOOONAAAAA!!! :w00:

My exact reaction back when I heard about this film for the first time. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Doona in this movie and a friend of mine recommending that I read some of David Mitchell's work have made me decide to read this novel in my spare time and watch the movie when it comes out.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:41 pm

The novel is somewhat great, but it suffers from exactly the problem you might assume - some of the segments are better than others (though none are bad). It still demonstrates some amazing versatility on part of Mitchell though.

I have high hopes for the movie, even if I don't... uh, quite recognize some of the bits in the trailer. I don't recognize quite a lot of bits in the trailer, actually.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:08 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:The novel is somewhat great, but it suffers from exactly the problem you might assume - some of the segments are better than others (though none are bad). It still demonstrates some amazing versatility on part of Mitchell though.

I have high hopes for the movie, even if I don't... uh, quite recognize some of the bits in the trailer. I don't recognize quite a lot of bits in the trailer, actually.

If I understand it correctly then each part in the story is written like a different genre. There's a dramatic time piece, suspense/thriller, scifi/action, comedy and even post apocalyptic scenario. Very bold for an author. Even more so for a film director. I wonder if they're going to play each genre out with there respective camera angles and lighting.

Very excited to see this.

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

One of my favorite books. The movie looks great, but it's not exactly how I envisioned the world, and the "feel" of the book. The movie looks a lot more... soppy. Like, I dunno, it seems, Oprah-y. Or Hallmark Movie-ish. But not to an extreme.

I didn't recognize a lot in the trailer either, BornIn1142. Namely (and I'm going to spoil everything here):

SPOILER: Show
The part where Sonmi and Hae-Joo Im walk across a bridge extended between two skyscrapers, the part where those two are in a glass tunnel that's being flooded, and the part where one of the guards transporting Sonmi shoots another. They seem to be playing up the "exciting escape" thing (and possibly giving continuing Sonmi's story past where it ended in the novel, to give her a happier ending?). Also, I don't remember laser guns being used in Nea So Copros, I think they still used guns as we know them. Meronym had a laser gun, but it was colorless, which I appreciated.

Also, Zachry is a grown man instead of a young adult. And he's seen protecting a very young blonde girl, while he wasn't able to rescue anyone in the book.

And they've taken a lot of liberty with the reincarnations, which I'm fine with. Particularly confusing is how a reincarnation of Luisa Rey shows up in the rooftop party Timothy Cavendish attends (assuming "played by same actor" means "reincarnation"). In the novel, I'm pretty sure, judging by the comet-shaped birthmark and how Luisa recognizes the boat Ewing traveled on in the Buenas Yerbas harbor, it goes Ewing-Frobisher-Rey-Cavendish-Sonmi-Meronym. (But it's probably a lot less clear-cut than I make it out to be. Maybe just because somebody remembers or foresees something in another time period, that doesn't mean their reincarnation is there. Vyvyan has a dream about, presumably, a Papa Song's, but who would he be reincarnated as in that story?)

The relation between Rey and Cavendish is tricky, firstly because they should be alive at the same time, secondly because Rey might be merely a fictional character. (I refuse to accept "postmodernism" as an explanation.) Can a soul be in two bodies at once? Other than the "main character," Sonmi wanted her Abbess to meet her in another life, so Zachry's Abbess might be the same person. And maybe Zachry is a reincarnation of people the "main character" loved, like Hae-Joo Im and Sixsmith, just as a tentative guess. And maybe the "irredeemable bad guys" of each story (Goose, Vyvyan(?), Smoke, Noakes...) are reincarnations too.

The movie, on the other hand, has Tom Hanks playing Henry Goose, Isaac Sachs, Dermot Hoggins, and Zachry. It's a lot different, especially since one of those is such a minor character in the book. But it's the only way to make the "same actor plays same soul" thing work, I guess.

I was kinda happy to hear that, not only is a Caucasian playing an Asian, but an Asian is playing a Caucasian. And the casting for Nurse Noakes is pretty clever, too.

But the book itself is great. It's powerful, kinda punches you in the gut, and then gives you a very odd sort of catharsis. The characters and the settings are rich and three-dimensional even taken alone, and then how they all interact and connect takes it to the second power. If you like seeing crossovers between works in a shared universe, it's like that, except in one book. I think "sublime" is a good word for it. But maybe I'm overselling it?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Reviews out of TIFF have been exactly what I expected - those who love the film LOVE IT! And those who hate it HATE IT.

Love it:
[url]http://badassdigest.com/2012/09/08/movie-review-cloud-atlas-is-overwhelming-odd-and-utterly-completely-amazing/[/url]

[url]http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/cloud-atlas-2012-movie-review/[/url]

Hate it:
[url]http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/tiff-review-cloud-atlas-is-bold-messy-disappointingly-unimaginative-20120908[/url]

Twitter keeps up that narrative.
Needless to say I can't wait till October 26!

Tsachoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tsachoul » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't see how the film can possibly live up to the insane hype and ambition of the trailer.

But I want it to.
"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world assunder."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:35 pm

View Original PostTsachoul wrote:I don't see how the film can possibly live up to the insane hype and ambition of the trailer.

But I want it to.

Living up to the hype of the trailer would actually be easy for the Wachowskis and Tykwer. I mean, just so long as we see Hugo Weaving, Tom Hanks, and Halle Berry play the same characters in a few different time periods, then that's all the hype the trailer has built up for me. I've been tempted to call it the "Movie of the Decade," but considering what we've had to put up with so far this decade, that isn't gonna be a hard expectation to live up to either. ("This film was SOOOO much better than the Snyder, Bay, and McGee films between 2010 and today! Best movie of the decade!")

Living up to the hype of this film being a creative combination of movies like The Matrix and Lola Rent is much harder, as this film looks nothing like those two, and aesthetic expectations might be different for those having seen their older films. ("This film doesn't have one long pulsing electronica soundtrack? You're loosing you're touch, Tom Tykwer.")

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Nothing here not to like. They did a good job keeping strong v. weak narrative straight. I even got the bit about the battle for Tom Hanks' soul the first time through.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Saw this movie. Love this movie. It just might be the movie of the decade. (You know, the decade that was otherwise littered with Michael Bay, Zach Snyder, and McGee remakes, reboots, adaptations, and sequels. Not a whole lot of competition when you think about it.)

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Uh, this movie is one of those adaptations littering this decade...
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 am

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:Uh, this movie is one of those adaptations littering this decade...

I was making a point about the directors involved with the inferior adaptations, such as Zach Snyder's Watchmen, then the fact that they're adaptations themselves.

I mean, good things usually come from a film when the author of the original literature approves of the film adaptation, other than the contempt for Watchmen brought by Alan Moore.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I mean, good things usually come from a film when the author of the original literature approves of the film adaptation, other than the contempt for Watchmen brought by Alan Moore.

Maybe you're talking about causation versus correlation?
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Return to “Film and Video”