I've Never Seen A Good Asuka Cosplay

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

bogey
Embryo

I've Never Seen A Good Asuka Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby bogey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 pm

there have been some good Rei's, but even a lot of the Rei's are too sexed up and lack the waifish, pale creepiness of tv series Rei. Asuka's another story though, i've never really seen a great Asuka cosplay. but today I was flipping through channels and stumbled upon this show with this girl and thought 'damn thats Asuka!'

she's bella throne on a show called 'shake it up' :w00:

if that live-action eva movie ever happens she would be a good choice to play her
Last edited by bogey on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there was a hole here

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I started to doubt myslef while looking at a few cosplay pictures: Is Asuka supposed to look Asian or Caucasian? She was raised in Germany, but her mother was Japanese, right?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Kipi seems to have been the canonical Asuka cosplay at one time.

@riffraff11235
Father American, mother half German, half Japanese.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:49 pm

I object to the tendered notion, behold the twins

What pushes the vid into awesomeness is that strictly speaking she's being Shikinami there. Soyru would be pushing Rei out of frame and giving peace-signs. This Asuka wants to be left alone and is on the verge of giving Mr Cameraman a smack upside his head.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 am

It's hard to make that damn interface headset work, but apart from that Jersey is pretty good (this is the one that completely sold me on her take on Asuka). There are three reasons I think that set works: the outfit looks real, the hair looks like a natural color, and her attitude is spot on. Also, she legitimately looks like Asuka, which helps. I'm not as wild about the hair here, and I dearly wish she had a better plugsuit, but she's still the best Asuka I've ever seen.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:38 pm

I think Kipi and Jersey are the best Asuka cosplayers, myself.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:55 am

I think MideKyon is a nice-looking Asuka cosplayer:

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:36 am

My main complaint with Asuka cosplays is that-darn-hair.
Too many of them use that fake orangeish hair that sticks out from their skin.

Hard to find a good naturally red/orange haired Asuka.

Anyways, despite that, some Asukas I've picked up over the time:
SPOILER: Show

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
In and of itself, self-evident.

bogey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bogey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:00 pm

who is this? not a bad Asuka, I like her expression, but i'd need to see more pics

wow, hair & body wise that's the perfect Asuka. too bad she doesn't really have the face for it imo
there was a hole here

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:07 pm

View Original Postbogey wrote:wow, hair & body wise that's the perfect Asuka. too bad she doesn't really have the face for it imo

The hair looks okay from the back, but in the face shot it's obvious it's fake. Not such a hot rendition.

The Shikinami pic looks like it might be okay, but with only a back shot to work with it's hard to tell.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:18 pm

I like Jersey too. She is very natural.

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:Hard to find a good naturally red/orange haired Asuka.

A blue haired albino even more. It's not just the hair with Rei though. It's the whole face and body. They all lack the petit and fragility.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:29 pm

The big mistake people make when cosplaying Asuka is trying to give her red or orange hair. Forget DC/EoE, and forget the merchandise -- that girl has brown/auburn hair throughout most of the show, and most cosplayers seem to lose sight of that by focusing too much on the odd color shifts seen toward the end of the show. The reason Jersey works is because she used her natural hair with that outfit, and it matches what we see in a good chunk of the show (and particularly the bulk of the scenes we see of Asuka in her school uniform). Her hair also has some red in it, so when you see her in a plugsuit the hair still looks like a good fit.

You don't need hair the color of Asuka's to do a good Asuka cosplay, but you should at least pick a wig that looks natural as opposed to one that's a freakish orange abomination. There are lots and lots of wigs out there using ordinary human hair, so finding one that suits one's complexion and is still a good sell for some iteration of Asuka shouldn't be all that difficult. Combine that with a well-fitting outfit and the rest should fall into place naturally.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Found this randomly while searching for something else:

Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Father American, mother half German, half Japanese.

We really can't gleam much from this. Physiogomy can look Caucasian in hafus (half-Japanese, half-something else), or indistinct from a person whose parents are both Japanese. Its also possible to get asian physiogomy with non-asian hair colors in hafus.

There is also a girl out there with Asuka's racial background (whose name I forget, chime in anyone) who has red hair and a Japanese, "moon" face.

I always preferred Asuka have caucasian features, but all evidence points to me putting more thought into Asuka's gaijin identity than everyone that ever worked on any of the Evangelion projects, put together.
^several people on this board also meet this distinction.

There is no canon or empirical answer.
Last edited by arkiel on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 pm

I hadn't seen Jersey's cosplay before this thread but that's probably the best I've seen. Natural hair colour, the facial expressions, the poses and the clothing are all spot on.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:29 pm

In my opinion, this is one of the best Asuka cosplays:

As for Rei cosplays, I find that most of them are very lacking, few are good. However, I find that this is a good one:

I shall post more later, when I plug in my hard drive where I keep most of my Eva related things.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

bogey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bogey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:In my opinion, this is one of the best Asuka cosplays:

As for Rei cosplays, I find that most of them are very lacking, few are good. However, I find that this is a good one:

I shall post more later, when I plug in my hard drive where I keep most of my Eva related things.

neither of those are good cosplays
there was a hole here

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 am

View Original Postbogey wrote:neither of those are good cosplays
You should explain your criteria -- the Rei for example has good costume and manages to avoid the issue of eye colouration by pose.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

bogey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bogey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You should explain your criteria -- the Rei for example has good costume and manages to avoid the issue of eye colouration by pose.

I was a little harsh on Rei because the outfit was spot on, but that wig just looked too fake and weird-looking..and not being able to see her face doesn't help for a convincing cosplay. the Asuka cosplay he posted just doesn't look like Asuka at all

here's a decent Asuka cosplay I just found

there was a hole here

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:08 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:We really can't gleam much from this. Physiogomy can look Caucasian in hafus (half-Japanese, half-something else), or indistinct from a person whose parents are both Japanese. Its also possible to get asian physiogomy with non-asian hair colors in hafus.

There is also a girl out there with Asuka's racial background (whose name I forget, chime in anyone) who has red hair and a Japanese, "moon" face.

I always preferred Asuka have caucasian features, but all evidence points to me putting more thought into Asuka's gaijin identity than everyone that ever worked on any of the Evangelion projects, put together.
^several people on this board also meet this distinction.

There is no canon or empirical answer.

This has been my experience as well. I have a friend who, like Asuka, is one quarter Japanese, and three quarters of European extraction. She has a younger sister who is also a quarter Japanese, from the same parents. Somehow, the elder mostly got the Japanese look, and the younger got mostly the European look. The elder does not look entirely Japanese, of course, but it is obvious to anyone who looks at her that some of her ancestry is Asian; and while you can see some of the Japanese heritage in the younger, you have to look really hard to notice it. So really, as far as her appearance goes, it could go either way; she could look entirely European, or European with the barest traces of Asian ancestry in her features, or mostly Japanese, or entirely Japanese with inexplicably red hair. Anything is possible, really. It's complicated further because while we know that Kyoko's other half was German, we know nothing at all about Mr. Langley's ethnic extraction: was he Irish? Italian? German? Polish? Norwegian? English? Scottish? The name Langley is suggestive of the British Isles, but we don't even know for sure if that was actually his name. And even if that is his name, a lot of immigrants changed their names to something more Anglo when they came to the United States in order to fit in better.

I'm not sure whether I prefer Asuka with predominantly European features, predominantly Asian features, or a clear mixture of both, but like you I wish that the issue had been explored in greater depth. I had written a long essay about that, but then I realized I was getting off topic, so I'll post it elsewhere.
"Live, or die trying."

"Scars heal, glory fades, and all we're left with are the memories made. Pain hurts, but only for a minute, and life is short so go on and live it, 'cuz the chicks dig it!" -- Chris Cagle

For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being, those thoughts that wander through eternity, to perish rather, swallowed up and lost, in the wide womb of uncreated night? -- John Milton, Paradise Lost

The Mysterious Technique of the Cat

Return to “Fan Works”