Busy friend wants to watch Eva, so I cut out 5.5 hours of it

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ibot
Embryo

Busy friend wants to watch Eva, so I cut out 5.5 hours of it

•      
  •      

Postby ibot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:23 pm

First off, I'd like to say that I'm a massive fan of the series and rarely does a day goes by where the show doesn't cross my mind. I want to share the joy of watching this with the people I know, but they often don't have the time to sit through 10 hours of anime. My plan would cut the viewing time of the entire series + EoE to a little over 5 and a half hours.

So, I wanted to make it short as possible without skipping any major plot details. Consider it "Bare-Bones Evangelion." Here's the viewing order:

Episode 1
Episode 2
[Here I'll tell him how Shinji makes friends with Toji and Kensuke, and explain their story]
Episode 5
Episode 6
[Here I'll tell him how and why Asuka moves in with Shinji and explain how the Magi function]
Episode 9
Episode 15
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
End of Evangelion

I know it won't be absolutely perfect, but will he miss anything major if he watches the series in this order? What do you guys think?

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 pm

I will never, ever fathom why anyone would want to do this.

Also, considering Evangelion's story is one of subtle characterization, missing something "major" is only half the problem. The other half is missing something minor.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

ibot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ibot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:50 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I will never, ever fathom why anyone would want to do this.

My friend lives somewhat far away and, to be honest, he lacks the motivation and energy to watch something like this on his own. When he comes over in a few days, I think that'll be my only chance to show it to him. He wants to see it, but he just needs a little push.

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:Also, considering Evangelion's story is one of subtle characterization, missing something "major" is only half the problem. The other half is missing something minor.

Understandable. I'll be sure to rewatch the series in this order before the day of his arrival.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Tell him it's worth the time investment. If he doesn't agree... well, his loss.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Couldn't you show him the new movies instead to see if he's interested in Evangelion? It'd make more sense than butchering Evangelion like an 80s anime licensor would do.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

"Neon Genesis Abridgelion"? B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:51 pm

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:I will never, ever fathom why anyone would want to do this.

Indeed, I laughed when I read the title.

Evangelion is a head-fake, with the journey being just as important as the final dialogue, as the journey gives that dialogue context.

If you skip over scores of it there's a good chance the conclusions it makes will make little to no sense to you, or at best, you'll appreciate it superficially. You won't really feel what the cast has gone through to get to where they're at.

Your friend should be willing to go on the ride, or not bother. I'm not saying every moment within Evangelion is crucial, but to dissect so that he watches just the "key" elements is a futile exercise IMO.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 am

If your friend doesn't have time to watch the series, you could always just show New Movie Edition (1.xx and 2.xx). It takes up less time, considering there is only two releases at the moment, and your friend might get intrigued into finding out what the original series is about.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:37 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Tell him it's worth the time investment. If he doesn't agree... well, his loss.

Quoted for emphasis.

I stopped trying to push my interests onto my friends back in primary school I think, haha. Learned that everyone has to go their own way, you know. Just makes it all the better when you do meet people you can talk about this kind of stuff with...

It's why people come to a site like this - To talk and discuss Eva with people who actually like Eva.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 am

I've introduced three of my friends to Evangelion, and I would never even have thought of cutting anything out. Sure, your friend may get the general idea of the show, but he won't be someone you can have an in-depth discussion about the show with. Even if it does take him a while to watch the whole thing, I think that's what he should try to do. In those 5.5 hours, you could show him at least half of the series, and by that time your friend may be interested enough that he'll want to watch the rest of the series on his own. Then during your next meeting you can watch the movies together!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:29 am

Odds are he's just going to watch it in its entirety after you two finish the first time. Eventually. They all come back. They all do.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Episode 16 (and to a lesser extent episode 20) is quite possibly one of the most important episodes in Shinji's character arc, and one of the most important for revealing the true nature of how the Evas function.

I also agree with what has already been said, if they don't have time for the whole thing, it's their loss. Evangelion is not one of those show where you can just cut out half the series and expect the effect to be the same.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Have him read the manga where every page is golden.

The way TV episodes are done, there's a lot of filler to make 10 minute plots into 24 minutes. So all the stuff people glorify as being super-critical is usually gunk bs thrown in.

This is why I stopped watching episodic anime and prefer to go with anime movies.
In and of itself, self-evident.

Restriktion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Restriktion » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:21 pm

If you want to make it really short, you could show them a version of Death, and then End of Evangelion.

But i guess this will leave hundreds of unanswered questions and will postulate a lot of explanation. I recommend showing him the Rebuild movies, and maybe mention that they are a modern remake of a cult-animé in order to inspire him to watch it himself.

Fin.de.Siecle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fin.de.Siecle » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

I agree with everyone else: just show him the first two Rebuild movies, and hopefully he'll be so hooked he pursues the series and EoE on his own!

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Is 26 half-hour episodes that big a commitment? It's not like we're talking about an endless multi-season story here. Also I think there are a lot of thematic explorations even in the less story-heavy episodes. Seeing Asuka and Shinji's interaction in episode 9 for example. Picking and choosing what one finds most intriguing about the story isn't going to be the same as another's choice. I say let the art of the entire story unfold.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 am

You're proposing skipping over the introduction of Asuka.

Asuka!

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:18 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:You're proposing skipping over the introduction of Asuka.

Asuka!

Unacceptable. Alternately...

ANTA BAKA?!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 am

Terrible idea.

Either he has time to watch it properly or he doesn't

CaasiBoy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CaasiBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Holy shit, you might as well just show him End of Evangelion and be done with it if he's so "busy".

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Either you have time to watch a series divided into 30-minutes bits or you don't. I personally wouldn't ever take it upon myself to cut up source material.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”