EGF's Most Watched Movies of the second half of 2012

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 am

The 1996 version of Humanoids From The Deep and it was excellent, even better than the original from 1980. It would have been fantastic, but the middle had pacing issues.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I watched Brave once, The Amazing Spider-Man twice, and The Dark Knight Rises once.

Whereas Brave doesn't have the insanely creative premise PIXAR usually uses, the execution was good and the imagery was gorgeous. I thought it was pretty good. I do agree that it isn't PIXAR at their best, but I still enjoyed it.

The Amazing Spider-Man was really good. I liked the attention to characters this time around, and James Horner does a nice soundtrack. (I've always found his works memorable on some level.) The cinematography was really pretty as well.

The Dark Knight Rises was a bit bloated, therefore not as good of a movie as a whole compared to The Dark Knight. But the parts that were excellent were much better than TDK. Though I will say, whether or not one thinks Bane was a better villain than The Joker, I didn't think the movie didn't handle him as well as The Joker.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 am

Daigoro vs. Goliath and it was great, it was finally worth seeing what is considered one of the most obscure kaiju movies in history. It was whacky as hell and one of the humans, Kuma, was genuinely FUNNY. Not pervy rape joke funny, but just being an over the top character funny. Also, who builds bathroom stalls for 50 meter monsters?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm

How to Train Your Dragon. Well, it was on in the background while I was doing other things. List that as you will.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Death Kappa and it is the second best kaiju movie ever made only after Ultra Galaxy Legends. :clap:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 pm

The Grey

It was pretty intense and well acted. Not a classic by any means but still a movie worth seeing.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

Pretty disappointed with my unimpressive film watching total this month, it's the lowest it's been in a long time. Though, I spose I got some other stuff done (Graduating, SMASH!, general awesomeness).

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (2011) - Fucking awful, I only watched it to confirm my initial reaction to this film when it came out, which was that it was horrible.
The Machinist (2004) - Interesting, and man is Christian Bale skinny as hell, it's incredible that he can do that to his body and come back and do Batman. The movie was good, though the "twist" and mysterious stuff was a bit meh.
The Mighty Ducks (1992) - Greatest film ever.
The Mighty Ducks 2 (1994) - Greatest sequel ever.
The Mighty Ducks 3 (1996) - Wonderful end to the greatest trilogy of films ever.
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - Pretty cool, though I think it might be impossible for me to dislike a Spider-Man film.
Ted (2012) - Basically an overly long Family Guy episode, thankfully though it was a decent episode.
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
Batman Begins (2005) - The movie gets a bit silly and over the top towards the end, but the beginning and the introduction of Batman was brilliant.
The Dark Knight (2008) - Fantastic movie, the Joker is still incredible.
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - And yet Bane managed to equal him. This film is truly "epic". The power of Bane and the grand scale of the film is magnificent. The first scene is the greatest action sequence that I have ever seen, I could watch it over and over again.
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Birth of The Tenth! All Kamen Riders Together, an hour long movie dedicated to introducing Kamen Rider ZX and despite knowing next to nothing about Kamen Rider outside of a few one shots and Decade I enjoyed the hell out of it. Not only that, but there was an actual kaijin I did not think was utter trash! Tiger Roid will consume you! This rekindled my interest in the franchise enough to not only continue watching W and Black, but also start on Amazon today since someone uploaded most of the series at Dailymotion and I have to say these kaijin are probably the best I have seen so far.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Escape from the Planet of the Apes: It was okay, nothing like the first two movies, but okay. Also, no planet of the apes movie ends well...
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 am

saw the Total Recall remake.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting but it's not any good either.

Rent/torrent/Redbox/Netflix it when it comes out on DVD but if you really want to see it in theaters, make sure you see it for free.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:24 am

^How was Colin Farrell? I always get a sick glee from watching him bumble through a terrible movie.

Watched Elias Merwige's Begotten. Certainly the most black metal film ever made, right down to the elaborately intentional shittiness of production. All the rape and masturbation and dismemberment doesn't hurt either...no wonder Arizmenda, Din of Awakening, and (I think) Thantifaxath felt the need to make albums about this. It is dazzling in a fucked-up way, making for some truly striking visual moments as the great mess of black and white nonsense splattered all everywhere occasionally coalesces into action.

That said, the movie doesn't quite pull it off: for every one of these moments there's like thirty minutes of agonizingly repetitive minutiae acted out by the bizarre cult of shambling barbarians who wander randomly about Merwige's blasted post-industrial garbage dump of a landscape. Perhaps Merwige might have taken advice from black metal here: if your mode of expression is the repetition ad nauseam of the same riff, you had better make it a goddamn good riff. Transilvanian Hunger would do it four years after this, Filosofem would do it six...really, is it impossible on film? Clearly not, since the scene of Mother Earth dragging her son through the forest is just as meticulously plodding but absolutely fascinating to watch. The conclusion I have to come here, then, is that the film's problems are a combined result of the writing (such as it is) being often uninteresting and the actors (such as they are) being often unable to lend it interest. All right, so God cuts his guts out while twitching spastically, so the hell what? This is momentous as fuck right here but while Merwige certainly writes the scene as creepy, it seems about as important as, well, a retarded man in a wheelchair mutilating himself. If the point of the movie was that this is a correct evaluation of the importance of the death of God, then I could totally understand it, but given that the movie ends with some slightly goofy, slightly sublime redemptive flowers thing, I can't imagine Merwige was trying to be that in-your-face nihilistic. (For what it's worth, I have no idea how you'd direct someone in that role: "Okay, more autistic flapping and bouncing! No, but don't get out of the wheelchair or anything...okay, good, keep doing that, keep doing that...now, stab yourself! Do it some more! Yeah, chop that shit up! And pull the beef liver out of the fake belly, just like we practiced...")

Anyway, it was good in that it made me type this much. Could probably have used another few drafts - I realize this sounds dumb in a movie with no dialogue but seriously it's preferable to another forty-minute single-shot of cannibals in dorky hats attempting to dismember fake corpses. At any rate, this guy needs to make another movie. Between this and Shadow of the Vampire, he had a first-rate thing going.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Harry Potter 7 part 2: Yeah, the music is good, everything else is crap.

I wonder what will be the next series of books that is tranformed into award wining movies...

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Harry Potter 7 part 2: Yeah, the music is good, everything else is crap.

I wonder what will be the next series of books that is tranformed into award wining movies...

The harry potter movies won awards? I was not aware of that. Well as long as the transformers movies don't win anything...
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:08 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:The harry potter movies won awards? I was not aware of that.

I think they did. I mean, aren´t awards just given to the most popular movies, regardless if they are good or not?

Conan The Barbarian(the old one):Yeah, the music is the best part of the movie. Good old classics.

Mr. Tines: Oh dear god, my body isn´t ready for more of this crap.
Last edited by Justacrazyguy on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:08 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:I wonder what will be the next series of books that is tranformed into award wining movies...
Fifty Shades -- now that much mutated Twilight fanfic has knocked JK Rowling off the top selling position on Amazon...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

"Teen Choice", well, at least their honest their p

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:08 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Fifty Shades -- now that much mutated Twilight fanfic has knocked JK Rowling off the top selling position on Amazon...

But Professor, he said award winning, and while that's still a dubious distinction, I don't think any beginning with "Teen Choice" count.

Personally, and while not a book series, I'm looking foreword to a reboot of Avatar: TLA. I believe the gusto of the new sequel series will give the franchise the clout it needs to pull it off.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Since short films count, Kamen Rider Kuuga vs. Go-Jiino-Da. After marathoning Kamen Rider Amazon and working through W and Black I figured I might as well get into either another showa series or an early heisei series. Because I seriously doubt Kuuga was anything like how he was in Decade (a useless sidekick) I decided to take on his series next and started with the eleven minute special. Not bad, but nothing much to it, just a clip show, a fight scene, and a music video. Also unlike the rest of the heisie riders, this is all he has for a movie so it seems easy to finish.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 am

This is Spinal Tap

So, why exactly is this film so awesome to this day?

It's hard for me to name the best scene, turning it up to eleven of course is a classic but all in all I might lean more towards the goddamn Stonehenge - or maybe it's Lick My Love Pump...

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Garo: Red Requiem and it felt more like a long episode rather than a movie; at least it was interesting to have horrors that were cannibalistic.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:38 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:This is Spinal Tap

So, why exactly is this film so awesome to this day?

Aside from the scenes you named plus the interview about their former 'spontaneously combusting' drummer, it's kind of just ok isn't it?
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Film and Video”