Question about Death and Rebirth

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
thegendopose
Embryo

Question about Death and Rebirth

•      
  •      

Postby thegendopose » Wed May 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey guys new here(waves). I first watched the original Eva TV series in about 1997 or 1998 and absolutely loved it, I watched it several times since. I'm watching the TV show again at the moment and I'm really enjoying re-experiencing it again particularly since some of my memories of it had faded a little(It's been quite a few years). To that end I have a question regarding the content of the movies.
Since End of Eva repeats footage from Death and Rebirth and D&R is itself a retelling of the series how important is to watch Death and Rebirth before End of Eva? Does it contain any new footage or scenes linked to EOE?. It's not that I didn't enjoy Death and Rebirth, I did however it's particularly hard to come by on DVD these days(thankfully i already own the series and End of Eva on R1 DVD). I suppose I could hunt out a fansubbed version if they haven't all dissapeared due to it being licensed ages ago.
Any help on this matter would be gratefully appreciated.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 30, 2012 3:03 pm

Some links to our wiki pages to help get you started:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Death

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion:_Rebirth

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion:_Death_and_Rebirth

Hope that helps!

Just know that Manga Entertainment's copy of Rebirth is essentially Air (Movie Episode 25', the first half of EoE) copy and pasted into the corresponding part of Rebirth.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

thegendopose
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thegendopose » Wed May 30, 2012 3:22 pm

I take it the extra footage mentioned in the death Evawiki that was later released for the TV episodes is reffering to the "director's cut" episodes on the platinum DVDs? (I own the original platinum thick box release). So if i watch the director's cut eps and then EOE I'm not missing anything?.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Death has a few re-animated cuts in amongst the recap material -- like Rei smiling after Shinji tells her she should doesn't look like a muppet. Apart from things like that, having the DC material giives the essentialchanges.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thegendopose
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thegendopose » Wed May 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks both of you that's really helpful. Glad I'm not missing much as some mo-fos on sites like amazon marketplace and ebay want a bit too much for the D&R movie.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm

You can skip Death and Rebirth. It can make a good refresh if you're going to watch The End of Evangelion without having time to watch the whole series, but otherwise, at this point, it's something for obsessive collectors like me.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed May 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Funny thing that this thread makes pop into my head, theres a 2.22 panel on YT with Spike Spencer referring to 'THE scene...with THE body' to great lulz from the assembled masses, but he refers to 'that' scene being in D&R, not EoE when it is of course famous as the opening scene of EoE.

Im presuming the voice cast did D&R then came back some time later for the 26' section of EoE?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Or that they are not necessarily Eva experts themselves (I know Spike Spencer doesn't even watch anime on his own time - voice acting is just a job).

On topic, I consider Death worthwhile as an exceptionally classy recap episode, with tons of neat editing tricks and a bit of new material. I usually suggest it for people to watch after finishing the series and immediately before starting EoE, if for nothing else than to set the mood (that end credits sequence is practically worth the price of admission all by itself). If you're watching the dub D&R also has (mostly) the same cast re-recording old scenes with a slightly different script, which can be kind of interesting if you care about that sort of thing.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:29 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Or that they are not necessarily Eva experts themselves (I know Spike Spencer doesn't even watch anime on his own time - voice acting is just a job).

True enough, the only one of the voice cast I know that is an outright anime fan/otaku is J. Michael Tatum (Rebuild!Kaji) who in the aforementioned panel goes into to some quite deep and extensive discussion about aspects of Eva (both NGE and Rebuild) and the end of which Spike goes "Yeah, what he said".

Yeah, on topic - if youre looking for D&R, theres plenty of cheap DVDs of it floating around. Worth getting if youre a completist. Even if youre not itll only set you back a small amount of cashola.

thegendopose
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thegendopose » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm

I will probably pick it up at some point due to my obsessive collectors nature.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm

PROS:
New v-a for each scene
An introduction to the next movie (EoE)
Explains most ideas from the show

CONS:
Simply a cut and paste of the entire series
The story line is muddled and might seem confusing for people who haven't seen the show
'Rebirth' is simply episode 25' (was intended to be a warm up for EOE)

-I only watched DnR because it was an EVA related feature film and because, being an avid fan, I felt it necessary to watch it, simply because it existed. It's not the sort of thing a fan ignores, but there ins't much point watching a watered down version of the series. But you might as well watch it, just to say you've seen it.

(FYI: I didn't watch rebirth, for OBVIOUS reasons.)

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 pm

View Original PostTomasJC wrote:PROS:

'Rebirth' is simply episode 25' (was intended to be a warm up for EOE)

And only about two-thirds of 25' yes? It finishes with the harpies circling above Unit 2 IIRC.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:38 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:And only about two-thirds of 25' yes? It finishes with the harpies circling above Unit 2 IIRC.

That's right- it was onlyNear completion when DnR was released.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”