Which evangelion scene scarred you the most?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 01, 2012 9:35 am

View Original Postsum_exsanguis wrote:did anyone notice it said scarred not scared?

Since I saw the rebuilds first I would say when the Eva/Angel got tore apart by 01 with the dummy system...that was rough haha

It's rare to find someone who saw em first... why don't you talk a bit about what it's like to see em the other way around?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Tue May 01, 2012 9:51 am

Well it was my gf who brought home 1.11 and then 2.22 right after watching Redeath at Otakon over the summer. To be honest when I finally bought the platinum NGE set I had forgotten a good portion of it all so I went back and re watched the rebuilds and it honestly amazed me how close some things were but not others. Also, the rebuilds don't have time to do the battle the angel arc NGE had so they definitely feel like they have a better movement until you hit the back third of NGE. However, nothing can ever top episodes 25 and 26 haha
No weapon against us shall prosper

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am

So, did you miss Mari while watching the original?
And did you get the impression that there's a substantian difference between either version of Asuka (or for that matter, the other mayor characters), or did they just take different paths?
Did you think either version of the story lacked the depht of the other?
And what general impression were you left with after watching the Rebuilds, but before starting with the original?
(just to hear it from someone with a different perspective)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Henry Spencer
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 pm

View Original Postsum_exsanguis wrote:did anyone notice it said scarred not scared?

It could be seen as scarred in the form of "this scene scarred me for life" or whatever. Except a (generally) much more mild version.
In Heaven everything is fine.
2% of people on internet forums are impressionable n

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Tue May 01, 2012 6:33 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:So, did you miss Mari while watching the original?
And did you get the impression that there's a substantian difference between either version of Asuka (or for that matter, the other mayor characters), or did they just take different paths?
Did you think either version of the story lacked the depht of the other?
And what general impression were you left with after watching the Rebuilds, but before starting with the original?
(just to hear it from someone with a different perspective)

I didn't miss Mari because when my gf saw her on the cover she went "who is that?" so I knew she wasn't coming so I never thought of her. The biggest character differences to me are Asuka and the doll, Shinji seems a lot more almost emotionally worldly and cynical right away in the rebuilds, and the storyline of Gendo actually moving closer to Shinji. I honestly believe in the sequal theory after watching the original so I account for at least Shinji being different because of that. I don't think either story lacked, although I do think the series was more psychologically indept because there was more time (26 epi vs 2 movies so far). As for what impression was left...I went to private schooling my whole life so I understood and got all the religious references right away so I found that awesome and I saw that there was deep thoughts in it so that lead to a higher appreciation. However, to give a timeline in how long it took me to see both, I saw the rebuild after Otakon 2011, so August, and I just saw NGE after my gf finally relented and let me buy it at Katsucon in 2012. I watched all of NGE and EoE in like a 25 hour span so I was pretty hooked hahaha.
No weapon against us shall prosper

KimochiWarui
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KimochiWarui » Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

You guys may think that NGE isn't really that scary, but you haven't seen [url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/NeonGenesisEvangelion?from=HighOctaneNightmareFuel.NeonGenesisEvangelion[/url]

THAT.
If I were to run away...where the F--K would I go!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 pm

View Original PostKimochiWarui wrote:You guys may think that NGE isn't really that scary, but you haven't seen [url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/NeonGenesisEvangelion?from=HighOctaneNightmareFuel.NeonGenesisEvangelion[/url]

THAT.

Meh. As nightmare fuel goes, most of that . . . isn't. Don't get me wrong, NGE has a fair bit and EoE lots more, but that page dramatically oversells it and includes a bunch of lousy examples.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

KimochiWarui
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KimochiWarui » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Meh. As nightmare fuel goes, most of that . . . isn't. Don't get me wrong, NGE has a fair bit and EoE lots more, but that page dramatically oversells it and includes a bunch of lousy examples.

I agree with a lot of the examples being bad, but some of them got me.

Maybe it was because I was up at 4 AM though, to be fair.
If I were to run away...where the F--K would I go!?

Redaye
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Redaye » Thu May 03, 2012 2:41 pm

"Scarred" is a stretch at my age, but I'll go with Naoko's homicide of Rei I. I could barely see Rei even getting a decent ass-warming over the deal, seeing as how Rei's inquiry was rather innocent of anything proactively accusatory, per se'. I had a similar experience myself in elementary school, after revealing some (colorful) things my father had to say about an unpopular teacher after a PTA meeting. While I appreciate "decorum" now, I was probably a second grader at the time, and for simply telling it like I heard it I got my ass whupped. :stars:
Process: Attempting to Comprehend
╔═══════════════════════════╗
║█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║ (20%)
╚═══════════════════════════╝
Estimated Time Until Completion: RUNTIME ERROR 601

Son of Lilin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Son of Lilin » Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm

The scene that strikes me the most is in episode 22 when Asuka screams before she says "my mind has been raped." The flashing words on the scream complement the sound of her screaming so well. It sends chills down my spine.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Asuka's corpse comes to mind.

katiethingy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby katiethingy » Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Basically a good chunk of EoE. The whole dummy plug system too.
Kids these days.
My Tumblr
I am Loki, of Asgard. And I am burdened with glorious purpose.

EVAJedi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVAJedi » Mon May 14, 2012 10:57 pm

I think the one scene that first got me was when Rei was told to go out and fight when Shinji could not do in the beginning.

Seeing her all bandaged up, the rattling knocking her off the stretcher and her in pain...with Shinji getting blood on his hands...(God such a beginning)...I was taken aback and knew I was about to experience something I had never seen in anime or any medium before.

Everything after that had crazy moments as well, but that one set me up for it all.

Also, in response to those talking about the "Nightmare" comments, especially the youtube comments about the music and menu...for ever and ever when I hear the Hallelujah chorus I will remember Jesus resurrecting and Asuka getting mind-raped - what a beautiful world...
"Don't deceive, don't be deceived...don't show weakness, show your spirit....that is all."

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue May 15, 2012 12:15 am

View Original Postkatiethingy wrote:Basically a good chunk of EoE. The whole dummy plug system too.

Just out of curiosity, you mean the unfortunate scene in Ep. 18 or the whole concept of the dummy plug?

On topic: Hmmm... Maybe Episode 22, the way Asuka is after her "Mind-Rape" It just feels a bit heartbreaking seeing her like that :ehh:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 pm

The Director's Cut of Asuka's mind-rape particularly creeped me out.
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 am

I really think that early elevator scene between Shinji and Gendo is the creepiest moment of the series. Mind rapes and the like don't phase me anymore.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:48 am

nothing scares me because i'm a big girl now

i can watch eva with the lights off
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:36 am

Another one i forgot: The JSSDF Invasion in EoE, it's just a little horrible to see specialized soldiers carnaging defenseless scientist. The girl carrying her friend/whatever and then getting shot in the chest comes to mind :(

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:26 am

Yesterday I was taking a break from my homework, and I decided to watch episode 22. I have to admit that I forgot how chilling it actually was.
Asuka: "Help me! Help me Kaji-san!"
Kaji: "You're just a child Asuka."
Asuka (to Shinji): "What are you doing here?! You won't do anything! You won't help me! You won't even hold me! You're nothing! Nothing!"
Child Asuka: "Look at me!"
*Phone rings*
Child Asuka : "Are you lonely?"
* Silence*
Child Asuka: "Are you lonely?"
Asuka: "No! Don't touch me! I can live by myself! Do you like me? I don't need anyone! Do you truly like me? I can live by myself!
Doll: Liar.

That particular part is very disturbing, in my opinion.
Last edited by ReiAyanami25 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:55 am

Every scene where Unit 01 will go beserk still scares me a little bit, to think that humanity puts all the trust they got in something that horrifying and without knowing wether it could turn against us
(and eat us:end of eva trauma:) or just stay as it is.....
Pardon me, but that is quite scary, and yet i still can't watch episode 19 without freaking out when unit 01 is eating zeruel and it suddenly just looks back at me :ohgod:.
Maybe watching EVA for the first time when i was 8 didn't quite help..... but you know, even as a kid i always liked EVA, no matter how much scary it was for me back then lol.
It's too late to pry away.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”