Why do we hate Angelic Days Again?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

Why do we hate Angelic Days Again?

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 pm

So, I am working my way through the Angelic Days manga and frankly, I find it a disarmingly charming take on the alternate world Shinji saw in episode 26. However, every time I see it referenced here, the tone seems to be very negative. That even extends to other sites and blogs covering Eva. Now, keep in mind I only have read volumes 1 and then 5 (poor buying order), but aside from the art being messy (and it is SO messy), I can find little fault with it. What am I missing here?
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

Well, I can tell you that you're not alone on that view. I've read the manga myself, and I don't find anything particularly wrong with it. It's just your typical Eva Fluff Manga. It's decent, but hardly terrible. Though, I can't speak for everyone here, since no one has talked about it much.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm also a non-hater. It's not great from what I remember, but I never felt the need to hate it. If it had tried to be more then it actually was then maybe I'd have found reason to hate it.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I like Angelic Days, I admit it has shortcomings but I haven't found reason to 'hate' it.
Voluntary Illusion.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 pm

I think it is fine as a shoujo take of the Evangelion at School alternate world.

It is true that it is not much discussed, but you can find why some dislike it by going to this old thread:
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/2912/MANGA-GOS2-Angelic-Days-what-a-let-down/
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:35 pm

i liked it, not too much wrong with it but I do like Campus ap and Shinji Raiseing Project(should be reciveing vol 10 tomorrow :w00:) better...
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:48 pm

I liked volume 5 that I personally would like to think of it as canon. It makes Gendo MUCH more human and illustrates just how different Shinji is from his father.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 am

I hate it because they got the name wrong.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:45 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I hate it because they got the name wrong.

They got the name right here in Italy but I still don't like it, because of the ugly drawing and the wrong pairing, actually other than that most characters just looked wrong to me.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:54 am

I didn't hate it. If the art were better, it would probably be sitting on my manga shelf.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 am

A certain one-letter monikered walking wannabe personaility cult and his followers seem to consider things like Angelic Days as fan-fiction and not the 'true' Eva.

Me, Ive read the first couple of episodes but have been meaning to read that, Raising project and campus apocalypse properly

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:A certain one-letter monikered walking wannabe personaility cult and his followers seem to consider things like Angelic Days as fan-fiction and not the 'true' Eva.

? Im new so um what?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am

I liked angelic days, I love romance and stuff like that so naturally I would enjoy it (plus its a LAS ending), yes it has it's faults but it was a nice little AU manga even if the art burned the eyes.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:? Im new so um what?

He was probably talking about V.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 am

Man, let's not get into a canon debate. I just thought it didn't earn some the true vitriolic stuff I have seen surfing the archives. I really enjoy it. Then again, I have this weird personal philosophy about Eva that says EVERYTHING is canon, but I understand that your milage may vary.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 am

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:Then again, I have this weird personal philosophy about Eva that says EVERYTHING is canon, but I understand that your milage may vary.

Well, Angelic Days is definitely officially sanctioned but it is also definitely a spinoff set in an alternate world. Not sure how it counts in terms of canonicity though. Guess that means Angelic Days is not really canon in terms of conventional understanding. But then Jayfive is talking about "true EVA" which can mean something different from "canon".

I understand mods in this forum built up a guideline of "What is Canon?" in Evangelion. I would just share it here for what it's worth:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:What_Is_Canon%3F
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

@Shinchan: "Wrong pairing"? Classy. Cracks like that make me think you want be in stupid shipping arguments all the time. Hint: there isn't a "right" pairing, particularly in an AU.

OT: I actually enjoyed it more than any other AU published to date. Yeah, the artwork left a lot to be desired, but the story was straightforward and it actually ended in a timely fashion (unlike some AU stories I could name . . . ). Also, the codas were very nice. No real basis for complaint on my end.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hint: there isn't a "right" pairing, particularly in an AU.

There is a "right" pairing.... the one in your mind, that is :)
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:21 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:There is a "right" pairing.... the one in your mind, that is :)

Nah, that's just a preferred pairing. It's no more right than any other.

But yeah, for my own headspace? So very, very right.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:He was probably talking about V.

You know what, i do remember this site now. I recall his whineing about the Shinji rasieing project and Shinji and gendo could never get along. Ummm yea, thats why its an alt universe... its for fun.

You'll never hear me say its better the real eva cuz its not, but thats why love it. The fact that makes light of such dark people is why i find it so funny! Its not trying to be normal eva.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”