Rei I - Kaworu connection?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

Rei I - Kaworu connection?

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:35 pm

ok, so as Naoko is strangling Rei I we see a close up of Rei and apparently she has a vision of Kaworu's face just before she dies, unless I'm misinterpreting the whole scene. After thinking about it for about, oh five minutes ^_^;;, i still can't figure out what were supposed read into this.. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but looking for a thread with Rei and Kaworu is like looking for the proverbial needle in the proverbial haystack. ^_^
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:15 pm

I think they'd go good together. I feel that the angel of free will (Tabris a.k.a. Kaworu) should fill in the missing pieces of a girl who seems to have no free will at all.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:25 pm

I think that the idea is that Rei sees Kaworu coming for her the same way everyone sees Rei coming for them during Third Impact.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:51 pm

but the only reason Rei came for everybody during Third Impact was because it was, uhm.. Third Impact and everyone was coming together to become one big sea of tang. I don't see any reason why Kaworu would come for Rei, or even if he did, how was Rei II brought about?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:27 pm

Yea its true Lilith and Adam arn't death, personified.

heck Angel boy mayhave not even exsisted at this point. Lets just call it for shadowing and leave it at that.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 pm

darth_mark wrote:I don't see any reason why Kaworu would come for Rei, or even if he did, how was Rei II brought about?

ReiII co-exists quite happily with ReiI being inside EVA-00

Kaworu was there with Rei in the post-Instrumentailty to chat with Shinji; and Rei did another of her enigmatic appearances at the end, as she did when we first saw her in episode#1. If that Fusion can transcend space and time in the shape of Rei, why not as Kaworu?

But was he indeed Rei's true heart's desire?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:13 pm

So does that mean that all of the Rei's have seperate souls seperate from each other and Lilith?

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm

heck Angel boy mayhave not even exsisted at this point. Lets just call it for shadowing and leave it at that.

i would, if it was just a random image inserted into the scene. but we actually see kaworu's reflection in Rei I's eyes as she's being strangled. so she's definitely seeing him.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:27 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:So does that mean that all of the Rei's have seperate souls seperate from each other and Lilith?

They may be sharing it; rather like the Feynman/Wheeler "one electron" theory (see e.g. http://www.superstringtheory.com/forum/hawking/messages2/135.html) - something that has been referred to in the NGE context as "Quantum Magic", as something bound up with the mysterious book-ending sightings of Rei.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:57 pm

I seem to remember Reichu telling me theirs just not enough information given on how a sole works in NGE to answer questions like that.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
SEELE 08 wrote:So does that mean that all of the Rei's have seperate souls seperate from each other and Lilith?

They may be sharing it; rather like the Feynman/Wheeler "one electron" theory (see e.g. http://www.superstringtheory.com/forum/hawking/messages2/135.html) - something that has been referred to in the NGE context as "Quantum Magic", as something bound up with the mysterious book-ending sightings of Rei.

So if they are all sharing the same soul......why would the Eva unit 00 go out of control, in theory Rei should have a perfect synch ration than.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:51 am

SEELE 08 wrote:So if they are all sharing the same soul......why would the Eva unit 00 go out of control, in theory Rei should have a perfect synch ration than.

Liltih's soul in Adam's body - sounds like a recipe for compatibilty issues (i.e. low synch from soul to body, psychological distress); and until ep#24, Rei is not consciously aware of her own inner nature (otherwise Zerogouki would have been redundant except as a technology exercise for NERV).

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Realy? Liliths sole and adams bodie seemed to work fine for Rei in EoE. . .

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01 pm

Actually it's more like adam in liliths body at that point :P

I agree with the point that lilths soul in adams body = not good news.

About the 3 reis would it be possible for there to be 3 differnt souls but all three of them consisting of the same things? Like they both are a mix of lilith and yui, but with differnt amounts of each to create a new soul and differnt soul. Rei III was a total space case compaird to Rei II. Not that Rei II isnt a space case, but she seemed to have more a human soul then Rei III.
If anyone gets what I'm saying congrats :P
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:42 am

Rei III was a total space case compaird to Rei II. Not that Rei II isnt a space case, but she seemed to have more a human soul then Rei III.

to be fair Rei III was just like a newborn except with a lot of memories already put in her head, Rei II was probably just as spacey when they first made/birthed/incarnated her.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 pm

But Rei III was missing something, i believe Shinji said something like that, also Rei III didn't have the recent memories of Rei II in the eva battle.
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:53 pm

But Rei III was missing something, i believe Shinji said something like that, also Rei III didn't have the recent memories of Rei II in the eva battle.

i think they could only "upload" all but the most recent memories, or maybe her memories were still all jumbled up, i seem to recall she was started crying when she saw gendo's glasses in her room but couldn't quite figure out why. i think given time she would've gotten as close to "normal" as Rei II did.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:28 pm

DatDude wrote:Realy? Liliths sole and adams bodie seemed to work fine for Rei in EoE. . .

That was Lilith's soul + Lilith's body + Adam's soul + Adam's body in the mix.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:44 pm

and the NGE big books of sole physics conferms your theory? :lol:

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:37 pm

darth_mark wrote:i think they could only "upload" all but the most recent memories, or maybe her memories were still all jumbled up, i seem to recall she was started crying when she saw gendo's glasses in her room but couldn't quite figure out why. i think given time she would've gotten as close to "normal" as Rei II did.

This was my inital understanding of what was going on. Rei III was a clone in the classic sense, whose memories were regularly fed into a database, and then downloaded into the next clone.

However as you say, her statements with the glasses dispute this and indicate that something else was going on.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”